Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
A SF3 LP! Alright!

Nothing will ever replace Total Biscut's LP of the game, but since it doesn't look like he'll be finishing his, I'll take what I can get.

Speaking of localization team fuckups;
inthesto: Are you going to be using the translation team's redo of the end of disk one? It's pretty different than what was on the US version of the disk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
I vote that we don't deal with Garosh's bugged HP and let him die. Also Egress from the next fight and go talk to the people hanging around the guard barracks.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Bitchtits McGee posted:

Fraternal vengeance vs. cold, hard numbers. Eh, let him die. Kind of a stupid plot hook, anyway.

I think the cold hard numbers say he's better at hitting things than his replacement, he just turns into a spectacular glass cannon.

*edited because spoiles*

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 03:23 on May 9, 2013

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Are you going to show off bothering the storekeepers until they put things in the deals section?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

inthesto posted:

gently caress me sideways, I even have a screenshot of this and meant to put it in the last update. I'll edit it in shortly.

There's actually a guide on gamefaqs that lists which shop keepers can be bugged for which items.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Glazius posted:

I was going to snark about how Masquirin and Grace would make so much of a difference, but really, this early on, they really would.

Dantares can only hit so many people per turn.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Good thing you're getting all this out of the way early...

After you beat disk one, put the backup of your save file on another continent.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Huh, I never realized that the mage friendship bonus worked on heals. Also :black101: for Dantares picking up rank 1 in lances. It begins.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Wait, I thought Switching Point was three battles from now. Also, it's gone down a lot on my list of annoying battles ever since I played scenario 2.
Seriously, gently caress trying to keep Donhort's suicidal rear end alive.

Also, you missed a smilie tag in there.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Glazius posted:

The existence of a mage-staff special attack invites a lot of questions. Does it randomly proc instead of a spell, or have you actually got to be insane enough to melee on a mage to see it?

You have to melee with them. One of the mythril rods gives the attack Change Gold, which is an instant kill when it procs. :getin:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

So, I decided to start yet another playthrough of the game to go along with the LP. I often forget how dumb the AI can be.

For people who arn't used to dealing with SF3 trees; that's Masqurin blaze 2ing a Scavin, a Bat, and a Sniper, all at half HP. She gained a level and friendship bonuses with Sny and Hayword out of it.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Huh, I usually grab secondary weapons for everybody who can use them. It's not like there's any shortage of mythril and having a character do less damage is better than having a character doing none.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Maybe I just over value things like the assassin knife's instant kill proc or the arrow axe giving the dwarves the ability to hit things three squares away. (Also, hilariously counts as a bow weapon.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Interesting to see the map cleared without sending people through on the way to Irine.

I had managed to repress the memory of Knuckles existence, you bastard. :argh: Playing that game first convinced me that monks were a lovely class and it wasn't until a few years later on my second playthrough of 2 that I discovered what happens if you let a Master Monk gain levels. Got Gaiden 2 & 3 mixed up, Luke's the one the convinced me they were useless.

Ardeem fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Jun 12, 2013

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

inthesto posted:

NEXT TIME: AAAAAAAaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAaaaaaaAAAaaa

A thousand times this. Tried to play that map a couple of days ago, have forgotten the trick to keeping them from getting killed by the dudes waiting for them. Maybe my main force is just wandering too far south. :iiam:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Man, you're going through this fast, and I take it from commentary you arn't going to be making the same decision that Total Biscuit did with the mascot character.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Penn was given field training at the point where he was gotten. Long, certainly, but not a poor idea since he does turn out alright once he catches up. You can take that from personal experience.

You didn't mention the training montage.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

TerryLennox posted:

Does that picture of Eldar have breasts on it? Now I can't unsee them. I understand the stinkup in the Starbound thread.

Love the LP, been a Shining fan for a while but the last one I played was the GBA remake of Shining Force which is surprisingly good. Has Sega done anything with this IP lately (last 5 years)?

To answer your questions: Yes, Eldar's armor has boobplates and Yes Sega has been making Shining games, but they've mostly been action RPGs and not released in english.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There, FINALLY got through switching point without the archers between the tracks deciding to turn around and murder the refugees. Now I don't have to worry about stupid AI tricks for for the rest of the chapter.

