Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

geri_khan posted:

As for Galm... I'm not gonna do a writeup or anything, not played StHA in ages, but that guy gives me the chills big-time.[/spoiler]

It also helps that his theme has always been one of "Okay, this guy isn't someone I want to mess with."

Shining Force 3 has several characters like that where you just think that they could effortlessly destroy your party if they felt like it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Drop Justin. I always liked Horst, Obright's been there since pretty much the beginning, and Kahn should be getting Conquer King soon which is an awesome move.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I once levelled up the egg in the levelling dungeon to usable. It really wasn't worth it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Nephrite posted:

It also comes in handy a bit later with another boss you don't want to kill.
By that time you should have Hagane who has Sleep anyway.

It took me a while to do that fight last time I played, mainly because that particular boss kept waking up and I'd managed to keep myself completely safe from the main boss by having them three squares away from me and keeping them stuck behind two lesser enemies. Kept me from dying to massive amounts of one particular spell though.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Ratchet out, Frank in.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

KataraniSword posted:

(Even Dantares is coming off a little short; this LP so far seems to be the Noon/Masqurin Power Hour.)

In my run right now, that's pretty much it too. Once those two are soulmates, everything is dying to big damage from even level 1 Blaze/Freeze. Dantares is pretty lacking right now, and I think Cybel is currently stronger.

I'm currently at the levelling dungeon right now, wanting to get all my characters up to at least level 17. Getting Penn up to promoted was actually a lot easier than I remembered. Mainly because I stuck the Elbesem Orb on him and had Muramasa and Irene block off and use Blaze/Tornado level 1 on one of the skeletons to leave it with less that 7hp and then have Penn finish them off for the experience. Then they repeated the process when the new one spawned. It's so much easier than using Penn's attack and hoping for a critical. Also, I had no deaths until the drat Skull Mage used Soul Steal level 2 on me and took out Horst. Why couldn't you use Tiamat on the last turn like you did every other turn, you bastard?

Also, bench Ratchet.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

The rank 1 critical for katanas is a giant flying suplex that has a chance to confuse the enemy. As always, confusion is a useless status effect on enemies.
Being pedantic here, but Izuna Drop is the katana rank 2 critical, and yes, confusion isn't that good. The Izuna was better in Shining the Holy Ark when it would pretty much immobilise the enemy that got hit by it.

Butterfly Dance is the katana rank 1 critical and causes sleep. A much better status effect.

Ardeem posted:

... You know, it's just now at this very moment that I realized his name is actually Dauntless. :aaaaa:
I wonder how many other people just realised this. I know I just did.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

And this is another update that highlights our different playstyles. I put the Phoenix wand straight into the bank since Noon's my wand user and Wendigo is so much better for him.

I think I just sold it straight away and just kept the Torture Rod on Masquirin. I may be wrong but I think her level 3 rod status with the Noon Soulmate made her level 3 Blaze more powerful than Phoenix with the wand at that point. Plus Wendigo was way more useful to Noon.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lotish posted:

I do like how Dantares doesn't beat around the bush. As soon as Wilmer leaves the room, "Welp; he locked the door, so this is a trap." There's no "What is this!? A trap!? How can it be!?" nonsense dragging things out that you see in other games time to time.

Dantares doesn't have time to ponder this nonsense. This is his plan for all major incidents:

1. Assert what just happened.
2. Decide what to do next.
3. Start all attacks in the distance and shout "PREPARE TO DIE!"

And as much as I love Kahn, it's best to stick Hagane in for the next couple of battles.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

Penn's decent enough once worked up. The biggest problem is he can't upgrade his weapon. This is fixed for Scenario 2 and 3.

It's just getting him to that point that is annoying. Putting the Elbesem Orb on him and teaming with level 1 of Murasame's Blaze and Irene's Tornado spells is the best way to get him some levels to start with.

I'm also wondering if after you complete scenario 1 that you'll find it hard to start scenario 2 and get into it as much. Going from a super-strong force of death with max rank weapons and spells made the level 1 starting party of soldier/centaur/mage/cleric seem very dull for me and I was reluctant to start doing it again.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Send Justin, Ratchet and Murasame to the main army.

Frank's movement is useful, Obright is strong against Silver Knights and I managed to get lucky with Hagane's Soul Steal last time I did that battle.

Also, I know you haven't mentioned them yet, but hire Twiggy, because Kahn won't cut it as a dedicated healer.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Nephrite posted:

I'm happy you'll be moving on to the next game soon, because it's such an amazing step up in terms of graphical and general quality from this one.

And you get to see the best characters in the game.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

Promo posters for scenario 1. I definitely like the third one the best. The second one is incredibly goofy, because it shows the Synbios army fighting and enemy they never actually fight.

Also interesting to note is that Zero is part of the squad despite being part of Medion's army.

inthesto posted:

Early drafts of Penn's design. I can't really argue with the one in the top-right.

