Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

All you need to know about the t5i:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=baHqjUrykTU

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

GoldenNugget posted:

The digital rev version comparing to the T3i because the T4i is so similar:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNyuP98KO3A

Especially the first 30 seconds or so, where they do the same thing and then realize there's no way to fill an 8 minute segment comparing the t5i to the t4i.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Plastic isn't going to mysteriously fall apart in 20 years.

This thread is as nuts as the old one.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Canon lenses would be good values if there wasn't almost always an option from a different manufacture with equal or better performance for a fraction of the cost.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

Could everyone just take a second to note that the instigator of Canon lenses not being good is the OP of the Nikon thread.

#justsayin

Don't worry, I don't shoot nikon anymore either.

e. I just remembered I have a d7000 for work but I hate it.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 19:14 on May 16, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The astronomy thread in DIY tends to pull double duty as an astrophotography thread, it's a good place for questions or to post good shots.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3155317&userid=0&perpage=40&pagenumber=1

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Drunk Badger posted:

Anything (way) under $50?

I have this Hoya, it's pretty ok.

http://www.amazon.com/Hoya-SERIES-Circular-Polarizer-Filter/dp/B00006HOAQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1369970805&sr=8-1&keywords=hoya+cpl

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Remo posted:

I would say the 50mm would complement your kit lens more than the 40mm, the gimmick of the 40mm is that it has a very small profile so the overall size of your camera is very small when you use it, focal length and aperture wise it is not as much of a step up from the kit lens.

I dont' think you get the magic of 40mm pancakes.

Everyone should own a 40mm pancake. They're just... wonderful.

And saying that a full stop or two isn't an improvement over the kit lens is silly, same with saying that "the focal length" isn't a step up. That doesn't even make sense! It's a prime lens, what are you expecting!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The same reason people capitalize JPEG or TIFF.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

tarepanda posted:

No, it's not. Those are both acronyms, which raw is not.

They're all file extensions :colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BeanTaco posted:

I didn't realize at all that we were talking about the tamron.
I'm sure the tamron is fine but the canon has an autofocus that is pretty insanely fast, I use it for birds and it does a good job.

Of course we're talking about the tamron, it's the best bang for your buck 70-300 out there unless you're buying L glass or something twice as expensive.

:colbert:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BeanTaco posted:

canon 10-22 looks fun but expensive.
Which of the third part lenses around this bracket are good, or is it worth biting the bullet and getting the canon?
edit: this is for a 7d btw

The sigma 8-16 or 10-22, Tamron 10-24, and Tokina 11-16 are all options to look at.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 02:14 on Jun 14, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bob Mundon posted:

Would the 5.6 on a variable aperture run into trouble outdoors too, or is it generally within acceptable range? Keeping in mind I really don't want to run my camera over 800 ISO. Be nice to have a fixed f/4, but then again, having good IS for half the price on a Tamron 70-300 is pretty appealing if there's not a huge difference in between the two shooting outside.

IS on the tamron is great, but it won't freeze motion of the subject. If you're shooting motion in sunlight you'll probably be fine, but on cloudy or overcast days you *might* run into issues if you want to be shooting at 1/1000 or faster.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Star War Sex Parrot posted:

Keep in mind that they're directly comparing it to one of the sharpest lenses Canon has ever produced, so it's not exactly a fair fight.

Also you probably wouldn't be shooting wide open like that.

Yeah, but even at f/8 it's kinda lovely compared to the canon. Half the price though.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mAlfunkti0n posted:

Someone tell me the 6D is junk and I don't want it. I hate being poor at the moment.

It is junk, why the hell would you want it.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Kaninrail posted:

The sensor in the 5d2 is pretty inferior compared to the 6D's sensor.

Well yeah, canon made it. What do you expect.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

As much as I love the feel of the Rokiyang, I think I'd regret not having autofocus at that focal length since it would be replacing my walkaround lens (17-40L). Once I sell the 17-40 my lens kit, other than weird or adapted stuff I never use, will be:
  • TS-E 17/4L
  • TS-E 24/3.5LII
  • EF 50/1.4
  • EF 85/1.8
Looking at it that way, it almost makes me wonder if I should also get rid of the 50, buy a 35, then also get something like the 100/2.8L IS Macro. I rarely ever shoot anything longer than 85, but it would be nice to have the option.

gently caress autofocus, buy a Takumar 35/3.5, the king of 35s.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Seamonster posted:

Maybe I'm just an ignorant noob, but 3.5 doesn't seem particularly fast and isn't that the whole point of primes?

It's hella sharp and magical and perfect.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

Another point of primes, which happens to be the most important to me, is that primes are less complicated and easier to make free of distortions, aberrations, and maximize sharpness.

This is like the description of the 35/3.5.

