Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

fivre posted:

Lens caps thicker than 10mm are too thick to fit in the pockets of my super-tight hipster jeans.

This is not true :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paragon8
Feb 19, 2007

1st AD posted:

This is not true :getin:

gotta get sick lenscap fades in your raw denim

woot fatigue
Apr 18, 2007

Promaster UV Filters > Center-Pinch Lens Caps > Side Pinch Lens Caps

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Printer chat: we bought a pixma printer a few months ago to replace a dying i6000d.

I hated the old printer with a passion, but the new one is pretty darn badass. It just works where the old one constantly required babysitting.

Opals25
Jun 21, 2006

TOURISTS SPOTTED, TWELVE O'CLOCK
I bought my Canon since I got a good deal on a used body (from SA Mart!) and had an old film Canon and lens to use on it, rather then saving up more for a bigger kit. My mom then bought a canon so we could share lenses when we went on vacations.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.
So, today, I bit the bullet and bought a better than decent lens. After reading a ton at different sites, and weighing my finances, I bought the new Tamron 70-200 vc. I think I could bludgeon someone to death with it. that said, the AF speed beats the crap out of the 70-300 Canon I replaced with it, quieter too. I still need to import the few pics I took today to go pixel peeping (yeah, I fall into that crap sometimes) but so far I'm not upset. The other option in my price range was the canon 2.8L non IS, and as much as I'd like the white casing, everything I've read says this lens matches for image quality.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Crosspostin from the Science and Tech Image thread. Since there is no dedicated Astrophotography thread and im too :effort: to make one.

The sun, through a Hydrogen alpha filtered solar telescope onto my 550D, enhanced and colour corrected in Lightroom 4.

Negative Entropy fucked around with this message at 00:38 on May 27, 2013

casa de mi padre
Sep 3, 2012
Black people are the real racists!

Kommando posted:

Crosspostin from the Science and Tech Image thread. Since there is no dedicated Astrophotography thread and im too :effort: to make one.

The sun, through a Hydrogen alpha filtered solar telescope onto my 550D, enhanced and colour corrected in Lightroom 4.
This is cool! You should make that thread.

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

casa de mi padre posted:

This is cool! You should make that thread.

I really dont know enough. I'm barely starting out and just read a few things on the internet, I know nothing about changing filters, Deep Sky Stacker, Registax or tracking telescopes, yet.

Also, you really need to get out of the city and thats a bit of an ordeal. You have to be pretty committed to drive an hour west of Brisbane and stand out in a field during winter, gently caress about and drive back.

I'm just a dude with a camera.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

The astronomy thread in DIY tends to pull double duty as an astrophotography thread, it's a good place for questions or to post good shots.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Negative Entropy
Nov 30, 2009

Mr. Despair posted:

The astronomy thread in DIY tends to pull double duty as an astrophotography thread, it's a good place for questions or to post good shots.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Cheers. I'll take my spacepix there and leave you with this.

Canon Fisheye.

an AOL chatroom
Oct 3, 2002

Just a friendly reminder that the Canon 40mm STM pancake lens is loving baller. I originally brought it out the other night just to get behind-the-scenes shots, but it worked out just as well for live shots. This is one of my favorites.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

I dunno what I did, and I'm scared I hosed up my camera :( I was trying to use that Raw video thingy floating around, and I wasn't successful, but now when I boot up my camera it takes like 3 seconds for it to start up when it used to be instant. I'm fiddling around with different things to see what causes it, and it looks like when an SD card is in the camera it's still instant, but when I use a CF card it lags like hell. No card appears to be instant too.

Weird, I tried formatting the CF card and installing older firmware but its still very very slow with a CF card :/

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.
It takes longer because the firmware is searching your CF card for the autoexec file that will load Magic Lantern. I'm pretty sure you can just flash to the original firmware and disable the bootloader and everything will be fine again.

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

how do you disable the bootloader?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

as a person who never leaves my house i've done pretty well for myself.

somnambulist posted:

how do you disable the bootloader?

It’s under the firmware upgrade menu option, if I remember correctly.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

In the grim darkness of the future there is only Oakley.

HookShot posted:

This but with HP. If I ever have to use another HP printer in my life I think I'll just stab myself in the face and save myself the trouble.

I used to work as tech support for HP.

I will never buy one because they terribly built and support staff have their hands tied so it is almost impossible to offer good service.

"[ts posted:

xenophobe" post="415813409"]
So, today, I bit the bullet and bought a better than decent lens. After reading a ton at different sites, and weighing my finances, I bought the new Tamron 70-200 vc. I think I could bludgeon someone to death with it. that said, the AF speed beats the crap out of the 70-300 Canon I replaced with it, quieter too. I still need to import the few pics I took today to go pixel peeping (yeah, I fall into that crap sometimes) but so far I'm not upset. The other option in my price range was the canon 2.8L non IS, and as much as I'd like the white casing, everything I've read says this lens matches for image quality.

How is the image quality? I got the 70-200 non-IS 2.8. Things ways a ton but takes superb photos. Takes a while to focus but on my 60D it hasn't missed focus after it found it. On my Rebel it did a few times. Great image quality regardless.

doctor 7 fucked around with this message at 20:40 on May 28, 2013

Paul MaudDib
May 3, 2006

TEAM NVIDIA:
FORUM POLICE

doctor 7 posted:

I will never buy one because they terribly built and support staff have their hands tied so it is almost impossible to offer good service.

