Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

windex
Aug 2, 2006

One thing living in Japan does is cement the fact that ignoring the opinions of others is a perfectly valid life strategy.

Raikyn posted:

Whoops, did I make a mistake?

No, but I probably don't shoot what you shoot.

I know several people who bought 5D4's and borrowed one and it's a fine camera. Just, not for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Every eos body Canon has put out lately since switching to the improved on-chip ADC sensors has erred toward a cooler white balance than the previous generations.

'Canon colors' are a thing I guess. It's at least a perceived value for some users. So why change? It stands to reason that users could just tweak WB settings to get back to the old look, but why would the company that never changes anything on their DSLRs unless absolutely necessary gently caress with it in the first place?

I don't gaf and won't be buying a 5div anytime soon, but it seems like a weird move to me.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

SMERSH Mouth posted:

Every eos body Canon has put out lately since switching to the improved on-chip ADC sensors has erred toward a cooler white balance than the previous generations.

'Canon colors' are a thing I guess. It's at least a perceived value for some users. So why change? It stands to reason that users could just tweak WB settings to get back to the old look, but why would the company that never changes anything on their DSLRs unless absolutely necessary gently caress with it in the first place?

I don't gaf and won't be buying a 5div anytime soon, but it seems like a weird move to me.

It's that they put "white priority" vs "ambient priority" auto WB modes on now. That actually started with the 5DS/R before the on chip ADC bodies. If you pick white priority, it goes cooler for whiter white, and ambient priority goes warmer like the old EOS AWB did.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
I'm thinking of buying a full frame body and I'd like to spend $1000 or less. Should I get a 5dii or a 6d? Or should I wait for a 6dii to come out to pick up the original 6d? I imagine a 6dii isn't too far out.

I mainly like to shoot pictures of landscape and mountain biking. I don't care about video.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

durk onion posted:

I'm thinking of buying a full frame body and I'd like to spend $1000 or less. Should I get a 5dii or a 6d? Or should I wait for a 6dii to come out to pick up the original 6d? I imagine a 6dii isn't too far out.

I mainly like to shoot pictures of landscape and mountain biking. I don't care about video.

I'd get a 6D if it's between that and the 5DII. You'll probably be fine with its autofocus if the light is halfway decent and you're shooting with a good lens, but it's nothing to write home about. It's the same deal with the 5DII's AF. You could spend ~$1600-$1700 and snag a 5D3 which will make all your dreams come true, though.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

durk onion posted:

I have a hard time seeing where there's room for a 6DII in Canon's lineup. It would have to be enough better than a used 5DIII to justify a price premium, but without cannibalizing 5DIV sales.

That said, I would definitely go with a 6D over a 5DII. The 6D and 5DIII are very close to one another in every way except the 6D's autofocus system is much more rudimentary. Other than autofocus, the 6D is an improvement on the 5DII in all the same ways that the 5DIII is an improvement on the 5DII. (Plus wifi and GPS to boot) Low light performance is probably the biggest plus.

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
They'll discontinue the 5D3 in a few months. The 5D2 stuck around for a little while, but it didn't last long after the 5D3 was announced.

durk onion
Oct 25, 2010
The 6D is 4 years old now so I figured that they would refresh it sooner rather than later. The 7D1 was 5 years old when the 7D2 came out. The 5D2 and 5D3 were both 3.5 years old when their successors came out. I wouldn't be too surprised if a 6D2 came out within a year.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.
The pro move is to wait for 3rd party battery grips to come out rather than get the Canon one, right?

dakana
Aug 28, 2006
So I packed up my Salvador Dali print of two blindfolded dental hygienists trying to make a circle on an Etch-a-Sketch and headed for California.

Piquai Souban posted:

The pro move is to wait for 3rd party battery grips to come out rather than get the Canon one, right?

I dunno. Sometimes? Other times the 3rd party grips suck and if you grip them wrong the battery terminals lose connection and your camera shuts off. I bit the bullet and bought a used Canon one.

Piquai Souban
Mar 21, 2007

Manque du respect: toujours.
Triple bas cinq: toujours.

dakana posted:

I dunno. Sometimes? Other times the 3rd party grips suck and if you grip them wrong the battery terminals lose connection and your camera shuts off. I bit the bullet and bought a used Canon one.

I had a 3rd party grip for my Rebel, but got a Canon one for my 7D and was wondering whether people were having hardware problems like you had in the intervening years, as I decide whether to wait for a 3rd party or just pay the extortionate Canadian fee for a new one for my 5DMKIV.

My pinkie finger dangles off the grip with my giant hands, so I can't live like this for long.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

durk onion posted:

The 6D is 4 years old now so I figured that they would refresh it sooner rather than later. The 7D1 was 5 years old when the 7D2 came out. The 5D2 and 5D3 were both 3.5 years old when their successors came out. I wouldn't be too surprised if a 6D2 came out within a year.

