Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«29 »
Lizard Wizard
Dec 25, 2004

Khajiit like to WUB WUB WUB

Being that we're goons, we all see recommendations flying left and right for the greatest games of all time that holy poo poo everyone should play because they're so great. But some of us just find they're not what they're cracked up to be. We've all been there, right? Share your experiences.

I recently tried F-Zero GX after hearing good things about it (and watching the F-Zero episode of Game Center CX), and frankly, I don't know how the gently caress any human's supposed to play it. How can I even process what's going on around me? Why am I so much slower than the other racers? Wait, I lost already. gently caress. I don't get F-Zero GX.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

relax-o-vision
Feb 21, 2007

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was the first Bethesda game I ever tried, and I'm just baffled by the esteem in which it's held. I get that it's a huge world where you can "go anywhere and do anything," but literally none of the things you can do are well executed. The combat is totally unsatisfying because swinging a sword feels like waving a stick, every dungeon feels copy-pasted so there's no incentive to explore, and the writing and voice acting are bar-none the worst I have ever seen in a game. Somebody explain to me what the appeal of this game is!

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

The original Halo Trilogy , The original looked awful and didn't play much better in my opinion. I'm not sure if it was just that was the only xbox game half worth buying at launch so owners had to defend it. I enjoyed ODST and Reach as by then they had added some sort of story to it but the original trilogy just left me cold. I kept on buying them as I was sure I was missing something as all my friends were saying it was great but I never really got it.

Halifax
May 22, 2006

Technology Equals Might Want to Loot Instead

BioShock. The story sounds great, but I found the gameplay to be severely lacking to the point that I couldn't be bothered to play it long enough to finish it.

This might be a little on the border of a "great" game but all my friends loved MechWarrior 4, but I didn't like it anywhere near as much as I liked 3. I think on this one it was the visuals, as they seemed more arcadey compared to 3's. The gameplay felt arcadey as well, which I guess is fine for a game about walking death robots. This might also be because 3 was so goddamned great that anything following it was doomed to live in its shadow (In my feeble mind anyway).

bluetail
Jul 8, 2012

I can appreciate Shadow of the Colossus from an artistic standpoint, but the gameplay itself was really pretty aggravating. I used to spend hours trying to find the weak spot on most of the bosses, while continually falling off and dying in the process. If it weren't for online walkthroughs I would have probably retired the game in defeat after the third or fourth colossus.

DrBouvenstein
Feb 28, 2007

I think I'm a doctor, but that doesn't make me a doctor. This fancy avatar does.

The Metal Gear Solid series.

I guess it's not supposed to be serious? Only, sometimes it is, but only sometimes? Except the first couple, they're totally straight-laced, but maybe not?

I dunno, gently caress it.

Pope Mobile
Nov 12, 2006

CANNOT STOP SHITPOSTING FOR FIVE MINUTES

twosideddice posted:

The original Halo Trilogy , The original looked awful and didn't play much better in my opinion. I'm not sure if it was just that was the only xbox game half worth buying at launch so owners had to defend it. I enjoyed ODST and Reach as by then they had added some sort of story to it but the original trilogy just left me cold. I kept on buying them as I was sure I was missing something as all my friends were saying it was great but I never really got it.

The only thing I found entertaining about Halo was playing with friends, but that can make any game fun.

sword_man.gif
Apr 12, 2007

System Shock 2.

Probably because of the ridiculous amount of system mastery you need before you start in order to not completely gently caress yourself over.

OK Some Butt Stuff
Jun 8, 2002

Stalker. The first one anyway. I found that game impossible.

Scorched Spitz
Dec 12, 2011

I thought the controls to Metal Gear Solid 3: Snake Eater were way too clunky for me.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Actually, Lucy, my trouble is football. I just don't understand it. Instead of feeling happy, I feel sort of let down.

Go Lions.

