Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Ghee is basically the liquid leftovers from when you make brown butter. I recommend using a whisk and stirring the simmering butter as it cooks and the solids brown, so the delicious brown stuff doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Brown butter is fantastic for caramels and other dessert sauces, and it's also great paired with savory elements. Traditionally you use some sage with brown butter and serve it with butternut squash.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

ShadowCatboy posted:

Ghee is basically the liquid leftovers from when you make brown butter. I recommend using a whisk and stirring the simmering butter as it cooks and the solids brown, so the delicious brown stuff doesn't get stuck to the bottom of the pan.

Brown butter is fantastic for caramels and other dessert sauces, and it's also great paired with savory elements. Traditionally you use some sage with brown butter and serve it with butternut squash.

The last time I tried to make browned butter, lots of the browned bits stuck to the sides of my saucier and I was never sure of when to take it off the heat. Is there a video out there that shows the complete method for making browned butter from start to finish? Also, how brown is "brown"?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

TATPants posted:

The last time I tried to make browned butter, lots of the browned bits stuck to the sides of my saucier and I was never sure of when to take it off the heat. Is there a video out there that shows the complete method for making browned butter from start to finish? Also, how brown is "brown"?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TcQbIuoC3PA

Brown is as brown as you want it. Light beer. Golden tan. Bread crust. Amber.
Things happen quickly at the end, so be prepared to strain it as soon as you need to - you want to get the toastables away from your liquid asap. Don't let it sit, and keep the heat low throughout.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Mar 9, 2014

TATPants
Mar 28, 2011

Drifter posted:

Brown is as brown as you want it. Light beer. Golden tan. Bread crust. Amber.
Things happen quickly at the end, so be prepared to strain it as soon as you need to - you want to get the toastables away from your liquid asap. Don't let it sit, and keep the heat low throughout.

Well that video explains a lot - I never got to the second foam stage at all. Thanks for the video

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
Personally I just keep whisking once the butter starts to foam. This also helps reincorporate the foamy milky components back into the oil and gets it to cook through as well. Whisking also helps keep the solids from sticking.

I generally take the pan off the heat once the solids start to turn a peanut-shell color. The residual heat from the pan will continue to cook the butter until it takes on a more rusty hue. You don't want it to get darker than that.

EDIT: Yeah looking at that video I would still prefer to whisk. Like I said, it reincorporates all the foam so by the end of the cooking process there's none, and the solids are loose and not stuck to the pan. Might not be as good for a pure solid-free ghee, but it's great for making brown butter solids for sauces.

ShadowCatboy fucked around with this message at 07:42 on Mar 9, 2014

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!
I know it's not hard to make steak but gently caress me if I succeeded in making something good yet.
I recently bought a cast iron pan and the GF said "I don't want to be a downer but this is not as good as the regular steak we make in a lovely pan". Of course I'm on a quest to prove her wrong because STEAK. :argh:

I think my problem was that the cast iron was not warm enough. I cooked some potatoes before the steak so it was already kinda warm but I did not let it go for long enough. Also my second error was that I added canola oil directly at the beginning which resulted in a shitload of smoke and I kinda got scared.

Also I'm from Europe so we do not call stuff the same I think. I used entrecôte which I believe are ribeye steak but they were not that thick. Next time I'll get one from the butcher instead of the supermarket to get it slightly thicker (~ 2cm seems good? or even thicker?).
I will put oil directly on the steak as opposed to the pan and get it hotter.
And also I think I will flip more often instead of just once so that I can get a feel for the crust forming and probe the steak to learn where rare/medium rare is. Or maybe I should get one of these thermapen?

Is there anything else? gently caress me it's steak, why can't I get the great steak I see posted in here, I feel like only half a man :eng99:

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
Go for 3.5 centimeters or more.

Get the cast iron screaming hot first, then put in the oil (I like grapeseed).

Get the oil hot, there should be smoking (open windows, fans going, exhaust etc).

Throw the steak in (salt the steak first), flip every 15-20 seconds. Do this for a minute or two.

Throw in couple knobs of butter, spoon over steak to finish it.

Take out of pan and let it rest for at least 5-10 minutes.

Doomy
Oct 19, 2004

This is a really novice question, but what do you do with the rest of the solids? That's the brown butter, and the ghee is the liquid that separates?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Doomy posted:

This is a really novice question, but what do you do with the rest of the solids? That's the brown butter, and the ghee is the liquid that separates?

There are two parts to it, like you mentioned. The ghee is the remaining oil, the browned stuff is milk solids. Personally, I just pour the pot holding everything through a strainer, the oil that pours through the mesh is the ghee that I store, and the stuff that gets caught I put in a small little dish. Because there's still a little of the ghee itself (unless you press the poo poo out of the solids while you're straining) in with the solids, it'll firm up and still behave like normal butter. And I mix that with garlic or ginger and a little salt, then put small spoonfuls of that into rice or vegetables as a smokey, buttery flavoring. You could also not mix it into anything and spread it on bread.

