Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I'm hoping this is the best place to ask since there are about three other threads this could apply to. I've got an a290 I purchased some time back while traveling and I figure I'm overdue in learning to use it. I've started playing around and have already realized the kit lens isn't doing it for me. Since I'm currently living in the middle of the jungle with cool insects everywhere, and macro shots have always interested me, I'd like to get a macro lens. I see an overwhelming amount of websites and tech info to choose from and don't want to mess my selection up. I've got about $250 or so I'd like to spend, less is better however. Is this a worthwhile lens?

http://www.amazon.com/Sony-SAL30M28...IN%3DB004MB45Y0

Any other suggestions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
So I've decided to change my priorities for a bit and not focus on macro for the time being due to price. (Unless I've stupidly listed a macro lenses in my choices.) After reading through the original post and searching a bit, I decided on Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF Lens and Sony 55-200mm f/4-5.6 SAM DT. Are these good choices for the next step after my kit lenses?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is there some way to know where the white balance settings fall on the color temperature scale? Is there some standard values for them? The only value my camera displays is the custom white setting. If it matters I have an A290 with 1.0 software.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006

Elliotw2 posted:

Here's a graph of about what the camera decides in the auto modes.

I'm guessing K means you can specify the value. My camera didn't come with that. Oh well. Thanks.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
I've got the Minolta 50mm f1.7 AF Lens and the 18-55mm kit lens. I'm looking to make a purchase of another lens or two to take macro shots and get have a nice zoom depending on how well my current lenses already achieve these things. I was thinking maybe the Sony 55-200 f/4-5.6 DT and Minolta AF 50mm F2.8 Macro. What do you guys think?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Continuing on from my lens question.

Would it be worth it to upgrade from my Sony A290 ($160 resale) and add an extra $200 to get a better model or get more lenses? Currently I've got a Minolta 50mm 1.7f and18-55mm kit lens. I'd like a camera with more physical buttons, higher ISO, video, custom white balance setting. I'm thinking I should deal with the camera a bit longer and get better lenses. What do you guys think?

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Is the A55 the best I could get used for around $350? My A290 instead of being sellable has decided to give up on me and I need a new (used) camera. $350 is about my limit and I'm hoping for something decently better than the A290.

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Since I managed to get a video of the issue, anyone have any suggestions? Can't take it to a repair shop until I'm back in the States.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8JbUkZJh-w

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

huhu
Feb 24, 2006
Question about the A55... what is the point of the AF button on the back of the camera? Just a second way to focus? I was under the impression that you could use that instead of half pressing the shutter to focus but there doesn't appear to be a menu option to disable half pressing focus. (Unless I'm an idiot.)

• Locked thread