Lizard Wizard posted:

I recently tried F-Zero GX after hearing good things about it (and watching the F-Zero episode of Game Center CX), and frankly, I don't know how the gently caress any human's supposed to play it. How can I even process what's going on around me? Why am I so much slower than the other racers? Wait, I lost already. gently caress. I don't get F-Zero GX.

Start by never, ever touching Story Mode

I played Psychonauts for the first time a few weeks back after having it sit in my Steam backlog forever, and I just couldn't understand why everyone seems to fawn over it. I guess it's kind of funny but the gameplay was really dated and clunky (even by 2004 standards, when it first came out) and just not all that fun. It was one of the few games I dropped at the end rather than tough it out to beat it.

Everyone is always drawing comparisons from other games to Dark Souls and talking about how awesome it is, but I look at it and see a generic fantasy 3D hack-n-slash from Japan that happens to scratch the "games have too much hand-holding" itch that so many goons by explaining nothing or being purposefully obtuse, depending on how you want to look at it. I'll fully disclose that I haven't actually played the game but I watched the entire semi-blind LP that Geop did on the forums, and it just looked so dull even with the humor and the mild help that his co-commentators brought to it. I am interested in eventually playing it though, mostly because no one who played the game seems capable of shutting up about it.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at May 9, 2013 around 21:32

Thwack!
Aug 14, 2010

Somebody come and rescue me quick,

or I'm gonna be the admin's next pick!

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

I dunno, I like the psionic elements this game has to offer, and a bunch of the stuff in this game is very Deus Ex-esque, but somehow... I can't really put myself to keep going on. Maybe someday when I pick up this game for the hundredth time, I might actually be hooked.

sentientcarbon
Aug 21, 2008

OFFLINE GAMES ARE THE FUTURE OF ONLINE GAMING

The numbers don't lie. 99.99% of every Diablo 3 player wants the game to be offline. This is a FACT.

OH SHIT IS THAT A WEBCAM? HOLY CRAP GET THAT AWAY FROM ME! (I am terrified of being spied on, because I am a very interesting person)

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess it's not supposed to be serious? Only, sometimes it is, but only sometimes? Except the first couple, they're totally straight-laced, but maybe not?

I dunno, gently caress it.

God, this more than anything. I'm ok with super-serious scenes. I'm ok with wacky scenes. What I'm not ok with is mixing these two all willy-nilly. In MGS4 you could have a scene where Snake ruminates on the dehumanizing nature of war, followed by a scene where mister wacky time poops his pants ~*lol*~, followed by a scene where Drebin describes the horrific life of a child soldier, followed by Otacon telling you to push [R1] on your *Awesome PS3 Controller*(tm).

There's tongue-in-cheek and then there's completely tone-deaf, and in my opinion the MGS series (at least #4) falls waaaay closer to the latter than the former. And the writing in the series is just poor in general. The plot is mind-numbingly basic (a buncha rich guys rule the world and we gotta stop 'em), but is rendered nigh-incomprehensible with septuple agents quadruple-crossing each other every ten seconds.

relax-o-vision posted:

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion was the first Bethesda game I ever tried, and I'm just baffled by the esteem in which it's held. I get that it's a huge world where you can "go anywhere and do anything," but literally none of the things you can do are well executed. The combat is totally unsatisfying because swinging a sword feels like waving a stick, every dungeon feels copy-pasted so there's no incentive to explore, and the writing and voice acting are bar-none the worst I have ever seen in a game. Somebody explain to me what the appeal of this game is!

This one too. After the alien, hand-crafted beauty of Morrowind, Oblivion just felt intolerably bland.

My own mention would have to be Arcanum. It's basically a cool character-building system bogged down by a bland world, bland art, a bland story, and just general blandness. How boring was the overall experience? Well, I sat down about a year ago to play through it after hearing people singing its praises in some Games thread, and as I played through the first few minutes I kept being surprised at how familiar everything seemed. Then I suddenly remembered that I had actually played and finished the game a few years before, and had just completely forgotten it. That was how little an impression it left on me.

smell the witch
Jun 10, 2011

I just don't get the appeal of Amnesia. It's not scary or engrossing and the fear effect kinda annoyed me. First time I saw a monster I walked up to it and it just stood there staring at me, kinda killed the motivation right there. Does this game only work if I'm playing at midnight in a dark room with headphones on or something?