Or you could accidentally burn it because you kept the heat too high making the ghee and just throw it away.
:human being:

Drifter fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Apr 23, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Le0 posted:

I know it's not hard to make steak but gently caress me if I succeeded in making something good yet.
I recently bought a cast iron pan and the GF said "I don't want to be a downer but this is not as good as the regular steak we make in a lovely pan". Of course I'm on a quest to prove her wrong because STEAK. :argh:

I think my problem was that the cast iron was not warm enough. I cooked some potatoes before the steak so it was already kinda warm but I did not let it go for long enough. Also my second error was that I added canola oil directly at the beginning which resulted in a shitload of smoke and I kinda got scared.

Also I'm from Europe so we do not call stuff the same I think. I used entrecôte which I believe are ribeye steak but they were not that thick. Next time I'll get one from the butcher instead of the supermarket to get it slightly thicker (~ 2cm seems good? or even thicker?).
I will put oil directly on the steak as opposed to the pan and get it hotter.
And also I think I will flip more often instead of just once so that I can get a feel for the crust forming and probe the steak to learn where rare/medium rare is. Or maybe I should get one of these thermapen?

Is there anything else? gently caress me it's steak, why can't I get the great steak I see posted in here, I feel like only half a man :eng99:

Canola oil has a pretty low smoke point so I wouldn't use that for searing. Bacon fat's worked really well for me. Its smoke point is only a bit higher, but it also imparts a sliiight baconey richness to the steak.

Oiling the steak is perfectly fine, though I'd add just a splash of oil to the pan right before searing too, using a silicone spatula to spread it around a bit.

2 cm is way too thin. Definitely go for 3.5 cm minimum.

Flipping often is perfectly fine. Just remember to rest it after searing. If you wanna get a really good crust, dust the steak in a little baking soda a while before searing and pop it in the fridge on a cake rack to dry the exterior a bit.

Le0
Mar 18, 2009

Rotten investigator!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Canola oil has a pretty low smoke point so I wouldn't use that for searing. Bacon fat's worked really well for me. Its smoke point is only a bit higher, but it also imparts a sliiight baconey richness to the steak.

Oiling the steak is perfectly fine, though I'd add just a splash of oil to the pan right before searing too, using a silicone spatula to spread it around a bit.

2 cm is way too thin. Definitely go for 3.5 cm minimum.

Flipping often is perfectly fine. Just remember to rest it after searing. If you wanna get a really good crust, dust the steak in a little baking soda a while before searing and pop it in the fridge on a cake rack to dry the exterior a bit.

Thanks. What oil would you recommend then? This list shows that Canola oil with high Oleic content has quite a high smoke point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point) I have no clue if I have high Oleic content tho...

EDIT: You just suggested bacon fat... Sorry I'm still asleep

Le0 fucked around with this message at 07:10 on Apr 24, 2014

ShadowCatboy
Jan 22, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Le0 posted:

Thanks. What oil would you recommend then? This list shows that Canola oil with high Oleic content has quite a high smoke point (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smoke_point) I have no clue if I have high Oleic content tho...

Just looking at the chart, clarified butter seems to have a high smoke point. Plus you'd get delicious brown butter bits when you make it. Yum!

Just make the clarified butter and pour off the oil, and reserve the browned bits for something else. I said it before, but whisk the butter as you brown it to reincorporate the foam.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...

Le0 posted:

Grapeseed.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!
Can someone recommend me a simple, fool-proof steak recipe I can do in an apartment. I love steak but can't cook worth a poo poo and my apartment won't allow a grill. I have a stove/oven and some standard non-stick pans.

*Looks like I should go buy a cast iron skillet.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Hughmoris posted:

Can someone recommend me a simple, fool-proof steak recipe I can do in an apartment. I love steak but can't cook worth a poo poo and my apartment won't allow a grill. I have a stove/oven and some standard non-stick pans.

