Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«14 »
Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

Set your sights on good fortune
Concentrate
Pull back the hammer
Try to hold the gun straight

Hit the gym each night,
stay cool and seldom speak
Keep the heart of a champion
Never let them see you're weak

I've been a huge fan of Simon Pegg and Edgar Wright since a little one-off series they made called 'Asylum'. They went on to create 'Spaced', giving them enough notoriety to move on to the big screen with two incredible movies, 'Shaun of the Dead', the world's first RomZomCom (Romantic Zombie Comedy) and 'Hot Fuzz', their take on the buddy cop action movies.

If you've never seen those movies, drop everything and go watch them right away.

You don't want the disappointed stare of your children piercing you, and hear to the quiver in their voice as they question 'How could you, daddy? How could you? '

The World's End is the conclusion of their Cornetto (now apparently renamed 'Blood and Ice Cream') Trilogy, and this time they are tackling Sci-Fi/UFOs/End of the World movies with their unique brand of comedy!

Extremely mild and vague spoilers to follow, I suppose.

The plot is very simple: The time is 1993, five friends set on a pub crawl of their home town, to end with a final pint at 'The World's End' pub. 20 years later, the five friends reunite to finally reach their goal of completing that crawl. Over the course of the night they realize that the world is ending, but that's not going to stop them from reaching their goal. Or will it?

The trailer is finally out! The movie comes out July 19 in the UK, and August 23rd in America.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI

As usual, the movie stars Simon Pegg and Nick Frost, as Gary King and Andy Knight. The three other friends are Martin Freeman (Tim from The Office UK/ Bilbo Baggins from The Hobbit), Paddy Constantine (DS Andy from Hot Fuzz) and Eddie Marsan (Inspector Lestrade in Guy Ritchie's Sherlock Holmes).

On a personal note, I've been looking forward at this movie for years. On the other hand, I am saddened that this will not only be the end of the world, but also the end of the Cornetto trilogy. Hopefully Edgar/Simon/Nick will announce that they are starting to work on a new trilogy once the movie is out, this is a trio that should regularly be on the screen and we will never be deprived of these great comedic minds coming together It seems to be very much a Body Snatchers-inspired movie, and I'm really excited about that.

Twee as Fuck fucked around with this message at May 8, 2013 around 15:45

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yannick_B
Oct 11, 2007

I'm so happy about this. Love everyone involved.

Little Mac
Jan 3, 2006

It's a mystery.
Broken into a jigsaw puzzle.
Wrapped in a conundrum.
Hidden in a Chinese box.

A riddle.

Rarely have I been able to use the word "stoked" with so much meaning.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

The video arcade made me what I am today!

Does the trailer exist anywhere else on the internet? Because that video crashes my Firefox browser and simply won't work in Chrome.

That aside, I'm watching this opening weekend regardless.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

Concentrate
Pull back the hammer

Hit the gym each night,

Tewratomeh posted:

Does the trailer exist anywhere else on the internet? Because that video crashes my Firefox browser and simply won't work in Chrome.

That aside, I'm watching this opening weekend regardless.

It's been released as an exclusive a few hours ago, I will update the OP once we get a youtube HD-one.

OGB
Aug 13, 2003

Tingly.

Twee as gently caress posted:

It's been released as an exclusive a few hours ago, I will update the OP once we get a youtube HD-one.

Here you go:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YF-4c8U-mUI

Also, between my love for Spaced, Shaun, Hot Fuzz, Scott Pilgrim and yes, even Paul, I am 100% game for this. Going to be a nice wrap up to what looks to be an incredible summer of movies.

effectual
Feb 9, 2013

Only the smallest QB can ascend.

So in addition to 2 white house terrorist movies this year, there are 2 party/world ending movies? Weird. I'm looking forward to this though.

EvilHawk
Sep 15, 2009
This space
intentionally
left blank

So excited can't wait for July now, I rewatch Shaun/Hot Fuzz like, every few months.

PopZeus
Aug 11, 2010

Oh my god, I'm so excited. I feel like I've been waiting for this for so long. When did we first hear it would be a (loose) trilogy?

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

After Hot Fuzz, which I love dearly and is one of my favorite movies in some nebulous list I have floating in my head, I am there to watch this sight unseen day 1.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DAMMIT WESLEY!!!

Glad this is finally a reality, it feels like forever ago that Hot Fuzz came out.

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

Concentrate
Pull back the hammer

Hit the gym each night,

FlamingLiberal posted:

Glad this is finally a reality, it feels like forever ago that Hot Fuzz came out.

