Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through

Shaocaholica posted:

So now that the A7 is out and lacks in body stabilization, have any 3rd party lens makers said anything about enabling in-lens stabilization for A-mount/E-mount lenses?

Edit: I guess -some- lenses have it and some don't?

E-mount has never had IBIS; A-mount does. It is a little annoying for the time being, but I think it's something that'll work itself out in time.

Until then, you can buy a few A-mount lenses with stabilization from someone like Sigma (and use them with the LA-EA4 or w/e) that I believe work. For the most part, no one is making 3rd party E-mount lenses that cover a full frame image circle at all (barring some slapdash converts like Samyang's recent offerings). I think that'll change over the next year or so.

As far as native lenses go, you've got the 24-70, 70-200 G, and 28-70 kit lens which all offer OSS.

mediaphage fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Apr 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I've resisted picking up an A-mount adapter thus far; I just picked up the A7r and FE55. My next purchase will probably be the 70-200G. After that, I'd want a good wide-angle and a macro, and that's pretty much everything I'd need for what I do.

I'm medium tempted to pick up a basic Canon adapter and that wackyawesome MP-E 65 for macro work, though.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

mr. mephistopheles posted:

All the AF adapters for the A7 are wonky as hell and I wouldn't recommend them for anything serious. Either adapt manual or use native AF lenses, IMO. With the Canon and A-mount adapters you're just taking two great pieces of engineering and getting mediocre results.

I definitely agree with the Canon/Metabones AF adapters. I thought that the nicer Sony A-mount adapters worked pretty well, though? I prolly won't use them since the whole reason for the A7 was to slim down a bit, but I've heard good things - at least for the LA-EA4, which basically gives you the A99 AF system, I think?

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

I think I could see the appeal of it on the RX1 - that's basically the A7, minus the hump. I don't really see the appeal on the RX100, though. Whenever I used the RX100, I never wished for a viewfinder; I was fine with the screen since it's so small. The LCD on the back of those things is bright as hell; I was able to use it in summer in Rome, outside, with no visibility issues.

poo poo, while I do use the viewfinder on the A7r a majority of the time, I use the screen way more than I thought I would, simply because it's so much better than a typical DSLR clunky live view mode.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Grater posted:

Arg! I left my a55 in a compartment in the back of my car, didn't realize it was also full of water. It spent 4 days soaking wet. Surprisingly it still turns on but autofocus doesn't work, among other general camera unhappiness.

So, I'm looking for some suggestions.

I've also got an a6000 so I'm trying to decide between selling my A mount gear and re-investing in the E mount or replacing the a55 with something like the a77. I like having two bodies and there is much that I enjoy about the A mount (my old Minolta lenses and in-body stabilization) but I'm not sure if it's worth making a new investment in the A mount since it seems to be on the way out. I'd love to go full frame but I just can't justify the price at the moment because either way I'll need to reinvest in new lenses (several of my A mount lenses are crop sensor only).

At the moment I'm leaning towards an a77 body and chalking it up to an expensive mistake.

Have you considered just getting one of Sony's A to E adapters? Might be a reasonably affordable way to go - use your A6000 and keep all your A-mount lenses for the time being.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Grater posted:

Yeah, I've been thinking about that, in all honesty it's probably the smartest decision for me right now. Perhaps it would be enough to get my by for now, then start saving for a full frame E mount instead.

Then again, I could pick up an a77II now and figure out where I want to go later. I do like having multiple bodies and I do like the larger DSLR style ergonomics. My camera addiction has never been about smart decisions after all :)

EDIT - My GAS and the fact that I like having two bodies is winning. I'm leaning towards an a77II even though it's looking more and more likely that the A mount is dead. I'll be able to use my current lenses and accessories for a few years to come and I can focus on building up my E mount system moving forward.

I really don't think A-mount is even close to dead. I mean, the A77II wasn't that long ago; I feel like they just really wanted to focus on FE to get it going. I'm thinking we'll see more A stuff in the start of the new year.

• Locked thread