Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Stalizard posted:

I just did a steak in a beer cooler, it was the easiest thing I ever did. I used a two dollar dial type thermometer I got from a restaurant supply store. I stuck it in a lovely styrofoam cooler I got for three dollars from the grocery store. It was the easiest thing I ever cooked. I submerged the thermometer, it still works.

I put two ribeyes in, about 1.75 pounds total meat. Threw in a rack that they leaned against so they stood up, more or less. Hardest part was getting the water up to temp, I overestimated how hot it comes out the tap. Check every 15 mins or so to make sure it's around ~130. If it isn't, heat some back up. Leave for 45 minutes or so. Pat dry, sear, rest.

If you insist on eating a chuck steak, this is among the best ways to prepare it. Consider leaving it for an hour or more to render some of the fat; it won't overcook.

It works for every meat, although time and temp vary by animal and cut.

edit: I cannot overstate how simple this was and how delicious the steak was as a result.

I have leftover steaks from when I bought a cow. I have a lovely styrofoam cooler leftover. I think it's time I finally try this sous-vide thingy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Doom Rooster
Sep 3, 2008

Pillbug
I actually really like doing Chuck Steak in my SV setup. I do 138 for 24 hours. It comes out with a texture kind of like filet, but is super beefy. You could do it for like an hour, and it would be moist, but it would probably be really chewy, since you don't give time for connective tissue to break down.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Hollis posted:

Oh wow, what kind of thermotator is that thy are using? Also, what type of blowtorch. Don't see any information on the page. I will definitely do this.

Is it safe to put more than one steak in there? Like in the cooler?

Also, has anyone else done this ?

What about Lamb etc.. I'm assuming it's okay to use for other meats like fish etc..

How would this work with a "inferior" cut of meat like say Chuck STeak?

Cause Chuck steak is cheap and I am wondering if it has an effect on the meat if I cook it with this method.

I've done the beer cooler method lots of times. I think I lost 1c of temp in 45 minutes, so it was really easy to keep the temperature stable. Just add hot water, stir, check the temp, add some more, stir etc.
If you put more steaks in, you're getting more heat loss in the water, but as long as you keep an eye on it, it's no hassle.
It's completely safe but I wouldn't do more than 4 hour puddles with it.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Here's how I cooked a steak this week. I started with two 18oz. ribeyes, and I vacuum sealed them. I then sous-vided them for an hour at 49C (120F).

After sous vide I blotted them with paper towels and lightly singed them with a MAPP Pro torch:

Then I plopped them into a 500F cast iron skillet for 60s a side:

After that I put some butter on top, fresh black pepper and tented under foil for 5m to rest before eating:

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Using a torch to dehydrate the sides pre-sear is a VERY cool idea. Super super neato.

Inovius
Apr 7, 2010

Hollis posted:

Is there anyway to sous vide a steak without having to invest in all that equipment, basically is there a cheat for it?> I don't got the money to invest in that :(

This isn't out just yet but it's another option that just popped up the other day. Serious Eats seems to like it as well.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/seattlefoodgeek/sansaire-sous-vide-circulator-for-199

http://www.seriouseats.com/2013/08/...8SeriousEats%29

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
I've already posted this in a couple other threads but here's a $100 sous vide solution (you also need a $20 slow cooker)

http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

No Wave posted:

Using a torch to dehydrate the sides pre-sear is a VERY cool idea. Super super neato.

Yeah, that sear is...searious.

Korwen
Feb 26, 2003

don't mind me, I'm just out hunting.

Steve Yun posted:

I've already posted this in a couple other threads but here's a $100 sous vide solution (you also need a $20 slow cooker)

http://www.amazon.com/DorkFood-DSV-Temperature-Controller-Sous-vide/dp/B0088OTON4

I'm glad I have 4 weeks before I have to commit but yeah, you just made me spend $200 in the future.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The torch isn't that helpful. I think you can get 99% of that sear without it, I wanted to try it out.

I throw my cast iron in the oven at 500F and let it sit there for 30 minutes or so to make sure it's all the same temp and evenly heated.

Then a couple drops of canola oil rubbed on to each side of the steak to make sure it releases quickly enough and off you go.

