Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter

KinkyJohn posted:

Has anybody here switched over from canon to sony entirely? If so, what would you say are the pros and cons? Do you think it is worth investing in a sony system in the long run (as in, is the general consensus that they will stick around for a while and keep innovating like they are?)

I might consider going a99 + a7s low light backup

They're sure to stick around and keep innovating since they're supplying sensors to at least half the market right now. The main thing to look out for is that they really really like to release 60 camera bodies a year, and maybe two firmware updates.

What exactly are you using it for though?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I kept my Canon for professional gigs where I absolutely need to have consistency and/or people expect to see a big DSLR, but otherwise I shoot everything I do personally with my A7. If you get a Sony DSLR I can't imagine there being any complications other than I have seen jobs that demand you have a Canon or Nikon DSLR and won't accept anything else.

One thing that does suck about Sony is their speedlights. Really beautiful light output and every other company should copy their swivel head design, but they overheat way too easily for supposedly professional equipment at professional prices. If I was switching to a Sony DSLR I would no poo poo get a Canon 600EX and just shoot it in manual. That's what I do on my A7 when I need a flash.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses
There is a company out there that will modify F60s for you if you really want them to. Otherwise, you can use an F58 with an adaptor that's almost guaranteed to slide off. :v: I'm surprised there isn't a class action about either of these things. While my F60 hasn't overheated on me, I don't repeatedly shoot full-power flash and I know a bunch of people who have had overheating problems. I would suggest looking at the new Metz flashguns with the native multi-interface shoe. Even in the bad old Minolta days I knew people who swore by them.

What kind of work do you do, KinkyJohn?

I use my a99+gear to shoot private jets professionally. I've never been questioned on the equipment, and my clients have always liked the results. But the kind of work I do is square in the wheelhouse of these people—I'm not shooting sports. It's a lot better now than it was five, six years ago when the only way to really get rental equipment was AlphaLensRental, run by a guy out of his house. Now Borrowlenses and LensRentals has the full line of gear at a moment's notice.

There's nothing really stopping you from using the gear professionally unless there is a particular special needs lens that your work requires (e.g. tilt and shift, 400 f/2.8).

TheAngryDrunk
Jan 31, 2003

"I don't know why I know that; I took four years of Spanish."
I may jump the Canon ship depending on the A99 refresh.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Might seem like a nice guy, but cross me once...
Arg! I left my a55 in a compartment in the back of my car, didn't realize it was also full of water. It spent 4 days soaking wet. Surprisingly it still turns on but autofocus doesn't work, among other general camera unhappiness.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions.

I've also got an a6000 so I'm trying to decide between selling my A mount gear and re-investing in the E mount or replacing the a55 with something like the a77. I like having two bodies and there is much that I enjoy about the A mount (my old Minolta lenses and in-body stabilization) but I'm not sure if it's worth making a new investment in the A mount since it seems to be on the way out. I'd love to go full frame but I just can't justify the price at the moment because either way I'll need to reinvest in new lenses (several of my A mount lenses are crop sensor only).

At the moment I'm leaning towards an a77 body and chalking it up to an expensive mistake.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got the Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF Lens and the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm looking to make a purchase of another lens or two to take macro shots and get have a nice zoom depending on how well my current lenses already achieve these things. I was thinking maybe the Sony 55-200 f/4-5.6 DT and Minolta AF 50mm F2.8 Macro. What do you guys think?

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

The 55-200 has lovely optics and can be bought for a song. It's not the sturdiest lens, but you'll be happy with its image quality. The 50/2.8 macro is good, though a bit short if you plan on shooting bugs - get the Minolta 100/2.8 for that.

If you get the 50/2.8, it might be a bit redundant to keep the 50/1.7 as well. You might want to consider selling it and getting a Sony 35mm f/1.8 instead.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Grater posted:

Arg! I left my a55 in a compartment in the back of my car, didn't realize it was also full of water. It spent 4 days soaking wet. Surprisingly it still turns on but autofocus doesn't work, among other general camera unhappiness.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions.

I've also got an a6000 so I'm trying to decide between selling my A mount gear and re-investing in the E mount or replacing the a55 with something like the a77. I like having two bodies and there is much that I enjoy about the A mount (my old Minolta lenses and in-body stabilization) but I'm not sure if it's worth making a new investment in the A mount since it seems to be on the way out. I'd love to go full frame but I just can't justify the price at the moment because either way I'll need to reinvest in new lenses (several of my A mount lenses are crop sensor only).

