Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Lurked the last thread for a bit. :toot: I'm ethnically Vietnamese and can offer perspective on Mahayana Buddhism as practiced by non-converts I suppose, although I'm not really familiar with any non-Vietnamese names for anything.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

A while ago, I offered to post in this thread about the perspective of someone raised Buddhist by parents from Asia, but then I forgot about the thread until ashgrommies PMed me. And then I forgot about the PM. :downs:

Quantumfate posted:

Do you still engage in practise? When you grew up, how much "high" buddhism did you encounter vs just following lay rituals?
I have a weird relationship with Buddhism; I'm not sure I'd call myself Buddhist because I've never taken refuge. I still go to temple on the major holidays: Buddha's birthday, Bodhi day, the Lunar New Year, mid-autumn festival, etc., and I do the chanting in Sino-Vietnamese which I don't think anyone my age actually understands and some of what I guess you'd call lay rituals, like cleansing the Buddha at the end of mass (?) and giving incense to your preferred bodhisattvas. The temple that I go to is very much a community center as well as a religious one; hell, the LNY isn't Buddhist in origin at all. Vietnamese Buddhism is very syncretic. There are some odd things that I've picked up, like apparently you're supposed to eat vegan at least twice a month? Not sure that Buddha cared about details like that. :shrug: And now that I'm rambling, I do remember my mom telling me it was better to be Buddhist than Catholic because we didn't have to go to temple every week. :allears:

One thing that I've noticed reading through this thread is that you guys talk about mediation a lot. I guess that's one of the appeals coming from an outside tradition? I don't meditate and I don't know any layperson that meditates. :v: Do you guys interact often with (for lack of a better phrase) immigrant Buddhists? What's the ethnic make-up like of converts in your area?

You can ask me anything and I'll try to sift through the cobwebs in my brain. I also have stories about vegan Buddhist restaurants and unfinished temples to share if you guys want as well. :)

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Knockknees posted:

How would someone who was not a monk who meditated be perceived in that community? Or would they not really care?
People would probably think they were really hardcore and devout; so respect, maybe a sense of "oh, they think they're too good to hang with the rest of us" but I get the sense that people that talk about their private practice would be seen as bragging. It reminds me of the attitude my parents had towards one of my high school teachers. He was a vegan and their respect for him immediately shot up once I told them that. :v:

Paramemetic posted:

I am thrilled to hear from someone who is culturally Buddhist but not from Tibet, and am looking forward to more information on how it looks to the laity elsewhere in Asia.

ObamaCaresHugSquad posted:

This is interesting actually. I was mostly talking about Buddhism earlier in a pragmatic sense for those who want to derive some effect or benefit from it, as many others have as well. I am also aware of the cultural aspect of Buddhism, having traveled all around Asia as an American used to seeing it from a limited perspective. Over there I saw how it's mostly just a part of life rather than some institutionalized "self-help" program like it's almost seen in the US. It's just the culture there (Thailand, Cambodia, and Sri Lanka I mean; I haven't been to Burma or Vietnam). So I talk about meditation because that's the form in which the pragmatic practice of Buddhism takes. But I do think there is plenty of a place for your experience in this thread, seeing as it is titled "Ask us about Buddhism" and not "Ask us about meditation". I think it would be nice for people to hear more about your cultural background and experience.
The sense I get from Western converts (not anyone in this thread particularly) is that Buddhism is treated as a means to an end, kind of, like you say, a "self-help" program. There's a lot of emphasis on mediation and discussion about karma and what does rebirth really mean. Going to temple in Asia and in immigrant communities here in the West is kind of like getting baptized. You do it because you're supposed to, duh. :v:

Here are a couple of photos from when I stopped by my temple's vegan restaurant a while back. I'll try to remember to take more pictures next time I go.

Bun bo hue by autumncomet, on Flickr

Buddha by autumncomet, on Flickr
I can't speak for other Buddhist Asian communities in the US, but there's this trend I guess of Buddhist temples being founded and relying on community donations to get things like the parking lot finished. I swear when I was younger I was dragged along to at least five or six different temple openings throughout the Westminster, CA and Houston area. The monks and nuns at my temple are savvy and opened up a combo restaurant-bookstore-giftshop and hang around the local supermarkets to get donations.

Old posters. I think you'll know what these are!

14 precepts by autumncomet, on Flickr

Realms by autumncomet, on Flickr
My camera work is so bad. :negative:

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Question for the converts: how did you guys ultimately decide on what school of Buddhism you would follow? And how large are your classes with your instructor?

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

Guildencrantz posted:

Not to interrupt the derail, but I've got an outsider question that I don't think has been asked before:

The discussion about Tibetan debate made me wonder about something. This is less about doctrine and more about the social/organizational aspect of religion. What are the relations between the different traditions like, in general? In this thread it seems like you guys are super respectful of each other's, um, schools if they're viewed as legitimate, but I realize the thread isn't representative. Especially since it's full of Western converts. In practice, what would theological/doctrinal disputes look like between, say, Theravada and Zen adherents, and is that even a routine thing that happens?
I'm not a convert! There's a kind of simmering feud between various Vietnamese-language Buddhist temples here in Houston, mostly over retention (most of my peers tend to be agnostic and only show up to temple during a holiday; so am I :v:) rather than any major religious or philosophical differences. In general, and keep in mind my perspective, I don't think laypeople know or care but there's definitely something weird going on.

I do sense a divide in the West between Western converts (who are overwhelmingly white) and the descendants of refugees and immigrants from Asia. Some of it is just differences in practice (like meditation; you guys meditate a lot) or schools (I've noticed that Westerners tend to be drawn to either Tibetan or Zen). At first you go "oh cool, more Buddhists" and then some of them pull out anti-vax and anti-psychiatric medicine poo poo and :ughh:. Vaccinate your kids.

Paramemetic posted:

Also to clarify, the idea of Hinayana/Theravada being a car that will get one person to the destination, Mahayana being like a bus, that can get many people to the destination, and Vajrayana being like a plane, that can get many people there much more quickly, but is much more dangerous and has the chance of spectacular failure, comes from a teaching by my Lama. In some kind of Zen like manner, someone then asked him how many people can fit on the Vajra airplane, and he replied "infinite" whilst waving his hand to dismiss further laboring the metaphor.
Vajrayana is Tibetan, right? Do you mind elaborating on why it's more "dangerous"?

Also for Bodhi Day I won a calendar in a raffle. :effort: