Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would go for the 17mm/3.5 TS-E for maximum flexibility.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spime Wrangler
Feb 23, 2003

Because we can.

And a 200-400mm F4L IS 1.4x for a little extra reach

INTJ Mastermind
Dec 30, 2004

It's a radial!

Spime Wrangler posted:

And a 200-400mm F4L IS 1.4x for a little extra reach

That's too bulky. A 400mm f2.8 prime would bee an ideal walk around lens with good low light performance.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

INTJ Mastermind posted:

That's too bulky. A 400mm f2.8 prime would bee an ideal walk around lens with good low light performance.

You don't want to stand out from the other tourists with a fancy lens like that, so you have to carry it in a fanny pack and you have to use your popup flash with every shot.

CarrotFlowers
Dec 17, 2010

Blerg.
On a serious note, I had almost the same setup as you when I went to Europe (t1i and kit lens + telephoto) and I used my kit 18-55 95% of the time. I didn't see much of a need for going longer, and the wide end was useful for tight city streets. Obviously depends on your style of shooting, but I'd say the 17-50 range on a crop is the most useful as a walk around.

Dr. Shockwave
Dec 12, 2012

Thanks everybody. The other thought would be doing a
1) Canon_10-22_f3.5-4.5_EF-S
2) Canon_24-105mm_f4_IS

If that sounds like too much or a pain, maybe I'll go with the recommendation here and get the Canon EF-S 17-55mm f/2.8 IS USM

Ferris Bueller
May 12, 2001

"It is his fault he didn't lock the garage."
I took the 10-22(UWA du jour,) and the 17-55 f2.8 Seemed pretty workable arrangement for europe, though now my kit for walk around is the 10-22 and a 50 f1.4, on a 7d. Never did I feel that I needed 50 more mm to take a picture of something.

EDIT:However I'm extremely glad I took the UWA.

Ferris Bueller fucked around with this message at 22:43 on May 23, 2013

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Stand it like a man... and give some back
Another stupid question RE: 6D.

I am kind of curious what most people with Canon's do to get their photos off their cameras. I'm coming from the Nikon world with a D70 (fantastic camera for its time), and I used Nikon Transfer and Nikon View to handle the photo transfers from CF card into a temp directory, rename images with date/location specific file names, and transfer the photos from a single shoot into a new subdirectory.

Most of the stuff I have seen associated with Canon seems to involve the use of Silverlight (blarg), what do most people do to get their originals on to their storage medium before doing post process via LR and/or PS?

mearn
Aug 2, 2011

Kevin Harvick's #1 Fan!

I just insert my card into a reader and import everything off the card through Lightroom.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

mearn posted:

I just insert my card into a reader and import everything off the card through Lightroom.

Can Lightroom handle the batch filename conversions? One of the things that was nice about using the older software that I was using was that I could assign sequenced complex filenames to 300+ photos with a single command, just curious how I will need to modify my workflow.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lightroom can batch-rename on import and export. It's quite flexible.

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

I import everything with Capture One.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

Alternatively, get the TS-E 24/3.5LII. It's the perfect travel lens for anyone going to Europe, and is a perfect walk-about lens for any city.

I have heard you say such nice things about this lens that I finally bit the bullet and ordered it today. I am traveling to Paris next month so I hope that it will be a good walk around lens.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

See what you did, woot fatigue?

BeanTaco
Apr 14, 2011

loving called it.
Fortunately its a pretty great lens.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

demonachizer posted:

I have heard you say such nice things about this lens that I finally bit the bullet and ordered it today. I am traveling to Paris next month so I hope that it will be a good walk around lens.

You're going to love it! Just make sure you bring an external flash. It always casts a shadow when I use it with my Rebel T2.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

demonachizer posted:

I have one and it's incredible, but remember it's manual focus only so it has a learning curve if you're used to quick auto focus. Its a lens that benefits greatly from a tripod, but it is still a wonderful walk around lens.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

woot fatigue posted:

You're going to love it! Just make sure you bring an external flash. It always casts a shadow when I use it with my Rebel T2.

