Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

I hodl at your neck the gox jabbar

Hello Goons,

A little over 3-4 months ago, while I was hunting for a Co-op position for the summer, I dropped my resume in with a big electrical infrastructure company that was listed on the Co-op site I was using. At the time, I didn't really think it would pan out, I live and go to school in Ontario, while all of this company's projects were in Alberta or BC. Still, takes 5 minutes to apply so I figured what the hell.

Come April, none of my other co-op prospects have panned out (not that there were many ) and I'm getting a bit worried about what I'll be doing this summer. Out of nowhere, I get an email from this company, long after I had forgotten I had even applied, asking if I would like to interview for a position. I was puzzled, since I figured there would be no way I could afford to make a trip to their projects, but agreed to the interview anyway.

A month later, here I am in Northern B.C., in the heart of the Rockies, acting as a surveying assistant on the Northern Transmission Line project, thousands of miles from my hometown that I had lived in all my life, father out than I've ever been before, and getting first hand experience on one of the largest Canadian infrastructure projects currently active. Room, Board and Travel all provided by my employer (to entice me and other workers out here, obv.)

So, needless to say, it's going to take some adjusting.

I'm not sure exactly why I'm writing this post/thread, maybe a blog would be more appropriate; but I don't have the wear-withal to set one up right now, and besides, I'm more interested in questions/comments from goons than from the general public. I'll be keeping a brief log recording what I do each day and what I've learned, for my purposes and for any goon who happens to be interested. I'll answer questions you might have as best I can. Thankfully they have wifi set up for the camp so I can keep touch with goons and family both.

Day 1 on site;

After spending my first week in orientation in Edmonton with the HR section of the company, I've finally made it to the Campsite I'll be spending my next 21 days in: Owl Creek Camp. Met my crew chief, Mat. Nice guy, from Ontario too. He'll be teaching me all about surveying and I'll do my best to help him out as I pick up what I need to know.

After getting unpacked we went out to try and locate some established elevation points to set up our Base Rover with; that's the new fancy GPS locator system that automatically corrects for new locations or something, I don't really remember exactly how Mat explained it, but sufficed to say, it saves us time by not forcing us to constantly re-set up and establish known co-ordinates to track to like a Base Station would. I'm sure I'll understand it more once I actually see it in action; unfortunately for us we couldn't find any known NTL points to set up on, the ones we are looking for are across a bridge that's semi-shut down for maintenance, and we didn't have the time to wait for it to open up again. We'll be heading out Early tomorrow while it's still open and working until it opens up again for us to head back.

Even though the known points we did locate ended up being unrelated to our work, it was interesting to see the procedure to locate them. There is a metal sigh in the ground indicating that there is a known legal point within 30 cm of it. The point is a small metal disc, fixed in the ground/bedrock by a long rod. You set up over this point, whose co-ordinates and elevation are known, and use it as your base to set up the rest of your points for the base of the structure. Thing is, because the point must remain fixed even as things around it change, it could end up buried by soil or rocks, so, to locate it, you start digging about 30 cm's in front of the sign, and use a magnetic field detector (essentially a metal detector I think?) to help pinpoint it so you can uncover it. Took us a little bit to unearth it, only to find out it wasn't a useful one (the whole thing is a bit strange, just driving up the highway or access roads for a while till you can spot one and try to orient yourself based on it). Still, I can't really see a better way of doing it. The second point we found seems to have gotten all banged up and yanked when they were clearing the trees for the right-of-way around it. BC government will have to reestablish it since as it stands it's no longer useful or legal to set up from.

Mountains are beautiful, haven't seen them before. It's warm enough out but still the peaks are all capped with snow. Planning on taking some pictures when I get the chance. Would up load them to Imgur to share but for some reason the internet up here blocks it, and youtube. No idea why.

Alright, time for bed. I'll talk a bit about what the camp is like tomorrow. Gotta get up early to get over that bridge!

1/21

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sword and Sceptre
Jan 24, 2011

I did NAZI this coming...

Interesting you'd say that Northern B.C is the heart of the Rockies, I'd disagree.

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

I am in P.G. and my husband used to survey. So hi northern BC buddy!

Some of your comments are interesting. Go to Banff or Jasper to see the real Rockies, what we have up here does not compare. I've been to Ontario and the big thing that stuck out, or rather didn't har har, was the lack of mountains. Seeing the north through an Ontarians eyes will be interesting.

Binary Logic
Dec 28, 2000

Sword and Sceptre posted:

Interesting you'd say that Northern B.C is the heart of the Rockies, I'd disagree.
'The scapula of the Rockies' doesn't have the same poetic flair. Looking forward to photos and stories about encounters with the local flora and fauna.

ps: Red-Leg, if offered an extension beyond the 21 days, TAKE IT!
pps: Huge fan of Grant Morrison's run on Doom Patrol so I really like that avatar.

Warsteiner
Jan 14, 2006

Red-Leg Scissorman posted:

I'm not sure exactly why I'm writing this post/thread, maybe a blog would be more appropriate

So far your post is just Surveying 101. I've helped people survey and it's fun to be outside when the weather is nice and moderate. I imagine surveying a pipeline would take a considerate amount of patience.

CountingCrows
Apr 17, 2001

Post pictures if you're gonna be doing this. Camp, Rockies, Work, etc. That would make the thread pretty interesting.

Edit: I see imggur is blocked, but surely there's some other way?

Normal?
Oct 9, 2004
I made pizzas on the floor!

Welcome to Northern BC! I was born and raised there but I am currently living in Northern Alberta working in the oilfields. As 'adventure in the sandbox' put it, it will be interesting to see your perspective on it. Good luck!

EDIT: I as wondering why I didn't recognize the Owl Creek name, and if I am reading the map correctly you're in the coastal mountains down near Whistler. It is also a nice area, but quite different than northern BC and the Rockies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Downtown Abey
Feb 14, 2002

maybe i'm just too demanding

Thanks for the boring Livejournal