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

I wrote this a while back, but this definitely applies to Far Cry 3 for me.

I bought it for $25 and tried really hard to like it, but the experience felt strangely shallow. That is, while there were an abundance of things to do, the individual activities weren't particularly deep, difficult, or engaging. I think the whole experience was an odd marriage, with its super serious, "sheltered child becomes Colonel Kurtz" singleplayer story, hosted in a sandbox that was reminiscent of a F2P multiplayer game. Prompts would harass you to go here and do that in regards to the main story, but you couldn't run 20 feet without bumping into a new sideshow to preoccupy yourself with, be it an outpost to liberate, arcade-style shooting gallery, racing mini-game, hunting quest, or firefight between "red" and "blue" teams. It felt like the game was a few steps short of a "multiplayer-light" experience similar to Borderlands, but they still wanted to push a storyline that presented your character as somebody whose actions--probably within 10 minutes of playing the game--no longer matched the character the story wanted to portray.

Out of the box, there are a lot of issue with the interface, too. Ubisoft came up with an ugly and unimaginative menu for managing your inventory, involving a block of dull grey icons. The crafting "menu" is a clunky series of directories with directories, sort of like navigating subdirectories within Windows. Even though the whole idea of hunting, foraging, and crafting is rendered (mostly) pointless once you've blown through everything that can be made, the game continues to treat crafting ingredients as something more important than "useless junk", so you still can't sell them with the press of a button--every single foraged/hunted ingredient must be sold individually, with confirmation prompts. The good news is that most ingredients aren't worth the time it takes to collect and sell them, and since the game's economy is broken and you'll have more cash than God, it's something of a wash. Also, notifications linger on the screen for a painfully long time. Mods have sort of fixed some of these problems, though.

The game wasn't particularly challenging, either, which was probably the worst part for me. I'd inevitably go on autopilot while playing the game because, from the get-go, your character is a loving terminator. As you kill things and acquire skill points, you're given the illusion of building a character. However, you eventually realize that every skill will be selected, so it's a completely moot point. Just jam those shits in wherever they will go and turn yourself into some sort of demigod. The game also, paradoxically, implements a system where clearing outposts permanently pacifies the surrounding areas, meaning that, unlike Far Cry 2, you can render entire areas completely devoid of hostile NPCs. Perhaps it's to give the player a sense of progress, but it feels more like an idea that wasn't completely thought out.

Jeza
Feb 13, 2011

The cries of the dead are terrible indeed; you should try not to hear them.

I attempted to play a few Final Fantasy games but none of them tickled my pickle. In fact every JRPG where grinding is a necessity to advance (pretty much all of them?) holds little appeal for me. Attach poor writing/story, uninspiring turn based combat, constant trial error boss fights, being made to retrace steps often and poor hairstyling makes me just turn off. I still haven't attempted the famous one, VII or as some people tell me the real best one is VIII or IX. Similarly no MMO has ever held my interest for more than 2 months, as such I have never made it to any endgame content.

I remain unconvinced on all counts.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

twosideddice posted:

This is my big one. I don't know how to say this without sounding douchey but I've always felt it got so popular because it was on a console. It was a good step up from GoldenEye but I've never talked to someone that loved it after playing Quake or Halflife.

ElectricBlizzard
Jun 24, 2011

Halifax posted:

BioShock. The story sounds great, but I found the gameplay to be severely lacking to the point that I couldn't be bothered to play it long enough to finish it.

Yeah this.

The setting and atmosphere was all great but halfway through the game i realized i just wasn't actually having fun.
Gunplay, movement both felt weird and the stupid hacking minigame that comes up roughly every 5 minutes...