Six loving years

Seriously, I've been waiting for this movie for six years now. Shaun of the Dead was in 2004. This movie better be worth the wait, Edgar or I'll just have to keep shoveling money at you

BuckarooBanzai
Dec 2, 2004
Wherever you go, there you are.

Super psyched about this. I'm a huge zombie movie nerd and Shaun of the Dead was such a love letter to zombie films, hopefully this will be the same for apocalypse/alien films.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm happy we finally know the premise! "Apocalyptic pubcrawl" has been common knowledge for a while now, but the body snatchers were the missing piece of the puzzle.

It's fairly clear now why these films are a "trilogy", as opposed to just three separate films from the same people; aside from the running gags and consistent cast, they're all genre-infused intepretations of social corruption/assimilation on a massive scale.

Colonel Whitey
May 22, 2004

This shit's about to go off.

As you can tell by my avatar I am also quite a big Hot Fuzz/Shaun/Edgar Wright fan. I was considering making a thread for this but I'm glad someone else is excited enough to have beaten me to it! In my opinion Wright cannot make a bad film, and even if this isn't as good as Shaun or Fuzz (but who are we kidding, it looks great) it will undoubtedly still be entertaining as hell.

Plucky Brit
Nov 7, 2009

Why did they show the fence gag?

Really looking forward to this.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

Dispensing unwanted fitness advice since 2005. P.S. Squat more! BEEFCAKE!!!

The World's End is the conclusion of their Cornetto (now apparently renamed 'Blood and Ice Cream') Trilogy

No doubt the name change is selling out to the American market, since none of us know what the gently caress a Cornetto is without looking it up. For shame!

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

. They went on to create 'Spaced', giving them enough notoriety to move on to the big screen with two incredible movies, 'Shaun of the Dead', the world's first RomZomCom (Romantic Zombie Comedy)

Ahem; I believe you've forgotten a little film called "My Boyfriend's Back."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJ4lHifAQg

And why not? Everybody else has!

Seriously though, The World's End is going to be amazing.

Desperado Bones
Aug 29, 2009

Cute, adorable, and creepy at the same time!

Plucky Brit posted:

Really looking forward to this.

I want to see a compilation of the all fence gags, the one in Hot Fuzz was hilarious.

Grope-A-Matic
Nov 16, 2008

sigh... you really suck at hand
to hand combat i wont lie and
this is way more challenging
then i thought it would be. to
teach you hand to hand combat,
alright i will try to teach you
some more hand to hand combat

Davros1 posted:

Ahem; I believe you've forgotten a little film called "My Boyfriend's Back."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ioJ4lHifAQg

And why not? Everybody else has!

Seriously though, The World's End is going to be amazing.

Wait, "My Boyfriend's Back" is an actual movie? It wasn't a fever dream I had as a child?

It is really hard to believe it's been that long since Shawn of the Dead was released. Definitely going to see this one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

Yes, fanservice is a big part of the series but not all of it, they're are pretty fun games. So let's try to keep it civil, ok?

It seems like I've been waiting forever for this. This summer is filled with great movies

BottledBacon
Sep 4, 2011

The same great taste with none of the chewing!

Plucky Brit posted:

I can't speak for Shaun of the Dead, but I know for a fact the fence gag was in the Hot Fuzz trailer too. So I guess that's always a freebie joke! Glad to see he managed to do the same joke 'Man falls down jumping over a fence' and keep it fresh for three different films.

Also I genuinely get creeped out when they're walking down that run of the mill high-street and everyone is just looking at them, I think everyone has felt out of place returning to their rubbish little hometown before.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Well done, Hopkins!

I honestly consider Shaun of the Dead to be one of the best movies I've ever seen. Edgar Wright is great. Simon Pegg is great. Nick Frost is great. I don't need to know any more. I will see this movie and in all likelihood will love it.

Rageaholic Monkey
May 31, 2005

cumbersome motion capture

Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz are two movies that will never fail to make me laugh my rear end off all the way through every time I see them. Heard about this one being in the planning stages a couple years ago, and I've been hyped ever since. Paul was decent but pretty forgettable, but it wasn't part of the Cornetto trilogy, just a Simon Pegg/Nick Frost movie. So I'm expecting this one to be on the same level of quality as SotD and HF. Can't wait!

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Aw, son of a bitch!

So loving glad this one got out of development hell (it was announced briefly after Hot Fuzz got released then absolutely nothing until like last year). I love Shaun of the Dead, Hot Fuzz and the comedy of Pegg/Frost with Wright's direction. Looking forward to this one to cap off the Cornetto trilogy.

Oh, and I liked Paul, it was a fun time and some good nerd fun.

Edit: Holy poo poo, that trailer, I was smiling from ear to ear. Finally, a summer comedy worth looking forward to!