Also, I didn't know that save editor existed, if I had I might have voted to keep Garosh alive and just fix his HP every time he leveled. (I'm sort of tempted to get it just to change half of the Centaurs back to their naming scheme.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

If I recall correctly, it only patches the english version of disk 1, but the Japanese versions for the rest of them.

And the premium disk hardly counts as a game in its own right.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Two things: First, you missed a mithril at the front of the engine, and second, what makes Shiraf dangerous is that he's got rank 1 maces and is the first baddie with a special attack.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Glazius posted:

Maces? Those are actually a weapon class? Who uses them? Warriors, priests?

They're the same weapon group as axes, so mostly Battlers/Warriors use them. Axes generally have higher attack... and I forgot what the actual advantage for maces is, might be better effects on crit.

Piest/Clerics use the same ank/rod/wand group of weapons as mages. Most people swap Grace to using an ank when the first one shows up and then keep her there because she starts with most of a level of knowlage for it and most of them give support spells.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

The + counter ability on the wings is mentioned in the item description, but other than the revenge mace, I don't think any of them outright state an effect like that.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Dantares has another line if you talk to him again in the HQ where he's all :ohdear: about the ghosts and Masqurin teases him about it.

As for the fight itself, keep Irine far, far away from the Kyon-shi, as she has a high chance to counter, and her friendship bonus raises counter chance.

And hang in there inthesto, you're all done with bullshit exicution stages until this chapter's thief map.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

All of the Kyonshi are villagers, so if you kill one of them you might not have a store clerk to buy weapon upgrades from. Also one of them is recruitable into the force.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Wait, how do you have a list of broken characters in Shining Force and not include Mawlock?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

MMania posted:

That was hilarious! I think the level tries to lull you into a false sense of security right until the point where the Lich shows up, so good job, Camelot. Still, there is no drat reason Kahn is controlled by the AI, that's probably the worst design decision in all three scenarios. At least if you screw up a ruins map it was your own fault (for not counting squares three turns in advance).

I'd have to give that coveted title to Donhort At least you only have to put up with Kahn running around like an idiot for one stage.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Slade's amaizing reputation comes from that one time an Iom Doll got cut off. But, if that was all it took to be an actual amaizing character, all the casters, mace users, knife users, ninja, and one centaur per disk are equally overpowered. (Well, Dantares tends to be OP anyway even without the Ultra Lance.)

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Iom Doll, Zeon Guard, Annoying Blue Thing On The Last Map With Too Many HP. :doh:

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I think the images are out of order at the very begining of the post... And I haven't messed up that fight so badly since the first time I played... Now I just grind the bats and skellies until everybody is promoteable.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Here's hoping you'll have better luck with the IRL stuff and it's good to see this LP moving again!

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Horray, update!

Also poor General Franz, he's like one of five or six of the imperial generals who arn't utterly terrible people and then he gets backstabbed by another one of them. It gets even more tragic when we get to Senario 2.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Man, the title for this map should have just been foreshadowing.update. At least Obrite finally got his promotion.

Are you planning to effort post Julian's beef with Galm here or wait until sen 3 when it become relevant again?

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Khisanth Magus posted:

I don't think there is really much more to it than that, Galm killed Julian's father 10 years ago, Julian swore revenge and became a mercenary to find Galm and get revenge.

Well, mostly about Galm being A serial rapist trying to find the empirical limits on free will as granted by Ebelsem to the Vandals and Innovators.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Kinda sorta working on that STHA/Galm effortpost. There's more Thousand Year Kingdom refrences in there than I thought there were.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Try pushing the woman into the doorway of your base. :eng101:

Also, dump Horst We're a one dorf army.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

inthesto posted:

I actually did this and it doesn't seem to do anything. :confused:

Huh, is there another building around with an open door?
I distinctly remember her turning into Pen

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Nephrite posted:

No, you do something else for him. You're thinking of Frank.

No she turns into Pen, he clucks a few times, runs around, and then disapears.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

I'm pretty sure TB's last map was the fight against Braf I know for sure that he didn't reach the grinding point before the last couple of fights.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

Do you have a running pimento to give Ratchet? Otherwise bench him because by the time he gets to the fighting it'll be over.

• Locked thread