Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
WCW Nitro returns to Tuesdays tonight! Tune in for

NWO NIGHTCAP

Eric Bischoff's late night talk show will be on the air, are you ready for it? We've been waiting MONTHS for this!

You'll also see:

MONGO VS SICK BOY

Yuji Nagata vs Saturn

Sting and Nash vs Hall and Giant for the Tag Titles

The Dancing Fools vs Muta and Tenzan

TOKYO MAGNUM VS ULTIMO DRAGON

Hennig vs Luger

Hart vs DDP

AND SO MUCH MORE (including Flapjack Norton)

Tune in at 7:30 for the preshow, 8 PM for Nitro and stay tuned after Nitro for a special documentary on SATAN!

http://www.psp-tv.com/r/BadMoviesWorseWrestling

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
You know, Martel showed up last week and had his last match; was it the chair, the Slapjack, or the one-two that did him in?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DynamiteKidd posted:

You know, Martel showed up last week and had his last match; was it the chair, the Slapjack, or the one-two that did him in?

I assume the SLAP JACK but I have no clue other than NITRO IS ON THE AIR!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Nitro will be on the air TONIGHT at 8 PM! WCW lost the ratings badly, how will they respond?

Tonight:

JIM DUGGAN VS THE BARBARIAN

NWO NIGHTCAP

JIM NEIDHART VS SCOTT "FLAPJACK" NORTON

DEAN MALENKO VS CHRIS JERICHO (C) FOR THE WCW CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE

CURT HENNIG VS MONGO

SCOTT HALL VS STING

BRIAN ADAMS VS GOLDBERG (C) FOR THE TITLE

HOLLYWOOD HOGAN VS DDP!

AND SO MUCH MORE!

There should be a preshow at the special start time of 7:20, followed by Nitro at 8 PM and who knows what after Nitro!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
I'll be late to the party, but I'll be there. Don't let the name scare you or fool you, baby.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Brian Adams challenging for the world title? Goldberg can't possibly stand up to that guy and.... and uh that move he has, his finishing move.

For all I know this is Adams's first singles match on Nitro, by the way

As an aside I just realized WCW had Darsow and Adams and never tried to pair them up, put them in paint, and call them the Destruction Crew or something. When they first got Tenta they called him Avalanche, man.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There is a major storm here so I have to cancel the preshow, Nitro is still at 8.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DynamiteKidd posted:

Brian Adams challenging for the world title? Goldberg can't possibly stand up to that guy and.... and uh that move he has, his finishing move.

For all I know this is Adams's first singles match on Nitro, by the way

As an aside I just realized WCW had Darsow and Adams and never tried to pair them up, put them in paint, and call them the Destruction Crew or something. When they first got Tenta they called him Avalanche, man.

I think the idea of ripoff of a Road Warriors ripoff was too far down the rabbit hole for them. The idea that we lived in a world where WCW had Demolition and the WWF had the Road Warriors was interesting though.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
There will be Nitro tonight, I'm at work so I can't get the card but I imagine we'll get some hot nWo Nightcap action!

ZDar Fan
Oct 15, 2012

If I got the date right, the Nitro card is as follows:

Barbarian (w/ Jimmy Hart) vs. DDP

Tokyo Magnum (w/ Disco Inferno) vs. Psychosis

Brian Adams (w/ Vincent) vs. Hacksaw Jim Duggan

Eddie Guerrero vs. Juventud Guerrera

Lizmark Jr. vs. Stevie Ray

Curt Hennig (w/ Scott Norton) vs. Konnan

Chris Jericho vs. Rey Mysterio Jr.

Scott Hall and the Giant vs. Sting and Bret Hart

And, of course, the triumphant return of nWo Nightcap!

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I'm surprised Barbarian and Duggan have only become Nitro fixtures again over the last few weeks, I guess Hogan remembered they were his friends

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT AT 8 PM

WCW ROAD WILD 1998

nWo NIGHT CAP vs THE TONIGHT SHOW!