At the moment I'm leaning towards an a77 body and chalking it up to an expensive mistake.

Have you considered just getting one of Sony's A to E adapters? Might be a reasonably affordable way to go - use your A6000 and keep all your A-mount lenses for the time being.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Yeah, I've been thinking about that, in all honesty it's probably the smartest decision for me right now. Perhaps it would be enough to get my by for now, then start saving for a full frame E mount instead.

Then again, I could pick up an a77II now and figure out where I want to go later. I do like having multiple bodies and I do like the larger DSLR style ergonomics. My camera addiction has never been about smart decisions after all :)

EDIT - My GAS and the fact that I like having two bodies is winning. I'm leaning towards an a77II even though it's looking more and more likely that the A mount is dead. I'll be able to use my current lenses and accessories for a few years to come and I can focus on building up my E mount system moving forward.

Grater fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Sep 16, 2014

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Continuing on from my lens question.

Would it be worth it to upgrade from my Sony A290 ($160 resale) and add an extra $200 to get a better model or get more lenses? Currently I've got a Minolta 50mm 1.7f and18-55mm kit lens. I'd like a camera with more physical buttons, higher ISO, video, custom white balance setting. I'm thinking I should deal with the camera a bit longer and get better lenses. What do you guys think?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Grater posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, in all honesty it's probably the smartest decision for me right now. Perhaps it would be enough to get my by for now, then start saving for a full frame E mount instead.

Then again, I could pick up an a77II now and figure out where I want to go later. I do like having multiple bodies and I do like the larger DSLR style ergonomics. My camera addiction has never been about smart decisions after all :)

EDIT - My GAS and the fact that I like having two bodies is winning. I'm leaning towards an a77II even though it's looking more and more likely that the A mount is dead. I'll be able to use my current lenses and accessories for a few years to come and I can focus on building up my E mount system moving forward.

I really don't think A-mount is even close to dead. I mean, the A77II wasn't that long ago; I feel like they just really wanted to focus on FE to get it going. I'm thinking we'll see more A stuff in the start of the new year.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001

mediaphage posted:

I really don't think A-mount is even close to dead. I mean, the A77II wasn't that long ago; I feel like they just really wanted to focus on FE to get it going. I'm thinking we'll see more A stuff in the start of the new year.
I hope so but even if not there's still plenty there for me so I'm not terribly worried. I am likely going to pick up an A77II tonight so here's hoping :)

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Well, I did it, bought an a77II on Friday. Took it to my son's first tee-ball game on Sunday and strapped on my trusty old beercan. Wow, this thing is pretty amazing; I couldn't miss a shot. This thing is so much more responsive than my a55 was, so much faster to focus, no noticeable EVF lag, instant shutter response. I'm seriously impressed. I sort of wish I'd upgraded sooner.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
Just an FYI to anyone still interested in or looking for an Alpha mount camera. There are some seriously killer deals on the a77mk2 at various retailers, Amazon, Adorama, BHPhoto and the Sony Online Store to name a few. I just bought my body only for $1049 and it was worth every penny but now they are going for $899. There's other good sales on their mirrorless offerings as well. Finally, the a99 is down to $1999 as well.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Is the a99 permanently down to $1999, or is it just on sale?

I miss my a99. Maybe in a year or two, I'll pick up that, a secret handshake, a Beercan, and a Minolta 35/2. Maybe.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001
I honestly don't know. I just checked the price on the a99 at Amazon after seeing the sales on the a77mk2. It appears to be a sale price but they always list things like that to make it seem like you are getting a good deal. Either way, by all accounts that's a great price on the thing, I wish I had the disposable income for one.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is the A55 the best I could get used for around $350? My A290 instead of being sellable has decided to give up on me and I need a new (used) camera. $350 is about my limit and I'm hoping for something decently better than the A290.

Bob Socko
Feb 20, 2001

Unless you can find an a580 or a57 in that price range, yeah, go for the a55.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
FYI, if you own an F60 flash, you can send it in to Sony to get the firmware updated to 1.1, which solves the overheating problem.

They updated it for me on the show floor at Photoplus expo, using a clearly custom programming doohickey that they plugged the flash into. Why the camera itself can't do this, I have no idea.

