Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

alkanphel posted:

Sony has already shown the roadmap for their SLT cameras and they'll be releasing one more high-end SLT next year, probably the A99's successor. I do think that by releasing the A7 and A7r, they will follow-up in 1 or 2 years time with a proper A9 and A9r because the A7 seems quite a rushed job.

What makes you say the A7 seems like a rush job?

Also I'm looking at switching from Canon to Sony for the A7. I think I would shoot a lot more if I had something as small as the A7 and just had a camera satchel I always took with me whenever I went out. Plus I'm moving toward only really being interested in candid street photography and my Mark 3 may as well be a big flashing light out in public. I will probably keep it to do video with, but I'm probably going to sell my lenses save for video primes if I it pans out. Renting one for four days later this week to try out, but unless I absolutely hate it I'm pretty much sold already.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Actually after seeing this I think I'm going to go old Minolta manual primes.

http://forum.mflenses.com/minolta-rokkor-lens-with-sony-a7-t63296.html

Managed to find a pristine 58mm 1.2 on the local craigslist for about $200 less than average quality ones on ebay.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

whatever7 posted:

Mind I ask where are you and how much you paid for it? I was looking for FD 50mm-ish f/1.2 lens

edit: You know Chinese have huge hard-on for adapting all kind of old MF lens on mirrorless bodies. I was going to say this guy is probably from Taiwan but based on his url he is from Hong Kong.

I'm in Las Vegas and I paid $380 for it. I could turn around tomorrow and probably sell it for $500 easy.

What's crazy is there's a local vintage camera repair shop that was selling one for $195 in what they described as 9+ condition but it was marked sold by the time I saw it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

whatever7 posted:

You probably will have to sell it to oversea buyer to get the high price though. Its up to you if you want to take that risk to make more profit. Like I said the oversea market has a great appetite for the vintage fast lens.

A couple went for ~$500 on FM in the last couple weeks. The A7 seems to be making them a lot more desirable. Also I totally just realized this isn't the thread for the A7.

E: But nobody's talking about it in the NEX thread so maybe it is. Or maybe it doesn't belong anywhere.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I seriously spent probably 10-12 hours of the last two days scouring lens sites, but at the end of today I have the following in the mail and on their way, all in excellent condition with flawless glass, and I'll include where I got them in case anyone else is interested in going down a similar path:

Minolta MD W.Rokkor-X 24mm 2.8 metal body, which is one of the lenses that so impressed Leitz that they just rebranded it and sold it with a Leica R mount (FredMiranda)
Minolta MD 85mm 2, which after going through A LOT of online comparison shots is by far the best IQ 85 from the MC/MD mount (Adorama, where it was about $200 cheaper than I could find on ebay)
Minolta MD 135mm 2.8 Rokkor-X (the 135s were pretty lackluster compared to the other focal distances, but I wanted to fill that gap with something and this was less than $100 and is pretty good past 5.6)
Minolta MC Tele Rokkor 200mm 4 (best 200mm I found, almost no CA, even at f4, plus it's MC so it's built like a tank)

I spent a couple dollars over $800 for all 4.

Oh, and I bought some cheapo $10 adapter off Amazon just to test and see how I liked the 58mm before I bought more lenses and presumably would buy a sturdier adapter like the Novoflex, and the thing fits perfectly on both ends with no wiggle room and no difficulty mounting.

And finally here's a crop of a full auto-focus shot with the Sony Zeiss FE 35mm 2.8 @ 2.8, 1/125th (left) next to a crop of a full manual shot from the MC 58mm 1.2 @ 2, 1/125th (right). Both shots completely unedited raws from the A7.

And the photo the manual focus was cropped from (both shots are almost identical at distance).

If anyone has any questions about Minolta MC/MD lenses, I feel pretty knowledgeable about them now so ask away.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Pretty sure it still does it to a degree on my A7. It's annoying but it rarely ruins a photo.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

I personally would try to go for the a7r. The image quality makes the compromises a bit easier to live with.

What compromises? Having a smaller, lighter weight camera? You're never going to even notice the quality difference if you're not doing giant prints or incessantly pixel peeping, and the A7 has faster burst shooting, better autofocus, and it doesn't have the shutter vibration that a ton of people have been bitching about on the A7R.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

evil_bunnY posted:

Shutter snap and incompetent AF!

The limitations of the AF are going to affect like 1% of shooters and anyone who actually needs the AF is going to be limited to subset of cameras designed for that kind of shooting and they're not even going to be looking at the A7. And I'm not sure what "shutter snap" is. If you mean the shutter vibration, that's only on the A7R and it's honestly negligible outside of long exposures on telephotos.

kefkafloyd posted:

The "compromises" are, for the time being, the limited native lens selection that you get with either FE camera, lack of IBIS, limited frame rate on the a7R, the risk of vibrations, and probably the light leak.

