Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
And in other Canon news , it looks like the strong US dollar this year which has led to some insane gray market pricing (5DS for 550$ less than retail? Whaaat?) has finally prompted some action from Canon USA. I would imagine their authorized dealer base has been howling at them for a while.

http://www.photographybay.com/2015/11/22/canon-is-suing-get-it-digital-and-others-to-stop-gray-market-dslr-sales/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Canonrumors is saying that the 7Dmkii is going to be the last 'pro level' aps-c camera the company makes. I wonder if the title of this thread in a few years will mirror the Nikon one...

Canon Thread: The 7D Mark III Will Literally Never Exist.

Why would wildlife & sports pros ever go full frame? I guess if Canon crop sensor performance is going to continue to lag, they might as well cut their losses?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
User selectable crop modes are going to become standard on FF DSLRs so no need to stick small sensors into them anymore. Leave that poo poo for the MILC and premium P&S market.

Trambopaline
Jul 25, 2010
So from the sounds of things, realistically canon isn't going to get a replacement for the 6d into stores for maybe even 12 months at least? If that's the case I might as well get shopping, I don't think I'd be that long without a ~~~**proper camera**~~~

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

I guess with the huge megapixel counts that are becoming the norm that's a sensible evolution. What's the proportion of surface area that aps-c takes up on a full frame sensor? A little more than 1/3rd? So aps-c crop mode on a 5DS would theoretically be pretty close to the resolution of the original 7D. And I guess it would be possible for AF in crop mode to be faster since there would be less data to process, as long as they can make an AF system that 'crops' itself, too. Seems like an awful lot of R&D expense to create something that messes with their carefully balanced feature segmentation scheme, but I guess they already did it once when they merged the 1D series.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Seamonster posted:

User selectable crop modes are going to become standard on FF DSLRs so no need to stick small sensors into them anymore. Leave that poo poo for the MILC and premium P&S market.

Only useful if canon makes it so they increase your buffer depth or fps , which they did neither of on the 5ds/r. With those cameras it's literally just a way to make a smaller JPEG with zero practical advantages (the raws are still full size)

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Why would wildlife & sports pros ever go full frame?
How many pros are really shooting with a 7DII, except for maybe as a backup body so they're not carrying two bulky 1D Xes? It always struck me as a weird camera targeting a very narrow market segment: enthusiast action photographers? I don't see there being enough potential customers to support a product line like that.

Sure the 7DII would be an awesome choice for Joe Consumer who's chasing his little kids around for photos, but the sales rep at Best Buy sure isn't gonna tell him that.

I still don't think I've ever seen anyone shooting with a 7DII. Not that it's any kind of statistical indicator, just a fun anecdote. I'd love to know sales numbers in the year since it came out.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

How many pros are really shooting with a 7DII, except for maybe as a backup body so they're not carrying two bulky 1D Xes? It always struck me as a weird camera targeting a very narrow market segment: enthusiast action photographers? I don't see there being enough potential customers to support a product line like that.

Sure the 7DII would be an awesome choice for Joe Consumer who's chasing his little kids around for photos, but the sales rep at Best Buy sure isn't gonna tell him that.

I still don't think I've ever seen anyone shooting with a 7DII. Not that it's any kind of statistical indicator, just a fun anecdote. I'd love to know sales numbers in the year since it came out.

Given how quickly the price dropped (refurbs are at 999$ even) they probably didn't sell a ton

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

I've seen a few 7DIIs out in the wild at college football games, but its 95% 1D's/5D's. Overall I think pros will opt for the 1D for the extra bit of ruggedness, but as a cheaper second body I can see the 7DII cropping (lol) up.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Yeah, I guess when I say pro I actually should mean people who call themselves pros based on what camera review sites say their gear makes them. Mega-consumers, maybe. ~Real~ pros probably go for 600mm and 800mm lenses with TC's so the extra reach of crop bodies isn't as beneficial. And I suppose that when you start running up against the inability of the 7Ds to AF with big teles that have their max aperture shrunken by TCs, useful reach is pretty much a toss-up between the two, so might as well go with the body that has the edge in image quality.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 06:05 on Nov 23, 2015

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.
The gap between the 70D and 7D mkII is not wide enough to justify a 7D mkII.

That's the real problem.

And self-described pros who go by what camera review sites say about their gear would never ever carry around a 70D.

I have a 70D, I used it for 2 years to do work for money, and I made 20x the cost of the camera over those two years off it doing side jobs with a handful of lenses.

I don't claim to be a "pro", but it'd be a lot harder to justify the 7D mkII in light of those results and now I just picked up the 5D mkIII and have the M3 as backup so there's no way.