*Looks like I should go buy a cast iron skillet.

get a cast iron pan, and a thick fatty ribeye steak.
pat your steak dry with paper towels, and let it sit out at room temperature. put your cast iron on your stove, and turn it on high heat.
walk away for 15 minutes.
come back, liberally salt your steak with kosher salt (to the point where you think to yourself 'oh, that's way too much salt').
slap your steak down on to the cast iron. don't touch it - walk away.
come back 5 minutes later.
flip your steak, after 2 minutes take its temperature.
if it's the correct thickness steak, it should be about 110-120 deg.
let it go a minute more if needed, pull it onto a plate and tent with foil.
walk away for 10 minutes.
slice against the grain and eat your poo poo.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

mindphlux posted:

get a cast iron pan, and a thick fatty ribeye steak.
pat your steak dry with paper towels, and let it sit out at room temperature. put your cast iron on your stove, and turn it on high heat.
walk away for 15 minutes.
come back, liberally salt your steak with kosher salt (to the point where you think to yourself 'oh, that's way too much salt').
slap your steak down on to the cast iron. don't touch it - walk away.
come back 5 minutes later.
flip your steak, after 2 minutes take its temperature.
if it's the correct thickness steak, it should be about 110-120 deg.
let it go a minute more if needed, pull it onto a plate and tent with foil.
walk away for 10 minutes.
slice against the grain and eat your poo poo.

Thanks. I'm headed to the store in the morning and will try this out.

Do I need to put any oil on the cast iron?

Hughmoris fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 5, 2014

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

Hughmoris posted:

Do I need to put any oil on the cast iron?

Yes, it will help with the crust. Give your pan a generous coating of canola or vegetable oil. And get a screen that fits over your pan so you don't get grease ALL OVER YOUR APARTMENT. That poo poo gets everywhere.

If you don't use oil, unhook your smoke detectors. You don't have to, some people like a greasier, crustier steak. You could always cut your steak in two and cook it both ways and see what both ways are like.

blacquethoven
Nov 29, 2003
why are some of you heating your pan in your oven, it seems to me that it would heat much faster over high on the stove top.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

blacquethoven posted:

why are some of you heating your pan in your oven, it seems to me that it would heat much faster over high on the stove top.

What? Who is suggesting heating their pan in the oven? Like every post in this thread says to put it on the stove on the highest heat and let it sit there for like 10 minutes until it's ripping hot.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

blacquethoven posted:

I think the idea is that some guides will have you start your steak on the stove (at a very high temperature), and then put your steak in the oven for a few minutes to finish it.

So why not keep the pan in the oven while you're letting it heat up to 500 degrees?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
Made some steaks yesterday using a hybrid method of cast iron searing and grilling.

Steaks and a beer:

Prepped the steaks with some salt and pepper. Oil was added right before the steaks were thrown on the pan.

While I was prepping the rest of the dinner, I lit the grill and threw my cast iron skillet in it till it was plenty hot.

When everything was thoroughly preheated, I took out the pan and placed it on the lit side burner, which rarely ever gets used except for making bacon for burgers. Once the pan was out, I closed the lid to keep the grill extra hot.

I then dropped the oiled steaks on the pan for about 2 minutes per side. At this point, the pan was definitely hotter than 550degF. When flipping them, I made sure to flip them on to an unused portion of the pan where the temperature was hotter than where the steaks were pre-flip.

After the other side was seared (~2 more minutes, appoximately 4-5 minutes total cook time so far), I flipped it back over to the original seared side and placed just the steaks inside the extra hot grill.

When I placed the steaks in the grill, I noted the temperature at which they entered, ~80degF. The way I like to make steaks is the moment after the sear is my "start temperature" and I take the difference between the final desired temperature (~122degF) and subtract the start and divide by 2. This temperature is the temperature at which I make my final flip (flipped to the 2nd seared side). I dont know if this does anything, but its the way I like to cook them.

I took the steaks out at 122ish, tented them, and let them rest. Final temperature only cooked up to about 133, which is normal for me when I'm cooking a steak this thick (2.25" tenderloin).

Red and just warm enough in the middle. Definitely rare to medium rare.

atothesquiz fucked around with this message at 17:25 on May 6, 2014

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
How was that uncooked bacon?

atothesquiz
Aug 31, 2004
It was delicious.

DrPain
Apr 29, 2004

Purrfectly priceless
items here.
I made these for my father-in-law's birthday last night and was told this thread would appreciate my work.

3/4" cut, bone in, 31 days dry aged, prime ribeyes. Seasoned with salt and pepper, set out at room temperature for however long it took me to drink a few beers and bullshit with her dad, grilled at 600 degrees for 90 seconds per side, with quarter turns at 45 seconds.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

DrPain posted:

I made these for my father-in-law's birthday last night and was told this thread would appreciate my work.

3/4" cut, bone in, 31 days dry aged, prime ribeyes. Seasoned with salt and pepper, set out at room temperature for however long it took me to drink a few beers and bullshit with her dad, grilled at 600 degrees for 90 seconds per side, with quarter turns at 45 seconds.

a.) Your grill wasn't nearly hot enough, there is zero crust on those
b.) No reason to let non-enormous steaks come up to room temp, colder steaks = longer sear time
c.) Good doneness tho, that is a good ribeye color

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm jealous. I never dated a girl who's dad would eat anything less than medium-well.