:allears:

e. But seriously it's one of the sharpest 35mm's you can buy, can be found for very cheap (under 100 bucks), and the m42 version adapts to canon very easily, even on FF. If you aren't planning on shooting at 35mm a lot, or if you're not worried about needing to shoot at f/1.4, it's an amazing deal for the quality. The same exact lens design is used in the 75/4.5 medium format lens for the pentax 6x7 system, and for good reason!

e2. someone trade their 5d for my p67 setup already so I can use my 35/3.5 more often, tia.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Jun 19, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

It's around $60 on KEH so I might as well try it out. Do you have any thoughts on replacing the Canon 50/1.4 with the SMC Takumar 50/1.4? That could be a nice way to ditch the questionable build quality of the Canon while getting some cash back.

Edit: $60 for the non-SMC. $90 for the SMC. Still gonna grab it.

I'm not sure it's as sharp as the newer canon, but I've dropped my k mount 50/1.4 (pretty sure it's the same glass) several times (even onto concrete!) and it still works perfectly. Probably has more CA issues than the newer canon lens though.

My 50 and 35 are both multicoated though (and the 75/4.5) so I dunno how big of a difference that makes compared to the non-smc ones.

:getin:

wish my phones camera had a not lovely lens though

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, the CA is there, at least it's worse than say, my olyumpus 12-50 with it's fancy ED coatings and stuff.

Could be worse though. This I *think* was the 50/1.4 wide open, you can see the touch of CA in the flare on the can.

P4231027.jpg by MrDespair, on Flickr

This was the 35/3.5 wide open, showing off how well it handles flare even with the sun literally on the edge of the frame.

PIXELPEEPTEST by MrDespair, on Flickr

I wish I had more examples with these lenses, but 70mm and 100mm on a m43 body just aren't something I shoot a whole lot, unless I'm stitching stuff together.

Paul MaudDib posted:

I think between 35mm and 6x7 I own like 5 copies of this lens (3 k-mount, S-M-C-T M42, SMC-T 6x7) . Seriously it's one of my all-time favorite lenses.

The K-series 50/1.4 is the same as the SMC Takumar 50/1.4. The -M variant is very slightly different.

Super coating is still pretty great, it's usually single coating but they were also experimenting with early versions of SMC as they went so some of the later ones have 3- or 5-layer coatings instead of the full 7 in SMC. Single coating gets you like However, some of the Super lenses are reputed to be less sharp than the SMC versions, your mileage may vary.

The one I have is the SMC-M version.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

What's the consensus on mounting Nikon lenses on Canon? I'm looking at a PC-Nikkor 35/2.8 that gives 8mm of shift...

There's also a Leica/Schneider PA-CURTAGON-R 35mm F4 that shifts but I can't really find anything in the way of reviews.

Should work fine unless the lens goes far enough into the body to hit the mirror. I haven't heard of issues like that with nikon on canon though (it can be an issue with k mount lenses though, the aperture lever tends to hit the mirror if you don't take it out or bend it).

e. a quick googling says that the rear element on that lens doesn't jut back past the mount, so it should be a-ok.

e2. K-Rock says you should use a 4x5 view camera instead though.

Dr. Despair fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Jun 19, 2013

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

There's a bunch of em on keh right now (although I'm not sure if it's the exact model you're looking for though).

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

woot fatigue posted:

Can you ask for it back and I'll give you $300 for it? Beards & Hats wants $400 for the black knob version

Edit: Found a couple cheaper at Adorama.

That's where I first looked, and the prices are tempting, but they're all the older silver knob version which has a different optical design (8 elements vs 7 in the newer version).

I've never been tempted by the Leica bug. I'd be all for a monochrome Canon or MF back. I've been wanting to shoot black and white again but it feels so dirty throwing away 1/3rd of the resolution on an RGB sensor.

Have you considered buying a sigma. SD1 would give you ~15 real megapixels of black and white :science:

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Bubbacub posted:

Don't know how reputable this place is (the ad appeared in my gmail sidebar), but this place is selling them for a bit over $2300:

http://www.rythercamera.com/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=42083&gclid=CMCLuY3zhLgCFQik4AodlUgAHg

5 seconds of googling brings up plenty of reviews about them selling grey market poo poo with no warrenty and/or not selling at the price they list unless you buy add-ons.

They're your usual lovely scam site.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

tliil posted:

It helps people know you use a Canon brand camera, and that's like... everything!

I have done extensive tests that show that if you put a red ring on the end of your lens people will assume it's a canon.

Even if the lens is pentax lens reverse mounted a nikon.

Seriously.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

Lens bezel. On a happier note, I took the plunge today and price matched buy.com at a local Best Buy for a 5D Mark III. I've used it for about thirty minutes and I'm just blown away by it. I'm coming from a T4i, which I am going to keep for the crop and articulating screen (awesome for macro work), and the differences are incredible. The viewfinder is amazingly bright and big (feels like going from SD to HD).

Right now I'm using some 30-40mb/s SD cards. Is there a recommended speed that would be better? I'm noticing scrolling through images can be a bit sluggish. Also, is it worthwhile to get a large and fast CF card? They're stupidly expensive in comparison to SD cards, so I'd like to know before making the investment.

Thanks, now I'm going to go annoy the family dog some more.