I have found that the camera is much less important than the willingness to do the job and the ability to engage the subject with either enthusiasm or work ethic.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

SMERSH Mouth posted:

I guess with the huge megapixel counts that are becoming the norm that's a sensible evolution. What's the proportion of surface area that aps-c takes up on a full frame sensor? A little more than 1/3rd? So aps-c crop mode on a 5DS would theoretically be pretty close to the resolution of the original 7D. And I guess it would be possible for AF in crop mode to be faster since there would be less data to process, as long as they can make an AF system that 'crops' itself, too. Seems like an awful lot of R&D expense to create something that messes with their carefully balanced feature segmentation scheme, but I guess they already did it once when they merged the 1D series.

I don't get why, with the massive pixel count, you couldn't just shoot normal full frame and crop down in post to what you would have had with an APSC. This is instead of having the system you described

astr0man
Feb 21, 2007

hollyeo deuroga

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

I don't get why, with the massive pixel count, you couldn't just shoot normal full frame and crop down in post to what you would have had with an APSC. This is instead of having the system you described

Like timrenzi574 mentioned, the benefit of having it done in camera is that you could in theory shoot at higher burst rates and be able to fit more frames in your buffer when you are in one of the crop modes since the raw images would be smaller (but the 5ds/r doesn't do this). But yeah the end result is still the same as just cropping in post.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

astr0man posted:

Like timrenzi574 mentioned, the benefit of having it done in camera is that you could in theory shoot at higher burst rates and be able to fit more frames in your buffer when you are in one of the crop modes since the raw images would be smaller (but the 5ds/r doesn't do this). But yeah the end result is still the same as just cropping in post.

Having a bigger buffer for longer bursts makes sense, I didn't even think about that. This is actually sounding like a smart move by canon, unifying the brand makes it a lot easier to sell.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

windex posted:

The gap between the 70D and 7D mkII is not wide enough to justify a 7D mkII.
I have to disagree. The AF on the 7D2 is nearly on par with the 1DX. I shoot with both and the only time there's a noticeable difference is when you add a 2.0TC to the mix. The sensor performance of a 7D2 might be the same as a 70D, but the AF makes the difference between the two bodies significant.

Also, in regards to the 7D2 versus 1DX, I just came back from a trip with two pro nature photographers as well as a handful of very serious amateurs, and I was the only one using a full frame. Everyone had a 7D2 except for one Nikon guy. I'm not sure I understand why myself since I far prefer the 1DX, but everyone else swore by their crop bodies.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

InternetJunky posted:

I have to disagree. The AF on the 7D2 is nearly on par with the 1DX. I shoot with both and the only time there's a noticeable difference is when you add a 2.0TC to the mix. The sensor performance of a 7D2 might be the same as a 70D, but the AF makes the difference between the two bodies significant.

That's fair... because..

InternetJunky posted:

Also, in regards to the 7D2 versus 1DX, I just came back from a trip with two pro nature photographers as well as a handful of very serious amateurs, and I was the only one using a full frame. Everyone had a 7D2 except for one Nikon guy. I'm not sure I understand why myself since I far prefer the 1DX, but everyone else swore by their crop bodies.

If I did sports or wildlife photography, I'd care more about AF.

I love the crop sensor behaviors over FF on FF lenses for some things, like studio portraits with flashes in play (great detail, less vignetting than equivalent APS-C lenses, etc), but I don't do sports or wildlife photography generally, and I can see how a crop sensor helps there. If a crop body had awesome AF, it reduces the need for a teleconverter by virtue of providing one built in (this is more fair with a comparison between say a 5D3 and a 7D2 and not a 5DS and a 7D2).

I would guess 95% of my shots are on fast 24/35/50mm lenses (my L telephoto zooms collect dust except when I am getting paid and they are warranted), and if you subtract the event photography, a lot of that is done with manual focus on primes. About the only prime lens I'd like to own I don't own is a fast ~135mm (which is the only reason I ever even use my 70-200L), but Sigma is making noises in that direction and I'll wait.

I own a Nikon 1 V3 I bought as a fancy point and shoot for giggles on sale and I do understand what having 300 million AF points does for you, etc, the thought or need to do it just never works its way into my work or personal photography.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

InternetJunky posted:

This is an even bigger problem for Canon, then. If the 7DII really is cannibalizing 1D X sales, then they really goofed. Pros should be their high-margin cash cows, and if they're getting by with a $1000 enthusiast body then Canon shot themselves in the foot. It's a nice outcome for sports/wildlife photographers though.

Alpenglow
Mar 12, 2007

Every west coast well-off white person over 60 who drives a Subaru/Prius has a 7D to take pictures of birds, and a lot probably now have a 7D2. That and a 100-400 or 300/4 or the like.