I think if a 6D2 came out in the next year, it'd cannibalise sales of the 5D4. Too early, methinks.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I've had third party grips for all of my cameras. A few of them felt better than Canon grips. I've had 4 now, all Zeikos brand and they've all been great. The 60D grip was the best.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

um excuse me posted:

I've had third party grips for all of my cameras. A few of them felt better than Canon grips. I've had 4 now, all Zeikos brand and they've all been great. The 60D grip was the best.

I bought a used 6D that came with a Zeikos grip and I can't use it because holding it too tightly will separate the body from the grip enough that it'll shut off the camera. That's wit hit tightened all the way down. Must be a YMMV type of thing.

Constellation I
Apr 3, 2005
I'm a sucker, a little fucker.

dakana posted:

It really depends on the brand, you truly won't know until someone reviews a specific model for a specific camera. For example, I have a 3rd party battery grip for my 6D. It works fine for me. Only issue I've had is when the On/Off switch on the grip was halfway between on and off. This confused the camera I guess and my 6D's shutter wheel didn't work. Setting it to either on or off fixes the issue, obviously. That was pretty scary during a shoot though.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

dakana posted:

I bought a used 6D that came with a Zeikos grip and I can't use it because holding it too tightly will separate the body from the grip enough that it'll shut off the camera. That's wit hit tightened all the way down. Must be a YMMV type of thing.

I guess so. Never had a 6D grip. Two 40Ds, one 60D, and a 5DmkIII

NeuralSpark
Apr 16, 2004

dakana posted:

I had the exact same experience with that brand, and the frustration of trying to hold it ~just right~ made me go for the Canon on my 6D.

Bizzaro Quik
Dec 1, 2004
Japan rules, right?
Local seller is selling their 6D for $775. Are prices on these dropping because of the 5DIV?

Seamonster
Apr 30, 2007

IMMER SIEGREICH
They probably went mirrorless.

dakana
Aug 28, 2006

Bizzaro Quik posted:

Local seller is selling their 6D for $775. Are prices on these dropping because of the 5DIV?

Probably, yeah -- 5D3 prices are definitely dropping. Before the 5D4, usually 5D3 prices were around $1800 and 6D around $1000; now that 5D3 prices are down around $1650 and sometimes lower, 6D prices have dropped as well to maintain the same relative price differential.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

Don't forget that DSLRs can also get used to poo poo, especially if the owner was a professional or a compulsive shutterbug. The mirrors and shutter assemblies, especially on FF DSLRs, can get pretty worn out, poo poo gets dropped too, and it reduces the price that halfway honest sellers will ask for.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
I bent back the fold out screen on my 60D a while back. It still works but it's definitely broken. I'd feel like a jerk trying to sell it, at least without disclosing the damage.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
I wish i lived where you guys are from, here everything for sale is a++ just been serviced only used on sundays.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

windex posted:

The real problem Canon and Nikon have is DSLRs are just not fun to use, require too much effort to use well, automate passable results (which disincentivizes growth), and are now only incrementality better at extremes from other cameras in practically every way.

The few pros, as a package, are still necessary for a large population of commerical photographers at the grind every day (or every weekend), but in my case I got out of that and have been struggling to find purpose in a DSLR. And nothing about the 5D4 screamed "buy me", even with a sea of glass in mount.

Not only that, it's that 5D4 is just playing catch up to the rest of the market and getting to the 'about as good as others' point.
The DR/noise level is just a tad worse than the 810 or A7R2. The megapickle count is a bit lower but it's awash for irl shooting. The video aspect is a disappointment of an 1.74x (lol) crop.

It's a decent camera compare to the 5D3 but it kinda falls short when you consider that the D810 has been out for more than 2 years and A7R2 has been out for over a year.

bolind
Jun 19, 2005

Pillbug
Sigma is now offering a 85 1.4 Art, a 12-24 4.0 and a 500 Sport. I want the first two. Badly. But let's see what the reviews say.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Encrypted posted:

Not only that, it's that 5D4 is just playing catch up to the rest of the market and getting to the 'about as good as others' point.
The DR/noise level is just a tad worse than the 810 or A7R2. The megapickle count is a bit lower but it's awash for irl shooting. The video aspect is a disappointment of an 1.74x (lol) crop.

It's a decent camera compare to the 5D3 but it kinda falls short when you consider that the D810 has been out for more than 2 years and A7R2 has been out for over a year.

The SNR is pretty much neck and neck with all three of those cameras, with the D810 slightly on the bottom, and the A7R2 slightly on the top, with the 5D4 in the middle. For DR, the A7R2 & D810 lead a little at base ISO, they all 3 become pretty much the same @ 200 & 400, and the 5D4 and A7R2 pull a little ahead past 400, but not significantly.

