Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«51 »
apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OjTtkX6qWgw

New patch! See what changed by clicking this link.
It's out now! Go buy it on Steam or the Humble Store!
Demo available here!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HLD8VzhhDjQ

The Heck Is This?
Rogue Legacy is a side-scrolling dungeon crawler type game from Cellar Door Games. A castle is procedurally generated for you to explore, kill monsters, and eventually (probably) die in. Unlike many other roguelike styled games, death does not mean your progress was for naught. Every time you die, you will get to play as your heir who will have inherited stats, items, and maybe some mutations. This is where a lot of the struggle with traditional roguelikes is alleviated. Each death is progress.

How Does it Play?
Gameplay is not entirely unlike games like Spelunky and the metroidvania style Castlevanias. There are multiple playable classes such as Barbarians, Assassins and Mages that have unique strengths and weaknesses. You jump and fight your way through a randomly generated area while getting gold and items. Gold can be spent to upgrade your keep, which serves as a skill tree. The keep is persistent with each new character you play, so you'll only start from square one once. Gold can also be used to buy upgraded armor and weapons, further strengthening yourself against the monsters. Here's the most interesting part: when you die, your next character will inherit certain traits from their predecessor, but potentially gain a mutation as well. Mutations can functionally alter certain aspects of gameplay. A color blind heir would make the game be in grayscale. A successor with irritable bowel syndrome would fart a lot. It's a bit silly, but keeps the game from getting stale.

Availability
The PC version is available now on Humble Store and Steam. Check this link for all the options. Mac and Linux versions are in the works, but will be out at a later date.

I'm Still Not Convinced
Rock Paper Shotgun has a really awesome write-up on the game in its current state right here. Recommended reading for sure, if you're still on the fence.

Rock Paper Shotgun posted:

I feel itís safe to say that if Rogue Legacy isnít a huge success, then there is no justice left in the universe. Iíve played less than a quarter of what the game will eventually offer, bleeding it dry of its treats and secrets, and yet I keep playing. It has the compulsivity, it has twenty buckets of unlockables, and perhaps most importantly, the platform game inside it all is great fun to play.
Also check out 20 minutes of gameplay footage: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Ih2hzvdTxU The guy does a good job of explaining the game.

Screenshots

Tips 'n' Tricks
Fair warning, this section will have spoilers. View at your own discretion.

Djarum posted:

So I just finished my first play through. The ending and the final boss are pretty interesting.

Some bits of advice to give. First forget everything you knew from the demo. I learned quickly that it uses what you took for granted or learned from the demo against you. Next get the Lich class ASAFP, couple that with some Blood armor or Vampire Runes are you are basically invincible for the most part. After you get Lich focus on getting the lowered castle fee. Once you have both of those you can effectively farm a lot of the castle and start focusing on getting upgrades. Personally I went Attack Power>Health>Crit>Mana>Magic Dmg but it is up to you really.

Each of the four regular bosses are easier with certain classes, but if you have enough attack power and health any of them can kill them. The slime boss is a WHORE!

Don't worry about being completely maxed out before you go to the final boss. After you beat him you get New Game+ which is WAY harder but everyone drops crazy amounts of gold. You will max out what you have left in the tree very quickly there.

Here's a big ol' Pastebin with tons of info regarding pretty much everything. Thanks to CJacobs!

apophenium fucked around with this message at Dec 18, 2013 around 02:08

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Wow I love Splunky and this looks to be just as fun.

The whole heir thing is pretty cool.

Broken Cog
Dec 28, 2009

I've been looking for a game like this, and it looks like it's well executed as well.

Definitely picking this up.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

Yeah, that RPS article got me to buy almost instantly. That site is bad for my wallet.

Jaroslav
Dec 31, 2007

God I fucking love Diablo 3 gold, it even paid for this shitty title

Do you get to play a beta version if you pre-order it or do i have to wait like a (un)patient kid at christmas?

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

No EXP received.

apophenium posted:

How Does it Play?
Gameplay is not entirely unlike games like Spelunky and the metroidvania style Castlevanias.