Justin Godscock fucked around with this message at May 8, 2013 around 23:39

Twee as Fuck
Nov 13, 2012

Concentrate
Pull back the hammer

Hit the gym each night,

Justin Godscock posted:

It was alright but also utterly forgettable. Run Fatboy Run was funnier. That says a lot.

RandallODim
Dec 30, 2010

He presumably spends
his time traveling the world, annihilating any rapper foolish enough to challenge him

It's mildly surreal to finally be seeing footage from this, after such a long wait. I'm so excited I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make it through the next few months.

Also, this reminded me that I need to finally get a copy of Hot Fuzz so I can listen to all the commentary tracks. Especially the one that's just Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino just shooting the poo poo about movies.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

RandallODim posted:

It's mildly surreal to finally be seeing footage from this, after such a long wait. I'm so excited I'm not entirely sure how I'm going to make it through the next few months.

Also, this reminded me that I need to finally get a copy of Hot Fuzz so I can listen to all the commentary tracks. Especially the one that's just Edgar Wright and Quentin Tarantino just shooting the poo poo about movies.

That commentary owns.

pleasantlyplump
Aug 16, 2004

I will, brother. I promise.

Is that a Blu-ray commentary or is it on the dvd too?

Really looking forward to this! Loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I just need to contain my expectations and not get too hyped. I watched the trailer but I think I'm going to stop watching any others and try to go in as fresh as possible.

Keanu Grieves
Dec 30, 2002

TEAM DYLAN

I'm not really getting the Pegg/Frost/Wright/My Boyfriend's Back connection.

BrooklynBruiser
Aug 20, 2006

pleasantlyplump posted:

Is that a Blu-ray commentary or is it on the dvd too?

Really looking forward to this! Loved Shaun of the Dead and Hot Fuzz, I just need to contain my expectations and not get too hyped. I watched the trailer but I think I'm going to stop watching any others and try to go in as fresh as possible.

DVD, but special editions only, I think.

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Keanu Grieves posted:

I'm not really getting the Pegg/Frost/Wright/My Boyfriend's Back connection.

Twee as gently caress stated that Shaun of the Dead was the first RomZomCom, and I had to politely point out that it wasn't; My Boyfriend's Back came first.

Timeless Appeal
May 28, 2006

effectual posted:

So in addition to 2 white house terrorist movies this year, there are 2 party/world ending movies? Weird. I'm looking forward to this though.
Nope! Three. David Cross and Julia Stiles also have It's a Disaster which already came out.

Payndz
Sep 22, 2006

Your friend and protege,
Tom Copperfield.

Justin Godscock posted:

I'd avoided Paul because I'd got the impression from somewhere that it was a full-on stoner comedy, but MY GIRLFRIEND forced me to watch it because it was one of her favourite films, and I ended up really enjoying it. It kind of fell apart at the end when it tried to get all action-y with the big chase and didn't really pull it off, but overall it was goofy, nerdy fun.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

DAMMIT WESLEY!!!

Paul was decent, but it feels like it could have been amazing had Wright directed.

Irish Taxi Driver
Sep 12, 2004

We're just gonna open our tool palette and... get some entities... how about some nice happy trees? We'll put them near this barn. Give that cow some shade... There.

Ah man, while watching the past section I thought Matt Smith was one of the friends, and that they had the nerd hat trick of Scotty, Arthur Dent, and The Doctor going on a pub crawl.

Still, looks great!

soupcan58
Mar 13, 2008

You blew my mind, man!

It's fantastic to finally see a trailer for this! I've been excited for it ever since they announced it, and I'm even more excited now. If this doesn't live up to the first two films in the Blood and Cornetto, I'd be shocked. Getting this trio together always seems to mean great things.

ShoeFly
Dec 28, 2006

Waiter, there's a fly in my shoe!

That trailer is amazing, I cannot wait for this movie. Every movie I see before it comes out will just disappoint me now.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

Wisdom of Solomon.
Strength of Hercules.
Soul of Townshend.

Irish Taxi Driver posted:

Ah man, while watching the past section I thought Matt Smith was one of the friends, and that they had the nerd hat trick of Scotty, Arthur Dent, and The Doctor going on a pub crawl.

Still, looks great!

And Watson!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bruteman
Apr 15, 2003

Can I ask ya somethin', Padre? When I was kickin' your ass back there... you get a little wood?

So excited for this. I thought Shaun of the Dead was just good (beginning and middle were much stronger than the end), but Hot Fuzz was just an incredible movie from start to finish and one of my all-time favorites. Hope the new one measures up.

«14 »