Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

inthesto posted:

Like I said, Medion's family situation is suspiciously close to the Beoulve's.

Except for the fact that Balbanes at least had the decency to croak in the game's backstory instead of giving us what Scenario 2 had.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
So this is largely going to be a ranged-attack force? Looks like it right now, anyway.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.

Glazius posted:

So this is largely going to be a ranged-attack force? Looks like it right now, anyway.

Mwahahaha.

In other, unrelated, news I need to go finish that effort post with the history of Julien and the Vandals.

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012
A part of why Julian's personality/history seems so awkward is because his story arc began in a previous game, entirely - Shining the Holy Ark.

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
I just finished catching up with the LP and enjoyed what I read. Hope to see more.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 74: Give me a break, again?

Okay, it's been a while. Let's get some reminders on what's going on.

:j: That's why Isabella likes the church. She often comes to visit Father Scholar.

So Domaric left his second wife to go bang a nun. Real bang-up guy.

:j: The man who loved Melinda lost hope and cast himself into the sea. Such an undeserving end...

:v: Medion used to visit once in a great while, but Melinda has never returned.

Okay, so I forgot to capture most of the stuff in Destonia, but somehow I did have the mental acuity to cap all the further evidence of how terrible Domaric is. Drives a man to suicide, and denies his wife the ability to visit her family. What a swell guy. I'm glad he was our commander for scenario 2.

I'll snag all the interesting stuff in Destonia in the next update, but for now let's just move forward.

:hist101: If so, heading to the castle is pointless.

:hist101: Don't talk like that. If the castle is safe... They'll be executed by General Steel.

But if that is the case, it may be possible to get through quickly.

Who's there? Who are you?

;-* I will show you what I mean. Watch closely in front of the hill!

Whoever that is appears to be assisting us. I suggest we listen to them.

As an advisor, I strongly urge caution. However, Gracia is right. Heed the advice and use the rocks to progress cautiously!

So one long valley with a giant mechanical doohickey at the end. Guess what the doohickey does.

If you guessed that it's yet another laser eye, you'd be right. The Destonian soldiers exist here merely to demonstrate what the Walcuray does and then die in a single turn. The map gives us a bunch of rocks and nooks as hiding spots, which makes the fight fairly easy. Also, the map is littered with lizardmen and masked priests, enemies we saw in chapter 5 of the first two scenarios. Nothing new here, really.

Isabella is Grace/Uryudo with zero changes. Not having her for this fight means we'd have to have stocked up on healing drops back in Destonia. It's a minor inconvenience if you know about it coming up, but if you don't, Gracia is stretched for MP the entire time. Or you just egress out and buy the supplies you need.

Bridgit is a mage with a fun set of spells. Bolt isn't practical for general use, but Drain sure as hell is. Once Bridgit gets Drain 2, she can drain MP from enemies, which is fantastic.

Drain also looks metal and heals one for one. A shame that you can't really get it in the first two scenarios.

One annoying thing is that rocks break after each shot from the Walcuray. This would be a problem if the enemies were difficult or if the Walcuray did more than 15 damage per shot.

There is a masked mage blocking off a little cave, and I believe you all know what that means.

Strangely, the thieves don't trigger until you actually entire the bonus dungeon. This is nice, since it removes the annoyance of shuffling your characters near the entrance until you can get all your 7 MOV characters in there on the same turn.

There's a ton of sand which impedes centaur movement, but you still use Donhort to rush straight down the middle. Since the thief's exit is in the top-right corner, he'll have to run back towards Donhort in order to escape.

And that's that. Takes 3 or 4 turns at most.

Julian, Bridgit, and Isabella take a bit of a beating outside in the meantime, but it's nothing major. This is significantly harder with Edmund in place of Isabella, but still easy overall.

Isabella's casting animation. Shameful.

Gracia can be useful too! Sometimes. :saddowns:

I can't remember if it's come up in this LP yet, but the level 2 blade critical can actually inflict the frozen status, which prevents enemies from moving. Like most critical-based status effects, it's not useful because the critical itself does so much drat damage.

When we get to the end, there's a few pegasus knights to tussle with, and no hiding spots remaining.

Oh, ok.

Cleaning up the chaff afterwards is no big deal.

:thekate: I think the Walcuray is controlled by sending thoughts through the staff. How can such a thing exist?

It's true. Just as Cyclops said, the Bulzome high priest must possess the staff. The force we've just defeated was just a garrison.

;-* Hurry! They want to take over the castle swiftly, and are demanding the authorities surrender.

You know, if the Destonian army surrendered right now, I think everybody would be 100% ok with that. Except for Domaric, but gently caress him.

That voice... I think that girl must be speaking to us from the direction of the castle!