Same thing with an XT? I don't have an external flash. :( I just blew my budget on the lens.

completely not serious. I do want one bad though

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

demonachizer posted:

Same thing with an XT? I don't have an external flash. :( I just blew my budget on the lens.

Just do light painting with your phone.

Inf
Jan 4, 2003

BBQ

CrushedWill posted:

Can Lightroom handle the batch filename conversions? One of the things that was nice about using the older software that I was using was that I could assign sequenced complex filenames to 300+ photos with a single command, just curious how I will need to modify my workflow.

Well, when you're using Lightroom, that kinda IS your workflow with respect to fiddling with source files. Since adopting LR a few years ago I have not worried/cared about what any of the files were named because it was all purely transparent to me. Even when I export, I have custom naming schemes for different projects that have no dependence on the original file names.

I would not buy Lightroom just to import photos, that would be silly. You can use your shell (Windows Explorer/Mac OS whatever) to copy/paste files directly from the flash card when you plug your camera in and carry on dealing with files as you're accustomed. Lightroom is pretty badass, though, if you take the time to become fully proficient with it. LR4 is going on sale in a lot of places right now because LR5 is on the horizon, so it may be a good time to buy if you want to save some cash.

Also, maybe you've already covered this, but I'm curious why you're considering a 6D if you're already invested in Nikon equipment? Most people (myself, a satisfied 6D user included) would say "just get a D600." There have been times in the past when switching to Canon made sense, but I don't really think now is one of them, especially if you're only interested in shooting stills, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

CrushedWill
Sep 27, 2012

Inf posted:

Well, when you're using Lightroom, that kinda IS your workflow with respect to fiddling with source files. Since adopting LR a few years ago I have not worried/cared about what any of the files were named because it was all purely transparent to me. Even when I export, I have custom naming schemes for different projects that have no dependence on the original file names.

I would not buy Lightroom just to import photos, that would be silly. You can use your shell (Windows Explorer/Mac OS whatever) to copy/paste files directly from the flash card when you plug your camera in and carry on dealing with files as you're accustomed. Lightroom is pretty badass, though, if you take the time to become fully proficient with it. LR4 is going on sale in a lot of places right now because LR5 is on the horizon, so it may be a good time to buy if you want to save some cash.

Also, maybe you've already covered this, but I'm curious why you're considering a 6D if you're already invested in Nikon equipment? Most people (myself, a satisfied 6D user included) would say "just get a D600." There have been times in the past when switching to Canon made sense, but I don't really think now is one of them, especially if you're only interested in shooting stills, as you mentioned in an earlier post.

I've not dicked aroud with LR that much as I don't own it. I have a feeling I am stuck or somewhat limited in my thinking in that I have always had certain inefficient ways of handling workflow. I'll try LR out and see if I can get over my bad habits.

I've always had access to various levels of Canon equipment through friends, work associates, and professional contacts. As strange as it sounds, the Canon stuff feels better in my hands, there is something about the ergo that seems to be different and better than with the Nikon stuff I have used. And I don;t have a significant investment in Nikon other than the top of the line Nikon speedlight so it really isn't that much of a leap. Better to do the jump now than after I have any decent Nikon glass.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

CrushedWill posted:

I've not dicked aroud with LR that much as I don't own it. I have a feeling I am stuck or somewhat limited in my thinking in that I have always had certain inefficient ways of handling workflow. I'll try LR out and see if I can get over my bad habits.

I hink the beta for LR5 is still active, may want to start there.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty sure you can always try it for 30 days.

efcso
Sep 11, 2001

I'm watching you!

CrushedWill posted:

I've always had access to various levels of Canon equipment through friends, work associates, and professional contacts. As strange as it sounds, the Canon stuff feels better in my hands, there is something about the ergo that seems to be different and better than with the Nikon stuff I have used. And I don;t have a significant investment in Nikon other than the top of the line Nikon speedlight so it really isn't that much of a leap. Better to do the jump now than after I have any decent Nikon glass.