The big daddys looked cool but just weren't fun to fight against at all.
Near the end i was constantly running out of ammo until you find that your wrench actually is able to be one of the most powerful weapons but by then i was in "let's just get this over with"-mode.
The lame jump scares at the start, press x for evil y for good, and the bad ending where out of nowhere you happen to find a submarine with a nuclear bomb on it because you killed the little sisters.
It just didn't feel like the amazing game people claimed it to be.

I did decide to give bioshock 2 a go which i found to be a lot more enjoyable and engaging (but screw whoever thought the drill needed rapid fuel consumption)

BooLoo
Oct 18, 2010

Thwack! posted:

E.Y.E: Divine Cybermancy

I dunno, I like the psionic elements this game has to offer, and a bunch of the stuff in this game is very Deus Ex-esque, but somehow... I can't really put myself to keep going on. Maybe someday when I pick up this game for the hundredth time, I might actually be hooked.

I really really wanted to like this one but I don't think I even made it through the tutorial stages. Everything about it just felt too much like hard work.

Peanut President
Nov 5, 2008

twosideddice posted:

I'll admit that I didn't play Halo when it came out, only later but goddamn was that game boring.

BumbleChump
Sep 16, 2007

My guitar is in my BUTT!

Pretty much every third party AAA big budget mature title like Assassin's creed, Bioshock, Call of Duty, Battlefield, you know, the ones that come out every drat year and sell millions for some reason. I've played at least one from all of these series and they are so BORING. What's different this time?! I don't get the popularity.

LateToTheParty
Oct 13, 2012

The bane of my existence.

Resident Evil 4: I tried to get into the game years after it came out but I just felt that the game's controls were clunky. Also not being able to move and shoot was annoying.

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

relax-o-vision posted:

Honestly, I really enjoyed Oblivion myself but I have a hard time explaining why since pretty much everything you say about it is definitely true. My only explanation is that I like just running around the countryside completing dumb little quests for some weird reason. And it has a really good soundtrack while you do it, so there's that I guess. Skyrim was actually the first Elder Scrolls game I ever played and playing Oblivion afterwards was a let down.

C-Euro posted:

Everyone is always drawing comparisons from other games to Dark Souls and talking about how awesome it is, but I look at it and see a generic fantasy 3D hack-n-slash from Japan that happens to scratch the "games have too much hand-holding" itch that so many goons by explaining nothing or being purposefully obtuse, depending on how you want to look at it. I'll fully disclose that I haven't actually played the game but I watched the entire semi-blind LP that Geop did on the forums, and it just looked so dull even with the humor and the mild help that his co-commentators brought to it. I am interested in eventually playing it though, mostly because no one who played the game seems capable of shutting up about it.

This one is mine, as much as I'm afraid to bring up Dark Souls since it always seems to generate derails. It just seems ridiculously hard and frustrating to me. And whenever someone explains it to me, it's always something about memorizing enemy attack patterns in minute detail and responding to them accordingly which just sounds boring as hell to me. Then again I mostly play games to relax, so I'm not really in it for much of a challenge or to be punished by having to do the whole drat thing over whenever I gently caress up.

Abrakadaver
May 1, 2013

I think for me it has to be StarCraft.

It's clearly very popular given the e-sports attention it receives, and its an old school base building RTS -which is a genre I'm beginning to really miss - but for some reason which I can't quite put my finger on it just entirely fails to capture me. Not for lack of trying, mind, it's a game I really wish I 'got'.