;-* I will reveal myself after you make it through. Hurry!

drat that sect. Even if the castle walls have been breached, I don't think the gate will fall so easily... Let's hurry to the inner castle wall, Julian.

NEXT TIME: Don't you dare repeat a gimmick in consecutive battles. DON'T YOU DARE

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
For all the poo poo he does, Domeric is still only the second worst person in the game.

Also good to see this again! YAY UPDATES!

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Ardeem posted:

For all the poo poo he does, Domeric is still only the second worst person in the game.

Also good to see this again! YAY UPDATES!

Uh, wow. Who takes first prize, then? I mean, I recall we established a lot of people in the Republic are also kind of lovely, but I can't remember any standouts. Or do you mean one of the vandals?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Lotish posted:

Uh, wow. Who takes first prize, then? I mean, I recall we established a lot of people in the Republic are also kind of lovely, but I can't remember any standouts. Or do you mean one of the vandals?

One of the Vandals.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!

Ardeem posted:

One of the Vandals.

They don't really get enough screen time to demonstrate how extraordinarily lovely they are, though.

With Domaric, it's just one more "what a piece of poo poo" moment after the next

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Are we really sure at this point that Domaric isn't one of the Vandals? I mean jesus.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

KataraniSword posted:

Are we really sure at this point that Domaric isn't one of the Vandals? I mean jesus.

He hasn't turned blue yet, and nobody is accusing him of stealing the youth of children, so he probably isn't. It wouldn't surprise me at all to learn that it's a problem he's working on solving though.

Nephrite
Aug 18, 2006
Lipstick Apathy
This next battle is probably the hardest one in the entire series, in my opinion. It's such a pain in the rear end.

EDIT: AND IT HAS THAT HORRIBLE MUSIC TOO, gently caress.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Well that bodes well. There have been some obnoxious fights in this series already.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
I didn't find it too bad even on my first try with Edmund and no spare healing items. It's somewhat obnoxious, but it's not terrible.

Also, the game's entire soundtrack is pretty bad. It's not very fair to single out a single track.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Wait, they're going to make you fight the Laser Eye twice in a row? What the hell.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Ardeem posted:

One of the Vandals.

I'm really unsure about who you're talking about, because there's only a few Vandals in the game.

Glazius posted:

Wait, they're going to make you fight the Laser Eye twice in a row? What the hell.

Yes they are.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Galm.

Back in Shining The Holy Ark there was a woman who got kidnapped from her village and was discovered a few weeks later wandering the forest outside of Galm's mansion with no memory of what had happened to her. 9 months later she gave birth to a half-vandal. 18 years later the game happens and Galm drives his (heavily implied) son insane as part of a nature vs nurture experiment about the existence of free will.

During the game he kidnaps one of the PCs and returns her with no memory of what happened. (The art book confirms that she's also pregnant.)

The character we're about to meet is a couple of years too young to be Lisa's daughter unless there was an error with the timeline

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Galm.

Back in Shining The Holy Ark there was a woman who got kidnapped from her village and was discovered a few weeks later wandering the forest outside of Galm's mansion with no memory of what had happened to her. 9 months later she gave birth to a half-vandal. 18 years later the game happens and Galm drives his (heavily implied) son insane as part of a nature vs nurture experiment about the existence of free will.

During the game he kidnaps one of the PCs and returns her with no memory of what happened. (The art book confirms that she's also pregnant.)

The character we're about to meet is a couple of years too young to be Lisa's daughter unless there was an error with the timeline

Ah, yeah, now I remember. I had forgotten about the implied Shining the Holy Ark Lisa rape. I didn't realise that had happened until someone mentioned it in this thread months ago. I remember first playing that game and when Basso mentioned that Lisa was taken by a monster, it was the vampire in the Aboriginal Mansion and that Galm had rescued her. However, I know now that Galm was not so nice with this.

Also, I'm guessing the son that went mad was Panzer but I never put two and two together until now.

I may have to try doing that game at some point, although I have a tendency to overlevel like a bitch by farming the Hattori in the East Shrine, mainly so I can just spam Aura in every round for the final three bosses or so.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Hoss Corncave posted:

Ah, yeah, now I remember. I had forgotten about the implied Shining the Holy Ark Lisa rape. I didn't realise that had happened until someone mentioned it in this thread months ago. I remember first playing that game and when Basso mentioned that Lisa was taken by a monster, it was the vampire in the Aboriginal Mansion and that Galm had rescued her. However, I know now that Galm was not so nice with this.

Also, I'm guessing the son that went mad was Panzer but I never put two and two together until now.