ThermonuclearTom
Jul 23, 2006

OW
OW
OW
So I was helping out at a UK science festival a few years ago, when I was invited to an event about science and food.
It was presented by a children's tv presenter who did a fairly good presentation. I can't remember everything he did, something involving luminescent marmite....

Anyway. I got to hang out afterwards with some of the scientists and one of them has this idea. Liquid oxygen cooked steak.

So he got some steak, dipped it in crushed Monster Munch (think any generic puffed corn snack), then covered in liquid oxygen.
It was then lit and as you can imagine there was a massive fireball. After we had cleaned the soot off we did have a steak which looked kinda cooked... the guy tried it but said it "needed work".

That was probably one of the manliest cooking demonstrations I ever saw.

Voltage
Sep 4, 2004

MALT LIQUOR!
Cooked my first dry aged ribeye 1.25 inch thick for my friend's birthday, extra rare. Seasoned with salt+pepper and let them sit for ~1-2 hours. I just got a (free) gas grill so I let that fucker get super hot and did them for ~2 minutes on each side.

loving incredible, the fat was the best thing I may have ever tasted.

Sorry for the blurry pics I was literally shaking in anticipation.

Doh004
Apr 22, 2007

Mmmmm Donuts...
would

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
So I have a steak problem, sort of. I tried cooking some steaks (two) in my cast iron skillet tonight. First time trying a skillet. Used a little vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and let my skillet get nice and hot. The moment I put the steaks on, it smoked up to insane levels. I'm talking plumes of smoke that filled our house. I handled it well, and the steaks turned out fine, but what could I do to prevent this?

I used vegetable oil as I thought it had a higher smoke point than olive oil and butter. The steaks were a little lean, so they needed more than their own fat to cook in. What'd I do wrong?

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

QuarkMartial posted:

So I have a steak problem, sort of. I tried cooking some steaks (two) in my cast iron skillet tonight. First time trying a skillet. Used a little vegetable oil, salt, pepper, and let my skillet get nice and hot. The moment I put the steaks on, it smoked up to insane levels. I'm talking plumes of smoke that filled our house. I handled it well, and the steaks turned out fine, but what could I do to prevent this?

I used vegetable oil as I thought it had a higher smoke point than olive oil and butter. The steaks were a little lean, so they needed more than their own fat to cook in. What'd I do wrong?

Buy a really expensive commercial overhead fan. It's gonna happen regardless.

EAT THE EGGS RICOLA
May 29, 2008

If your steaks aren't too thin you can do it on lower heat, but it's going to smoke that much if you do it on superhigh heat.

briefcasefullof
Sep 25, 2004
[This Space for Rent]
I'm renting, so adding a new fan isn't an option. I'll just stick to a lower temperature (or grilling) then. I just do not want to deal with that much smoke at all. Glad to know that I didn't do anything wrong, though! :shobon:

wheez the roux
Aug 2, 2004
THEY SHOULD'VE GIVEN IT TO LYNCH

Death to the Seahawks. Death to Seahawks posters.

QuarkMartial posted:

I'm renting, so adding a new fan isn't an option. I'll just stick to a lower temperature (or grilling) then. I just do not want to deal with that much smoke at all. Glad to know that I didn't do anything wrong, though! :shobon:

I make the entire floor of my apartment building so smokey you can't see the end of the hallway every time I cook steaks :feelsgood:

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer
Love the pictures. I love eating great steaks but suck at cooking them at home. What do you guys think of steak houses like Ruth Chris' or Morton's? Those are my go to places but still, it's nice to eat at home. Cheaper too!

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had a really underwhelming experience at Morton's in Boston but in general I avoid steak houses.

I can cook a better steak at home, when I go out I want something I have a harder time cooking.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

caberham posted:

Love the pictures. I love eating great steaks but suck at cooking them at home. What do you guys think of steak houses like Ruth Chris' or Morton's? Those are my go to places but still, it's nice to eat at home. Cheaper too!

Those places are so loving expensive for what you get. The side dishes are standard fare. They're not bad places, but they're pretty useless if you're even a fledgling stay-at-home steaker.

They're fine, I'm not disparaging them, but there is not a huge disparity between the quality of what they make and what you can make - especially since making steak is as complicated as making pancakes. It's like there's a $30 tax to use those 12000 BTUs or something.

I like to eat at restaurants when I don't know how to prepare the food (and it tastes good).

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
My main gripe is that it's hard to get access to the high quality meats that steakhouses (and restaurants in general) get.

Chef De Cuisinart
Oct 31, 2010

Brandy does in fact, in my experience, contribute to Getting Down.
Find a butcher shop and get it from them, not hard to do.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!
If you're going to go out for an expensive steak you might as well find a good local place IMO.

• Locked thread