Limited lens range is absolutely a weakness, I'll give you that. But focus peaking makes it so much easier to use manual focus legacy lenses that it really hasn't bothered me. As for the rest, few cameras have IBIS, the framerate on the A7R is more middling than actually slow, and the light leak issue is being way blown out of proportion. You have to have a light directly next to the barrel and you have to shoot at something like 1 second exposures to even be able to see it. I admit it's somewhat worrisome as far as dust and moisture, but the risk of it affecting photos is nearly non-existent.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Paul MaudDib posted:

Apparently the 5D Mark III and the D800E both have the same issue.

Pretty much what I would have guessed. People have been trying very hard to undermine the A7(r) because it's the new thing and it's not by one of the big two. I get the skepticism, but it really is a revolutionary camera. A year ago if someone told me I'd sell all my Canon gear and switch to Sony I would have thought they were insane because the rest of their interchangeable lens offerings have been pretty ho-hum.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Bud posted:

There was a minolta MC 85 1.7 on craigslist as part of a srt 101 + 50 + 28 package for $50 and I missed it by a day because I suck. I have been pissed about it for 3 days now and am venting whenever possible.

The 2.0 has better IQ anyway.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

All the AF adapters for the A7 are wonky as hell and I wouldn't recommend them for anything serious. Either adapt manual or use native AF lenses, IMO. With the Canon and A-mount adapters you're just taking two great pieces of engineering and getting mediocre results.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

kefkafloyd posted:

The Sony AF adapters are fine, he's referring to EOS AF adapters.

I was referring to both. The Sony adapter (I've only used the LA-EA4, which is the most recent adapter) is "fine" yeah, but for thousands of dollars of equipment you should be getting better than fine and it doesn't at all compare to using a native FF E-mount lens as far as reliability, speed and utility (the AF features are extremely limited with an A-mount lens and adapter compared to a native lens).

It's just silly. If you want a small camera, buy a small camera and lenses to go with it. If you want to use your beefy DSLR lenses, buy a DSLR. The results of a uniform system are going to be superior to mixing and matching and about the same price.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

How do you underexpose when the EVF shows you the exact exposure of your shot?

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Elliotw2 posted:

There's not any adapters that catch the aperture arms in the older MF lenses as far as I know. The NEX and A7 have an exposure guide in full Manual mode though. On the lower right, above the ISO in NEX mode is a box with M.M on it, and when the number next to it is -0.3 or 0.0 your picture is most likely exposed correctly. As a fellow glasses wearer, with the EVF on the mirrorless cameras I can just take my glasses off to use it since the screen inside it is close enough that it's clear.

I'm still not understanding. EVF has live view that shows exposure in real time. I basically only shoot old Minolta MC/MD lenses on my A7 and it still adjusts for the incoming light when you change the aperture. What are you guys looking at? Are you not using the live view setting? I turn it off when I'm in super low light or using a flash but in any kind of decent light I can't imagine why you wouldn't.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

In sunlight the EVF gets super washed out i just assume its being exposed properly when in reality its way underexposed. I guess i should just meter it to 0.0 for MC/MD lenses. For some reason i bought an LA-EA4, so yeah now i need a bunch of lenses for that. Going to buy a 50mm f1.4 auto focus minolta and see how i like it, maybe a 35mm f2.2 mc/md? 30mm f1.4 sigma? 85 f1.7 and f2 appear to be very similar price range wise too

There's no reason it should be washed out though. I'll look on my A7 and see where the live preview setting is.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

I kept my Canon for professional gigs where I absolutely need to have consistency and/or people expect to see a big DSLR, but otherwise I shoot everything I do personally with my A7. If you get a Sony DSLR I can't imagine there being any complications other than I have seen jobs that demand you have a Canon or Nikon DSLR and won't accept anything else.

One thing that does suck about Sony is their speedlights. Really beautiful light output and every other company should copy their swivel head design, but they overheat way too easily for supposedly professional equipment at professional prices. If I was switching to a Sony DSLR I would no poo poo get a Canon 600EX and just shoot it in manual. That's what I do on my A7 when I need a flash.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

coolskillrex remix posted:

Dec 8th for those wondering.

Going to wait for some crazy "trade in any camera sale" before i buy one, then will sell my a7 body i guess.

Actually i have to wait until the a9 gets announced and then decide if i want to go for broke on that..

I really don't get the purpose of the II. It seems like such a marginal improvement that the only thing that makes sense to me is a way for Sony to say "we're doubling down on this new format" so anyone who was avoiding switching over because they worried support might dry up won't have those reservations. I mean it's basically just slightly faster AF and in-body stabilization, right? Which the in-body is a great quality of life thing, but I can't imagine it's going to sell anyone who wasn't already sold. And I say that as someone who shoots pretty much exclusively old manual lenses on my A7.

The A9, however, will be the second coming of photography.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Combat Pretzel posted:

Unless the A9 has an RGB sensor or something else revolutionary, I don't see what will set it apart from the other A7 models. Everything it'll be able to offer are just more quality of life options.

I feel like it'll have to be something big to make a new line.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

The Mk3 focus system destroooys the focus system in the Mk2. Like the Mk2 had a lovely focus system anyway, but it just makes it feel like a lovely entry level as far as low light and motion capabilities. It's a huge difference.

And then they made the 6D which uses the same focus system as the Mk2 because gently caress you.