I may have to try doing that game at some point, although I have a tendency to overlevel like a bitch by farming the Hattori in the East Shrine, mainly so I can just spam Aura in every round for the final three bosses or so.

yep.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

Is Scenario 3 shorter than the previous two? Or are there second promotions now? I ask since your starting party is already promoted and that seems kinda counter-intuitive for characters that will be in your party for the whole scenario.

Also we need a title change to reflect the new scenario

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Scenario 3 is longer than the other two. That's all that I'll say.

Also, thanks for reminding me to update this LP later today. I'll bug one of the mods for a thread name change once chapter 1 is done.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 75: Well, at least the boss is easy

What should we do, General Steel? If they attack again with that flying weapon, Destonia Castle will fall.

I know you would dearly love to pit your steel against us but alas, we are in the air!

General Steel, you're responsible for the castle defense. Although I will succeed my father as emperor, what good will it be if there's nothing left to rule?

So you plan to flee? Even though surrendering Destonia Castle means throwing away the majesty of the Empire?

My patience runs thin. If you value your lives, give up.

Please help me, Steel. Father entrusted the castle to you!

What's Bresby doing now?! We haven't heard from him since he left to get reinforcements. If only they had made it back by now...

So Destonia Castle has been left in the hands of a pair of cowards. Wonderful.

What is this?

As soon as Goriate's attention is diverted, get as close to the staff as possible.

Wait! Who are you?

I'm Jane... from Remotest...

Remotest? Ah, I remember, it's on the outskirts of the continent. Who are you, Jane? Do you follow Bulzome? Wait... you're different. I can feel both light and dark power in you...

I... I...

Enough! I will hear your decision now!

Gracia, saving the castle is more pressing than listening to Jane!

As you said. Let's concentrate on battling the Bulzome Sect, Sir Bresby.

Are you absolutely sure you have a plan to defeat the Walcuray, Gracia?

I will use the power of the Staff of Besem against their staff. The light power will disrupt the dark power, causing them to lose control of the Walcuray for a time.

I understand. Julian, guide Gracia to the staff and stop the Walcuray.

But remember, they won't lose control of the Walcuray for long. We must defeat it quickly.

Yep, it's another Laser Eye fight. Fortunately, the Walcuray hasn't powered up and it's fairly easy to evade its damage either way. Also, Goriate is a wimpy boss only featuring an undercosted Zephyrus and not much else.

The straight path down to the Walcuray has a bunch of nooks along the sides, with various old enemies lying around. None of them are dangerous, even with extra damage from Negative Bolt coming in.

Negative Bolt still barely tickles.

If you picked up Edmund instead of Isabella, this fight can be a bit rough due to having no healing power outside of Gracia's awful MP pool. Even with Isabella, it's a good idea to keep a healing drop on each character for emergencies.

Other than that, it's just a slow push forward and killing the enemies on the ramparts as they drop down on you one by one. Also, once you get halfway there, this scene triggers:

It must be Bresby! Prince, the reinforcements have arrived!

Hear me, Bresby... My life is in your hands. Please drive them away!

Hehehe. I see Gracia is with the Julian army.

The Godchild of Elbesem? Gracia...

I won't let the Imperials prevail. Behold the power of the Walcuray!

If the prince depends on you, I'll cut you off from him. Come Gracia, against me you will meet your match!

Julian picks up his level 3 blade critical, Dimension. It has a chance to instant kill and looks flashy without being impressive. Honestly, sword rave was the best of the sword criticals.

Gracia can be useful for keeping HP levels topped off due to having to rush the Walcuray and eating Negative Bolt eventually. Doubly so since deactivating the Walcuray is going to eat all his MP anyway.

Brigit doesn't give a gently caress about healing, though.

This screenshot couldn't look any sillier, really.

Stupid Walcuray! What did you do to the Dark Staff, Gracia?

Ugh... No... It won't respond! Bah, I'll defeat you first and fix the staff later. Come!

You'd think the high priest of a world religion would know about these kinds of things.

After that, it's beating down Goriate's two mooks and then cleaning him up solo.

The priest goes first, since it can heal and all. This doesn't take much time.

Wind Storm is not a scary spell. Goriate is easily the wimpiest of the 4 priests.

And that's support mook #2 out.

:shrug:

Thanks for telling us what happened off-screen, Kate.

The Walcuray has been relieved of its duty and is returning to Bulzome Temple.

Jane, why are you...

So you led the Julian army here?!

I did... but I won't let you die, High Priest Goriate!

Wait! What are you going to do with him?

I have cooperated with you. I beg you, please let me take the high priest peacefully!

I wish we could curbstomp Goriate right here, but he lives if we answer no. Also, we need to answer yes in order to recruit a character later on.

Thank you... Julian...

They have escaped...

Curse that Walcuray. We would've been victorious but for its power.

