Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

It's probably weird to say this after reposting a big old wall of text about the guy, but I think I'm done with Bane now. I've fallen into the trap before of picking the "interesting but not very good grappler" character early in other games' lives and I think I gotta stop.

Besides, Superman has the advantage of being fun and also being good.

More bane for me :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Only characters with "man" in their name are allowed to be top tier in this game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Any PSN goons wanna 1v1?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
A friend told me all normal throws are 11 frames startup. Sounds right to me.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

But... doesn't it net you a win if your opponent disconnects? Or least the quiter a loss? That was gorgeous.

You both get losses. I think it's a bug.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I know that the frame data in the move lists is supposed to be bugged or wrong to some extent, but is there anywhere to find out exactly what is incorrect? Is it all off by x amount of frames or just certain things or ???

Some(all?) multi-hit moves have their frame data based on the first hit, not the last. Which causes some pretty confusing things.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah the game lets you cancel jumpins into ground attacks. This lets you get around the weird system that lets the opponent block any time you go to neutral (i.e. if you link a jumpin into a ground move, you are going to neutral in between so it wouldn't combo.)

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Yeah it doesn't make sense to me but it works. The links not working is weird too, I tried that early on. I wonder if its intentional? Seems like you could do some really weird combos if it wasn't I guess, I'm assuming cutting off hitstun when you go to neutral was their way of preventing infinites.

A ton of characters could straight-up infinite with just cr.1 over and over if the game let you do links. I'm sure it's intentional but it's really weird when you're used to the way every other fighting game works.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I think a cool Bane change would be to give his f+2 and f+2,d normals armor in all levels of venom. That might be way too broken though, since you can use dash cancelling to basically make those like a focus attack.

I don't think bane's bad though. You have to work to get in but his mixups are so dangerous once you do.

BTW I wanted to ask SN64 or any other Bane guys, do you ever mess with comboing into sweep? You can land it after b+2,3 and there are probably more damaging combos that go into it. Off a sweep you get a free crossup since they can't ground tech, or any of a myriad of high/low/throw mixups. Seems like a good option midscreen where backdashes can counter a lot of your oki.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Bane's oki game doesn't work on good players because... they know how to reversal? Not sure how that's different from any other character. Baiting reversals is a fact of life in every fighting game.

As for having no options against projectiles, walking and dashing are pretty useful things to do. Not every character needs a move designed specifically for negating projectiles. The damage you take from chip and bad guesses is your payment in return for the reward of difficult to escape mixups.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's possible Bane is the worst character (haven't played Lobo so not sure about him), but he's not much worse than the rest of the mid tiers.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

I like how Tom Brady gets a lot of flak for being, well, Tom Brady.

The moment his Tier list comes out though? Everyone pays attention.

He's a shitlord but (for now) he's one of the most knowledgeable people out there for Injustice.

Plus REO.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Tier lists are one of the many poisons the fighting game community at large likes to gorge itself on. I'm just glad this game's well-made enough that the power gap is obviously unintended and might even be patched out.

...You think the gap in tiers is INTENTIONAL in some games?

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Shadow Ninja 64 posted:

Arturo Sanchez is back at the online player match grind: http://www.twitch.tv/nycfurby

GGs dude. I wish you would stop switching characters though, I just wanna learn the superman matchup >:I

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Soonmot posted:

Scene transitions do less damage when part of a combo?

I assume they scale like everything else.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

I just beat the second ranked guy on PSN NA. Guess that technically makes -me- the second ranked player on PSN NA, right?

Nah bro it means you're first.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
SN64, you ever try ticking with bane's cr.2 xx command throw? If they block they get thrown, if it hits the throw whiffs but you have time to meaty them after. Seems pretty good.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Fixit posted:

What's the correct way of dealing with Ares' teleport shenanigans? It seems like he has a mixup afterwards with an unblockable, low or throw. I was getting worked by a dude abusing this lastnight, and when I get home I'd like to hit up the training room to work on a counter.

Do you mean he's just teleporting and then attacking you? His teleport has recovery, just wait for him to do it and then hit him.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Mr Fixit posted:

So if you anticipate it, you should be able to punish? I was trying like hell with Grundy, must have been hitting the wrong buttons. He was using rear TP, and there seemed to be some weirdness in the way my character would turn around. Like it didn't auto correct or if it did there was a delay.

Try recording the AI doing it in training, and attempting to punish. If you're not already doing an attack when he teleports you should be able to punish pretty easily.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Are the names backwards right now? I've only ever seen Jailhouse play Cyborg.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Unless they replace his trait with a suicide button, Deathstroke's not in any danger of becoming unviable.

He already has that though.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
It's got this system called throws, pretty good for punishing turtling.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dosvidanya posted:

No. Deathstroke's spin was like a self tech trap where if you managed to land a hit with it, pushing a button afterward meant you were going to eat something. The issue wasn't never being hit, or not being able to punish it. The problem was there was no reason to use it for DS players.