You might want to wait until scenario 3.

inthesto posted:

An early draft of Synbios' design. Not gonna lie, this looks like it was pulled straight off of DeviantArt.

Again, wait until scenario 3.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Well, and that idiot

There are two battles with him that really angered me because I nearly lost my perfect run in one and it extended the other one by far longer because he wouldn't move. Bastard.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

NEXT TIME: Switching point 2.0!

And it is far more pleasant this time.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

I think Hedoba counts as more than just Noon 2.0, but I'll conceed her husband being a terrible character.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that about her husband. He just had nothing going for him in my game. Her on the other hand when soulmated with Syntesis...

Besides, we meet Donhort soon, and sweet merciful crap...

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

alcharagia posted:

So does Julian actually stay this time.

He might do. He doesn't.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

inthesto posted:

NEXT TIME: Switching Point 3.0

That next battle caused me several retries because one of the enemies just wouldn't go for the force member I wanted but instead would go for someone else.

The battle after that, Donhort was an absolute dick for and nearly cost me my no deaths run.

I'm looking forward to seeing how you do the battle after that one though (because it's really amusing). I nearly had a perfect run of that one too, but to no surprise of anyone, Donhort was an absolute dick again and slowed me down once more.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I sent Donhort to save the villagers and then my fastest/highest movement guys that way as well. I still had to send the villagers to the south east because the drat Pegasus Knights just wouldn't leave them the hell alone.

Also, a tip for you. For battles with Donhort when you have a full party of 12, you can actually remove him from your party and he'll still show up giving you a party of 13 (although your anti-David stance prevented that, but now you have Hera, you've got a 12th character you won't want to die). It's also why in the previous battle and the next one you can have 14 characters in your party (although this may not be true).

The thief with the Power Wine thing I think is related to the old man's treasure. If both of them survive, the thief refuses to leave the old man's house and as such, the old man can't go for his treasure because he believes that the thief will steal it.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
That last battle was so annoying for me because while I had everyone cornered near the ruin entrance to avoid getting lightninged, Donhort of all people just had to go off on his own to fight the enemies, leaving me to send Uryudo after him to heal the daft old fart.

He annoyed me in the next battle as well, but fortunately he didn't do something suicidal...

(I really like that battle too.)

Oh, and lowest stat archer out unless it's Bernard, in which case second lowest stat archer out.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I always loved the Rainbloods. They were just so strong and absolutely bitchslapped the Bulzome priestesses.

Donhort was an arse in this battle for me because he would refuse to go down the stairs. Fortunately, the Rainbloods stayed at the top and didn't come down, and Donhort didn't have a freeze ball to get back across the water (not that he would have been able to anyway since he'd have used his turn on freezing the water and everyone else was downstairs already).

Ardeem posted:

Coming up next ship fights. :cry:

I think the only jrpg I've played where the ship fights weren't made out of suffering was Skies of Arcadia.

Ship battles were great in SoA mainly because I always marked out for the eventual special cannon blast.

Hoss Corncave fucked around with this message at 00:01 on Jun 10, 2014

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Cursed weapons have better attack stats than mythril ones and most have unique special attacks. The downside is barring Julien item dupe shenanigans you get one chaos ring per army, oh, and giving up an item slot for it.

The Julian item dupe doesn't work in Scenario 2. I tried it with both my life rings and ended up having to redo the battle since I kinda wanted those rings.

Also, you can get another curse ring (or a first curse ring for the Synbios army) per army from the levelling dungeon in Scenario 3.

Oh, and does anyone else who has finished this scenario always forget the next battle? It always seemed like filler to me.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Shitenshi posted:

What the hell is up with Grantack fellating Domaric on a regular basis anyway? I can sort of understand Campbell being a noble knight loyal to the emperor, but we know jack and all poo poo about Grantack besides that he's a strategist. Campbell could fill in for him like Dantares in Sc 1 after Benetram bailed in Chapter 4, and nobody would notice.

As Katarani said earlier, it's probably a fear thing. Domaric has both a ninja that can appear at any time and kill anyone he wishes, and an assassination squad that absolutely slaughtered two of the High Priests without taking damage themselves at his command. I'd probably not want to anger that man too if I were just an old dragonman.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

If it hasn't happened, it's probably coming. Because I distinctly remember the issue. Domaric's holding someone hostage.

It happens after the next storyline battle.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Bloodly posted:

I believe the bonus dungeon for 2 has a Queen Worm, and I'm pretty sure that Queen Worm is capturable, despite being the boss of it's part of the dungeon.

Point to note is that if they die, you'll have to get a new one. Monsters come with whatever items they usually have in their inventory-a Minotaur will have it's Healing Drop, for instance. I believe they can't change their equipment(If they HAVE equipment), even if given a piece. No Minotaurs with Mythril equip.

Effectively Pappets is the answer to Scen1's mercenary characters. Scen 3 gets it's own variant-though far earlier.

You can definitely get a Queen Worm. I remember using her, a Minotaur, and a Griffon as my three monsters. You can get three Queen Worms if you want, but I wouldn't because their movement isn't great.