If our castle had been taken by the Bulzome Sect at such a dire time...

You were patient until I came with reinforcements. Well done, Prince!

I put my trust in you and you didn't let me down, Bresby. Who is this mysterious young man you've brought with you?

This is Gracia, leader of Elbesem Church. He has knowledge of the ancient Walcuray weapon. We couldn't have saved the castle without him.

I've heard the leader of the Elbesem Church possesses abilities that far surpass those of normal humans. Is that why he was able to defeat the invaders?

He wasn't the only one. The entire Julian army came to the Empire's rescue. They are all extremely powerful warriors!

Thanks to your assistance, Destonia Castle is safe. You have my sincerest thanks.

Mageron may be a wimp, but at least he's kind of nice.

Easily impressed... as always...

Me? What's wrong, General Steel?

This bunch Bresby brought back is a rag tag collection of freaks and useless ruffians!

General Steel! Your words are extremely rude considering these people came here to save the capital. Apologize!

Apologize? I, Steel? Who exactly should I apologize to, Bresby?! Are you saying I should apologize to Donhort, who raved madly along with Tybalt of the Republic? And you, Gracia of Elbesem... Do you intend to meddle in the emperor's affairs? We will allow you in because of your unique standing... But that's it! Destonia Castle is not a place for mere mercenaries.

Are you still allowing class to decide who gets credit, Steel? Even to deny the leader of the army responsible for saving Destonia?

I'm responsible for Destonia Castle, I will use my own judgement. The Julian army is partially responsible for defeating the Bulzome forces. I'll give them no more!

Partially responsible, Steel? They alone saved the capital.

You underestimate the Imperial defense, Bresby. We were only waiting for the right time to strike at High Priest Goriate.

How could you... It's only because of the Julian army's bravery that Goriate was defeated.

If you are in need of praise for defeating the Bulzome forces, Julian army, you can share it equally with my army.

Of course we're going to say yes, and of course it will change a single line of dialogue and nothing else.

Let's not start an unnecessary battle. If we were going to start fighting, we should never have come here in the first place!

Gracia... Everyone from the Julian army... I'm sorry for how you've been treated.

It's not your fault, Sir Bresby. I would expect this to happen so long as the Imperial class structure remains intact.

For now, the crisis in Destonia has passed. Since our task here is done, should we head to Saraband?

Saraband? Then you should join with the Medion army. You should take the Flagship and assist them!

Prince! You can't seriously be considering handing the Flagship over to them?!

You disagree with my decision, Steel...? Why... Why does everyone oppose me?

Apparently spinelessness runs on Domaric's side of the family.

It's not a matter of opposing you, Prince. I'm only giving you advice as a general of the Destonian army. The entire Imperial army is searching for the emperor. What if we receive word?

Then we'll have to escort him back here immediately!

However, if we loan the Flagship, we will have no ship to escort him back.

You're right... We couldn't escort him then...

Certainly you understand why we can't loan the Flagship.

I'm sorry, but I can't hand over the Flagship. However, I won't forget the bravery of the Julian army.

Wait. What about the Julian army? What will happen to them?

To this rabble? And what will happen to you as well...?

Me?

Yes, Bresby. You.

What do you mean by that... Steel, are you actually... Me...?

Yes, I now doubt your intent. Ever since you returned with this bunch of rogues, you have been regarded as dangerous and a disgrace to the Empire's dignity.

Despite bringing a force to rescue Destonia... I'M dangerous?! You, Steel... YOU...!

After Emperor Domaric returns, we must request the emperor call a trial against Bresby, Prince Mageron.

I suppose you're right, General Steel. The truth must be known.

It seems the princess is with the Julian army! What should we do with her?

If Bresby deserves punishment, Isabella deserves the same. Do as you like with them.

Jesus, this is cold.

As you heard, Bresby. You are relieved of your duty as advisor for Prince Mageron.

Hope none of you are looking forward to having this plotline resolved!

NEXT TIME: Something! Who knows? I don't!

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Woo hoo, it's back! :neckbeard: Glad to see this LP return!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Man, I had forgotten what a colossal jerk Steel is. Good to see this back anyway! :woop:

Kacie
Nov 11, 2010

Imagining a Brave New World
Ramrod XTreme
Gotta get rid of the people who saw you be incompetent! Otherwise the Emperor will replace you with them.

Yay! Glad to see this is back!

MonotoneMorgan
Nov 20, 2013

The saddest day in Octavian's life was the day he was asked to shave his mustache.
Steel's characterization doesn't surprise me given most of the Imperial generals we've seen so far. I may be reading too much into this but to get far as a General, political skills seems paramount as well as aligning yourself with one of the Imperial bloodline. What this seems to translate into is credit-stealing, cowardly, double-dealing, and backstabbing people getting into the top ranks. It makes complete sense with Domaric in charge though. And whilst, Mageron does seem pretty spineless but at least he has some element of kindness and gratefulness for the rescue.

I'm also very glad to see this is back.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

What even was the point of that? "Oh, the Imperials are dicks." We loving knew that already.

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

well I wasn't expecting this to turn out that way, no siree.

Kinda had my doubts about Steel when he was introduced since foxes just can never be trusted when they aren't main characters

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Man, I had forgotten what a colossal jerk Steel is. Good to see this back anyway! :woop:

I hadn't. He is the Mayor in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Someone who is completely weak and needs defending and will instantly turn his back on the guys that just helped him. Unfortunately, he doesn't get an end like the Mayor does.

Also, I'm glad that this is back. Got some fun stuff coming up now...

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Dang, you saved the day only to get burned by a Sonic Friends reject and Crown Prince Hulk Hogan.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
That drift from "well, you helped save the empire" to "YOU drat TRAITORS ARE ALL UNDER ARREST" was worthy of a Groucho Marx routine.

Elric
Mar 31, 2011

Glazius posted:

That drift from "well, you helped save the empire" to "YOU drat TRAITORS ARE ALL UNDER ARREST" was worthy of a Groucho Marx routine.

Don't forget the "We totally could have won on our own."

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 76: The most metal boss

Well, that isn't an omninous chapter title at all.

Cheer up? I've been kicked out of the castle. I don't think I'll ever cheer up, Kate.

But it's like you always told me. There are always conflicts within the upper levels of the Empire, and you never know when you'll be involved.

I've seen many people get imprisoned, or disappear from the castle... but I ignored it, I...

It seems the clash for power within the higher levels of Imperial society is far more vicious than I imagined.

That's Destonia for you, Gracia. Those brutes only think about themselves. Their politics consist only of ambition and accusation. It's plain to see the nation and its citizens don't exist to them.

That may be true, Donhort. But if everyone were to give up like you, the Empire would be beyond repair.

Donhort and Bresby openly displaying contempt for each other will never get old. :allears:

But what can you do, Sir Bresby? You're now seen as an outlaw that disgraced the Empire's dignity. Even Prince Mageron has turned on you.

That's what I'm contemplating. What should I do? What can I do?

Sir Bresby, perhaps it would be better for you to abandon Destonia, as we have.

Abandon Destonia?! Are you saying I should become like you? You, who has been disappointed by the Republic, just as I have by the Empire?

I don't think I understood what I was truly hoping for. I had always believed desire was what pushed humanity forward. That's why I didn't hesitate to take part in the War of Independence. I still believe the ideal nation would consist of the strong protecting the weak, and the weak serving the strong, creating a balance of sorts. But I have learned this ideal is impossible to achieve when blended with human desire and greed. I felt lost. But I met Gracia, who has rejected the desires of the human world. So I decided to reject those desires as well. The only way left for me, after being disappointed with this world, is to follow Gracia.

Is that really what you believe?

If I'm correct about humanity's desires, I'd rather watch over the world beside the guardian, separate from everything else.

Is that really how you're going to live your life, Sir Donhort?

I don't know, Kate. But that's what I believe right now. We need to keep striving, until Bulzome's ambition is destroyed!

I'm finally beginning to understand your true intentions, and why you have decided to come to the Empire with Gracia. And I believe my way is also now chosen. I believed social reformation would happen simply by being the prince's educator and advisor. But I have been disappointed with Prince Mageron's attitude. The possessor of power will be enslaved by the power he possesses and will be unable to avoid the authority he created for himself. Even in perilous times, the world is being held ransom to this power and authority. I have no more patience for this! So for the fate of this world, I wish to follow Gracia as well.

I agree. The endless feud for power... I realized being loyal to the Empire is absurd. The peril in the capital has only briefly subsided. Before the Walcuray returns here, I would like to accompany Gracia as well.

That one's way more important, frankly.

Finally you feel this way. I am pleased, Bresby.

Did you overhead our conversation, Father Scholar?

Indeed. General Steel was truly cunning. He made the invasion of Destonia appear to be the fault of the Julian army. He knew it would be effective to play up the prestige of the Empire to the weak minded Prince Mageron.

I don't think you came here just to say that.

I have not. To justify his words, General Steel has begun to mobilize his force towards this village.

Their objective must be Gracia.

yes. Gracia and the Staff of Besem, which the emperor seeks. He saw an opening to take advantage of this chance, and has begun to march!

But how could... We've saved the capital... How can they repay kindness with evil? This is terrible!

What should we do, Father Scholar? Could we escape if we left immediately?

There doesn't seem to be any way to evade Steel's army. He's heading directly for the village, Bresby.