Even now with the "+4" it'll just make everyone return to that weird neutral state that JMCrofts talked about.

Well there was a reason to use it if you felt like EX-ing it. It's the best reversal he's got.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

PantsBandit posted:

Also, just wanted to comment on how awesome it is that this game is still as relevant as it is. Injustice may or may not be as well-built a fighting game as SF or MvC, but drat have NRS studios come a long way in a short amount of time.

There are a lot of ways a game can be "well-built." In general I think the MvC3 system mechanics are a lot more solid+fun, but the game has a ton of bad decisions too and more dumb stuff than I care to get into. Injustice has super weird system mechanics but at its core I think the game is a ton of fun and has a lot of potential as a competitive game.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

Over on the Bane forums, they've discovered that the Level 3 Venom Cooldown debuff has been tinkered with outside of the patch notes. The "increase damage taken" part of it has been toned down.

Superman's Super:
Pre-patch:82% when hit during L3 cooldown
post-patch : 63% when hit during L3 cooldown

So hey, that's something that the patch notes didn't mention, and is pretty good.

Woah. If that's true then he's gone from taking ~218% damage in lv3 cooldown to ~165%. Pretty huge buff.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

All y'all PSN goons: I'mma be on pretty much all night, so hit me up when you get online for some sweet Batgirl action. (I'm Shnucka, for those of you who haven't added me yet!)

I'll join you around 6 if you're on then.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

PSN goon room is up!

I'll be on in like 40 mins

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Welp, first match in KotH and sure enough my buttons are wrong.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
GGs my goonies, that was fun. Bane is better now!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

AndyElusive posted:

Guys, they're only accidental or incorrect inputs if the move whiffs :ssh:

I get AA grab with bane constantly because this game counts down->downback as a d->b input (fix this pls nrs). Hoo boy the 1 in 100 times the grab actually lands though, I am the biggest badass in the world.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

JackDarko posted:

Yeah i'm reuploading that video, it got totally messed up in the upload process and even cut short. Sorry about that!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2-9ccG7Agg

Here's the Bane vs Catwoman video, totally fixed.

Haha I was just going nuts a lot of parts there. Lv3 trait being usable now is so nice though!

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

I keep watching that video of me v jmcrofts and just keep getting madder at myself for being bad and terrible. I think I'm too invested in this game.

Runback tonight? I wanna do 1v1

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

Oh yes do I ever want a rematch! (or 10)

Won't be on until probably around 9 or 10 EST, though.

That's fine, I'll probably be around then. And I'm getting a capture card in the mail today so I can record our matches if you want to relive your pain some more :twisted:

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Where are you reading any of this? Batman is probably the best or 2nd best character in the game. If you like playing him keep playing him, if you don't then pick someone you like better. Stop worrying about what some random scrubs think.

E: holy crap, looking at your other posts in this thread you're way too neurotic about what character you should play and whether they're too cheap/easy/lovely/imbalanced. Just play characters. It doesn't matter.

Jmcrofts fucked around with this message at 21:58 on May 22, 2013

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

gannyGrabber posted:

Good games! I almost have Bane totally figured out. I think that last set put us at 20-10 in your favor as a lifetime total. I'll catch up one day...

I think I really need to find myself a new controller or something, I threw out a lot of really lovely cat dodges, and when I was jumping over you and trying to cat dash back in I was somehow hitting d2, which was pretty wasteful. It's pretty clear to me that Catwoman v Bane is a very favorable match-up for me, though. I have all the tools to beat you, just need to make better use of them...

And I'm not sure if you noticed, but there were times where if you went into your command grab just as i was starting to wake up, I couldn't back dash out of it, which was both awesome and terrible.

GGs. I couldn't figure out how to punish wakeup slash -_- I tried punishing with stand 1 or stand 2 a few times and couldn't get it to punish, so I just assumed that move was safe. Looking at the frame data, apparently it IS punishable and I was just messing up. You'll hear me complain about it once that video finishes uploading.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
I'm going to bed before this finishes uploading, but once it's done in an hour or two click here if you wanna see gannyGrabber expose me for the fraud I am:

http://youtu.be/7bTeKXIyfDw

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
Whoops apparently you need to verify your account to upload long videos. Fixed it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7bTeKXIyfDw

It's 48 minutes.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Rugpisser posted:

How do you unlock the Rubber ducky hero card item?

Go x number of matches without crouching I think

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Lurdiak posted:

Man, you're serious, aren't you.

No, I don't believe he is.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Dosvidanya posted:

Wait, there's a character who can actually get use out of 2 meters for a bounce cancel? :psyduck:

It's just because his combos are so bad without it.

• Locked thread