Stottie Kyek
Apr 26, 2008

fuckin egg in a bun

I don't understand the appeal of all the hundreds of realistic war games, particularly the more revisionist ones that overstate America's involvement in WWII in Europe or trivialise the whole war. I tried to play Blitzkrieg a while ago when I saw it on sale, but I kept thinking of my grandparents' horrible war stories and felt a bit sick and couldn't have any fun with it.
I like RTS games set in silly fantasy worlds (like the C&C Tiberium series) and while it's not the kind of thing I'd enjoy, I can appreciate the idea of a game where the horrors of war are properly presented and handled, in a dignified and respectful way. But the kind of games where you're meant to have fun planning strategies, or multiplayer games where you're laughing along with your mates and teabagging corpses or whatever, just don't fit with how I think a major historical event that's still in living memory like WWII (or more recent wars) should be treated.

On a lighter note, Tomb Raider. I couldn't get over how clunky and unresponsive the controls were, or how daft the plots were. Rayman was always my favourite platform game instead. Sure, the stories were daft and simplistic too, but it's about a wee guy with helicopter hair and his cowardly frog best mate, it works in context.

Also the Myst series is an odd one for me. I absolutely love the whole concept, the book series that goes with the games, the graphics, the music, the setting (and the effort put into it, building the whole D'ni culture with its own customs, architecture, dress, and even its own language and number system) and the storyline, but actually playing them doesn't feel interesting to me at all, and the puzzles don't quite fit, as if they're put in there just so you have something to do. I have the feeling they'd make a fantastic movie series rather than games.

Jeza posted:

I attempted to play a few Final Fantasy games but none of them tickled my pickle. In fact every JRPG where grinding is a necessity to advance (pretty much all of them?) holds little appeal for me. Attach poor writing/story, uninspiring turn based combat, constant trial error boss fights, being made to retrace steps often and poor hairstyling makes me just turn off. I still haven't attempted the famous one, VII or as some people tell me the real best one is VIII or IX. Similarly no MMO has ever held my interest for more than 2 months, as such I have never made it to any endgame content.

I remain unconvinced on all counts.

The thing I don't like about Final Fantasy is you're always shown a lovely big map, as if you'll be exploring a huge world, but when you actually play, you're constantly railroaded into going along a very restricted, linear path, and it feels more like you're just getting past one boring obstacle after another.

Stottie Kyek fucked around with this message at May 10, 2013 around 01:16

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!

So, I like RPGs. Quite a lot. But I never got the Dragon Quest thing. At every generation, the games just seem poorly-conceived, badly put-together and hideously ugly compared to everything else on the market. The ugliness is what strikes me the most - everything about the visuals seems almost aggressively average, from the standardized color palettes to the new-age Dragonball Z artwork. The storyline is inevitably spread-out and disappointing when I do uncover it, and grind itself is not enjoyable gameplay. Every time one comes out, half the world gets paralyzed with adoration while I have a couple other RPGs I could be playing instead. So I do. Oh well.

Similarly, I like roguelikes, and I can't do The Binding of Isaac. I actually do love the design and the purposely esoteric storyline, but the pace of the game frustrates me. The thing I love most about roguelikes is the ability to leap into and then extricate myself from abominable situations. I like having five minutes to uncover the perfect strategy for dealing with the fifteen thousand death-monsters clacking their mandibles at my warm and quivering meat body. Here, none of that. It's like a combination of a roguelike and a bullet hell shooter, which many people enjoy. Many people also enjoy drinking pickle juice.

Finally, Settlers of Catan. I'm enjoying the current boom in board gaming, but I can't do the granddady of them all. For reason, see Dragon Quest for "aggressively boring".

Horrible Smutbeast
Sep 2, 2011

It'd definitely be something like Bastion for me.

I understand the appeal, and it's a fairly pretty game but I was so goddamn bored after the first few levels. It's just the same enemy types over and over while the narrator coos on about how you're doing all this cool stuff when really you're grinding through the same trash mobs with way too much health, falling off the set pieces because you can't see dick all, and going through all your useless powers to try to find one that will do something worthwhile. I didn't understand how everyone could scream this game was art either, since all the fans seem to bring up is the narrator's voice and the art assets. Sorry, but a game needs more than that to be a good game to me.