I have no intention of either getting caught or handing over the staff. Do you have any good ideas?

Well, I could show you a way out. If you waste any more time here, the Imperials will surround us and you will have no hope of escaping. It's dangerous, but there's a way. It's the same escape route we used when the military trapped us.

It's dangerous, you say.

Yes, but do you think it could be worse than staying here and battling Steel's army?

I'm returning to the church to make preparations for your escape. Come to the church immediately!

Before the Imperial army reaches Gracia, we must get out of the village, Julian. Prepare yourself quickly and head to the church!

No, we're not under any real time limit. Not that there's anything new to see here, but there's a few things I want to point out.

Starting in scenario 2, the HQ comes equipped with a bookshelf that has biographical entries on every character.

I do mean every character.

Even NPCs who don't get portraits. The information actually does change and update throughout the game, but there's never any information we don't already know firsthand. Fun to know, though. I've been lifting the entries for all the player characters from the encyclopedia, so you already know what it says for them.

I'm 99% sure the intended name for Destonia Port was “Harlem”, not “Harem”. Not that either one is a particularly good translation.

:v: They don't use them, so they secretly give them to me. Look how strong I've become!

And talking to this guy in Medion's grandparents' house nets us a protect milk. Funny how Medion's grandparents never came up until now.

Nothing else in the city is new, so let's just go back to the church with Father Scholar.

Here, you can escape this way.

Where does this lead?

Have you heard of Ohora Hole located on the eastern mountain range? Long ago, a huge earthquake made cracks all over the ground, creating the Ohora Hole.

Long ago... Such extraordinary events happened on the Destonia continent?

Apparently shortly after the gods usurped the ocean and created the ground, a huge earthquake occurred. It happened so long ago that life barely existed.

That's correct. The cracks in the world ran everywhere, even far under the ground.

Yes, they're like a series of massive tunnels, too numerous to be fully explored. So you've found where this one goes, Father Scholar?

I have. If you go through this way, you'll come out at the continental coast, without having to battle Steel's army!

Father Scholar, you mentioned it was a dangerous route. What will we be facing?

There's an evil spirit inside the cave. And further on, there's a dragon graveyard. Don't stray, or your lives may be endangered. You don't have to worry, though. I'm sending Cyclops, a dragonman, with you!

Pft, and they said Elliot was the last of his kind.

Dragonman?

The dragonmen inherited the blood of both dragons and humans. They're said to be a legendary race with the strength of a dragon in battle.

Then he's just the right companion for us. So have you instructed him to join us?

No. it's the will of Cyclops. I would prefer he stayed here, but it's his decision.

I'm sorry, Scholar, but something inside tells me to go with the Julian army.

We're glad to have you Cyclops, albeit for indirect reasons.

Then you must go. You all should know Cyclops can speak with dragons, and if he defeats a dragon, it will join you.

Julian, it seems we have another trustworthy ally.

At this point, the plot diverges slightly depending on whether or not you got Edmund at the beginning of the game.

Father, are you telling me not to go?

Princess Isabella feels responsible for the Empire's treatment of the Julian army.

Even though Destonia was saved by the Julian army, you are being driven away. Please, take my service as compensation.

I knew this was going to happen, and that's why I was reluctant to let you go, Isabella. What should I do?

Princess Isabella. I, Cyclops, will protect you with my life. Do not worry, Father!

Then please forgive my protectiveness. I can't stop you from going, Isabella. Just please take care of yourself.

But my selfishness... Will you forgive me, Father?

I do, Isabella. I can't halt this course of events, even if I don't like what is happening.

Now we must hurry, Julian, We have to head to the continental coast before Steel's army arrives!

This is where the continental fault crosses the ocean, which is why there's water flowing in here.

My, there are fish over there. It seems so peaceful.

But regrettably, it's not peaceful in the slightest. The fish here are extremely vicious.

Then we must be very cautious when crossing the water, if we want to get out of here.

It doesn't seem as though the fish are the only danger here.

What do you mean?

This cave... I've been sensing something for a while, but the deeper in we go, I sense... something bad. Are you hiding something form us, Cyclops?

Oh, you've noticed, Gracia? Near here, there's a dragon graveyard, full of vengeful spirits. Long ago, thieves went to the dragon graveyard to steal valuable dragon scales, and they disturbed the resting spirits there.

I see. That is not exactly a comforting thought.

Julian army, we will soon reach two caves. As long as we enter the left cave, we will be safe.

Then let's go, Julian! Don't let your guard down until we reach the cave entrance!

A lot of bridges and chests here, and very few enemies. We've already been tipped off to the fact that there's going to be a bunch of ambushes on this map, though.

