Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

You should also always cook a steak that's come up to temp. A cold steak is going to drop pan temp and cause vapor pooling, and you won't get that perfect crust. My preferred method for steaks is to sear them off and finish in the oven if I'm doing a dinner party.

Modernist Cuisine suggests putting a frozen steak in a low oven and searing after for presentation, I don't think there are a lot of hard and fast rules for steaks.

I like my steak closer to rare, so generally I'll sear a cold steak in a screaming hot cast iron pan for about 30s a side until it builds a nice crust, followed by a 5 minute rest under foil.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

How is it not practical? You sear a frozen steak so it doesn't get overcooked while you work on the crust and then throw it in a low oven. It's a workaround for people without immersion circulators.

http://modernistcuisine.com/recipes/low-temp-oven-steak/

Chemmy fucked around with this message at 04:18 on May 13, 2013

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

But they say it works fine with steaks that are frozen solid.

I buy steaks in bulk and vacuum bag them and then freeze. When I want some I drop the frozen bags into the immersion circulator and wait. Easy easy weeknight meal.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

This month's Cooks Illustrated suggests freezing steaks for a half hour before grilling.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

GrAviTy84 posted:

it's not actually that novel a thing. s'what they do at pretty much any higher end restaurant you can buy steaks at from Peter Luger's to Minetta Tavern, Bouchon, Les Halles...etc.

I put fresh cracked pepper and a pat of butter on top of the steak before tenting in foil and resting. I use salted butter because I like salt.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I love how lovely and uneven their doneness chart is. Half well done and half rare is not medium.

MANLY MEN RRRRRRR

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

It almost certainly does not help "hold in juices".

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Get your pan hotter.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Your pan needs to be hotter if 90s per side did that.

What kind of pan was it?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

If you're going all out I'd consider throwing the steak in the fridge overnight. The dry air dries off the surface of the steak, it'll get tacky and look a little different. With a drop or two of canola oil rubbed into the surface it'll make a great crust in a hot pan.

Selklubber posted:

Not that it matters much because it was tasty and juicy.

:rolleyes:

A cast iron pan is fine, it's what almost everyone uses. I leave mine in a 500 degree oven for a half an hour or longer and then put it on a big gas burner turned all the way up. You shouldn't be turning down the heat at all until your steak is done cooking and out of the pan.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Sure, but the steak pictured is pretty thin.

I sous vide thicker steaks but like them pretty rare. If I wasn't doing that I'd get a hard sear and then throw the steak in the oven.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The entrecôte is what we in America call a ribeye and is the best steak of all.

Most people like it medium rare, not rare because of all the marbling, but the pictured steak is gorgeous.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Chef De Cuisinart posted:

Black&Blue 4 lyfe.

That's how I like my steak, but the thread is titled "medium rare meats" and I'm trying to give general information to people uncomfortable cooking steak.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

He means that aging an individual steak isn't right.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

For serving rare ribeye? I generally sous vide to rare and then sear it off. It looks raw but isn't the same as a true black/blue raw steak which can be tough to eat.

From there I just slice normally I guess.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Here's how I cooked a steak this week. I started with two 18oz. ribeyes, and I vacuum sealed them. I then sous-vided them for an hour at 49C (120F).

After sous vide I blotted them with paper towels and lightly singed them with a MAPP Pro torch:

Then I plopped them into a 500F cast iron skillet for 60s a side:

After that I put some butter on top, fresh black pepper and tented under foil for 5m to rest before eating:

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

The torch isn't that helpful. I think you can get 99% of that sear without it, I wanted to try it out.

I throw my cast iron in the oven at 500F and let it sit there for 30 minutes or so to make sure it's all the same temp and evenly heated.

Then a couple drops of canola oil rubbed on to each side of the steak to make sure it releases quickly enough and off you go.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Filboid Studge posted:

Did you use actual real MAPP or did i misread? Seems overkill to sear meat with something you can repair the underside of a battleship with while it's at sea.

Well, they don't make MAPP (and it's super poisonous) so I used MAPP Pro, but yes.

I used to use a propane Bernzomatic torch and it just doesn't get you a good sear. The MAPP is better but still not what I had in mind so I use the torch to dry the surface of the meat really quickly. My thinking is that I have two tools that do slightly different things.

The torch is super hot, but doesn't have much mass behind it; it can dry meat and it can sear the outside if you're patient but I'm not. The cast iron pan isn't as hot but has a lot of mass and good flat surface contact on its side, so I dry the steak with the torch real quick and then sear it off in the pan.

To be honest you can skip the torch, I like to play around with things and obviously if you have company over there's a certain dramatic flair when you pull out a blowtorch to work on dinner, but this is supposed to be the "Art of Medium Rare Meats" and so going way overboard seemed like the right idea.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Despite the stupidity of the milk steak that looks better than 90% of the steaks posted in here.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Scott Bakula posted:

Does anyone have a good technique for getting a good crust on a thing steak? I just cooked one since I couldn't get something thicker and even cooking it straight from the fridge it was medium at best in the thicker parts with a pretty crap crust

What kind of pan, how hot was the pan?

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had a really underwhelming experience at Morton's in Boston but in general I avoid steak houses.

I can cook a better steak at home, when I go out I want something I have a harder time cooking.

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

Drifter posted:

Cast iron can have an uneven heat distribution up until it becomes fully heated through, if you're using a stovetop.

This is why I always throw my cast iron in a 400+ degree oven for a while before I cook steak on the stovetop. Make sure there's no cold spots and the pan has a lot of thermal energy in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

That's not bad. It's hard to cook a t-bone in cast iron because the bone lifts the meat off the pan.

• Locked thread