Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kelthorn
Nov 22, 2003

Sure, you're right, I can do math too, so that's why I said "not all".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
Over the weekend I signed up for a bunch of Ascension tournaments at Gen Con. I sure hope the physical version of this game is as fun to play as iOS. :sweatdrop:

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Trustworthy posted:

Over the weekend I signed up for a bunch of Ascension tournaments at Gen Con. I sure hope the physical version of this game is as fun to play as iOS. :sweatdrop:

It's every bit as much fun, only a lot slower (if you're coming from the app). I would give you a heads up though that most of the con tourneys right now are running the Rise of Vigil set. So you may want to take a moment to familiarize yourself with the new Treasure/Energize mechanic as well as the new cards themselves (annoyingly their card DB doesn't do deep linking, but scroll to the bottom for filters).

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!
Am I the only one eagerly anticipating Agricola's release? It's been over a week now since being submitted for approval. I'm hoping for this week but considering the total drought of press I don't know what to think.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

I don’t mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel. But I am, so that’s how it comes out.

Lord Wexia posted:

Am I the only one eagerly anticipating Agricola's release? It's been over a week now since being submitted for approval. I'm hoping for this week but considering the total drought of press I don't know what to think.

No way! Join the groupMe if you want to see a bunch of people keep asking if it's out yet. I've been doing a bit of refresh camping myself. I had thought it was due out last week. I think it has been submitted for approval so it must have gotten rejected. Presumably they are addressing whatever gripe Apple had and resubmitting. That's not something I'd advertise either.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Beelzebozo posted:

Huh? I'm showing 35 total white points in that position (38 if I pick up the free 3 card). So from there, each additional coin is worth at least 35 points.

…which is more than 20 :confused:

Hey guys, hey guys - the only right play is to run the whites; tossing him that green 5 gives him pretty good odds on getting the 8 card bonus. So 40>38>35. And even though I know Kelthorn is a very unlucky person, I also know that Beelze-Firesauce-bozo also has some luck issues.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

porktree posted:

Hey guys, hey guys - the only right play is to run the whites; tossing him that green 5 gives him pretty good odds on getting the 8 card bonus. So 40>38>35. And even though I know Kelthorn is a very unlucky person, I also know that Beelze-Firesauce-bozo also has some luck issues.

We all just seem unlucky to you because you are loving awesome at games. I'm for real about to defriend you to protect my Ascension W/L ratio.

Trustworthy
Dec 28, 2004

with catte-like thread
upon our prey we steal
I miiiiiight just beat Eight at LARP Cuties for a second time. I should probably start booking a trip to Vegas, or buy a lottery ticket or something.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.

Beelzebozo posted:

We all just seem unlucky to you because you are loving awesome at games. I'm for real about to defriend you to protect my Ascension W/L ratio.
Ha, I think I get lucky against you - I'm not that good. Ask, Eight, TACD, Dimerhutton or RudyRiot to name only a few of the folks that beat me regularly.

edit: also in LC tournement news, what's up with that game between Thegreatcodfish and trustywren it's been going on for ever or so.

EightFlyingCars
Jun 30, 2008

Trustworthy posted:

I miiiiiight just beat Eight at LARP Cuties for a second time. I should probably start booking a trip to Vegas, or buy a lottery ticket or something.

sorry too late you have already used up all your luck forever

thegreatcodfish
Aug 2, 2004

porktree posted:

Ha, I think I get lucky against you - I'm not that good. Ask, Eight, TACD, Dimerhutton or RudyRiot to name only a few of the folks that beat me regularly.

edit: also in LC tournement news, what's up with that game between Thegreatcodfish and trustywren it's been going on for ever or so.

I think we are down to 10 cards or so. Should be done by then end of next month :v:

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Anybody interested in Formula D on iOS, there's a knockoff called Racer Feud. It was apparently being made for Asmodee and they declined to go with it. Free with annoying popups, .99 for the base game and .99 for additional tracks past the first two.

Mandalay
Mar 16, 2007

WoW Forums Refugee

Beelzebozo posted:

No way! Join the groupMe if you want to see a bunch of people keep asking if it's out yet. I've been doing a bit of refresh camping myself. I had thought it was due out last week. I think it has been submitted for approval so it must have gotten rejected. Presumably they are addressing whatever gripe Apple had and resubmitting. That's not something I'd advertise either.

Wish Appshopper would let me add this game to my wishlist and shoot me an email when it's released..

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
Who wants in for a big game of Racer Feud? It's a more the merrier type thing.

Rudy Riot
Nov 18, 2007

I'll catch you Bran! Hmm... nevermind.

porktree posted:

We used to be pretty even but I haven't been able to beat you in ages! My mojo is gone.

Games of Stone Age take forever, but I don't mind and would love some games if anyones down. GC: RudyRiot

AMISH FRIED PIES
Mar 6, 2009

by Nyc_Tattoo

CNN Sports Ticker posted:

I'm in, GC username is the exact same as my username here.

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

djfooboo is GC Name!

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

I'm in. Crack Bone is GC nick.

Bullbar
Apr 18, 2007

The Aristocrats!
once errbody accepts my GC request, I'll crank the game up

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

Medici isn't multiplayer is it?
Derp, you are correct.

I also added Racer Feud to the spreadsheet.