The greatest comedian in the history of Late Night teams up with the Biggest Icon in Wrestling to battle Jay Leno and Diamond Dallas Page!

Elsewhere on the card:

MENG VS THE BARBARIAN

PUBLIC ENEMY VS THE DANCING FOOLS

SATURN VS RAVEN

REY MYSTERIO JR VS PSYCHOSIS

STEVIE RAY VS CHAVO GUERRERO JR

STEVE "MONGO" MCMICHAEL VS BRIAN ADAMS

JUVENTUD GUERRERA VS CHRIS JERICHO FOR THE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE (with special guest ref DEAN MALENKO)

THE NWO VS WOLFPAC VS GOLDBERG BATTLE ROYAL

AND A SPECIAL MINI CONCERT WITH COUNTRY SENSATION TRAVIS TRITT!

This is the biggest event in wrestling/comedy history so tune in at 8 PM for ROAD WILD 98!

There will most likely be a preshow at 7:30 but I can't guarantee this right now.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Mere minutes until the greatest PPV in history.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Best Travis Tritt concert ever? Or greatest Travis Tritt concert ever?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TONIGHT, ALL OF THE FALLOUT FROM THE TRAVIS TRITT CONCERT!!!

DDP and Jay Leno beat Hogan and the eMale, how will the nWo respond?

Goldberg beat both nWos, how will both nWos respond?

Elsewhere...

Barbarian vs Jim Duggan

Saturn vs Kanyon

SICK BOY VS MONGO

Rey Jr vs Liz Jr vs Psychosis

Lex Luger vs Bret Hart for the US title as WRESTLEMANIA X EXPLODES

Kidman vs Juvi for the tiny men title

RAVEN VS HORACE

MENG VS GOLDBERG FOR THE WORLD TITLE

AND SO MUCH MORE

TUNE IN AT 8 PM FOR NITRO!!!! You don't want to miss this week as next week EVERYTHING CHANGES.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just realized when Kidman showed up on the card for this show that he hasn't been seen much over the last several months, he wasn't even coming out with Raven (although granted I think only Sick Boy and Lodi have been seen around Raven much since the Flock stopped watching from the front row).

I imagine most of the Flock guys had matches on Thunder and Saturday Night when they weren't jobbin. You'd think they kicked Van Hammer out to do something with him but he hasn't been seen on Nitro since the greatest one-off tag team ever, the Juicy Hammers, had their one TV match.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Devo is on, Nitro in minutes!

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
TUNE IN AT 8 PM FOR NITRO.

THIS IS THE NITRO YOU HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR.

NO SPOILERS.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Hogan is calling out Goldberg. COULD THIS MEAN???

Cactus Jack
Nov 16, 2005

If you even try to throw to my side of the field in a dream, you better wake up and apologize.
We need a bumper of Meng getting sprayed with mace. This is my only wish in life right now.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Cactus Jack posted:

We need a bumper of Meng getting sprayed with mace. This is my only wish in life right now.

It's honesty sad that nothing big came of that. You could have had him be THE monster of the promotion based on that one segment.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
As the resident fellow in Warrior Studies research, I am very sad to have missed this historic Nitro...perhaps the most important Nitro in the history of our sport. I was moving.

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine

Maxwell Lord posted:

It's honesty sad that nothing big came of that. You could have had him be THE monster of the promotion based on that one segment.

I think there were only two reasons Meng ever got pushed

1. He had just lost to Goldberg pretty bad and needed to get some credibility back

2. He was about to lose to Goldberg pretty bad and needed to get some credibility quickly

Seriously Goldberg had more matches with Meng than anybody and Meng's 0-6 in that series (though they've only fought twice by the most recent Nitro we've seen, and one of their subsequent matches is at a house show)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
"I THOUGHT YOU WERE DEAD"

LAST WEEK THE WARRIOR RETURNED TO WCW. WHAT WILL HAPPEN THIS WEEK?