InternetJunky
May 25, 2002

This is an even bigger problem for Canon, then. If the 7DII really is cannibalizing 1D X sales, then they really goofed. Pros should be their high-margin cash cows, and if they're getting by with a $1000 enthusiast body then Canon shot themselves in the foot. It's a nice outcome for sports/wildlife photographers though.
I think Canon is in a corner right now. They don't have a pro body they can put out that offers the same type of upgrade that the 1DX did over the 1D4, but at the same time they have closed the gap between their pro body and the next level down.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

If they let the 5D3 have exposure compensation in manual mode, they'd probably cannibalize even more from the 1DX.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Alpenglow posted:

Every west coast well-off white person over 60 who drives a Subaru/Prius has a 7D to take pictures of birds, and a lot probably now have a 7D2. That and a 100-400 or 300/4 or the like.

This makes me feel like I'm supposed to be old, I own a Subaru and the majority of my photos are of birds

Mum asked me what i want for christmas, she said she'll give me something up to $150 AUD, I was thinking of asking for a flash if I can get a good one for around that. I also saw canons 50m 1.8 STM. Is it possible to get a good flash in that pricerange/any recomendations, and is the 50mm stm a good choice?

GunForumMeme
Apr 22, 2010

Bubbacub posted:

If they let the 5D3 have exposure compensation in manual mode, they'd probably cannibalize even more from the 1DX.

Unrelated question. What would be the use of exposure compensation in manual mode?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

This makes me feel like I'm supposed to be old, I own a Subaru and the majority of my photos are of birds

Mum asked me what i want for christmas, she said she'll give me something up to $150 AUD, I was thinking of asking for a flash if I can get a good one for around that. I also saw canons 50m 1.8 STM. Is it possible to get a good flash in that pricerange/any recomendations, and is the 50mm stm a good choice?

YN-500EX are like 85$ US on ebay (shipped from HK) - TTL / HSS. The 568II is more powerful (also larger) but goes for more like 105-110$ US which is a bit more than your range

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

GunForumMeme posted:

Unrelated question. What would be the use of exposure compensation in manual mode?

auto-iso

Edit: And since the 7d2 & 5Ds/r have it, I'd expect the 5d4/5dx or whatever they end up calling it will also. The only thing they are keeping 1 series exclusive appears to be the any af point spot meter at this point.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

GunForumMeme posted:

On cameras where a whole range of ISO settings are acceptable, this is useful. On the 5D3 last weekend I worked around this by using auto ISO up to 3200, a minimum shutter speed, and aperture priority mode.

The M3 has a dedicated exposure compensation dial and in Aperture Priority or Manual with auto ISO 800, its insanely useful when you notice your preview is a bit under or over exposed.

Works best in situations where you do not have time to muck about with ideas on fixing your shots, you just need them brighter or darker now, and ISO is your most willing tradeoff.

KinkyJohn
Sep 19, 2002

timrenzi574 posted:

The only thing they are keeping 1 series exclusive appears to be the any af point spot meter at this point.

Well then they'll just have to develop more features for / reasons to use the 1dx ii

I would prefer they do that rather than cripple the 5d and 6d updates.

runawayturtles
Aug 2, 2004

Alpenglow posted:

This is funny because I know a well-off white guy on the west coast who is 75 and has a 7D to take pictures of birds, among other things, and not only a 300 but a 70-200 2.8 as well.

Not sure if he upgraded to a 7D2 though.

BetterLekNextTime
Jul 22, 2008

It's all a matter of perspective...
Grimey Drawer
The statement rings true for me. For fun I decided to check through recent photos on my local birder flickr group and see- I'm pretty sure Canon is a narrow majority of the ones with visible EXIF, and of those, almost all are 7D and 7DII. No Rebel.

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

Bubbacub posted:

Am I misunderstanding something? My 5D3 seems to have exposure compensation in manual mode. I set the camera to manual, set aperture and shutter. Then I press the ISO button on top of the camera, and scroll the top wheel left to A (auto ISO). Then I can scroll the back wheel to set exposure compensation. Maybe it's not intuitive, but it does work.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

Graniteman posted:

Am I misunderstanding something? My 5D3 seems to have exposure compensation in manual mode. I set the camera to manual, set aperture and shutter. Then I press the ISO button on top of the camera, and scroll the top wheel left to A (auto ISO). Then I can scroll the back wheel to set exposure compensation. Maybe it's not intuitive, but it does work.

I can't even get the exposure compensation setting to adjust in M mode if I hit the Q button. AEB works but only centered at 0EV with a range of -3 to 3EV (where it is -5 to +5 in aperture priority), but requires shooting multiple frames.

