Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I was raised as a Buddhist too, but by western convert parents who were students of Chogyam Trungpa Rimpoche. I didn't start practicing regularly until a year ago (I turn 30 this year) but always felt as though being raised Buddhist strongly shaped who I am today. Because my parents are Vajrayana students and were pretty dedicated when I was a kid, I saw them doing a lot of the more esoteric practices but they couldn't really talk to me about most of them, beyond "we're doing some visualizations".

I did learn to sit from an early age and having a solid foundation in basic sitting practice I think has really helped me with some of the more subtle techniques that my teacher has me working on at the moment. I can't imagine Buddhism not being part f my every day life- even when I wasn't sitting every day my perspective always seemed pretty different to other people because of the way I was raised.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Quantumfate posted:

This is such good advice and warms the cockles of my heart, same with plus infinity. This is the kind of stuff that's good to see. Plus Infinity, do you still practice? Also, sorry shnooks, you mentioned wanting to be in the OP, but all you said about what you practiced was that you were doing vipassana.

Yep, I sit every morning and am part of a small Shambhala sangha. I'm taking it slow as my parents are pretty hardcore (my mother has been on semi retreat alone on the side of a Welsh mountain for 10 years) and I'm not sure that's the life for me. But I am enjoying daily practice and as it was just said, Buddhism isn't going anywhere and it's not a race to acquire all knowledge immediately. I think it's best to figure out where it fits for me personally and go from there. My boyfriend (he1ixx) has been supportive and enthusiastic and has been enjoying reading about this more than me, so he helps too! We've just been learning some new meditation techniques from our teacher that have totally changed my assumptions and experience with meditation which is also pretty great.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Incarnate Dao posted:

Infinity I hope you don't mind me chiming in:

The reason this is the case is because Vajrayana Buddhism practices esoteric ritual. That means that unless you have been initiated into the tradition and into that particular technique/meditation by a master you cannot be taught it. So his parents had been initiated into the practice so they could do it, but since he was not his parents were not allowed to reveal the secrets. Part of the reason for this is that it is believed that if one is exposed to secret practices before they are ready the practices will either be harmful or unhelpful. The system through which the initiate passes is meant to guide the initiate in a way that will lead to awakening.

Yep, this is correct, except I'm a woman :)

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Tonsured posted:

Is there a palpable difference, in your experience, between meditating in isolation versus a group/community setting.

Yes! Absolutely! Most of the really great experiences that I've had with meditation have been during day-long or extended sessions with a group. It gets me "in the zone" a lot more easily and is very motivating.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

The-Mole posted:

Using sanskrit terms for stuff when anyone who is not, uh, unusually familiar with sanskrit is going to feel confused or left out.

I agree with you and I grew up with Buddhism! I don't know what any of the Sanskrit words are and you don't NEED to know them all to have a fulfilling practice. Some people love getting academic about Buddhism - it lends itself very well to that. My dad was one of those people. But it is also possible to be very simple about it. I think this thread probably has room for those who like to debate in a more scholarly way while also being there for those of us who are not! At least I hope so!

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

I was raised as a Shambhala buddhist; both my parents were students of Trungpa's. Chogyam Trungpa Rimpoche is dead- his son is now the head of Shambhala. He is more traditionally Tibetan and less crazy-wisdom than his dad. Some of that is good, some is bad, depending on your outlook. Shambhala in general seems a lot more tame than it was in the 70's (as everything is, for the most part).

I have never gotten any cult vibes (or pressure to join) from any Shambhala person I have ever met (which has been a lot). For reference, I'm an aging punk anarchist type, so I'm pretty critical of crazy woo-woo stuff. There are certainly crazy people in Shambhala, as in any Western Buddhist group really, so your milage may vary depending on where you live. It's also Vajrayana and Tibetan Buddhism, so there is certainly some pretty out-there stuff once you stick around for a while, but that's all part of the practice/ not really real/ visualizations/ etc. I can guarantee you though, that if you go to a Shambhala group you can get basic, no-pressure, non-religious meditation instruction and decide how you feel from there.

