Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

quote:

All Quiet on the Martian Front is a 15mm scale sci-fi battle game that plays out the second Martian War and breathes new life into the classic earth invasion tale. Set in WW I era of the twentieth century humanity uses tanks, artillery, and never before seen technology to defend Earth from the Martian invaders. The Martians use advanced war machines, human zombie-like slaves, gas warfare, and worse to eliminate all humanity from the Earth. It is tanks vs. tripods, big guns vs. heat rays, and incredible heroics vs. emotionless eradication across the tattered and entrenched landscape of America.

The Game

This is an interesting looking new 15mm wargame game in development that I have been following and I thought would be a good idea to share as I can’t see a thread for it here.

This is a 15mm wargame based on the “Second Martian War” made by Alien Dungeon which follows on from story of H.G. Well’s “The War of the Worlds” based in 1898. The game starts in WWI America though circa 1910 and the Martians have now invaded a second time but on this attempt they have landed in the new world countries first to gain a foothold on Earth and then launch their war on the first world.

quote:

“President Roosevelt leads the nation against the blood sucking Martians and their incredible machines. Henry Ford works feverishly to produce as many of the new steam powered tanks for the front as possible. J.P. Morgan, Carnegie and Rockefeller work together to make the fearsome new Land Ironclads a reality. The United Kingdom, experienced with anti- Martian war, sends the British Expeditionary Force to help. France and Germany, untouched by any Martian machines yet, gather forces and build armies, but for what purpose?

Black Dust, Heat Rays, tanks upon tanks as well as miles and miles of trenches and traps…they all form the backdrop for Tripods vs. Tanks with lightning guns, Rough Riders on early Harleys, and lots more.

The Scale

The game is 15mm but the models are actually 18mm as this is what 15mm models are nowadays and watching the videos they do look quite large in comparison to say FoW, and the Ironclads and Overseers are meant to be massive.

Examples of the model range so far although bear in mind these are mainly production masters so are not the finished deal:

The scale has been designed so that they will be compatible with HO scale model railway scenery so that battlefields can be put together easily and for not much monies from the already massive range.

As for the developers they have a decent pedigree

Developed by world famous game designers Alessio Cavatore, Ernie Baker, and Rick Priestley (creator of Warhammer and Warhammer 40k)Alessio Cavatore and Rick Priestley have written rules used by more miniature gamers than anyone else in the world.

The Future

As for the future they seem to have grand ideas. If the kickstarter is successful they want to flesh this out to different theatres and introduce other countires as well as the “Venusians” and “Underdwellers”:

quote:

I'll try answering a few things at once. The UK, the US, Canada, and what's left of Australia are "in it together".

The Martians don't line up with anybody. They don't even understand the concept.

The Venusians aren't happy that Mars is going after earth and think they might be next so they are coming too. They will have allies on earth that switch around.

The Germans and French are together. They are up to ...something.

The Under dwellers are looking for food and loot and most likely will align with anyone that can support their ,,,err..needs.

And they have loving forlorn hopes so what more could you wish for:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glow Sticks
Feb 26, 2009

This looks incredible. Although I'm not sure how the humans are supposed to be able to best the martians in a stand-up fight.

Are there going to be rules for the "black fog" and the "red weed" used by the martians?

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Our young men will have to shoot down their young men at the rate of four to one, if we're to keep pace at all.

Glow Sticks posted:

This looks incredible. Although I'm not sure how the humans are supposed to be able to best the martians in a stand-up fight.

Are there going to be rules for the "black fog" and the "red weed" used by the martians?

Well there are tripods with "Black Mist Generators" and "Green Mist Bombs" but I haven't seen anything about the red weed as yet.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

One of the models I’ve been most interested in and I’m most looking forward to seeing is the Land Iron Clad.