TACD fucked around with this message at 16:27 on May 21, 2013

manero
Jan 30, 2006

Finally! PocketTactics scored some screenshots of Agricola:

http://pockettactics.com/2013/05/21/bountiful-harvest-two-exclusive-screenshots-of-playdeks-agricola-for-ios/

Lord Wexia
Sep 27, 2005

Boo zombie apocalypse.
Hooray beer!

Whoa! That's definitely not what I expected but it looks pretty cool regardless. I have a feeling that it will be pretty tough to play on a phone with such huge graphics, though.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

I think this screenshot is photoshopped, it's missing the end of the sentence "...but you only have 2 out of 6 food needed to feed your family, which means that you will be dicked out of all the food spaces by your so-called 'friends'."

Coin
Jan 9, 2006

I'm no shitposter; I always know how I'm posting is wrong. I'm just a guy that doesn't like reading the thread, effortposting, and respecting the mods. So if you think about it, I'm the best poster here.
I want Agricola badly just because it's a worker placement game. I don't know what it is, but that just feels like the perfect mechanic to me.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Coin posted:

I want Agricola badly just because it's a worker placement game. I don't know what it is, but that just feels like the perfect mechanic to me.

Looks like it's going to be another week :(

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Lord Wexia posted:

It feels like this thing was announced two years ago, though I'm probably off there. It's been hard to get excited about it when there's been tons of articles talking about its upcoming release but no screenshots until the thing was submitted to the market. It's a day one purchase for me, and day one will be when I remember it's supposed to have been released already.

hey girl you up
May 21, 2001

Forum Nice Guy
There's an Agricola interview up on Pocket Tactics.

quote:

With Agricola there’s changes that we’d wanted to make in previous products that we hadn’t had time to. We’ve also gotten tremendous feedback from the community and Agricola incorporates some of those changes. Menus are better, getting into games is easier and quicker.
:allears:

http://pockettactics.com/2013/05/22/the-agricola-interview-joel-goodman-on-playdeks-biggest-game-yet

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

Aaaaaughibbrgubugbugrguburgle!
Is Stone Age an example of a worker placement game? Just trying to figure out a game I've played that is considered "worker placement"

djfooboo
Oct 16, 2004

KarmaticStylee posted:

Is Stone Age an example of a worker placement game? Just trying to figure out a game I've played that is considered "worker placement"

Yes, I called it babby's first worker placement game before Lords of Waterdeep came out and took it's place.

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

djfooboo posted:

Yes, I called it babby's first worker placement game before Lords of Waterdeep came out and took it's place.

Awesome, I enjoy Stone Age quite a bit! Will definitely pick up Agricola once my Eclipse kick is over. I am quite terrible at Eclipse and for that reason I keep coming back for more (though I do play against Hardcore computers)

panko
Sep 6, 2005

~honda best man~

play real people. 8)

KarmaticStylee
Apr 21, 2007

MizuZero posted:

play real people. 8)

Would be nice but it sounds time consuming on the iPad. Maybe once I play enough against the computer and get good enough I'll give it a shot.

And if you're talking table top - I need a new group of friends for that.

Are there any good strategy guides?

Geburan
Nov 4, 2010
How's the iPad version of smallworld? It just dropped to 2.99.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Geburan posted:

How's the iPad version of smallworld? It just dropped to 2.99.

Good but very limited. Two players only, no online multiplayer. They are in the process of developing a new version that will fix all those problems, they had a kickstarter for it and it's in development now, which is probably why the price dropped.

Beelzebozo
Nov 6, 2002

If you buy the app now you will get the new version free though so go for it.

edit: Update is due out this summer on iOS with Android and PC to follow in the winter, according to Kickstarter updates.

Quickpull
Mar 1, 2003

We're all mad here.
Playdek apps are on sale now in case you don't already own them all.

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

Warhammer Quest is out, but it sounds a bit dodgy. Apparently you can buy gold through IAP, and there's also a room event where you lose half your gold.

I don't remember if they're staying true to the source material or if it's a blatant money grab.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Crackbone posted:

Warhammer Quest is out, but it sounds a bit dodgy. Apparently you can buy gold through IAP, and there's also a room event where you lose half your gold.

I don't remember if they're staying true to the source material or if it's a blatant money grab.

It's good and doesn't feel like a blatant money grab. Unfortunately I don't remember enough about Warhammer Quest to tell you if it's completely true to the source material or not in terms of mechanics, but it feels right to me. You can buy gold, but at least so far I can't see why you'd want to except to cheat your way to better equipment. The rate of loot gain feels on par with any other dungeon crawler.

In terms of IAP, you can think of it as one game that costs around $20. Assuming there's as much content as there seems to be, I would judge that to be pretty fair, especially since the actual questing content (including the base game) is only $10 total. I think $3/character is maybe a little high, but $10 for the rest of the game feels like a strong enough value that I can't bring myself to complain about the total cost.

LumberingTroll
Sep 9, 2007

Really it's not because
I don't like you...

Crackbone posted:

Its actually pretty amazing and if I didnt have a ton of stuff to do today I could easily sink most of the day into it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

I haven't gotten to play much Warhammer Quest yet (fuckin' work) but it seems like a pretty faithful port thus far and I'm really digging it.

I know it's not really an apples-to-apples comparison since the iOS version doesn't have the social interaction, multiplayer aspect, or physical components that the real boardgame has. But I'll point out that $20 for the full iOS game and add-on content seems like an absolute steal when you consider that the boardgame has been out of print for well over a decade and the base game with all pieces sells for upwards of $250 on the secondary market.

• Locked thread