I don't have much expectations for their sequel game either, Transistor, which just looks like Bastion set in a faux 1930's lasertech world. Very very beautiful looking games, I just don't think they're fun.

Baron Von Pigeon
May 26, 2006

Highway to the Danger Zone!
Ride into the Danger Zone!

Halifax posted:

I didn't even find the story good, let alone great. I'm certainly no fan of Randian Objectivism or Libertarianism but I found everything about this whole game to be needlessly heavy handed caricaturization of philosophies that are absurd enough on their own without the cartoonishly dystopian representation. I found the gameplay to be mediocre at best and I shelved the game for good after a total of three hours when I got bored backtracking to find some little girl I missed. I also groaned pretty hard because I got this hacking puzzle that seems impossible to solve. Thanks game, great job.

I really don't see why anyone likes this game. Luckily I wasn't out a single thing except those three hours since I got the game free from someone who pre-ordered Infinite off Steam.

Baron Von Pigeon fucked around with this message at May 9, 2013 around 22:43

twosideddice
Jan 7, 2009

I'm glad other people didn't like Halo that much too, makes me feel like less of a dick.

Another one I just don't get is GTA since it went 3D. the first two I enjoyed rampaging around the cities and a little bit of death match with friends, that was a riot. Somehow the fun didn't translate so well into 3d. Personally I think it started taking itself a bit too seriously. Thankfully Saints Row is there to fill the over the top carnage I need in my life.

Also I agree with Final Fantasy and Metal Gear being totally over rated.

Febreeze
Oct 24, 2011

I turn my gaze out upon the field and forever burned into my eyes is a sorry pageant of spectacular failure

I went out and bought Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time because everyone was raving about and I just...didn't see the fuss. it was pretty, the main character was interesting, the environments were beautiful...but that was it. It was just "Go into new area, do acrobatic poo poo, kill repetitive enemies, repeat for the entire game". Every enemy could be taken down in one of two ways (Vault over them or Vault off the wall) and it just became a repetitive chore. All the other attacks and stuff weren't that much fun to use because they felt harder to pull off successfully. It wasn't bad, but I didn't think it deserved all these game of the year nods.

belt
May 12, 2001

The game is Ico for me. To me the game has always felt clunky and boring. The combat is stale and repetitive, the platforming elements just seemed very dull. I play the game and on some level I can see why it got the acclaim it did but at the same time don't understand why a lot of people to this day idolize this game.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009

Maybe I got time to figure out how to de-spirit a toaster.

I tried to like Psychonauts, but there's only so many times you want to attempt the same loving jump and/or have to go online to look up the fact that you even have an inventory.

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

Metroid Prime is BORING

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

DrBouvenstein posted:

I guess it's not supposed to be serious?

It's not.
Hideo Kojima is a huge cinema buff who has admitted that he doesn't consider video games to be real art. Like most pretentious film directors (or wannabes, in his case), he despises the concept of direct sequels, but ever since the original MGS made a fuckton of money and the series is simply now a license to print money, he's been forced to push out sequel after sequel despite saying that every new release is going to be the last in the series and that all he wants to do is retire and work on his indie film projects.

Thus the absurdities and running gags in the series are simply there to juxtapose the dramatic moments so that nobody takes anything too seriously while giving Kojima an outlet to vent his frustrations at gamers for filling his wallet and keeping him from doing the things he really wants to do.

On the other hand, he's a very, very strange man and maybe the whole "I just wanna retire" spiel is yet another one of his mindfucks that he loves to pull on gamers

Shiki Dan fucked around with this message at May 9, 2013 around 23:16

Cream-of-Plenty
Apr 21, 2010

ElectricBlizzard posted:

Yeah this.

The setting and atmosphere was all great but halfway through the game i realized i just wasn't actually having fun.
Gunplay, movement both felt weird and the stupid hacking minigame that comes up roughly every 5 minutes...