The CF cards are stupid expensive because they are stupid fast in comparison to SD cards.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

BetterLekNextTime posted:

70D is officially announced.

wifi, 7fps, flippy touch screen, 20mp. 19 pt AF, all cross-type, fancy new live-view AF, AMFA.

Apparently did not get: AMFA, weather sealing, dual card slots, fast card slot, GPS.

Definitely seems like an upgrade from the underwhelming aps-c advances of the past 2-3 years, and I'm actually surprised at how cheap it is (I was guessing $1400 to start). Of course we'll have to wait to see how the sensor actually performs.

This also leaves plenty of room for a 7DmkII or 8D or whatever the high-end crop camera will be called.

e: just glanced at the dpreview preview and it says it got AMFA- cool! They were also pretty positive on the live view AF from my quick readthrough

I'm pretty sure it's AFMA, for autofocus microadjustment. Not AMFA, which is the Aircraft Mechanics Fraternal Association.

Just guessing.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Boneitis posted:

Are all videos from Japan this insane?

NMA isn't from japan, what the hell man.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

1st AD posted:

I don't know why chasing video autofocus is such a big priority for manufacturers. Every time I've used it on any system it's awful and does a bad job of actually tracking moving things. On a small sensor camcorder you can kind of deal with it since the depth of field is so deep, but on even m4/3 it looks really clunky.

People using a DSLR as a video camera are going to want lenses with a smooth focus ring with a long throw. And they're probably not going to want to drop the kind of money Canon wants on those cine-primes :argh:

It's almost like they're trying to improve the bits of the camera that suck!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Until you remember that it's an eos-m at least.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Gambl0r posted:

It's $300 on Amazon too... I'm thinking about it, although I have no real need for one. Apparently a new firmware was just released that addressed problems with focusing.

Edit: stupid question, the crop factor is 1.6, but is there anything additional when using the EF adapter? Would the 40mm pancake be 64mm or something even 'longer'?

The crop factor wouldn't change. If it did then using a 40mm on a canon aps-c dslr would wind up with a crop factor other than 1.6!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

The Sigma 17-50mm f/2.8 EX DC OS HSM FLD is designed for APS-C and smaller sensors, and if you're doing that you could get get a tamron 17-50 for less.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Yeah, you're almost certainly lagging behind the sync speed. Granted, the 5d3's sync speed is higher than 1/200, but that's for on camera flash and off camera flashes that can compensate. If you're using generic radio trigger sor something you're probably introducing just enough of a delay to miss sync.

I know with my om-d, cowboy studio triggers, and yongnuo 560ii I can only get to 1/200, if I shoot at the rated sync speed I get the bar.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

Thanks for the link, interesting read. While we're on the subject of triggers, does anyone have any experience with the Cactus LV5 Laser trigger? Seems like it could have interesting applications.

http://www.amazon.com/Cactus-Laser-Trigger-LV5/dp/B00CFA7ZVK/

Have you looked at the Trigger Trap? It's pretty useful for a lot of stuff from what I hear, and cheaper than a laser trap like that.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Paragon8 posted:

Sadly the mk3's max is 1/200 and usually ends up being real world of 1/160

Oh, I had googled it and saw something that said 1/250 so I assumed that was right without actually clicking through the link. Whoops.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

rcman50166 posted:

I played around with a 6D and 5DIII today. I had no idea they stocked them at Best Buy. I guess a lot has changed in the two years or so that I've been there. Still have crappy peripherals though. If they sold decent lenses/flashes/bags/tripods, it might be a place worth visiting regularly.

Also the floor model 5D didn't have a lens on it to play with :negative:.

My bestbuy has a pretty decent range of lenses/flashes too, and some big name tripods as well (manfrotto n poo poo). Bag though... meh.

The other thing to keep in mind is that bestbuy will pricematch places like BH and amazon now for that sort of stuff. It's pretty sweet!

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

Inf posted:

Do they pricematch to account for no sales tax through B&H?

No, you have to pay sales tax (legally you're supposed to be paying applicable sales tax through stuff you buy online at B&H too :ssh:). Still handy. Need to buy a cr123 battery, but don't want to pay the 18 bucks BB has a 2 pack for? Just pricematch with amazon and pay the decent price.

rcman50166 posted:

When did they decide that price gouging and selling warranties out the wazoo wasn't a sustainable business plan? My last experience was terrible.

Probably about 6 months ago or so? They'll still try to sell you warranties, just now if you say you want to price match on amazon they'll pull up the website and pricematch it on the spot, takes like a minute. They don't even need to page a manager or anything.

It's still not a great experience, but it's a marked improvement.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

mclifford82 posted:

You also get a 15 day no-restocking-fee return policy, which is really nice on expensive rear end camera gear.

If you're buying expensive rear end camera gear you can probably get bumped up to their PREMIER SILVER rewards program, which extends the return period out to 45 days I think?

e. 60 days now apparently. AND they'll send someone out to your house to color calibrate your tv and give you an hour of training on whatever you bought. :geno:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

So chip your lenses!