Regarding the video crop, I really fail to see how having it crop to approximately super35 size is such a huge deal as some people are making it out to be. It's only been the industry standard for what, over 50 years?

I would think the frame rate options, lack of focus aids, terrible DSLR ergonomics for video use, no 4k hdmi output, and lack of log profiles would be much bigger deals to actual filmmakers over the crop. There are much bigger deals than a crop factor that's compatible with about a squillion cine lenses in existence.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

bolind posted:

Sigma is now offering a 85 1.4 Art, a 12-24 4.0 and a 500 Sport. I want the first two. Badly. But let's see what the reviews say.

Yeah, I'd hold off to see if people are experiencing AF problems. Sigma seems to have a lot of whacky issues with their AF implementation. My last two Art lenses would have good and bad days.

Encrypted
Feb 25, 2016

timrenzi574 posted:

I would think the frame rate options, lack of focus aids, terrible DSLR ergonomics for video use, no 4k hdmi output, and lack of log profiles would be much bigger deals to actual filmmakers over the crop. There are much bigger deals than a crop factor that's compatible with about a squillion cine lenses in existence.
You are right that the crop probably isn't the biggest issue for most people. I just remember it being something a bit worse than the regular super35 factor. The other stuff you mentioned also didn't help though.

timrenzi574
Sep 11, 2001

Encrypted posted:

You are right that the crop probably isn't the biggest issue for most people. I just remember it being something a bit worse than the regular super35 factor. The other stuff you mentioned also didn't help though.

it's slightly smaller than super35 , by just about the same amount smaller than super35 the RED cameras shoot 4k in actually. (The 5 & 6K cameras shoot @ super35 at their native resolution, then crop when you shoot 4k, 2k, etc. Because the output is much cleaner than using an efficient downsampling, and doing a high quality but inefficient downsample requires a LOT of horsepower)

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

The more I think about it, the more appealing the M5 sounds. It'd be nice to have a compact body that can still use my nice lenses.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Bubbacub posted:

The more I think about it, the more appealing the M5 sounds. It'd be nice to have a compact body that can still use my nice lenses.
If it had been out a year earlier then I would have strongly considered it instead of a switch to Fuji. There's no going back for me now, though.

edit: Though if I'd been adapting all of my full-frame glass, I wouldn't really have ended up with a more compact package. Hm. I'd probably still have landed on Fuji now that I think about it.

Star War Sex Parrot fucked around with this message at 02:02 on Sep 23, 2016

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

It kind of looks like an x-t1 when you squint.

I think there's an interesting differentiation between the systems you would be buying into with m5 vs fuji. With the m5, you get one good native prime lens, three or four good dslr apsc zooms and a decent prime, plus lots of third party apsc dslr primes and zooms. And it's all relatively cheap compared to Fuji x lenses. But Fuji primes are better, and generally so are their zooms. Then if you want to go really high-end, you have to jump back to Canon L poo poo, which is even more expensive (and not the best choice for UWA applications, but otherwise...). And heavy.

I guess it sort of comes down to whether or not you see the apsc offerings from fuji as being overpriced compared to what you can get on Canon, or the canon-compatible apsc stuff as lacking in variety and quality compared to Fuji. I think most here see it in the latter sense.

But if you want to go super telephoto with mirrorless, Canon could now be competitive with fuji. I guess. ... depends on how much value you place on being able to use native first-party lenses.

Bubbacub
Apr 17, 2001

Yeah, I'm thinking it would be a nice body to pair with my MP-E 65mm and the rest of my macro kit. The lens itself is relatively compact, but I'd like to carry a smaller camera bag when I'm out in the woods. And when I'm macro shooting I don't need like 90% of the functionality of a full DSLR.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.
Canon have clearly run out of ideas and are now going down the special edition route. Unfortunately not with aesthetic quality of say the the Fuji Graphites, rather their designers seem to belong to the same school as those of Pentax, Hasslebad, and Leica...

http://petapixel.com/2016/11/11/canon-launches-graybrown-version-rebel-t6-dslr/

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
That looks like a toy

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

"According to consumer research, people say they don't feel inspired by our baseline camera model."

Edit: this is going to be a huge upgrade for the people who have to have silver DSLRs. It was cruel of Canon to keep them locked into using the OG digital rebel.

SMERSH Mouth fucked around with this message at 13:35 on Nov 12, 2016

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lmao yeah that'll inspire the gently caress outta your entry level potential customers, well done.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

If they're short on ideas I got one they can try out: get a sensor that's worth a drat.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

That's quite underwhelming. Great way to damage your brand, Canon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lutha Mahtin
Oct 10, 2010

Your brokebrain sin is absolved...go and shitpost no more!

lol if any of you think the people buying that will care about nerdy sensor analysis spreadsheets or corporate branding strategy

"ooh i like the color of this one!" <---this is what is going to happen