Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Just wear the fucking mask, Bob

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

ShadowCatboy posted:

Even pork is safe to eat cooked to medium since we eliminated trichnosis in the States.
But, be warned that it has a different texture than say, rare beef and you might not like it. I have to have my pork at least medium-well :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I don't care how many people I probably infected with COVID-19 while refusing to wear a mask, my comfort is far more important than the health and safety of everyone around me!

I really like the Serious Eats post about pan-seared steaks:

http://www.seriouseats.com/2012/12/the-food-lab-complete-guide-to-pan-seared-steaks.html

It will turn your house into a greasy, stinky mess (I like smelling steak but not for 2 days after cooking one). But it's a great place to start cooking steaks and then you can form your own little opinions about seasoning before/after, drying the steak, letting it come up to room temperature, flipping vs not flipping...

I'm going to buy a couple small ribeyes this week because my brother in law doesn't think you can make a good steak in a pan, but he's a moron who thinks the medium T-Bone from Logan's is the greatest thing on earth and grills his steaks grey on a Coleman camping stove.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

DoctaFun posted:

I love doing steaks on the grill, that may make me a plebe but that's okay :). I heat one side of the grill on high, the other side on medium-low. Put the steaks on the hot side once it's up to heat(usually 450-500 on my grill's thermometer, which is probably wrong). Cook for 80-90 seconds then turn 45 degrees. Cook for another 80-90 seconds then flip and do the same thing on the other side.
Oh, they come out great on the grill as well, he just doesn't think it's possible to make one in the house.

The one thing I don't like about doing steaks on my gas grill is if they aren't real thick you can't get any color on them before you overcook them. I can leave all 4 burners on full blast and it just doesn't put out the heat like a big pile of charcoal will. :q:

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

There's no such thing as 'too much juice'. There is only 'not enough potatoes'

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Hughmoris posted:

Do I need to put any oil on the cast iron?

Yes, it will help with the crust. Give your pan a generous coating of canola or vegetable oil. And get a screen that fits over your pan so you don't get grease ALL OVER YOUR APARTMENT. That poo poo gets everywhere.

If you don't use oil, unhook your smoke detectors. You don't have to, some people like a greasier, crustier steak. You could always cut your steak in two and cook it both ways and see what both ways are like.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

blacquethoven posted:

why are some of you heating your pan in your oven, it seems to me that it would heat much faster over high on the stove top.

I think the idea is that some guides will have you start your steak on the stove (at a very high temperature), and then put your steak in the oven for a few minutes to finish it.

So why not keep the pan in the oven while you're letting it heat up to 500 degrees?

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I'm jealous. I never dated a girl who's dad would eat anything less than medium-well.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Father's day. Had the grill out and got to cook some ribeyes for my dad and uncle to well-done. Fuckers.

My brother and I ate a bunch of rare lamb chops and steaks just to piss them off.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You definitely get a different taste with oil vs no oil. But a lot of people will use too much heat in the pan when cooking a dry steak and instead of grill marks you'll get a the entire surface 'grilled' which can be odd-tasting.

I use a touch of oil either on the steak or in the pan. Plus you can baste with that oil as well.

Too much oil and you'll get a 'fried' steak which again can be another taste you are looking for or not looking for, and you can also end up with a 'greasy' steak if you use too much oil or it's not hot enough.

Of course on a real grill you can't use oil other than seasoning the grates, or a little bit on the steak. Too much and you get flare ups, and the flames from an oil fire kissing your meat does not make a good steak.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Paper With Lines posted:

Still though, looks like a pretty well marbled chunk of meat.

Yes, very nice. The steak looks good but please tell me the asparagus isn't limp.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

Le0 posted:

Guys I need advice.
Yesterday I did some steak. It was a bone-in ribeye (what we call Côte de boeuf here).

Here is what I did:

That's pretty much what I do. My apartment has an electric stove and I use a cast iron pan, or sometimes I use a calphalon griddle pan. Comes out incredible.

If you're getting char marks use more oil.

I don't have a thermometer but I prefer a nice marbled ribeye, and I shoot for a hair past medium-rare just make sure the fat all breaks down. I'll eat a loving raw steak without any problems, I just like a fatty cut cooked a little bit more.

If it was too rare for you, give it another 30 seconds on each side.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

I have ordered steaks 'black and blue' before and ended up with a steak covered in bleu cheese. Not the end of the world but make sure they know what you're talking about when you order. This was in the south maybe they don't roll that way down there.

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

You can fry up a ribeye steak pretty good with olive oil on medium heat

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

ShadowCatboy posted:

Bacon fat is p much the only thing I'll sear my steaks in.

And burgers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bob Morales
Aug 18, 2006

When it comes to cast iron and steaking in my apartment, i quickly learned you don't have to have your burners on full-gently caress-off-power where it smokes your apartment out.

I go with medium heat, doesn't make a hot spot in my pan and with a little bit of oil you're going to get a drat fine crust.

• Locked thread