Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
If switching systems wouldn't cost a loving fortune every time, I'd probably be in for one of the next generation SLTs. Or whatever those with the autofocus on the sensor will be called. The focus peaking in the EVF is cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Bob Socko posted:

Out of curiosity, what's your setup like now? I'm not trying to be confrontational, I think it might be an interesting experiment to recreate someone's loadout if they were to switch teams.
Canon 6D, Samyang 24/1.4, Sigma 35/1.4 and Sigma 50/1.4. I've also some Tamron 70-300m Macro Somehingsomething, that I lent permanently from my dad, but it's mediocre and the AF seems broken.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Lowlight wide angle. There's merit in that. Unless you're focusing up close, once you've set it to infinity, you'll have all the fun. That drat Samyang/Rokinon could use a lock switch to block the focus ring, tho.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, I get selling off the quasi useless stuff, but I don't see what warrants ditching all of it. At least keep the A99 and one or more primes, because at one point, you'll probably get the regretsies.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

There's a rumor going around that Sony's working on a cross-brand lens compatible camera with a movable focal plane (i.e. sensor), ostensibly to lure users with glass to the Sony system.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sr5-there-is-a-sony-camera-to-come-also-for-nikon-and-canon-lens-owners/

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

If it turns out to be true, it'll probably some model proprietary mount, into which you'll screw an adapter mount for your previous lens system. If there'll be an A99 successor with that system, my wallet's going to weep.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Paul MaudDib posted:

I wouldn't be surprised to see a MILC with a DSLR-like form factor to accomodate the Contax AX-style focus system that Sony was supposedly working on.
From what I could find out lately, it seems like it'll be an APS-C sized sensor, which dampens my enthusiasm about it a bit. Still crossing my fingers for a fullframe version.

--edit:
Also, A-mount ain't dead yet.

http://www.sonyalpharumors.com/sony-says-two-a-mount-cameras-to-come-one-with-4k-and-one-full-frame-for-sports-photography/

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 17:11 on Oct 21, 2013

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I'm starting to slowly save money for a system change. If Canon shows anything usable during the Great Time of Savings, that plan might be scrapped due to existing glass, but I really doubt to see considerable sensor improvements (say 14 stops and/or full RGB sensor) and/or an EVF in the next 2-3 years. I'd really like a fullframe SLT, but considering the limited life of the A99, because it's supposedly being put out of production for the upcoming FF A-mount cameras, doesn't exactly create confidence. Not that it matters, once you own the camera, but the fact that Sony abandons a product that quickly kind of suggests they don't have faith in their own stuff.

That rumored Z-shift tech was hinted at allowing upcoming cameras to mount glass from the competition, but apparently it's planned APS-C only, so that's out again. :(

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Anyone here went with an A7/A7R and adapting EF lenses to it? What do you think of this solution?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Yeah, the AF I don't really care about, as long aperture functions. Is there a list what lenses have issues? I suppose it also depends on the adapter used?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

They say up to 4.5 stops. I'm really interested in this, because I'm doing urbex and sometimes I have to shoot handheld in low light because a tripod is impractical. Reducing ISO and subsequently noise on longer exposures would be awesome. Still waiting to see whether there'll be an A7II R, what the A9 will be and whether Canon will pull its head out of its rear end around CP+. Hopefully it'll also work with adapted lenses.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Nov 20, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ditto, I've already adjusted my budget to save for it for next spring.

Hopefully the A9 will be announced not too late, because I'd like to know what it is. Being supposedly a pro body, I secretly hope that it'll be the implied replacement for the A99 (big body, included A-mount adapter, et al). Sort of rolling the A7R II and A99 II into one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently it has a menu to select a focal length in case you screw on a manual or legacy lens.

MSRP of 1799€ in Germany.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

I suppose this shouldn't be necessary, if the camera gets information from the lens or adapter. Seems like all adapters with electronic contacts seem to be able to relay focal length to the camera.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The comment sections on SAR easily rival those on Youtube videos. :wtc:

Also, there were some PR slides released that read like anything else Mark II will likely be revealed in 2015 only. So unlikely we'll get to know about an A7R II, or A7S II anyway, this year.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently the display on the back of the A7II has RGBW pixel structure. I hope it isn't that terrible poo poo that failed hard on these Motorola smartphones two years ago.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Most recent smartphones with IPS type panels, that also have been put under the microscope during reviews, still show the traditional RGB pattern. The only displays I'm aware of also having white pixels are the terrible Pentile ones Motorola used back in the day.

Bob Socko posted:

Doubt it, they've been using that for a couple of years now and should have caught any kinks. The W pixel just replaces one of the G pixels the the Bayer array to help with brightness.
Talking about the display, not the sensor.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Unless the A9 has an RGB sensor or something else revolutionary, I don't see what will set it apart from the other A7 models. Everything it'll be able to offer are just more quality of life options.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh okay, glad to hear it's not a Pentile setup then. Some review site made it sound like the first A7 had a normal RGB one.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

The 6D one had the same layout (not that this wins them any awards), but is actually a new module.