The main wheel controls aperture in M mode. The shutter dial controls shutter speed. You are just manually adjusting the exposure by controlling the shutter/aperture using a fixed range of ISO speed settings, most likely. My camera is set to a maximum ISO speed of 3200, and if I turn the dial enough to either side, it does pseudo-exposure compensation when you run out of acceptable ISO speeds at 0EV, but this is not the same.

If you'd like I can stage a video showing the difference between my 5D3 and M3 but it'll probably be later today.

edit:

OH, if you hit the ISO button and turn the wheel you are setting flash compensation. This is not exposure compensation and only matters if you have flashes attached.

windex fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Nov 26, 2015

Graniteman
Nov 16, 2002

windex posted:

OH, if you hit the ISO button and turn the wheel you are setting flash compensation. This is not exposure compensation and only matters if you have flashes attached.

Yep, you're right. I was seeing the tick mark move and didn't notice the flash icon. I was just looking at the top LCD. On the Q screen it's obviously FEC.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001
On the cameras that have it, you have to dedicate SET to that. You hold it down and turn the main control dial to set EC.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

timrenzi574 posted:

On the cameras that have it, you have to dedicate SET to that. You hold it down and turn the main control dial to set EC.

You cannot set exposure compensation on a 5D3 in Manual mode with auto ISO. Just being really clear; even if you go into the menu and try to set it the long way, it will not move.

There's no reason to configure set to be exposure compensation mode on the 5D3 because in the "x.. Priority" modes, the rear dial is always exposure compensation by default with no modifier (you may need to half-press the shutter or hit the AF on button if your camera is asleep to adjust it). The best thing to set SET to IIRC, for use in manual mode, is ISO.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

windex posted:

You cannot set exposure compensation on a 5D3 in Manual mode with auto ISO. Just being really clear; even if you go into the menu and try to set it the long way, it will not move.

There's no reason to configure set to be exposure compensation mode on the 5D3 because in the "x.. Priority" modes, the rear dial is always exposure compensation by default with no modifier (you may need to half-press the shutter or hit the AF on button if your camera is asleep to adjust it). The best thing to set SET to IIRC, for use in manual mode, is ISO.

I'm aware. I'm talking about the 1dx/7d2/5ds/r. That's how ec via auto ISO in manual works on those cameras

Edit: the 1dx probably has other ways too

timrenzi574 fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 27, 2015

DaveSauce
Feb 15, 2004

Oh, how awkward.
I'm in the market for an entry level telephoto zoom lens for a T5i. Last I heard the EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM was the bees knees for the price point.

Canon Price Watch shows that as a "deactivated" part number on Canon's site. Does that mean it's obsolete? I can still find it new and refurbished on Canon's site, so I'm confused.

So that said, is this still a good option? Or is there a replacement that's better/cheaper?

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

DaveSauce posted:

I'm in the market for an entry level telephoto zoom lens for a T5i. Last I heard the EF-S 55-250 F/4-5.6 IS STM was the bees knees for the price point.

Canon Price Watch shows that as a "deactivated" part number on Canon's site. Does that mean it's obsolete? I can still find it new and refurbished on Canon's site, so I'm confused.

So that said, is this still a good option? Or is there a replacement that's better/cheaper?

Not discontinued, and it's a great little lens.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
It is really an amazing lens for that price. Make sure you get the STM version though, the older model is not nearly as good.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

DaveSauce posted:

I own this exact lens, got it grey import from Hong Kong cause it was $400 AUD otherwise, and I love it. It gives about as much reach as a 400L on a full frame, for way less cost. I find it excellent for bird shots, however, for some of the more skittish species, it's not enough.

Magpie headshot by me, on Flickr

Open that fully, thats at 250mm f/5.6 (wide open at 250). It's a nice lens. Don't mind the beak being blurry, I focused on his eye and thats just the range of the depth of field at 250mm/f5.6. If you check my flickr out, all of the bird shots are with this lens. I have a t3i but from what I understand, we have identical sensors.

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 09:49 on Dec 9, 2015

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Can anyone recommend extension tubes for the 5D Mk3 mount? Firstly, I want some that will allow my Sigma 150-500 to go "farther" (i.e., 700mm-1000mm) if at all possible, and I'd also like something that would allow my Zeiss 35mm to operate as a macro. I don't know anything about these, but I just want more flexibility with my existing lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Can anyone recommend extension tubes for the 5D Mk3 mount? Firstly, I want some that will allow my Sigma 150-500 to go "farther" (i.e., 700mm-1000mm) if at all possible, and I'd also like something that would allow my Zeiss 35mm to operate as a macro. I don't know anything about these, but I just want more flexibility with my existing lenses.

Sounds like the 1st one needs a 2x teleconverter and the 2nd one needs extension tubes, like the Kenko tubes.