Modus Man
Jun 8, 2004

Soiled Meat
I tried a "flat iron" for the first time. The local grocery store in town had some ~8oz 1" thick steaks for $2 ea. I marinated it in teriyaki for a few hours then threw it right on my gas grill on high. 4 minutes per side and some fresh ground black pepper and sea salt. I think I hit the medium rare mark spot on. Sliced it against the grain and it was melt-in-your-mouth tender and incredibly flavorful. I will be eating a lot more of these cheap steaks in the future.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Flat iron is the very best of the "butcher's cuts". Even if they were the same price I'd take it over rib-eye.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Lucky bastard. Around here, flatiron is fashionable enough that it's no longer a cheap cut of meat. I mean, it's still not an expensive cut, but I miss when I could pick up a pack of top blade steaks for less than the cost of hamburger. Now they label top-blade steaks as flatiron without even cutting them properly, and charge full price. :argh:

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!
This is going to sound dumb but how do I dry my steak in the fridge? I'm not talking about aging but just letting some moisture evaporate for a few hours. Do I wrap it up in a paper towel? Set it on a cooling rack? Or can I just put it on a plate and pop it in the fridge?

e: Also everybody says to use a cast iron skillet but this house doesn't have one and I'm moving soonish so I'm not going to buy one yet but we do have an enameled dutch oven. Can I just sear/cook my steak with the flipping like crazy method using that? It's definitely the heaviest thing in the kitchen. (On a side note, it's a Le Creuset that belonged to a housemate's grandmother, and holy poo poo the price when I looked it up.)

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Aug 29, 2013

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Boris Galerkin posted:

This is going to sound dumb but how do I dry my steak in the fridge? I'm not talking about aging but just letting some moisture evaporate for a few hours. Do I wrap it up in a paper towel? Set it on a cooling rack? Or can I just put it on a plate and pop it in the fridge?
Cooling rack is best so that top and bottom both dry.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Nevermimd

Steve Yun fucked around with this message at 23:49 on Aug 31, 2013

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Boris Galerkin posted:

e: Also everybody says to use a cast iron skillet but this house doesn't have one and I'm moving soonish so I'm not going to buy one yet but we do have an enameled dutch oven. Can I just sear/cook my steak with the flipping like crazy method using that? It's definitely the heaviest thing in the kitchen. (On a side note, it's a Le Creuset that belonged to a housemate's grandmother, and holy poo poo the price when I looked it up.)

The dutch oven will be tough to handle since you can't get a spatula angled properly to lift it, but it can work if you're careful.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Spatula? Just use tongs.

marshalljim
Mar 6, 2013

yospos
You could use a screwdriver. Just be careful not to mar that $150 enamel.

The high walls are going to make things at the bottom of the pot a little moister than if you were using a frying pan. Probably not enough to notice unless you are cooking on an especially low-powered hot plate, though. Use the dutch oven.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

marshalljim posted:

You could use a screwdriver. Just be careful not to mar that $150 enamel.

If you can chip enamel with some tongs just by flipping a steak then :golfclap: to you sir.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

but we do have an enameled dutch oven. Can I just sear/cook my steak

I don't think you're supposed to heat an empty enameled dutch oven on high heat. That's always been my understanding, anyway.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Here is how you do it:

Cook onions in a cast iron skillet with butter.

Dry steak

Lightly salt with calcium carbonate

Turn the heat up to absolute maximum

Throw away onions (or keep them for fun!)

EXPOSE THE STEAK TO THE RAW HEAT!

FLIP THE STEAK

Philly rare

Yes.

Rest it for a bit, add salt and pepper.

EAT IT

Good crust, but still raw on the inside, the way God intended.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Shbobdb posted:

Here is how you do it:

Cook onions in a cast iron skillet with butter.

Dry steak

Lightly salt with calcium carbonate

Turn the heat up to absolute maximum

Throw away onions (or keep them for fun!)

EXPOSE THE STEAK TO THE RAW HEAT!

FLIP THE STEAK

Philly rare

Yes.

Rest it for a bit, add salt and pepper.

EAT IT

Good crust, but still raw on the inside, the way God intended.