When I got back into digital photography using my own gear, I went to the camera shop and had a bit of a play with the Nikon and Canon offerings. For me, it was the same thing - the Canon sat better in my hands, so I picked it over the Nikon. One of my mates did the same thing and went to the dark side. It really can be that simple.

mclifford82
Jan 27, 2009

Bump the Barnacle!

efcso posted:

When I got back into digital photography using my own gear, I went to the camera shop and had a bit of a play with the Nikon and Canon offerings. For me, it was the same thing - the Canon sat better in my hands, so I picked it over the Nikon. One of my mates did the same thing and went to the dark side. It really can be that simple.

To me the Nikon stuff has always seemed "backwards" -- the way everything turns is the wrong way, from zooms, to lens back caps, everything. That alone is enough to keep me on the Canon side.

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

mclifford82 posted:

To me the Nikon stuff has always seemed "backwards" -- the way everything turns is the wrong way, from zooms, to lens back caps, everything. That alone is enough to keep me on the Canon side.

Yeah what the gently caress is this "micro" is macro!? Getthatshitouttahere.

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!
I bought Canon poo poo because I once owned a Canon printer. I wonder how much of Canon's market share is made up of people as lazy as me.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

casa de mi padre posted:

I bought Canon poo poo because I once owned a Canon printer. I wonder how much of Canon's market share is made up of people as lazy as me.

If anything, owning a Canon printer would make me less likely to buy other Canon products.

pseudonordic
Aug 31, 2003

The Jack of All Trades

woot fatigue posted:

If anything, owning a Canon printer would make me less likely to buy other Canon products.

I started my foray into digital photography with a Canon Powershot S100. When I jumped to an SLR, I had a friend with a 20D and L lenses I could borrow. So I got a Rebel XT in Nov 2005.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

woot fatigue posted:

This but with HP. If I ever have to use another HP printer in my life I think I'll just stab myself in the face and save myself the trouble.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.
I went Canon because the D40 sucked and the Rebel XT didn't, comparatively.

Demonachizer
Aug 7, 2004

casa de mi padre posted:

National Geographic Magazine ads did it for me.

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

dakana posted:

I went Canon because the D40 sucked and the Rebel XT didn't, comparatively.

My dad really pushed me to get Nikon, since that's what he used throughout his photo career. I was looking for a film SLR to use for the photography class I had signed up for and basically wanted the excuse to get a new gadget, and Nikon's offerings in the $100-$250 price range just weren't very appetizing, especially compared to the Rebel T2. I ended up stretching my budget to get it, so I had to get a Ritz Camera special Quantaray kit lens to go with it.

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I chose Canon because I inherited a bunch of old Nikon manual glass from my dad, of the type that scratches the prism if you try to mount it on a Nikon DSLR. Mounts fine on my Canon with a $20 adaptor. Meters and everything. Irony!

Fart Car '97
Jul 23, 2003

Seriously though "whichever feels/control better in your hands" should be like 99% of your criteria when picking a brand.

Got my 5DIII/70-200 today. Came with a center-pinch cap :smug:

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Fart Car '97 posted:

Seriously though "whichever feels/control better in your hands" should be like 99% of your criteria when picking a brand.

Make sure to list "center-pinch cap" in your exif data.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Still waiting for my 82mm center-pinch to arrive. :mad:

Chitin
Apr 29, 2007

It is no sign of health to be well-adjusted to a profoundly sick society.
I center-pinched your mom last night. All of your moms. Every last one.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

Fart Car '97 posted:

Centre‐pinch caps are lame. Side release is fine except on a few telephotos with long hoods, and the centre‐pinch caps are like three times as thick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

Platystemon posted:

Centre‐pinch caps are lame. Side release is fine except on a few telephotos with long hoods, and the centre‐pinch caps are like three times as thick.

Lens caps thicker than 10mm are too thick to fit in the pockets of my super-tight hipster jeans.