The big daddys looked cool but just weren't fun to fight against at all.
Near the end i was constantly running out of ammo until you find that your wrench actually is able to be one of the most powerful weapons but by then i was in "let's just get this over with"-mode.
The lame jump scares at the start, press x for evil y for good, and the bad ending where out of nowhere you happen to find a submarine with a nuclear bomb on it because you killed the little sisters.
It just didn't feel like the amazing game people claimed it to be.

I did decide to give bioshock 2 a go which i found to be a lot more enjoyable and engaging (but screw whoever thought the drill needed rapid fuel consumption)

I don't understand why Bioshock had such a lauded plot--especially the whole "good or evil" thing. It felt like the only people who would get torn up over whether or not to kill those ghoulish little children would be the same people who got angry watching wrestling or something. It was just so superficial, hamfisted, and dumb.

Shiki Dan
Oct 27, 2010

If ya can move ya toes ya back's fine

Umbilical Lotus posted:

So, I like RPGs. Quite a lot. But I never got the Dragon Quest thing. At every generation, the games just seem poorly-conceived, badly put-together and hideously ugly compared to everything else on the market. The ugliness is what strikes me the most - everything about the visuals seems almost aggressively average, from the standardized color palettes to the new-age Dragonball Z artwork. The storyline is inevitably spread-out and disappointing when I do uncover it, and grind itself is not enjoyable gameplay. Every time one comes out, half the world gets paralyzed with adoration while I have a couple other RPGs I could be playing instead. So I do. Oh well.

Assuming you don't just dislike JRPGs (a fair enough position), everything about the Dragon Quest can be explained in two concepts:

1) Tradition. Specifically, being a cultural icon in Japan, a society that places an enormous amount of value on tradition.

2) "It's not the destination, but the journey".

Personally I thought Dragon Quest VIII was a lovely game, but if you're not a fan of Akira Toriyama's artstyle (another fair enough position) there's really no way of seeing it.

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Pick posted:

I tried to like Psychonauts, but there's only so many times you want to attempt the same loving jump and/or have to go online to look up the fact that you even have an inventory.

Same here. I tried to like it, I really did and to be honest the idea was interesting and the voice acting was great, but I just couldn't get past the platforming controls and puzzles requiring items. Geting up to that guy's secret lab and realizing that I still had 90% of the game to go with the same controls destroyed my will to proceed.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

Deus Ex is so offensively ugly and jerky to play that I just can't.

Eggn0g
Jun 27, 2008

belt posted:

The game is Ico for me. To me the game has always felt clunky and boring. The combat is stale and repetitive, the platforming elements just seemed very dull. I play the game and on some level I can see why it got the acclaim it did but at the same time don't understand why a lot of people to this day idolize this game.

Seconded, I just don't see why people like it so much. Also the girl you have to escort is annoyingly useless, although maybe that's the games way of making you care for her? It doesn't work, whatever they where trying to do there.

Another thing I don't get is WoW-like combat in MMOs. How is managing 2-3 skillbars worth of abilities fun instead of frustrating? I'd rather be concentrating on the actual battle I'm fighting instead of always looking at the UI.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

We have the dimension of an empire.

C-Euro posted:

It's a game with a magnificently rich world and story that you can actually explore via gameplay and without spending 10 minutes (or 40 when you look at some games' intros nowadays) of an NPC giving a massive oral infodump. It's vague enough to make you want to explore and search for clues and take your own conclusions about the game, making it much richer than any other game i've ever seen.

The combat itself is amazing, with the need for timed dodges, parries and blocks and where a few mistakes cost your life. The game doesn't need to explain nothing to you ,simple awareness of your surroundings is enough to survive all traps.

And again, it gives you a compelling story without saying much. The story of Artorias and Sif, the story of Gwyn, you don't get boring cutscenes where an NPC tells you stuff, you search for yourself and realize what the world is and your part in it.

Minecraft is a dreadfully boring game and i don't understand how it's so popular. Any MMO fits the bill too, more the WoW-types than the games like Guild Wars, that one i like.

«29 »