The latest Kickstarter update has just released planned sizes of the models and the thing should be 12" x 4" x 7" which is massive especially at 15mm. You can see a template of the planned size on the introduction video here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Eac...=youtu.be&t=42s

The fluff seems well thought out as well:

quote:

The huge Land Ironclad is no mere weapon of war...it is a potent symbol of human ingenuity and American industrial might! These towering vessels were first built in the Norfolk Naval Shipyard in Virginia, utilizing the methods and skills employed in ship construction to produce what many have dubbed 'land battleships'. The popular press have so far been denied access to complete details of the Land Ironclad's armament and defensive systems, but such information as has been revealed speaks of a weapon as superior to the existing steam tanks as those mighty machines are superior to a mere infantryman.

Owing to the use of naval facilities and personnel it became a matter of some controversy whether the new Land Ironclads would fall under the command of the army or navy. As the first machines were built with watertight hulls, the navy considered them to be ships. Sea trials indicated that, though capable of transport by water, lacking a proper keel, the Land Ironclads were unstable in anything but the calmest waters. The first Ironclads were delivered to the US Army and were still officially undergoing land trials when they encountered Tripod Raiders in Western Tennessee.

On that occasion, a flotilla of three Ironclads was about to steam for home, having completed a test of its primary gunnery systems, when it ran into a force of more than a dozen Tripods. The Tripods swept the vessels with their heat rays causing only superficial damage thanks to the dense asbestos plates that shield the Ironclad's metal armor. The Ironclads responded by laying steam as a precautionary defense and engaging the tripods with their 6 inch guns. Four Tripods were destroyed or crippled with the first salvo and the remainder quickly withdrew, leaving the Ironclads very much the victors of the first encounter in this new war of the machines.

Also it seems the game might have a sense of humour as well, can't wait to see the BEF. Emphasis mine.

quote:

NEW YORK TIMES - Saturday 6th June 1914 LATEST DREADNOUGHT ENTERS IMPERIAL SERVICE

The British Expeditionary Force took delivery today of the first batch of 'General Benedict Arnold' Dreadnoughts as these gigantic American Land Ironclads are to be known in British service. Lord Haig of Kabul received the vessels at the official handing-over ceremony at the British army base of Franklin just outside Milwaukee. In service with US and Canadian forces for over a month now, the Land Ironclad (MIL1914) has already proven its worth during engagements against Tripod Raiders in Western Tennessee, where it not only overcame the enemy with its massed firepower, but was seen to be largely resistant to the Martian Heat Ray thanks to its innovative 'steam venting' defense system.

Amongst the many detailed modifications made to meet British operational requirements are provisions for a separate senior and junior officers' mess, space for additional catering staff and servants, interior and exterior tea urns, and a modified cabin to allow plenty of headroom for be-turbaned Sikh crews in Indian service. British officers had requested the installation of stabling, many continuing to pursue their favorite sport of foxhunting at every opportunity; sometimes even during the height of Martian attacks. Sadly, this proved impossible without removing a good portion of the Dreadnought's armament, a modification that was felt too great a compromise even by the British.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

Really like the concept here, problem for me is the value and the pricing they have along with the model size.

I have never been a tabletop wargamer, but I am starting in with Deadzone. For the $150 price, I get four teams and a bunch of extras. For similar value, I can get the battle of memphis, while looks great, just doesn't seem to have the same value. The model size looks like it will require a huge table with scenery to boot. The add-on's look to be at GW pricing like model.

I am still on the fence to back it and maybe this is standard but the pricing is quite off putting.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Mr.Trifecta posted:

Really like the concept here, problem for me is the value and the pricing they have along with the model size.

I have never been a tabletop wargamer, but I am starting in with Deadzone. For the $150 price, I get four teams and a bunch of extras. For similar value, I can get the battle of memphis, while looks great, just doesn't seem to have the same value. The add-on's look to be at GW pricing like model.

I am still on the fence to back it and maybe this is standard but the pricing is quite off putting.