7:30 PM Pre Show

8 PM NITRO

WARRIOR.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
Warrior was on the juice, big time.

Tune in for Nitro!

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

MassRafTer posted:

Warrior was on the juice, big time.

Tune in for Nitro!

Same Warrior Time? Same Warrior Channel?

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Speak to me, Warriors!

Talk to me, Warriors!

Last week, after years of absence and a sporadic career, I stood face to face with the man I, at one time, looked up on as my mentor.

It’s common knowledge that if you want to excel in any field, you study the masters, emulate the champions, model the virtues of the preeminent individuals in that particular field.

You, Hogan, were the model of champion, the master of everything I tried to emulate. Yeah, last week, when I looked through your eyes into your soul, I saw little or none of the virtues I remember, or anybody here remembers.

And if there are any, they lay shrouded beneath layers of deceit and infamy!

Frankly, Hogan, how your present condition manifested itself isn’t the material that needs to be analyzed and brought to closure on the world’s number one wrestling program. Bottom line is, you sold out to mediocrity. And when that became difficult, you sold out to mindless self-pity.

You traded being one in a million, for becoming one of the millions!

I hear you! Patience, Warriors. Patience is a great virtue.

You, Hogan, miscalculated, for you never assumed someone would come forward that knew the difference between a rebellion and a revolution. And that, Hogan, will become your gravest mistake. For tonight, Hogan, everything that you revere is now, from this moment forth, threatened!

Tonight, Hogan, your entire world is going to turn completely upside-down. For tonight…for tonight, Hogan, I launch, unleash the power of the Warriors! I let loose the O.W.N. revolution. The One Warrior Nation revolution!

A Hero, a one-time hero, with an unlimited yet undisciplined mind is a dangerous thing.

I intend, the Warriors intend, to eradicate that danger. You, Hogan, will be destroyed. I intend…I intend to show the world that a revolution is built on better ideas, not belligerent idiocy. I intend to show the world a revolution is based on magnificence, not malfeasance. I intend to show that a revolution is based on courage, not cowardice. And that, Hogan, is all that you need to know. Next week, Hogan, the revolution continues. Same Warrior time, same Warrior place, same Warrior channel!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
Mongo is bringing the band back together (the Horsemen)

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I just realized that between Warrior and the million nWo segments, Juventud, the cruiserweight champion, was nowhere to be seen or heard from on Nitro. Brian Adams and Hennig got to have long matches, though. Also Mongo; every time Mongo has a match you expect it to be a quick squash but he spends most of them getting beat up by guys who've never won on Nitro.

As an aside, I know Mongo and Malenko are doing the 'will they form the Horsemen again' deal, but Benoit is out injured or something and Flair is suing the company. I know that storyline's kind of in a holding pattern until Benoit can work but was there anyone in mind to be the 4th guy?

Oh and just because I'm going to point out that in the main event, Nash and Goldberg vs the Giant and Hogan, Goldberg won by pinning Curt Hennig

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003

DynamiteKidd posted:

Also Mongo; every time Mongo has a match you expect it to be a quick squash but he spends most of them getting beat up by guys who've never won on Nitro.
I suspect that was because his offense was truly awful. It's kind of amusing when he would do one of those not-quite-a-moves and Schiavone would say something like "Mongo definitely did an actual takedown there!" He really challenged the play-by-play skills of a guy who already calls way too many things a "side slam."

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
When you put it that way, it's hard to see why he was always pushed as a singles guy even in the Horsemen. You could definitely protect a guy like Mongo, make him look good and hide his faults as a worker, by making him the hot tag guy. I mean it works for Titus O'Neil and did wonders for Roman Reigns.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

DynamiteKidd posted:

I just realized that between Warrior and the million nWo segments, Juventud, the cruiserweight champion, was nowhere to be seen or heard from on Nitro. Brian Adams and Hennig got to have long matches, though. Also Mongo; every time Mongo has a match you expect it to be a quick squash but he spends most of them getting beat up by guys who've never won on Nitro.