Edit to say that I'm currently part of the Shambhala group near me, and while I think there is some bureaucratic nonsense going on with the international group, it's all the same kind of bureaucratic nonsense you get with any large organization that relies on donations only and has centers all over the world. The people in my group are really lovely, the senior teacher is sharp and intellectual and no-nonsense and incredibly logical, and I've gotten a lot out of being part of the community.

Plus_Infinity fucked around with this message at 21:16 on Jun 28, 2013

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Count Freebasie posted:

Just attended my first sangha at a Tibetan center, and I have to say, it was pretty interesting. The Lama Losang Samten, Rinpoche who is the head of the center is away on retreat in Tibet, so a student/teacher was leading the sangha (he's been practicing 37 years and started out Zen).

It sure was a night and day experience from the Soto/Rinzai Zen center where I attended Sangha. There were various readings and discussions, and I didn't expect the teacher to actually use the word "poo poo" during teaching, but he was making it very accessible to the layperson. A lot of it was taking various thoughts from sutras and, I really hate to say it like this, "dumbing it down" for some of the people. All of them were very nice, but some were not what I would call "the brightest bulbs."

It was so much more informal than the Zen center, and although it felt less "official/traditional" than I would have thought, they were a very friendly group of people. It seemed to a degree less "serious," but there was a really good vibe there. They invited me to attend a Green Tara Puja on Thursday night, and if I can, I may attend that.

It sure was interesting discussing how lucky we are to be born as humans rather than "hungry ghosts" or being in the "god realm," where as he said, eventually after eons, you begin to slowly decay and end up in the Hungry Ghost Realm. That took me by surprise, and they are definitely wild concepts, but again, good vibes and I left with a good feeling.

It was pretty funny; when I walked in, they asked my experience and I told them it was only in a Zen setting. They all started asking me questions about it like it was the most fascinating and foreign thing, and I was far from qualified to answer most of them, although I did answer the ones that I could. It was interesting as everyone was dressed in dresses or relatively colorful attire (one said he was in the colors of Medicine Buddha), and I roll in wearing all black, which the attendees there didn't realize was the apropos for Zen sangha.

I guess I'm rambling at this point, but it was a good experience and I left feeling pretty stoked. That is all.

This wasn't in PA was it? I went to a chenrezig retreat yesterday with that group but left at lunch. It was my first time there too. They were nice but I think I like the shambhala sangha more.

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Count Freebasie posted:

Yup; Philly on Spring Garden.

Never been to the Shambhala.

Oh cool! I live out in Delaware county so I don't get into the city much. They had a one day retreat on Saturday ten minutes from my house so I went to that.

I don't really go to the Philadelphia shambhala center- we have a little shambhala group in West Chester which just started out this year. The teacher we have, Jay Lippman, has been a student of Tibetan Buddhism for almost 40 years and was actually the teacher of Jeff, the main guy at Chenrezig in Philly. He is sooo awesome. Totally no nonsense and logical and down to earth and he knows so much. If you have a car and feel like coming out to West Chester some time, you are always welcome. It may be a good balance for you between zen and the chenrezig guys. PM me if you're interested.

I've heard mixed things about the Philly shambhala center. Some people i know loooove it and some aren't big fans of some of the teachers there. I don't really have any first hand knowledge but you may want to check it out too. Shambhala in general is pretty laid back but there is an actual curriculum unlike the chenrezig people and no outright deity worship or woo-woo. I feel like shambhala personally hits a good balance for me between strict and hippy dippy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plus_Infinity
Apr 12, 2011

Razage posted:

I didn't mean to say that I don't enjoy meditation because I really do and I am seeing that I'm becoming a much more kind and gentler person because of it. I plan on doing as you guys suggest and keep on returning my attention in meditation.

The place I found didn't list it as any kind of special shambahla so I'm not sure. Why would it be weird? Haha. There's also a zen sitting group I want to check out too and those guys seem a lot more structured they do readings and stuff. I don't even know what that means!

He meant which city I think!

It won't be too weird, don't worry. Some people in this thread have gone to Shambhala centers and met some really hippy dippy people who were into crystal healing and the like, but that is a result of Shambhala being open to anyone who's curious and not that it's actually teaching that kind of stuff. It's also going to be in pretty much any Buddhist group in some parts of the country.

I have been in Shambhala my whole life and gone to lots of different Shambhala centers and everyone I've personally met has been wonderful.