Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Remember a few years ago when the steak thread was grey meat surfaces and cameras that didn't capture red?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

BlueGrot posted:

Remember a few years ago when the steak thread was grey meat surfaces and cameras that didn't capture red?

I ducassed a steak!

*shows picture of a literal brown leather shoe*

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.

Drifter posted:

Ho ho, zing!

You can't seriously tell me that burning the gently caress out of butter is ever a good thing.

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm literally saying that people have terrible opinions in how to cook.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

Bacon fat is p much the only thing I'll sear my steaks in. It's fantastic poo poo.

Well holy poo poo. I'd never thought of that. Can anyone vouch for this one? I did the olive oil prep and smoked up the whole house pretty much immediately. I thought it was me not drying my steaks enough, maybe it was both. How do you dry your steaks? The OP just says you should. I rubbed in some salt about 10 minutes before I cooked it, since I didn't realize I was supposed to dry it out until then.

The steak came out pretty well, considering it was my first time making a steak. I need to remember to put a lot of salt and pepper on, I would have drastically underseasoned it if my fiancee hadn't told me to put more salt on.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Not what I'm saying at all. I'm literally saying that people have terrible opinions in how to cook.

I'm an overly-sensitive man-child, I suppose. Sorry.

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well holy poo poo. I'd never thought of that. Can anyone vouch for this one? I did the olive oil prep and smoked up the whole house pretty much immediately. I thought it was me not drying my steaks enough, maybe it was both. How do you dry your steaks? The OP just says you should. I rubbed in some salt about 10 minutes before I cooked it, since I didn't realize I was supposed to dry it out until then.

The steak came out pretty well, considering it was my first time making a steak. I need to remember to put a lot of salt and pepper on, I would have drastically underseasoned it if my fiancee hadn't told me to put more salt on.

I'd highly recommend against using (Don't ever use) Olive Oil to fry stuff at any temperature hotter than 300F. It's smoke point is just above that and it'll get a burnt rancid taste. Better to treat olive oil like butter, and use it for flavor nearer the end (or low temp stuff). I'd use peanut or safflower oil for frying poo poo. Or bacon grease or lard, which are AMAZING for that stuff.

The thing you'll have to watch out for with bacon fat is that it's already got some salt and stuff in it, so just know that it can make not as an amazing season on cast iron (but still pretty fine, don't stress). Taste-wise, you probably won't notice unless it's some super delicate dish. Bacon fat forever :madmax::respek::911::respek::ese:

Salting steaks should be done either 30+ minutes before cooking, or RIGHT throwing it into the pan. The issue is that salt will pull moisture out and if you salt before it has time to reabsorb you'll be steaming the poo poo out of the steak in the beginning (or dessicate parts of it - I'm making this part up but it sounds logical).

Drifter fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 24, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

So if I want to salt it in a way that it doesn't pull all the moisture out, how do I dry the steak?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

You should always pat your steak dry before cooking in order to get the driest surface. You can go a step further and toss your steaks on a rack and let them hang out in the fridge overnight.

Drifter posted:

The thing you'll have to watch out for with bacon fat is that it's already got some salt and stuff in it, so just know that it can make not as an amazing season on cast iron (but still pretty fine, don't stress).

Wait, what?

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Wait, what?

The salt and other impurities from rendering your own bacon fat can leave the finish a little spotty if you're re-seasoning or working on a soft season.

On the other hand, I have all this bacon fat I rendered and it's freeeeeeee

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

That sounds extremely spergy and dumb. It's a hunk of fuckin iron. Just cook with the thing.

ColHannibal
Sep 17, 2007

Paper With Lines posted:

I've never burned the butter when I use it to make steak. You add it towards the end, it isn't the primary oil.

It yields a tasty steak, to each their own but butter works.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Casu Marzu posted:

That sounds extremely spergy and dumb. It's a hunk of fuckin iron. Just cook with the thing.