I dunno...the pricing for the tanks after the kickstarter deals are all said and done will be $33 for 3 tanks so that's $11 per tank or £7.16 where I am which compared to say FoW is not extortionate at all. I certainly wouldn't let it put me off a good game.

Mr.Trifecta posted:

The model size looks like it will require a huge table with scenery to boot.

I think they have stated that a 4' by 6' will be standard and for the cost of scenery:

quote:

The models fit very well with HO scale model train structures and accessories. This was done on purpose to make it easy to expand your table top gaming environment in an accessible and reasonably priced way. There are thousands of products in the model railroad industry that will work very well to represent America in 1910.

Glad you like the look of it though I pledged in at "On the Front!" and I'm more than happy at what I'm getting. (Also I now get my name in the rule book apparently so Huzzah to that.)

Loxbourne
Apr 6, 2011

I gave this a look a few months ago, but science-fiction WW1 tanks have been done so many times now.

Apparently the British forces will have a very different look based on recovered Martian technology. If they're more interesting than yet another round of !MkIVs, I'll give the game a look.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

Loxbourne posted:

I gave this a look a few months ago, but science-fiction WW1 tanks have been done so many times now.

Apparently the British forces will have a very different look based on recovered Martian technology. If they're more interesting than yet another round of !MkIVs, I'll give the game a look.

Yeh I am very interested as well towards how the Brits will turn out based on this:

quote:

In addition, the United Kingdom has sent material and scientific aid and an army, known as the British Expeditionary Force. The B.E.F. equipment will appear in this Kickstarter toward the end if your support is strong enough. The UK, with ten years of reverse engineering of the Martian Machines from the first invasion, has the world’s most technologically advanced army. With new methods of power generation, metallurgy and chemistry gleaned from the Martian science, expect them to be different but they won’t be in tripods!

Another exciting point to remember is to look on this with a view to the historical perspective of 1910. When you read British you should really read in your head "The British Empire" which due to the lack of the world wars is still fairly vast so it should hopefully include some varied models.

Mr.Trifecta
Mar 2, 2007

big_g posted:

I dunno...the pricing for the tanks after the kickstarter deals are all said and done will be $33 for 3 tanks so that's $11 per tank or £7.16 where I am which compared to say FoW is not extortionate at all. I certainly wouldn't let it put me off a good game.

I think they have stated that a 4' by 6' will be standard and for the cost of scenery:

Glad you like the look of it though I pledged in at "On the Front!" and I'm more than happy at what I'm getting. (Also I now get my name in the rule book apparently so Huzzah to that.)

Like I said, I am still going back and forth whether or not to pledge. The add-on's seem real pricey, but then again I am purely basing it comparing it to Deadzone where for $150 I get everything plus scenery.

Good info abut the 4' by 6'. I am not one to go to a FLGS to go play wargames, rather have friends come over for that sort of thing. Don't own that large of table to accommodate. Arg, so many likes but just as many dislikes.

big_g
Sep 24, 2004

The developers have released some interesting documents recently in BETA form. Great read for how the fluff will be and a starter for the rules and units.

US ARMY UNITS

http://www.itsgameoverman.com/G/AQO...s_beta_list.pdf

MARTIAN UNITS

http://www.itsgameoverman.com/G/AQO...s_beta_list.pdf

PLAYING THE GAME AND SCENARIOS

http://www.itsgameoverman.com/G/AQO...f_scenerios.pdf

Asehujiko
Apr 6, 2011

They already mentioned Britain using Indian models. Germany and France together seems... odd. Weren't they still at each other's throat over the Franco-Prussian war? I'm mainly interested in Tsarist Russia, I'd like to see them done with more detail than "WWII soviets but with taller fur hats".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Winson_Paine
Oct 27, 2000

Wait, something is wrong.

Kickstarter poo poo goes in the KS thread, as a matter of policy specific KS threads need preapproval. I suggest reposting your excellent OP there.