Also, you can talk to the monsters back at HQ and each one has a different line of text talking about how they were forced to fight or what they plan to do now they're in your army.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I was just waiting for the moment you realised you had to use David again. He really is a crap character though.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Team A, because seriously, Garvin has had it coming for a long, long time.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Lotish posted:

What meaningful decisions did we actually make in this scenario?

We let an old, grouchy centaur out of prison and he did his best to screw up a no deaths run EVERY BATTLE HE WAS IN.

Scenario 2 has a few good bits in it though. The bits where Galm shrugs off Desherren's strongest ice attack and the introduction of the Rainbloods were both pretty fun. That said, the latter one would have been more fun the last time I played if the aforementioned centaur had decided to go over the drat ice into the basement.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
Jeremy Renner has aged well.

So long, Scenario 2. Now comes the fun of having no-one in your party again and everyone being low levels again. At least they'll be starting off at promoted levels, and you get an archer right from the start.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Man, what. What was this whole scenario's "But Thou Must" count? Dozens? Hundreds?

Far too many. Let's leave it at that.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Alacron posted:

"Land?"
"Did someone say land?"
"There's a light, that indicates a lighthouse, which could possibly mean land."

I don't why but that whole exchange got me. I mean, the whole script is incredibly repetitive but that one in particular made me giggle.

Since we're in to Scenario 3 now, we need a new thread title. At the moment, something along the lines of "Land! Is it land? I think it's land! It must be land!" is my choice.

Only because we can't use "Oh get hosed, General Steel" yet

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
I never realised that having Edmund meant you didn't get Isabella early on, but then again I always tried to go for the happy storyline which made getting him an event that would never happen.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

For all the poo poo he does, Domeric is still only the second worst person in the game.

Ardeem posted:

One of the Vandals.

I'm really unsure about who you're talking about, because there's only a few Vandals in the game.

Glazius posted:

Wait, they're going to make you fight the Laser Eye twice in a row? What the hell.

Yes they are.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Galm.

Back in Shining The Holy Ark there was a woman who got kidnapped from her village and was discovered a few weeks later wandering the forest outside of Galm's mansion with no memory of what had happened to her. 9 months later she gave birth to a half-vandal. 18 years later the game happens and Galm drives his (heavily implied) son insane as part of a nature vs nurture experiment about the existence of free will.

During the game he kidnaps one of the PCs and returns her with no memory of what happened. (The art book confirms that she's also pregnant.)

The character we're about to meet is a couple of years too young to be Lisa's daughter unless there was an error with the timeline

Ah, yeah, now I remember. I had forgotten about the implied Shining the Holy Ark Lisa rape. I didn't realise that had happened until someone mentioned it in this thread months ago. I remember first playing that game and when Basso mentioned that Lisa was taken by a monster, it was the vampire in the Aboriginal Mansion and that Galm had rescued her. However, I know now that Galm was not so nice with this.

Also, I'm guessing the son that went mad was Panzer but I never put two and two together until now.

I may have to try doing that game at some point, although I have a tendency to overlevel like a bitch by farming the Hattori in the East Shrine, mainly so I can just spam Aura in every round for the final three bosses or so.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Man, I had forgotten what a colossal jerk Steel is. Good to see this back anyway! :woop:

I hadn't. He is the Mayor in Advance Wars: Days of Ruin. Someone who is completely weak and needs defending and will instantly turn his back on the guys that just helped him. Unfortunately, he doesn't get an end like the Mayor does.

Also, I'm glad that this is back. Got some fun stuff coming up now...

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Glazius posted:

Is Bresby just an advisor, or does he have a combat presence?

Just an advisor like Benetram, Palsis, and Grantack.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
With regards to Rollie's first special, I also found it strange that that would be "Unicorn Charge". Even more so when her second one I think is called "Stampede" and is essentially Lance Charge. I think they might have gotten the names mixed up.

Also, Kate was easily one of the best characters in this scenario because of the reasons you said. So many advantageous maps for her.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

I'm impressed that you resisted the urge to reset-grind for better acessories.
In my opinion that magic ring is the best of the lot you did get as MP healing is hard to come by. Although it would have been more useful last scenario with the trinity of Hedoba, Syntasis, and Hazuki.

This is a pretty good map, Leon not healing himself is a bit of a problem, but at least he's not actively suicidal like Donhort's AI was.

Please don't remind me of Scenario 2 Donhort. That arse almost cost me my no death run in the Elbesem Temple maps by running into the attack lines of the lightning generators and refusing to go over the ice while the Rainbloods were approaching.

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012
You've done two and a bit games in this style so far so it's understandable that you'd be burned out from the effort. Whatever you prefer to do is fine by me, be it taking a break, video instead of screenshots, or whatever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hoss Corncave
Feb 13, 2012

Ardeem posted:

Donhorts suicidal AI

Those three words will always make me very angry.

• Locked thread