Grater
Jul 11, 2001

huhu posted:

Is the A55 the best I could get used for around $350? My A290 instead of being sellable has decided to give up on me and I need a new (used) camera. $350 is about my limit and I'm hoping for something decently better than the A290.
I have an a55 and a barely used 18-55 kit lens I might be willing to part with. Both are in excellent shape. PM me if you are interested.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Since I managed to get a video of the issue, anyone have any suggestions? Can't take it to a repair shop until I'm back in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8JbUkZJh-w

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Anyone here went with an A7/A7R and adapting EF lenses to it? What do you think of this solution?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Autofocus is slow as gently caress, a few lenses don't really work right. Otherwise it should be fine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, the AF I don't really care about, as long aperture functions. Is there a list what lenses have issues? I suppose it also depends on the adapter used?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Metabones has a list for tested lenses, the cheaper knock off ones can be expected to basically be the same but possibly slower AF and maybe aps-c only.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
http://www.engadget.com/2014/11/20/sonys-alpha-7-ii-full-frame-mirrorless/

a7 II with 5 axis image stabilization for ANY lens. Whaaat

I dont do much night shooting but how many stops does that usually afford? If i can back off of 16000 more frequently and hand hold that would be nice.

Also im disappointed they still have that stupid ugly rear end orange ring

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They say up to 4.5 stops. I'm really interested in this, because I'm doing urbex and sometimes I have to shoot handheld in low light because a tripod is impractical. Reducing ISO and subsequently noise on longer exposures would be awesome. Still waiting to see whether there'll be an A7II R, what the A9 will be and whether Canon will pull its head out of its rear end around CP+. Hopefully it'll also work with adapted lenses.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Grater
Jul 11, 2001

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hopefully it'll also work with adapted lenses.
Word is that it will work with all lenses. What's more it will also work in conjunction with stabilized lenses.

I might have to start saving.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ditto, I've already adjusted my budget to save for it for next spring.

Hopefully the A9 will be announced not too late, because I'd like to know what it is. Being supposedly a pro body, I secretly hope that it'll be the implied replacement for the A99 (big body, included A-mount adapter, et al). Sort of rolling the A7R II and A99 II into one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently it has a menu to select a focal length in case you screw on a manual or legacy lens.

MSRP of 1799€ in Germany.

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

It's probably the same sort of IBIS that olympus has in their OM-Ds, and let me tell you, 4-5 stops isn't that crazy of a number. It's really good poo poo. My only problem with it is that I hate adapting zooms to my OM-D is annoying since you have to punch in the focal length for the ibis, so you can have it setup at 210 or at 70, but if you're swapping between the two a whole bunch you might as well turn IBIS off.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose this shouldn't be necessary, if the camera gets information from the lens or adapter. Seems like all adapters with electronic contacts seem to be able to relay focal length to the camera.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It should from something like the A or EF adapters, but what would it read from a Leica M dumb adapter?

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses

Elliotw2 posted:

It should from something like the A or EF adapters, but what would it read from a Leica M dumb adapter?

Electric adapters will relay the info (and automatically use the right stabilization info for lenses that have OS). Manual adapters will require the manual picker, alas.

We're just happy we're getting any selection at all. A-mount users have begged for this since the 7D.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Combat Pretzel posted:

Hopefully the A9 will be announced not too late, because I'd like to know what it is. Being supposedly a pro body, I secretly hope that it'll be the implied replacement for the A99 (big body, included A-mount adapter, et al). Sort of rolling the A7R II and A99 II into one.

My guess is that the differentiation between the A7 II and the A9 would be similar to the differentiation between the EM5 and EM1.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The comment sections on SAR easily rival those on Youtube videos. :wtc:

Also, there were some PR slides released that read like anything else Mark II will likely be revealed in 2015 only. So unlikely we'll get to know about an A7R II, or A7S II anyway, this year.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

Was her cheap sunglasses
$1699 for A7II in the US body only. That's a pretty darn good price. The introductory price for the a700, back in 2007, was $1399.

Makes you wonder what they could do if they had a no-holds-barred camera or more money to work with on an a9.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

I'm stoked the a7ii will be available so soon. Perfect timing to bail on my 7d and move to full frame.

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Dec 8th for those wondering.

Going to wait for some crazy "trade in any camera sale" before i buy one, then will sell my a7 body i guess.

Actually i have to wait until the a9 gets announced and then decide if i want to go for broke on that..

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the display on the back of the A7II has RGBW pixel structure. I hope it isn't that terrible poo poo that failed hard on these Motorola smartphones two years ago.

• Locked thread