Nothing too notable about the enemies except that “Helm Club” is clearly supposed to be “Hermit Crab”. The blood born has pretty good stats, but weapon advantage can take care of that.

Here's the other gimmick of the map: You're not allowed to stop on bridges.

And here's why: Some of them are flagged to collapse after somebody crosses it. If you don't know which bridges collapse, this can actually put you in some pretty bad situations. If the platform Bridgit is on had any enemies, she'd be in danger of getting whacked.

The ambush enemy is the killer fish, which is completely unremarkable except for the fact that it flies.

It also has a tendency to get eaten by instant kill attacks.

Grabbing some loot.

Cyclops uses the same weapons as Frank. He also has very similar criticals to Frank, in that they're not very exciting. However, Cyclops has decent stats and a much more important ability we'll see later.

We're halfway through the map and have only been ambushed by one fish so far. This fight isn't anything exciting.

And just as I open my stupid mouth, another fish tries to ambush us from behind. Kate makes very short work of it.

Two more enemies pop up and things are just scattered enough that I can't effortlessly roll over them.

And let's just run all the way to the end with Donhort, because why not?

The answer: Because as soon as you cross that bridge out of greed for the last treasure chest, the boss spawns very nearby.

It's a pirate skeleton with a cannon hand. It's incredibly metal, even if it's not a tough boss.

I... I don't know. I didn't expect anything like that to be here.

Well, unless we defeat it, we can't advance, can we?

That's right. This is the only way through.

We have no choice, Julian! Everyone prepare for battle!

Well, this is a slight problem. Donhort is now isolate with a ghoul and the boss very close.

Like I said, the boss's stats are nothing worth sweating over, beyond the fact that it has a fairly fat stack of hit points.

Things get a little cluttered as Donhort fights for his life and everyone sprints to make sure the boss doesn't stomp him solo.

Donhort has little trouble killing the ghoul by himself, and the boss has a little bit of trouble, because it has to obey the same rules as we do: It can't stop on the bridge.

:welp:

And this is what we so valiantly risked Donhort's life for: Another stat up item that I will inevitably forget to use.

Things get kind of dangerous for Donhort while the rest of the team is bottlenecked.

The new plan: Use Julian as bait.

It works, and holy crap the boss is huge. It also has a critical attack with the same animation as Robby's shell critical that makes the entire screen burst with lava.

We took a few licks for being aggressive and stupid, but we were in no real danger at any point.

But Bresby, look! He's still moving!

It's okay, Kate. He has no strength left.

Like I said: The most metal boss.

Yes. To the right there is a dragon graveyard. Didn't Father Scholar say that was a very dangerous place?

It makes no difference now. This path is blocked. Our only choice is to take the path through the dragon graveyeard. drat!

No one is to blame, Cyclops. This must be part of Elbesem's plan.

It's not like the choice makes any difference but oh hell yes we are going through the dragon graveyard

It's a difficult decision to lead the force into danger, but everyone trusts your judgment.

There's no other way to escape. We must have courage. Let's go, Julian!

NEXT TIME: Dragons and unicorns, gently caress yeah

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Man, if Frank had a version of Cyclopses skill, he'd still be useless because he wasn't a monk, but he'd at least have been in the running for the 12th spot.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Is Bresby just an advisor, or does he have a combat presence?

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Is Bresby just an advisor, or does he have a combat presence?

Just an advisor like Benetram, Palsis, and Grantack.

inthesto
May 12, 2010

Pro is an amazing name!
Part 77: I said gently caress YEAH

It is. When a dragon is nearing the end of its life, it comes here.

That sounds eerie, but why is it so dangerous?

It is said that the place has been cursed, and death calls to whomever dares to visit.

That is an unsettling tale.

It is, but it gets worse. There are dragon guardians who protect this graveyard, and they will not take our presence lightly.

Should the need arise, can you convince the guardians that we are not here to harm them?

Jane! What are you doing here?

I was worried about you, so I...

...followed us?

Yes, but listen. The Bulzome Sect are using the dragons here to prevent invaders from reaching the castle.

Have they charmed the dragons?

Yes... They excel at controlling spirits. And now...

And now the dragons are hostile to everyone?

That's ridiculous! They will listen to me!

Here...

Yeah, you're about to get a dire teabagging.

What happened, Cyclops?

I'm sorry. The dragons... did not listen.

It's not your fault. This is all the Bulzome Sect's doing.

I can't believe it... I'll never forgive them. We must pass through the graveyard, even at the risk of killing the dragons.

I guess... it's the only way. The more time we lose here, the more the Bulzome Sect grows.

March on Julian, but be very wary around the dragons!

Julian, wait... I haven't thanked you yet. I'm so glad you helped High Priest Goriate.