As far as mirrorless goes, IBIS is what pushed me over the edge. I prefer big bodies for ergonomics, but since Canon goes nowhere with their sensor and Sony releases cool things like IBIS, a small body it is.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Adapting my EF lenses. All my glass is Sigma, doesn't keep its value.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Any information on how ISO steppings work with Sony in regards to amplification? On at least Canon, the hardware only supports powers of two, and any third stop ISO values have the camera select the closest hardware ISO and do math on the sensor output, potentially capping shadows or highlights, depending on the bias. This the same with Sony?

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Meanwhile I keep reading that the A7 series is "ISO-less", as in that there's no gain applied to the signal readout and that the ISO setting is pretty much just metadata in the RAW file. Or some poo poo, I didn't really get it fully, but it doesn't seem traditional.

See here: http://blog.kasson.com/?p=4928

Given how much he's sperging about camera sensors, I suppose he's right. So I guess third stops don't matter.

--edit: I guess the idea is, if I shoot an image at ISO 100 and 3200 while maintaining same shutter speed and aperture, the RAW readouts are the same, ignoring the virtually non-existent read noise that makes it possible to begin with. It's Lightroom or whatever else that then acts on the RAW data given the ISO setting stored in the file.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 22:50 on Dec 16, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

What are those complaints about Sony throwing devices on the market and then not supplying firmware updates? I've seen that the A7 received two the last year (i.e. its whole lifetime), that's a slightly faster pace than the EOS 6D of mine.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Protip: Don't leave your A7/A7II in continuous drive mode, if not necessary. It'll drop the bitdepth of the ADC to keep up with read outs. Not sure how much that applies to the A7R/A7S.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Oh drat, the FE-mount Zeiss 35mm/1.4 is a different design from the existing 35mm Distagons. I wonder if it'll actually beat the Sigma now or not.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Waiting for reviews and MTF charts myself. I'd like an autofocused 35mm, but if the new design is still performing worse than the Sigma Art, I'd rather rely on the lovely CDAF of the EF-FE adapter, especially considering the Zeiss is twice the price of the Sigma.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Jimlad posted:

Do bear in mind as well, Sony are due a camera body update announcement imminently (probably within the next month, although no guarantees) so you might want to consider holding out for that - if only because it'll probably mean you can get older bodies a bit cheaper.
The A7R II if the rumors are correct. It'll make the A7R somewhat cheaper. The R series has two huge drawbacks, tho. For one, the shutter is loving heavy and loud, so there's considerable shutter shock to be dealt with. Nor does it have an electronic first curtain. And then, it doesn't have phase detection points on the sensor, so even if you were to get electronic FE glass eventually, you'll still be stuck with contrast detection autofocus (i.e. the slow and hunting one).

LiquidRain posted:

I've honestly never been good at MF, frankly quite terrible at it, and while I used to use it on a Rebel a long time ago I basically went all-in on AF on my 7D about 4 years back
First of all, if you're trying to MF with large aperture lenses with the stock focusing screens in Canon DSLRs, forget it. The DOF shown in the VF is larger than what the lens sees (around f2.8, even when a f1.0 is mounted). That's a trade-off for cutting the microprisms in such a way that it appears brighter. You can install a more precise one, however depending on what Canon deemed worthwhile for the camera, the effort may differ between simply pulling a latch or taking a screwdriver to town. The EVF in Sony cameras just shows you what the sensor sees.

Second, with the Sony cameras you get focusing aids in the EVF, both peaking (high contrast boundaries get highlighted) and magnification* (zooming in). While latter doesn't help on action shots, former can help placing focus a little better and quicker (altho your DOF needs to be of some distance, trying to quickly place accurate focus with say 50mm/1.4 on a subject at an arms length or two, that don't work without magnification).

And finally, if you spend another 100 bux, you can keep your Canon gear. With slow but accurate AF, tho.

*: You can get magnification on Canon, too, in LiveView mode. Personally, I don't dig holding a camera at arms length, tho. Especially when a heavy lens is mounted.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 15, 2015

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Focusing the native and manual Mitakon 50mm/0.95 with the EVF, works just awesome.

Westwall by cerealbawx, on Flickr

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Some Spanish photography magazine interviewed some Sony folks and one tidbit that came out of it was that the current FE lenses can resolve a future 50MP sensor. Two things can be assumed from this, the A7R II is real and coming, and the Zeiss 35mm may just beat the Sigma, making my wallet cry in near future.

Also, that new piezoelectric DirectDrive SSM :rice: system can supposedly keep anything under the phase detection sensors in focus both continuously and smoothly. Do want.

Combat Pretzel fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Feb 17, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Some dumb shits in Germany are relabelling the Mitakon f0.95 E-mount lenses and selling them for three times as much.

http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.de/de/nocturnus-f095-50mm/

http://www.meyer-optik-goerlitz.de/de/nocturnus-f095-35mm/

That this poo poo flies...

--edit: Apparently the other lenses they offer are also from Mitakon/Zy Optics.

• Locked thread