Oh, so it's like my favorite things ever? I'm sold.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

Jaroslav posted:

Do you get to play a beta version if you pre-order it or do i have to wait like a (un)patient kid at christmas?

No beta version as of yet. From what I've read they're really hoping to be greenlit on Steam before doing the official release. If they somehow get denied in the Greenlight process they will probably release the game outright. Pre-ordering gets you a DRM free version of the game as well as a Steam key when they're available. I'm not 100% but I think the developers get more of the money that way too.

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

So how long does greenlighting a game take?

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Didn't even finish OP, already purchased game. Didn't need to sleep ever again anyways.

epmode
Feb 11, 2008

DrManiac posted:

I don't even think Valve understands Greenlight so there's really no way to know.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

https://twitter.com/CellarDoorGames...927550106001409

Looks like the Greenlight campaign is going well. They're in the top 30 now, according to this tweet. Other messages from there seem to indicate the game will be done in another month or two.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Precisely.

DrManiac posted:

I think they've been releasing the voted games in batches of 10/15, and then letting through games that they're personally interested in having on Steam. If Rogue Legacy can get in the top 10 before the next Greenlight batch, they'll probably be fine. No idea when that is though.

Harlock
Jan 15, 2006

Tap "A" to drink!!!

I'm a sucker for games with genealogy and creating your own character lineages.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

https://twitter.com/CellarDoorGames...780571122900993

Looks like they've put a Windows demo up for people who pre-ordered!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

They have, and it's really good.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

The Muffinlord posted:

They have, and it's really good.

Woo, yeah it is. Well, I know what I'm doing for the rest of the day.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

It's really tough, though - I'm at a point where anything less than 520 gold I can't even buy a menial upgrade with. Also, it crashes every time you pick up part 5 of the unknown soldier's journal.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

The Muffinlord posted:

It's really tough, though - I'm at a point where anything less than 520 gold I can't even buy a menial upgrade with. Also, it crashes every time you pick up part 5 of the unknown soldier's journal.

Haha, I just had this happen. I've found that the Barbarians and Paladins are pretty good for getting through a lot of rooms. I've yet to attempt the boss, but I can usually end up with 1000+ gold after a decent run. I'd like to try to get better with the Mage class, but the spells don't seem very strong, barring the flame wheel one.

Also, it sounds like they're doing the pre-order demo so they can iron out the bugs for a public demo in the coming weeks.

apophenium fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 17:14

Flashing Twelve
Mar 20, 2007

Fun game. I'm liking the fairy chests idea, and the special rooms seem interesting and varied. I ran into one that was basically "I'll take half your money and let you open one of four chests, which might have nothing or might have something really good in it" (I ended up making my money back). I agree with RPS, I'm sure the full version will be incredible.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

I was ragging on the Archmage earlier, but naturally they were the first class I was able to beat the boss with. Flame wheel can usually kill things in one hit so it recoups its mana cost more often than not. Now I'm more excited than ever for the full version, but there's still things I wanna unlock in the demo!

Smart Car
Mar 31, 2011

Just beat the demo too.

Barbarian KingQueen with the Blade Wall spell was really good for the boss too, hit three times per cast for ~70 damage per hit, even with the tiny MP pool a Barbarian has that's a huge amount of damage. Game is as fun as it looked from videos too, really looking forward to the full release now.

E: Also some of the rare champion or miniboss or whatever variant of regular enemies are tough too. I did get a blueprint for a helm with a gold found bonus (and ridiculous weight and a reduction to your health and MP) for beating the spear knight miniboss though.

Smart Car fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 18:44

Kuso Meriken
Jun 30, 2007

It appears Cellar Door's website isn't working right now, could it be overloaded with jerks like me who want in on this?

Edit, nevermind google messing with me.

Kuso Meriken fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 19:10

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

I didn't poo poo my pants!

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

The mage isn't great, but once you upgrade to Archmage, you can carry around three spells. If you get, say, daggers, fire wheel, and time stop, you'll be drat near unstoppable.

Lavastine
Jul 15, 2007

This game is super good. I hope it gets ported to Vita/3ds eventually. Would love to play it on the go. Also I've found like 6 secret areas so far that are only accessible with dwarfism, but nothing that requires any of the other traits which seems odd.