Buy a Brother laser printer and if you need prints go to Walmart or something.

Laser printer supremacy :smug:

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

I assume there's no noise benefit to using ISO 50 on a 5D III, considering Canon has it disabled by default?

Also after switching from a 24-105 f/4L to a 24-70 f/2.8L II, I realized that the former was better suited to video work thanks to the IS. Out of curiosity I started looking at picking up one of the new EF 24mm, 28mm, or 35mm IS lenses that Canon released in the last few months to be used strictly for video stuff and was flabbergasted to see I could easily just buy another used 24-105 f/4L for around the same price. :psyduck:

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 21:26 on May 28, 2013

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
ISO 50 is basically 1 stop overexposed and fixed in camera.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 28, 2013

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

I assume there's no noise benefit to using ISO 50 on a 5D III, considering Canon has it disabled by default?

In RAW, it’s exactly the same as overexposing ISO 100 by one stop.

e:f;b

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

TheAngryDrunk posted:

ISO 50 is basically 1 stop overexposed and fixed in camera.
I figured as much. So the net result would be be clipped highlights?

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."

I figured as much. So the net result would be be clipped highlights?

The only real advantage is if you're in very bright light and need to get your shutter speed below 1/8,000 sec.

Or if you want to get your sync speed to 1/200.

TheAngryDrunk fucked around with this message at 21:30 on May 28, 2013

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH

Also after switching from a 24-105 f/4L to a 24-70 f/2.8L II, I realized that the former was better suited to video work thanks to the IS. Out of curiosity I started looking at picking up one of the new EF 24mm, 28mm, or 35mm IS lenses that Canon released in the last few months to be used strictly for video stuff and was flabbergasted to see I could easily just buy another used 24-105 f/4L for around the same price. :psyduck:

Ahaha, the 24-105 is one the most versatile lenses Canon makes. Even better now that CA can be autocorrected in jpegs from your 5D3. Very, very, very few people who already own one could ever have good enough reasons to get rid of it. The cons just don't outweigh the pros of that lens.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Haha, this is exactly what I have done. :hf:

They're cheaper than everything else and their support is just as good (bad) but they're cheaper.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Paul MaudDib posted:

Costco.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005

Paul MaudDib posted:

One of my HP printers was a laser printer. It is on the list of printers that make me want to kill myself.

I agree though. Laser>everything else by so far.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

I will analyze your nervous system for beer money

Bingo. Costco and Dry Creek's profiles have allowed me to make some seriously killer 8x12 prints for like $1.50 each.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki
Buy a Brother laser printer! The Canon Thread

Platystemon posted:

In RAW, it’s exactly the same as overexposing ISO 100 by one stop.

e:f;b

Is this the same for the HI ISO options?

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Do you have to be a Costco member to get prints there?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

fivre posted:

Is this the same for the HI ISO options?

Yes, and on the 5D Mark II it’s true of ISO 6400, even though it’s not labelled as HI ISO.

HookShot
Dec 26, 2005
In Canada, I find London Drugs is the best (relatively cheap) photo printing option there is.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Erwin posted:

Do you have to be a Costco member to get prints there?
Yep.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

Nah. Just get a friend that is a member to buy you a bunch of $10 Costco gift cards. When it's time to pay they'll ring you up as a special member, swipe your gift card, and if your total exceeds the value of the card you can use your debit or Amex to pay the rest.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Nah. Just get a friend that is a member to buy you a bunch of $10 Costco gift cards. When it's time to pay they'll ring you up as a special member, swipe your gift card, and if your total exceeds the value of the card you can use your debit or Amex to pay the rest.
How do you order the prints in the first place? I had to put in a member # to order prints the first time. Use your friend's?

Also you don't even need a membership to buy a gift card.

doctor 7
Oct 10, 2003

I hear good things, probably because the staff there makes a wage they can actually live off of.

Personally I go to London Drugs for photos but I'm in Canada. I loathe Walmart and will avoid shopping there as much as possible.

bobfather
Sep 20, 2001

How do you order the prints in the first place? I had to put in a member # to order prints the first time. Use your friend's?

Also you don't even need a membership to buy a gift card.

Do you order online? I go in person and use their automated machines.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

bobfather posted:

Do you order online? I go in person and use their automated machines.
That explains it then. Yeah I order online and then pick up in-store.

[ts]xenophobe
Apr 21, 2004

Negative, I am a meat popsicle.

doctor 7 posted:

How is the image quality? I got the 70-200 non-IS 2.8. Things ways a ton but takes superb photos. Takes a while to focus but on my 60D it hasn't missed focus after it found it. On my Rebel it did a few times. Great image quality regardless.

Well, I'd tell you, but I've only taken a handful of shots, and I haven't imported them yet. I'm planning on giving it a run for it's money the weekend of June 14th. I'm goign to watch the Indy race in Milwaukee, complete with Pit pass, compliments of a friend. I'll post between if i do anything else with it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

somnambulist
Mar 27, 2006

quack quack

Hmm I got magic lantern to work, but the card still isnt going very fast on bootup. I tried formatting the card, but that didnt work :/ I also tried putting the autoexec.bin file on the card to see if that would help, but nothing. I'm so dumb when it comes to these things :(