Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shine
Feb 26, 2007

No Muscles For The Majority

Y-Hat posted:

I think I already posted here, but I figured I'd do it again to clear up any misconceptions about my forum name. It has nothing to do with the old "w-hat" thing. It is just a variable name in statistics, nothing more.

Hopefully this will put to rest that insidious misconception that people definitely think and care about.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Island Nation
Jun 20, 2006
Trust No One
I originally used just my email address name without numbers (some old threads might still have a reference to it). I changed it to sync up with my Xbox and PSN names.

The name itself is just a variation of the whole City Name Sports Team Nation that cropped up after the Red Sox won in 2004. I just changed it so that it actually would make some sense since we all live on islands, some are just bigger than others.

Thrasophius
Oct 27, 2013

Couldn't think of a decent name so clicked random on a name generator, liked the look of it and now here I am. It was many a year ago but I've stuck with it.

Thrasophius fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Apr 10, 2014

aardwolf
Apr 27, 2013
I own a dictionary, also I'm incredibly lazy.

Immanentized
Mar 17, 2009
the ATHF episode I was watching at the time, and the time stamp.

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
It's the first word of a two word anagram of my real name and the city I was born in.

Esroc fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Apr 11, 2014

ShadowMoo
Mar 13, 2011

by Shine
One of my characters on WoW was a tauren DK named Shadowmoo.

GlassLotus
Mar 16, 2014

I once got a fortune cookie that said "Ask your mom". I've also gotten several blank fortune cookies... I guess that explains why I'm broke.
I played an online game when I was little with a random name generator and it gave me the name Glassmind and liked the name.
I later started using forum names like BlueRose and color+flower names.
I liked lotus flowers so I decided to start using GlassLotus for gaming, and then I started using it for forums too.

titties
May 10, 2012

They're like two suicide notes stuffed into a glitter bra

i fuckin love titties

(which I believe is possible to do while also cherishing the individuality of the human beings that they belong to)

Also, Illinois Enema Bandit didn't fit and someone already had bewbs

Hippie Hedgehog
Feb 19, 2007

Ever cuddled a hedgehog?
I don't think mine needs any explanation, really. If you have any questions, let me know.

Captain No-mates
Apr 3, 2010

I am extremely unpopular.

Tigern
Sep 6, 2012

possibly tiger
Grimey Drawer

Captain No-mates posted:

I am extremely unpopular.

But you have a cute avatar.

54.4 crowns
Apr 7, 2011

To think before you speak is like wiping your arse before you shit.
Twas the currency rates of the time.

orange sky
May 7, 2007

I absolutely love the song.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug
My username means "a gullible person" in Celtic.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

I am a grown rear end men

JUST MAKING CHILI
Feb 14, 2008
Blacksploitation films are the pinnacle of cinema.

HiipFire
Sep 1, 2013

JENNY DEATH LIVES
Hip Fire is a term referring to shooting your gun without using the sights.
(I'm not a gun guy, I thought of the name while playing FPS games.)
For some stupid reason I wanted the 2 words to have the same size/amount of letters, so I added an extra i in Hip

FAGGY CLAUSE
Apr 9, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That indian dude from office space tries to rape billy bob thornton in bad santa in a parking lot and calls him faggy clause

brakanjan
May 26, 2014
afrikaans version of this

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dogtanian_and_the_Three_Muskehounds

Dogtanian = Brakanjan

jeeves
May 27, 2001

Deranged Psychopathic
Butler Extraordinaire
I played a lot of TF back in the quake1 days. Spy was my favorite class. The reskin models for spies in the quake1 engine was really low quality, so they tried to make it look like a James Bond. It looked like a demented butler instead. I picked my username Jeeves for this.

That was like 16 years ago, and I was still using the same name by the time I re-registered to SA in 2001. Haven't changed my icon or stuff since.

Weird how time flies.

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 4, 2011
It's a snowclone of the "X CURES Y" thing.

You use salt in the process of curing meats.

It is a terrible, terrible pun.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

I am an adorable star.

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Chernobyl Princess was the name of a racehorse that was enthusiastically shouted by the announcer while I was regging.