1) Who likes cold steak?
2) Why would you rest your steak in this case, because it's still cold?
3) Good job monkeycheesing making a steak I guess.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
Dude, is good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_rare

All the good flavor of the milliard reaction with all the flavor and texture of raw steak.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I like black and blue for tenderloin, but for more marbled cuts I strongly prefer rare to medium rare, so the fat has a chance to relax.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

I like my tenderloin cold smoked and sliced thin, no sear/marks thanks.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

Shbobdb posted:

Dude, is good:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pittsburgh_rare

All the good flavor of the milliard reaction with all the flavor and texture of raw steak.

The meat needs a bit of warmth to get the juices flowing atleast. I like rare tenderloins and stuff, but fattier and rougher cuts of meats needs more heats.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Chemmy posted:

The torch isn't that helpful. I think you can get 99% of that sear without it, I wanted to try it out.

Did you use actual real MAPP or did i misread? Seems overkill to sear meat with something you can repair the underside of a battleship with while it's at sea.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)
Yeah, the cooks and chefs here use MAPP (pro)

I don't know what you are talking about with regards to using MAPP for repairing ships at sea. MAPP by itself (with just air), is useless for soldering anything bigger than 1" copper pipe, and they do a pretty messy average job at that, depending on heat soak.
I used to be in HVAC and I got the oxygen tank and acetylene/LPG/MAPP out for any big jobs. Without pressurized oxygen it doesn't burn hot enough for big jobs.

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Sep 8, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Filboid Studge posted:

Did you use actual real MAPP or did i misread? Seems overkill to sear meat with something you can repair the underside of a battleship with while it's at sea.

Well, they don't make MAPP (and it's super poisonous) so I used MAPP Pro, but yes.

I used to use a propane Bernzomatic torch and it just doesn't get you a good sear. The MAPP is better but still not what I had in mind so I use the torch to dry the surface of the meat really quickly. My thinking is that I have two tools that do slightly different things.

The torch is super hot, but doesn't have much mass behind it; it can dry meat and it can sear the outside if you're patient but I'm not. The cast iron pan isn't as hot but has a lot of mass and good flat surface contact on its side, so I dry the steak with the torch real quick and then sear it off in the pan.

To be honest you can skip the torch, I like to play around with things and obviously if you have company over there's a certain dramatic flair when you pull out a blowtorch to work on dinner, but this is supposed to be the "Art of Medium Rare Meats" and so going way overboard seemed like the right idea.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
I tried making steak for the first time tonight and it actually turned out alright. I have some left over and with an anniversary coming up on Monday and not being able to take my girlfriend to a $100 dinner, I was going to make steak for her since she loves steak. This time I want to do something more than just the salt & pepper seasoning I did earlier, so what are some of your favorite things to rub on a steak before cooking it? Again I'm on a budget but I already own most spices/seasonings that you normally find in a good kitchen.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

I stick with salt and pepper as long as I have decent meat.

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
What kind of cut is it and how thick?

My favorite cut is ribeye, about 1.5" thick. You really don't need anything but salt and pepper.

Though I am going to buy some and try marinading them in reduced milk before patting dry and cooking sous vide. I wanna see if I can possibly squeeze more cow in there somehow.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ShadowCatboy posted:

Though I am going to buy some and try marinading them in reduced milk before patting dry and cooking sous vide. I wanna see if I can possibly squeeze more cow in there somehow.

The gently caress?

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Experimentin', dude. It's the same process that led me to discover how to make shittons of brown butter and such.

Astronaut Jones
Oct 18, 2007
Destination Moon

Casu Marzu posted:

The gently caress?

Personally, I like my milk steak boiled over hard, with a side of jelly beans served raw.

BlueGrot
Jun 26, 2010

The milk solids will burn when searing. Not cool.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

I mean, experimenting is good, but usually you have a basis for it rather than making like a 6 year old and making potions out of dirt, water and clay in the sandbox. You're not going to get anything good or interesting out of a milk-marinated steak.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

ShadowCatboy posted:

This will be terrible. Don't do this. If you want to do something "different" SV your steak with a T of clarified butter in the bag, a sprig of thyme, and a garlic clove

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

This will be terrible. Don't do this. If you want to do something "different" SV your steak with a T of clarified butter in the bag, a sprig of thyme, and a garlic clove

s-v fresh garlic is kind of funky, i'd do powdered instead. Also wrap the thyme in plastic wrap, cut off the edges so it's just the size of the thyme, then throw that in there too to avoid SUPER THYME spots.

• Locked thread