Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Did you not lock the carabiner? What happened?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

HookShot posted:

I'm thinking of buying my mom a DSLR

Thoughts?
Get her a PEN instead, thank me later.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

goattrails posted:

(the aperture is slightly smaller however).
It's not, they just give a transmission figure instead of the maximum aperture size.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The canons do.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Rent a 17-55 or buy a Tamron 17-50 instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I would go for the 17mm/3.5 TS-E for maximum flexibility.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Lightroom can batch-rename on import and export. It's quite flexible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pretty sure you can always try it for 30 days.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Basically, yes. Your mirror box and pentamirror are APS-C sized, so they'll never feel as nice as a film SLR. Electronic viewfinders can be better for this.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Marumi super dhg

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I have an R-strap, for the few times I actually use a strap. The strap itself is good, but the carabiner feels cheap as hell, and its locking isn't serated.

E: and the company is a bunch of over-litigious bums.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

If you don't give a poo poo about AF might as well get a 5d2 and spend on (used) glass instead.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Can't use hoods with a step up ring.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Given what a good TC costs you're better off getting a decent zoom on top of your 85.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

geeves posted:

edit: Reading these two posts, it sounds like the "listener" for the 6D transfer is causing a DDoS of sorts. But I can't confirm without testing it myself.
Japanese manufacturer can't code its way out of a wet paperbag? SURELY YOU JEST

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

xzzy posted:

This is true for every company regardless of nationality. Bad code isn't dependent on skin color. :colbert:
There's bad poo poo everywhere, but the Japanese are consistently horrible at writing code, and more so at designing UI's. I don't know why, they clearly have there poo poo together in plenty of other fields.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

It's a great beginner kit if you're comfortable with the handle shape of canons.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Gambl0r posted:

Edit: stupid question, the crop factor is 1.6, but is there anything additional when using the EF adapter? Would the 40mm pancake be 64mm or something even 'longer'?
The adapter is glassless, so no.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Or an EOS-M that actually works.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Expanded ISO is done in digital, instead of using amps on the sensor signal. It means you'll get a better result shooting at the max native ISO setting, then pushing in post.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Probably the Sigma unless you shoot film and can't afford the Sigma 35/1.4

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

somnambulist posted:

Even the highest native ISO setting pushed in post is going to look like absolute poo poo though...so.........
That kind of depends on the camera, but yeah, there'll be... issues :)

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Dren posted:

Magic lantern has made progress on adding 3 stops of dynamic range to the 5d3 and 7d. http://www.magiclantern.fm/forum/index.php?topic=7139.0

...this one weird trick will give you three stops of shadow detail

"at the cost of vertical image resolution and aliasing, especially in highlights and shadows"

They're scanning alternating lines at different ISOs, basically.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Depends on bit depth and compression efficiency. Compressed raws at 14bit on my D800 are about 40MB (for 36MP).

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Shmoogy posted:

Yeah this is something that can only be accomplished via chip. Software will never be able to do that- but live view focus peaking can handle it.
They could modify the software to not check for the chip.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Quantum of Phallus posted:

Uh, what. How is the camera supposed to know what's in focus if you're using a manual lens?
The same way it does an autofocus lens: if what's under the AF point is in focus, IT JUST KNOWS.

Shmoogy posted:

But there are no electronics, how would it know? Are you telling me that the camera can know if its in focus without electronics, but is limited through software alone? I don't see how that's possible, but I'm definitely interested in knowing how if it is because that's awesome, and truly weird that they'd place such an arbitrary limitation in the camera.
That's exactly what's going on: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autofocus#Phase_detection

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Combat Pretzel posted:

When lenses are set to manual, the camera just keeps checking the AF fields and does nothing. That's your job at that point. Why it doesn't work when there's a completely manual lens, is anyone's guess. I'd hope this could be overridden in software.
Phase is actually even better than that. It can sample once, and it'll know what direction *and how much* to shift. In continuous, it also closes the loop: it resamples after the shift, ad infinitum until you let go of the button or the battery runs dry.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remo posted:

The 7D AF has a noticeably wider spread of cross AF points than the D7000/D7100 and the center AF point is a high precision double cross AF point, which promises more accurate AF for lenses faster tha f2.8. I would say it is still very competitive against the D7100 AF.
Yeah if you're going to pick a camera to argue the "Canon has inferior AF" point, maybe don't pick the camera that's both affordable and quick/accurate.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Remo posted:

Ok maybe I should rephrase the argument as 70D AF vs D7100 AF. At the very least its no longer as bad as the huge gap in AF between the 60D and the D7000.
I was agreeing with you, sorry about the misunderstanding. There's plenty of not-quite-capable (beyond shooting static subjects) AF modules in both Nikon and Canon's lineup, but both the 7D and D7k families are pretty good.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

The most exciting part of the 70D is what'll happen when they put the sensor in an m body.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Wario In Real Life posted:

DxO results are like 3DMark scores. Completely distilled mathematical scores which strip away all context and real world conditions.
For resolution marginal score improvements are barely perceptible (where really sensor size and MP counts usually tells you enough), but DR improvements over the years are very, very tangible.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

No lies if Nikon made a 35/2 VR I'd snap it up at the speed of light.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

erephus posted:

Will this be a reason for me to not be planning an upgrade to 6D from my 60D?
If anything, it'd be a reason to do it. Fast 24x36 sigma glass is so heavy you'll barely feel the heavier camera.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

I was about to say, it's not like Pentax is making money hand over fist, and Canon's not about to make better glass than loving fuji.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Just wait for the next M body. They've finally figured out how to do sensor autofocus, so the next gen will have usable AF, and should be quite nice if they don't gently caress up anything else.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Do you have a camera now?

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

He's saying "no idea" but if he's selling it he's already gotten a quote and it was not worth it.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

That looks like serious centering error (especially off-center).

Try to shoot a newspaper inside, it'll be pretty obvious.

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

yes and yes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Unlikely but genius combo IMO.