That's a hell of a thing to say, but ok Jane.

I mean we could say no, but how many RPGs let you have a unicorn join your party? (She joins if you refuse anyway). And if you're thinking that this is our reward for not attempting to finish off Goriate at the end of chapter 1, then you're right. If you try to not spare him, you just don't get Rollie at all. Thanks for punishing us for trying to be smart about things, Camelot. :argh:

I'm so glad, thank you Julian! Okay, let's keep going!

That Jane seems interested in you, Julian!

What are you talking about, Donhort? That's nonsense! Besides, Julian isn't interested in her!

Oh my! You too, Kate?

Hah, it's good to be young. I remember those days. But at my age, no one ever... But right now, Julian, we must get through this graveyard. The world is in peril!

:rolleyes:

This is a pretty small and tight arena, but nothing too difficult. The AI also is very tame this time around.

This is our new enemy. Hits harder than anything else, but lacks on defense and is weak to Kate.

Rollie's stats. She's pretty comparable to Donhort with a few extra spells attached.

The fight thinks it can be cheeky by starting two enemies on cliffs near us. However, they're slow and stupid, which makes them easy targets for Kate. For some reason, a lot of the maps in this game are designed to shovel buckets of experience into Kate's mouth.

Cyclops finishes off the enemy to the right while Gracia and Isabella take care of the ones to the left. With only three enemies sitting around, I can take my time and pick who gets experience.

Rollie's unicorn horn is the first of two monster weapons we'll see. It can't be upgraded but comes with A scaling anyway. It also counts as a spear with regards to the weapon triangle, giving her advantage over this sword-wielding blood born.

A unicorn standing victorious over her fallen foes is pretty metal.

It's just a slow push forward through enemies that aren't very difficult. This is probably the easiest scenario out of all three, if only because of how strong your characters become.

Once you get past this helm crab, a special scene triggers.

A white dragon is a powerful foe.

The Bulzome Sect has created a might challenge for us to overcome.

White dragons are almost extinct. If possible, we must avoid battle with it!

If we can, Gracia. But if it stands between us and our mission, it must be vanquished!

The white dragon has some okay stats, but it's not even as fearsome as the previous boss.

The level up animations for Cyclops and Rollie.

Meanwhile, I remember that dragons fly and therefore are weak to Kate. God drat, it's uncanny how much these maps are stacked in her favor.

We let Cyclops finish the job though, and for good reason.

Much like Pappets, when Cyclops punches a dragon to death, we get the option to add it to our army for every battle thereon. This doesn't take up the usual 12 slots, and allows us to field up to 3 extra units. Naturally, they don't level up at all so after a while they tend to lag behind, but it's rarely bad to have extra bodies.

Rollie and Donhort split off to the side. By now, you should know that when the 7 MOV characters gently caress off to do their own thing, that only means one thing:

Yep.

Another gimmick bonus map that isn't actually hard. You have to stop in front of a door and manually open it, effectively ending your turn.

But Donhort and Rollie are so fast it's a non-issue.

That about spells it for that map.

Rollie's first rank critical is Unicorn Charge, which involves kicking the target repeatedly with her hind legs. It's not much of a charge, but sure.

Outside, the rest of the army cleans up the rest of the dragons.

In case you didn't figure, the dragon battle models are pretty drat huge.

The white dragon is even huger.

It's also not loving around.

And I mean, I could kill it in two hits, but there's much more important things to be doing.

Well what do you know? There's a non-violent solution to this fight, and there's no opportunity cost involved this time!

I beg you, please listen to me!

In between each of Cyclops' lines, the dragon makes a weird sound effect. I'm... not going to bother attempting to transcribe that.

It's not true. We did not come here to hurt you. No, we did not come to disturb the dragon graves either! We are not the ones who made your brethren go mad! Please believe me! That's right. Your true enemies are the same as ours. But... what?

What is it, Cyclops? What does the dragon say?

He said those who caused the dragons to go mad should not be allowed to live. He wants to make sure they are defeated.

What does he mean to do?

He seeks to join us. He sees our common plight. As you can see, all of us welcome you. It's nice to meet you... Thousand, is it? Well, we have made a powerful ally. Now we must find a place to rest...

oh hell yes

We must... but where?

Thousand says there's a village nearby and apparently the inhabitants there worship him.

Then we must head to this village. Let's leave now, Julian!

NEXT TIME: Finally, an axe!

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
That's fuckin' metal :black101:

Does Thousand count as a real character or is he like those other dragons that can join?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Yes to both actually! If you have Cyclopse talk to him and recruit him, he's a real character; if you have Cyclopse punch him into the party, he's just a dragon and has worse stats. Or you could have somebody else kill him and not recruit him at all.

• Locked thread