Just like with everything, it's good to know what goes on. Nowhere has it been said that it's not an acceptable thing. You've seen photos here where people have spent days putting a season on. it's just something to know, dude.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Casu Marzu posted:

You should always pat your steak dry before cooking in order to get the driest surface. You can go a step further and toss your steaks on a rack and let them hang out in the fridge overnight.

Pat them dry with a paper towel then? Or does it need to be cloth for some reason?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Pat them dry with a paper towel then? Or does it need to be cloth for some reason?

I just use paper towel.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Casu Marzu posted:

Didn't someone post some insane 6-part reseasoning method that took DAYS to do and if you messed up the temperature at any point it was recommended that you strip it all and start from scratch?

Just fair warning is all. I've found seasoning with bacon drippings to be a little spotty, and particularly soft right out the oven. I've switched to spray canola for reseasoning, and conditioning. Loads more convenient, very even coverage, hard to mess up, and if you re season on an open grill like I do, you get BALLS OF FLAME (which is probably also loving up the seasoning somehow).

Almost all of my COOKING is done in bacon drippings though. Cant beat the flavor and price for low to medium heat.

Also, I use paper towels for patting meat to dry. I hate to not use reusable stuff, but c'mon. It's meat. Let's not go into the danger zone.

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Mar 24, 2015

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Well, poo poo. I just read back farther in the thread. The steaks I just cooked for dinner were Costco steaks. They came out more medium than I intended so I'm probably safe. If I stop posting, know I died doing what I loved: eating a pound of meat in one sitting.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
If your steak isn't more than 1% of your body weight, then you shouldn't be eating any steak. :colbert:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

When it comes to cast iron and steaking in my apartment, i quickly learned you don't have to have your burners on full-gently caress-off-power where it smokes your apartment out.

I go with medium heat, doesn't make a hot spot in my pan and with a little bit of oil you're going to get a drat fine crust.

bombhand
Jun 27, 2004

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Well, poo poo. I just read back farther in the thread. The steaks I just cooked for dinner were Costco steaks. They came out more medium than I intended so I'm probably safe. If I stop posting, know I died doing what I loved: eating a pound of meat in one sitting.
I'm fairly certain that loads and loads of people eat mechanically-tenderized meat rare and that ultimately your chances of getting sick from it are low. But they're a lot higher than if you ate an unmolested piece of meat, so it's better to avoid it.

I hope you are not now dead or spilling your guts into a toilet.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Drifter posted:

If your steak isn't more than 1% of your body weight, then you shouldn't be eating any steak. :colbert:

I'm on a diet.

If I was spilling my guts in a toilet right now, it would be related to this cold, not the steak.

I think we're going to make more tonight. I hadn't thought of asking for a smaller portion from the meat guys for some reason. We ended up getting slightly less than four pounds, and my fiancee barely eats anything. So we're either freezing this or eating it for the next couple of days.

But hey, this was $8.99/lb, and most grocery stores around here are $10.99-11.99 for new york strip. And the whole thing turned out much better than expected for not having made a proper steak ever. This time my goal is not smoking up the entire house.

edit: Made another for dinner. This time on a propane grill. It got a little burnt. I did notice a lot of flames coming from fat dripping down onto the hot propane-blocker thing. Is that the likely culprit, or did I just overcook it? I could believe either. If it is the flames, how do I prevent that (aside from just doing it in a pan)?

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Mar 25, 2015

litany of gulps
Jun 11, 2001

Fun Shoe

22 Eargesplitten posted:

edit: Made another for dinner. This time on a propane grill. It got a little burnt. I did notice a lot of flames coming from fat dripping down onto the hot propane-blocker thing. Is that the likely culprit, or did I just overcook it? I could believe either. If it is the flames, how do I prevent that (aside from just doing it in a pan)?

Are you sure that your "propane-blocker" isn't actually a vaporizer bar, which is intended to vaporize fat drippings to add flavor to your food?

Edit: Cook it for less time if the heat is too high. If the heat is wayyyy high, sear it on the grill to get a crust and finish it in the oven to cook to desired internal temperature.

