Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Humble Tengu Newspaper Reporter
I think the main upgrade in the a77 II is the autofocus, though there is supposed to be some new noise reduction scheme for high iso shooting. Though, coming from an a300 you'll see a big difference going to the regular a77, or any other of the higher model DSLR's.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

The A-58 will be a nice upgrade, but do know you're moving to the SLT line. Sony's OLED viewfinders are really good, but expect a transition. Also it has a more traditional hotshoe, so you'll need a converter or something if you have a Minolta mount flash.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

There's not any adapters that catch the aperture arms in the older MF lenses as far as I know. The NEX and A7 have an exposure guide in full Manual mode though. On the lower right, above the ISO in NEX mode is a box with M.M on it, and when the number next to it is -0.3 or 0.0 your picture is most likely exposed correctly. As a fellow glasses wearer, with the EVF on the mirrorless cameras I can just take my glasses off to use it since the screen inside it is close enough that it's clear.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, it also does the obvious changing of how the preview looks too. He might have that setting off, or bright sun can keep the viewfinder/screen from being accurate. I was just pointing out the other alternative.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Pretty sure he's talking about how the rear screen has crazy glare making it nearly unusable in sunlight. If you can't get your eye just right on the viewfinder with glasses you can get too much light in there and get equally bad glare.

e: You can also just shoot in Aperture priority mode and let the camera do all the work and adjust the aperture with the lens ring.

Karasu Tengu fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Jun 27, 2014

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

They should still work with normal TTL mode, just the fancier ADI mode will be automatically disabled.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

You really wouldn't want an older full frame camera for birding, I'd look into an A77 or one of the other newer crop SLT cameras. They've made big improvements to autofocus and ISO performance recently, and you won't have to deal with cropping out 60%+ of the frame to get the image you want.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Here's a graph of about what the camera decides in the auto modes.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

KEH gives a good price most of the time, and it's a quick and easy process to do. I did sell one of my lenses to Amazon through their trade in program, since they gave $100 of Amazon credit, while KEH would offer me $40 cash. Amazon's trade in also worked pretty easily.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

KinkyJohn posted:

Has anybody here switched over from canon to sony entirely? If so, what would you say are the pros and cons? Do you think it is worth investing in a sony system in the long run (as in, is the general consensus that they will stick around for a while and keep innovating like they are?)

I might consider going a99 + a7s low light backup

They're sure to stick around and keep innovating since they're supplying sensors to at least half the market right now. The main thing to look out for is that they really really like to release 60 camera bodies a year, and maybe two firmware updates.

What exactly are you using it for though?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Autofocus is slow as gently caress, a few lenses don't really work right. Otherwise it should be fine.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Metabones has a list for tested lenses, the cheaper knock off ones can be expected to basically be the same but possibly slower AF and maybe aps-c only.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It should from something like the A or EF adapters, but what would it read from a Leica M dumb adapter?

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Apparently the display on the back of the A7II has RGBW pixel structure. I hope it isn't that terrible poo poo that failed hard on these Motorola smartphones two years ago.

Almost every portable LCD screen uses that now, except for Samsung's RGBG array. Maybe this means the A7ii will be the first that can actually be read in the goddamn sun.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Yeah, the display has been used a lot, and the issue with the Motorola ones is that they had awful DPI anyway. With higher DPI screens most of the issues aren't present. Presumably the actual viewfinder will still be the OLED RGB array/display they used in the previous viewfinders so it shouldn't affect actual shooting much.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That's probably how Sony's works too, since you can generally only pick 200/400/800 etc, though auto ISO will sometimes step in and say 320 or whatever.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

It's mostly comparing it to Fuji's constant updates and adding new features. The part that's skipped over is that Sony cameras don't really have much that needs to be added, and most of the Fuji features are things that Sony's had since the e-mount launch.

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

That looks like you got a really bad copy, it shouldn't fringe like that at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Karasu Tengu
Feb 16, 2011

Sounds to me like you don't need fullframe, save some bucks and get the a6000 and a good lens/adapter with it instead of an a7 and a mediocre lens.

• Locked thread