Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Dr. Lenin posted:

I'm a stupid newbie cook who is really paranoid about getting sick from undercooked cuts of meat. What are the best cuts of beef that I don't have to worry about cooking to rare / medium-rare, and are there any stores I should just avoid getting meat from altogether or does it not really matter?

Just about any whole piece of beef is likely safe to eat undercooked. Generally ground beef is what people worry about, because any surface bacteria has been mixed into the meat.

Generally the cuts that work the best rare to medium-rare are the NY strip and tenderloin (which are also the two muscles that make up T-bones and porterhouses), ribeye, flatiron steak (also sold as top-blade chuck steak), tritip, skirt steak and flank steak (sometimes sold as london broil).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Got the grill up to 650-700.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

For those of you looking for good 'cheap' steaks, try to find flatiron steaks, also sold as top-blade chuck steak. It's usually relatively cheap, yet it's marbled well and second only to the tenderloin in tenderness.

The cool thing about it is that it's marvelous in stews as well as seared and served med-rare.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

If I'm cooking a steak with a nice fat cap, I'll just put that edge on the pan first and let it render/crisp up, then cook the steak in its own fat.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Boris Galerkin posted:

but we do have an enameled dutch oven. Can I just sear/cook my steak

I don't think you're supposed to heat an empty enameled dutch oven on high heat. That's always been my understanding, anyway.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

I like black and blue for tenderloin, but for more marbled cuts I strongly prefer rare to medium rare, so the fat has a chance to relax.

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

Theoretically if you froze the meat beforehand, you could use a box grater to make a burger. Remember this if you're stuck somewhere with only a box grater and a freezer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GigaFool
Oct 22, 2001

With my gas grill, I take a large cast-iron pan and put it on the grill to preheat for at least 15-20 minutes. By the time I put the steak on there, it's around 700 degrees. I find the pan works much better than the grates, because even though they're cast-iron also, they're relatively thin and don't retain heat as well as a 12" pan.

Instead of greasing the pan, I just start the steak on the fat side and let it render/crisp up before doing each side.

• Locked thread