Thoht
Aug 3, 2006

Was the fat from the beef itself or did you oil it? A little flare-up is ok but if you see a large persistent flame beneath it you should move the steak. Some cuts just drip a lot of fat and it's something you have to keep a constant eye on.

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I didn't oil it at all, I knew that would cause problems. It was a New York strip, maybe au should have moved it around once the flames really started coming up.

I'm not sure if it was a vaporizer bar, it's like a house roof over where the propane flames come out.

Edit: looking at vaporizer bars on Google, it looks like it might be one. I guess next time I might just turn down the heat. I never used the grill before. I was making the steak at my in-laws, my mother-in-law said to keep it on high. Probably shouldn't have listened to her.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 15:28 on Mar 26, 2015

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I didn't oil it at all, I knew that would cause problems. It was a New York strip, maybe au should have moved it around once the flames really started coming up.

I'm not sure if it was a vaporizer bar, it's like a house roof over where the propane flames come out.

Edit: looking at vaporizer bars on Google, it looks like it might be one. I guess next time I might just turn down the heat. I never used the grill before. I was making the steak at my in-laws, my mother-in-law said to keep it on high. Probably shouldn't have listened to her.

Yeah she has no god drat idea how to grill. Here's a pretty idiot-proof super basic wikihow, except the part about marinating. Do not marinate a New York Strip or other prime cut, it does not need it. Instead, lightly salt the meat a few minutes before grilling, then pat it dry with a fresh paper towel, you want the surface of the meat as dry as possible for superior cooking. Maybe pick up an instant read probe thermometer (it does not have to be an expensive one). Also remember, the internal temperature of cooked meat rises as it rests, so take it off 5 degrees before the optimal doneness. After a rest, you will have perfect steak.

http://www.wikihow.com/Grill

Suspect Bucket fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Mar 26, 2015

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
You want to dry it off, salt and cook immediately or salt and let it rest for at least 40 minutes.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
This is actually from last August, but maybe it's new to some of you like it was to me: Chef Grills Steak, Volcano-Style, With Molten Lava

Obviously done more for fun and the coolness factor than anything else.

xergm
Sep 8, 2009

The Moon is for Sissies!

BraveUlysses posted:

You want to dry it off, salt and cook immediately or salt and let it rest for at least 40 minutes.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

If I remember, I usually salt it the night before and let them set in the fridge. They're usually fairly dry when I finally use them and hardly need a pat down.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

xergm posted:

If I remember, I usually salt it the night before and let them set in the fridge. They're usually fairly dry when I finally use them and hardly need a pat down.

Hell yeah, that's from the steak's outer layers drying out while exposed to air in the fridge, which leads to a bangin' crust. Keep fighting the good fight.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
I do the same, but I also add a couple pinches of baking soda to facilitate the maillard reaction.

ejstheman
Feb 11, 2004

ShadowCatboy posted:

I do the same, but I also add a couple pinches of baking soda to facilitate the maillard reaction.

Huh, I've never heard that before. Does the baking soda participate in the reaction directly, or just catalyze it?

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
New Kenji post on how to grill a steak. Nothing new but nice all the same. He's still all about the reverse seer.

http://www.seriouseats.com/2015/05/food-lab-how-to-grill-steak-cuts-of-steak-marbling-salting-charcoal-technique-resting-tips.html

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

ejstheman posted:

Huh, I've never heard that before. Does the baking soda participate in the reaction directly, or just catalyze it?

It lowers the pH. http://blog.khymos.org/2012/06/04/maximizing-food-flavor-by-speeding-up-the-maillard-reaction/

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Shouldn't it raise the pH? :v:

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Casu Marzu posted:

Shouldn't it raise the pH? :v:
Yes. Yes it should.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paper With Lines
Aug 21, 2013

The snozzberries taste like snozzberries!
Oh heyyyyyyyyyyy guys. Long time no see.

I reverse seared some skirt steaks by using my weber to both smoke them during the reverse part and the sear part.

do it.

it owns.

• Locked thread