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.
A friend of mine kept asking me what I wanted for Christmas in 2007 I think. I couldn't think of anything specific so I told him to get me a magical game system that plays everything. My name was the result, and the present.

dizzywhip
Dec 23, 2005

http://video.adultswim.com/space-ghost-coast-to-coast/te-detesto.html

whos that broooown
Dec 10, 2009

2024 Comeback Poster of the Year
This, pretty much.

Datasmurf
Jan 19, 2009

Carpe Noctem
I made this nick back in '97 or '98 when I needed a nickname for my friends to call me so they wouldn't use my last name (it didn't start sticking until 10 years later though), and a nick for chat sites and IRC instead of the usual "horndog11" or "camboy86".

In school we read about street lingo, and in the 90s street lingo of Oslo, Norway, a "smurf" was a tiny kid with baggy clothes, and I had just brought the baggy clothes to my homeplace from a small town in the south east (I kinda live in Bumfuck, Nowhere), starting a lovely trend with clothes and bling from Wu-Tang, Sean Combs et cetera.

Then I just put on "Data" in front of it because I loved spending time in front of the computer ("Datamaskin" is the Norwegian word for computer) playing games and surfing the web on our superfast 56k (or maybe we had gotten 128k ISDN by that time, I don't remember). It has followed me ever since. From my first online mail accounts and webpages on GeoCities and the like, to forum accounts, games and what not.

The avatar is some manga I liked when I registered, "Märchen Awakes Romance", or "MÄR" for short. I liked the looks of one of the characters I guess, and inverted the colours. Easy as pie.

Pomp and Circumcized
Dec 23, 2006

If there's one thing I love more than GruntKilla420, it's the Queen! Also bacon.
My username means that I posted in a 'post here to change your username' thread a while back.

Phineas
Jan 18, 2006
Styrofoam Boots
Read a book way back in middle school. All I remember is there was a guy named Phineas, and he seemed pretty cool. I hesitated when I created this account, and that was the first name that popped into my head.

brakanjan
May 26, 2014

Phineas posted:

Read a book way back in middle school. All I remember is there was a guy named Phineas, and he seemed pretty cool. I hesitated when I created this account, and that was the first name that popped into my head.

80 days around the world?

PSWII60
Jan 7, 2007

All the best octopodes shoot fire and ice.

brakanjan posted:

80 days around the world?

I assumed he was talking about Phineas Gage.

MrSlam
Apr 25, 2014

And there you sat, eating hamburgers while the world cried.
My username is my favorite character from the Twisted Metal franchise. Twisted Metal 2 was my favorite game growing up. I spent hours and hours killing cars with and without cheats and MR SLAM was my number one guy.

In retrospect I spent an equal amount of time on Vigilante 8 but...no, no TM2 was my favorite.

skellycakes
Dec 2, 2005

mediocre!

PSWII60 posted:

I assumed he was talking about Phineas Gage.

I read A Separate Peace in middle school and named my hamster Phineas after the character in that book - mainly because I liked the sound of the name (though Phineas was a cool guy). Phineas Gage sounds significantly more interesting, though I still am fond of A Separate Peace.

Cpt.Sean Luc Picard
Nov 24, 2006
man why you even got to do a thing?
http://picard.ytmnd.com/ and replaced Jean with my name - Sean! Fun stuff.

Cannabis
Feb 15, 2009
I was consuming cannabis while registering my account. I didn't think it would be available.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

a bastardisation of the old norse word for wolf, "úlfr"

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007
Had a really nasty fungus on sac that looked like some sort of fruit or vegetable. Doctor says so long as I keep taking the antibiotics and don't go out in public it will clear up soon.

Hats Wouldnt Fly
Feb 9, 2010

Redfont is my hero.
"We can have capitals and spaces in the guild name, but no swearing, so Assholes in
Hats wouldn't fly."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kung Fu Jesus
Jun 20, 2002

lol jews gonna get fucked.
In the 90s, MTV had a little news blurb about a story on local bands. One was named Kung Fu Jesus. It made me laugh and I never forgot it.

• Locked thread