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

Lavastine posted:

This game is super good. I hope it gets ported to Vita/3ds eventually. Would love to play it on the go. Also I've found like 6 secret areas so far that are only accessible with dwarfism, but nothing that requires any of the other traits which seems odd.

I was able to squeeze into some of the secret areas with the dash rune, not sure if that's intended though.

Elswyyr
Mar 4, 2009

The site seems to be down. Anyone got a direct link the the Humble Store widget? (Like this: http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/vessel)

Ah Pook
Aug 23, 2003

Elswyyr posted:

The site seems to be down. Anyone got a direct link the the Humble Store widget? (Like this: http://www.humblebundle.com/store/product/vessel)

Site's back up, for now at least.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

AG: Flyyyyyyyy!

Does anyone know if progress from the demo(s) can be carried over to the full game? If not, then I do not want to burn myself out of it. I really like what they got going here. And I love that female mages have beards.

Sucks, but I kind of figured that.
VVVVVV

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 22:43

apophenium
Apr 13, 2009

I am a real boy.

Unlucky7 posted:

Does anyone know if progress from the demo(s) can be carried over to the full game? If not, then I do not want to burn myself out of it. I really like what they got going here. And I love that female mages have beards.

Devs said over twitter they don't think they'd be able to do that, sadly.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

I disagree!

The Muffinlord posted:

The mage isn't great, but once you upgrade to Archmage, you can carry around three spells. If you get, say, daggers, fire wheel, and time stop, you'll be drat near unstoppable.

In a interview with the devs during a charity stream they said that he's unbalanced as gently caress.

Originally the mage was underpowered and weak and his gimmick wasn't that good, but now they made him too good and they're trying to find a sweet spot with him vv

RBA Starblade
Apr 27, 2008

Going Home.

Ah Pook posted:

Site's back up, for now at least.

I wanted to go buy it, but it seems down again, based on the link in the OP. Roguelike Metroidvania sounds amazing.

Gyoru
Jul 13, 2004

From the Google Cache: http://www.humblebundle.com/store/p...ew=EXn3mzwCJtTl

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

In a interview with the devs during a charity stream they said that he's unbalanced as gently caress.

Originally the mage was underpowered and weak and his gimmick wasn't that good, but now they made him too good and they're trying to find a sweet spot with him vv

Well, I think the piddly health bar sort of makes up for it. Unless you stack a ton of vampiric runes.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Well, I've beat the demo as effectively as you can. Each run through the castle nets 1200-1500 gold which is enough to buy 1 upgrade at the level they're at.

As far as the demo goes if this is the first level its fantastic. I hope the level doesn't cap at 100 because I was already halfway there by the time I stopped playing. I can pretty much promise I will play this game for 50+ hours and buy any new level DLC they make.

FuzzySlippers
Feb 6, 2009

I was in communication with the developer and if you're crashing make sure you don't set the res higher than 1080p. Anything higher causes crashes and the final version will restrict the res.

Internet Friend
Jan 1, 2001

FuzzySlippers posted:

I was in communication with the developer and if you're crashing make sure you don't set the res higher than 1080p. Anything higher causes crashes and the final version will restrict the res.

I hope that's a case of miscommunication because if their solution to "PC game doesn't work at PC monitor resolutions" is "don't let them do that" that is really embarrassing.

Social Animal
Nov 1, 2005

I don't know about cards, but, uh, I think these four-fives beat a full house.

This game combines my favorite genre with my favorite series. Only thing that slightly irks me is that it has the potential to end up being pretty grindy. Still worth the .

Momboy
Jul 2, 2003

But what if I don't want to ride the snake?

As it turns out, heroes with dwarfism can dash past Charon. Maybe now I'll be able to afford these upgrades if I can get a bunch of dwarves in a row.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Holy crap. This is almost everything I wanted out of a 2d Castleroid. I guess I would like to see more distinction between the classes, but holy crap. Holy crap!

Does anyone know how long the Greenlight process is and when I should expect to actually play this thing. Right now I am debating whether to just fart around with the pre-order demo, or wait for the release so I can dive in and smother my children with permadeaths.

«51 »