As an aside, I know Mongo and Malenko are doing the 'will they form the Horsemen again' deal, but Benoit is out injured or something and Flair is suing the company. I know that storyline's kind of in a holding pattern until Benoit can work but was there anyone in mind to be the 4th guy?

Oh and just because I'm going to point out that in the main event, Nash and Goldberg vs the Giant and Hogan, Goldberg won by pinning Curt Hennig

Well yes, Goldberg pinning Henning was prime stupid, there's no way around that. It was just Hogan not wanting to eat another pin, saving the Giant for...something. I'd say a 1vs1 match with Goldberg but they already did that and he didn't get pinned there either, and not wanting Goldberg to get DQ wins two Nitros in a row. (at least I assume that's what happened last week. It was very confusing and I wasn't paying much attention).

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

DynamiteKidd posted:

The original plan was for Goldberg to be in the Horsemen but the Flair stuff didn't get settled in time. By now the plan was Flair, Malenko, Mongo and Someone in Back.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

MassRafTer posted:

The original plan was for Goldberg to be in the Horsemen but the Flair stuff didn't get settled in time. By now the plan was Flair, Malenko, Mongo and Someone in Back.

Wait, so if Goldberg was made a member of the Horsemen, would that have meant Malenko would be out?

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
You're straining credulity by suggesting there were long-term plans for Goldberg besides "he winz a buntch" scrawled on a napkin in crayon

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
I had nothing to do this evening so I looked up the DDT Digest report on the episode that'll be shown tomorrow. We can look forward to three good TV matches, so that's a plus, plus a lot of guys who haven't been seen on Nitro in a while.

And also Nash asks DDP to join the Wolfpac as though that would make sense at this juncture.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

DynamiteKidd posted:

as though that would make sense at this juncture.

This can really be appended to any sentence describing something that happened in WCW.

Abrasive Obelisk
May 2, 2013

I joined th
ROVPACK IN THE HOOUUUUSE!
:vince:
he still knows...

DynamiteKidd posted:

I had nothing to do this evening so I looked up the DDT Digest report on the episode that'll be shown tomorrow. We can look forward to three good TV matches, so that's a plus, plus a lot of guys who haven't been seen on Nitro in a while.

And also Nash asks DDP to join the Wolfpac as though that would make sense at this juncture.

in real life, DDP wanted to join the Wolfpac

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!
If we could keep discussion in the WCW thread that'd be great just because I like the listings to be as free of spoilers. Not a big deal either way.

LAST WEEK:

The Deadman joined Team WCW! No not that weak rear end Undertaker, The Rowdy One, Roddy Piper joined DDP and THE WARRIOR to lead the charge for WCW!!

THIS WEEK:

JIM POWERS VS WRATH

NORMAN SMILEY VS SCOTT "FLASH FLAPJACK" NORTON

BRIAN ADAMS VS EDDY GUERRERO

RIGGS VS THE CAT

MARTIN JANNETTY VS KONNAN

HIGH VOLTAGE VS LODI AND SATURN

EVAN KARAGIAS VS JUVENDTUD GUERRERA FOR THE CRUISERWEIGHT TITLE

DISCO INFERNO VS CHRISTOPHER JERICHO FOR THE TV TITLE

"HOLLYWOOD" "HULK" HOGAN AND BRET "THE HITMAN" HART VS STING AND LEX LUGER

PLUS GOLDBERG IS IN ACTION!

It is capital letter action all night on NITRO!

7:30 for the pre show, 8 PM for NITRO and who knows what after!!!!!!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DynamiteKidd
Jun 11, 2015

by Shine
Sorry, I didn't mention any matches specifically because I knew you'd post the highlights later, but it won't happen again regardless