I mean who is going to be sold on IBIS who wasn't already sold on the versatility of a mirrorless full frame for under $2000? I would agree Sony is trying way harder to innovate than Canon or Nikon at the moment, though.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Literally just thinking about getting a 55 today after my friend decided to get an A7 and asked me what prime lenses were available and it turns out the exact same ones as when I bought my A7 two weeks after it came out. Also curious how you're liking it. I remember being pretty impressed with the images I saw from it but I was all about manual focus lenses back then and I bought the 24-70 to still be able to take photos when I didn't want to gently caress with manual focusing, but it turns out F4 is just so dull and I use my Canon for actual work so I never use it.

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Google Butt posted:

I really like it, but I'm not sure how I felt about the AF. Coming from using manual focus primes 99% of the time, felt like it got in the way. I decided to rent the Loxia 50 f/2 just to be sure I want to go with the FE 55 or not, I feel like it's optically more unique, but the fly by wire MF is annoying.

I just want a lazy walk-around lens for when I'm not really doing a shoot or going for anything in particular so the AF will be nice to have. I have a bunch of old baller Minolta lenses for when I want to be all artsy and take time composing shots. I'd use the 24-70 if it wasn't so huge and the DOF wasn't so garbage. How did you like the IQ?

E: Lol at this review I found of the Loxia. Nice Clarity 100 ruining any way to judge the images from the lens dickhead.

http://www.stevehuffphoto.com/2014/11/14/the-sony-a7-and-zeiss-loxia-50mm-f2-lens-review-by-tomer-vaknin/

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Feb 13, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

drat, the Loxia is quite a bit sharper at 2. But yeah it's close enough that I think I'm in for the AF. Thanks for the feedback and the link!

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

Saw a used A7 mark 1 going for roughly 1000 USD with the kit lens, and a used 35mm f/2.8 for about 450. I'm coming from a Canon 7D with 30mm f/1.4, so I'm guessing I'll lose some bokeh here for the size and sensor tradeoffs.

There was also an A7 for 250 less body only.

I'd also like a telephoto to replace my 70-200 f/4L.

Oh and I am dependent on AF. I am useless with MF.

Worth the move you think?

Really, really, really depends on what you intend to do with it.

For fun hobbyist shooting, which I will assume based on using a 7D? 100% switch over.

Professional or intentions of becoming professional, buy a used 5D2 instead and keep your lenses.

I initially planned to switch platforms, but a DSLR is just a much more capable camera when you can't afford to miss shots. Exception for bright, natural light shooting, where the A7 performs on par, but any kind of indoor or low-light setting and a DSLR runs circles around it. And trust me when I say I really wanted to be able to sell my Canon gear and go all-in on mirrorless because it's so much more fun to shoot and much less of a pain in the rear end to carry around.

mr. mephistopheles fucked around with this message at 09:37 on Feb 15, 2015

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

LiquidRain posted:

The only EF lens I have is the 70-200 f/4L which I bought for a ludicrously low price. ($650 with bag in near-perfect condition) The 30mm Sigma and the 11-16mm Tokina are both EF-S and are basically worth zip.

I never bring my 7D around with me anymore because of the weight, so I'm definitely going mirrorless. Went to a camera show recently and left completely unimpressed with the Oly E-M5 mk2 (lack of bokeh in a 50mm equiv lens) but quite impressed with the a6000 and A7 mk2, but the A7 mk2 is :signings: and while I am all for saving up for it, if I can get an A7 at half that and put it into glass... well, yeah.

I have used the super-duper 7D tracking once in the last two years when I went to an F1 race, and I gotta admit I loved it, but it's my least used combo by far. I am definitely a hobbyist but I do expect good performance out of my stuff. Is the A7 (either mark) really that bad in low light? My 7D's AF (and sensor noise :haw:) fail as soon as I start having to reach over ISO 800 but for daylight it's practically foolproof. The Sigma 30mm ain't exactly a fast focusing lens though, and the 11-16mm ultrawide even slower. The a6000 is really fast, almost as fast as Olympus, while the mk2 isn't bad and I know the mk1 is right on the edge of acceptable. (at least it's not EOS M levels of terrible, and having just tried an EOS M3, the situation there isn't getting much better)

So to sum up: I dunno. I'm torn between a6000 for AF and affordable glass, or full frame :kimchi:. There is nothing for me in missing a shot except for some disappointment, and by moving to a Sony sensor with its better ISO capabilities (and especially a full frame) with what I shoot these days I am going to gain more shots by being able to shoot higher ISO than I will lose through mediocre AF. It's mostly [kai]BOKEH[/kai], better low light, and better stills I'm after if we're ignoring size. (I'd love to not tradeoff speed/AF, naturally, but I think that just comes with mirrorless territory)

Never used the Mark 2 but the A7 may as well be manual focus only in low light with how lovely it is.

What lens would you buy if you got the A7?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mr. mephistopheles
Dec 2, 2009

Google Butt posted:

Ended up going with the fe 55, can't wait.

Me too. Bought a used copy off ebay that just got here today. So far I love it. Going to take it on a wedding tomorrow and see how it does.

• Locked thread