Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Aw nuts! Thanks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chexoid
Nov 5, 2009

Now that I have this dating robot I can take it easy.
Man it should be illegal to be as funny as Mitch Hurwitz. After a certain point it just makes you feel bad about yourself.

Sakarja
Oct 19, 2003

"Our masters have not heard the people's voice for generations and it is much, much louder than they care to remember."

Capitalism is the problem. Anarchism is the answer. Join an anarchist union today!

Chexoid posted:

Man it should be illegal to be as funny as Mitch Hurwitz. After a certain point it just makes you feel bad about yourself.

Yeah, he should totally do that rival podcast, it would be the best thing.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I would listen to Hurwitzburg, absolutely. He's just so drat quick. This was a good episode.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007
So why did Spencer switch games?

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Drunkboxer posted:

So why did Spencer switch games?

The home game spencer runs for dan is in pathfinder, which is probably the main reason why he switched (to keep both games easy to run simultaneously). You can note the unstated effects of the home game on the podcast by Jeff's reaction to d and d; he's a huge grognard now about it, in comparison to his previous bemused detachment mostly to humor Dan (this is also why, I suspect, spencer didn't choose any of Jeff's feats).

Also, spencer can now say he's not only a master of dungeons, but a master of all games.

SoupyTwist
Feb 20, 2008
Oh god, I hope that Jeff Davis Analyse Phish episode happens soon.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Erin released her side of the engagement story.

Holy poo poo.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!
Go on...

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

It was a week of non-stop fighting and crying, culminating in a last-minute proposal in front of a dumpster.

Also, a woman's mind is a scary place.

superjew
Sep 5, 2007

No fair! You changed the outcome by measuring it!

Irish Joe posted:

It was a week of non-stop fighting and crying, culminating in a last-minute proposal in front of a dumpster.

Also, a woman's mind is a scary place.

That certainly is a much different angle than he gave.

Well I hope it works out for them but if it doesn't season 6 of community will be the best thing on television in the history of the medium.

head58
Apr 1, 2013

I really, seriously don't get that relationship. Exhibit A: the Pittsburgh show. What a vortex of emotional neediness. They should be forced to listen to it every morning of their married life.

Ograbme
Jul 26, 2003

D--n it, how he nicks 'em
Where is she talking about it? The 5th google result for her name is the unfortunately truncated article title "Dan Harmon's Girlfriend Comes To His Defense Over Rape ... "

Tavarin
May 10, 2003

I am definitely a madman with a box

Ograbme posted:

Where is she talking about it? The 5th google result for her name is the unfortunately truncated article title "Dan Harmon's Girlfriend Comes To His Defense Over Rape ... "

She has a podcast on Feral Audio called This Feels Terrible and talks about it in the most recent episode.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
I knew from the description that this week's episode would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. Don't make the same mistake I did, skip the first hour and a half and just listen to D&D.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Direct link, proofread this time: http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%2085%20MAIN.mp3

Arstan
May 30, 2012

Thanks Cinco

Irish Joe posted:

I knew from the description that this week's episode would be bad, but I didn't know it would be THAT bad. Don't make the same mistake I did, skip the first hour and a half and just listen to D&D.

Elaborate! I imagine it's horrible in a "Dan shuts out reasonable people while letting clowns like Levi and Adam ramble incoherently," sort of badness. It'll have to be that level of bad to be skippable.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
90 minutes of gender politics featuring Dan, Jeff, Erin and Kumail. They spend most of that time trying to figure out what toys they should buy a child for a gender neutral upbringing. Dan also spends a lot of time talking about gender on his moon colony without actually saying anything or expressing an opinion (except "race is easy"). Kumail tried to throw in a few jokes, but even he couldn't save the show from Dan and Jeff's insufferable pondering.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.

Arstan posted:

Elaborate! I imagine it's horrible in a "Dan shuts out reasonable people while letting clowns like Levi and Adam ramble incoherently," sort of badness. It'll have to be that level of bad to be skippable.

You know Adam posts here, right?

Beef Jerky Robot
Sep 20, 2009

"And the DICK?"

Golden Bee posted:

Well your speeches do get pretty rambly.

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

Golden Bee posted:

That does not make him not a clown

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

Maybe it's because of my sociology background, but I found the discussion on gender identity really interesting. The nature of the freewheeling discussion means that they're never going to come to any grand conclusions, and Dan's insecurity undermines whatever progress they do make, but there's still a lot of good food for thought, if it's a topic one isn't turned off by. Because Dan obviously hasn't studied gender roles in academia, he can't quite fully articulate himself, but he was trying to question the whole necessity of the gender binary. Sadly, no one else understood or wanted to go there, so the conversation would always quickly return to the safer (but still interesting) ground of negotiating current gender roles, figuring out what constitutes a "gender-neutral" upbringing, etc. Kumail and Jeff each had a couple of good stories too.
So not at all a waste of time IMO, and certainly much less navel-gazey than the recent alcoholism pedophile episode. It's a shame D&D was cut short, but it was only because they were just getting to some really funny stuff at 90 mins in. They probably should have had Erin and Kumail come up earlier, though.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Beef Jerky Robot posted:

Well your speeches do get pretty rambly.

No argument there.

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Golden Bee posted:

No argument there.

For what it's worth you made the right move in banning Levi, although I wish you had explained better that just because Harmontown is ostensibly an island of misfit toys doesn't give someone carte blanche to be annoying as poo poo. This seemed to be the main issue that Dan didn't really seem to grasp when you were brought on stage a couple of months ago, which is weird since he's otherwise so tech-savvy.

And yeah I was super fascinated with this week's episode as opposed to the pedophile one which I utterly hated. Mostly because Dan didn't spend it repeating the same two words over and over.

NieR Occomata fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Jan 16, 2014

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

JesusFists posted:

Because Dan obviously hasn't studied gender roles in academia, he can't quite fully articulate himself, but he was trying to question the whole necessity of the gender binary. Sadly, no one else understood or wanted to go there,

Yeah. Dan made the observation early on that they were all inside the 'LA Bubble'* and the conversation did indeed suffer for it. Things only got interesting once they started including subjects and viewpoints from outside that bubble (the woman from the audience and Jeff's gay experiences, for example). Without perspective--without opposing viewpoints--conversations like the one on the show quickly become tiresome because its just people agreeing with and reinforcing each others' sheltered beliefs.

Which is exactly what happened.

*it also sucks that there wasn't a single parent to add much needed real-world perspective to the conversation.

super fart shooter
Feb 11, 2003

-quacka fat-
Jeff's stories were great, and I was as surprised as Kumail, I didn't know anything about him being a child on the broadway stage.

JesusFists
Feb 14, 2005

ong-time listener, first-time caller.

According to the latest Community episode, one day Troy and Abed plan to live on the moon. With ROBOT BODIES :science:

Brekelefuw
Dec 16, 2003
I Like Trumpets
Jeff was a guest on the latest totally laime podcast. He tells his whole backstory about bring a child actor and stuff. Very interesting .

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Latest episode:

http://www.castmate.fm:8080/h/a/r/harmontownpodcast/HARMONTOWN%2086%20MAIN.mp3

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
Jesus, Dan with the whole face eating thing in DnD.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
So I only just decided to start listening to this podcast, does the DND game stuff start anywhere specific or is it one of those 'go back to the start and listen' kinda things?

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!

Tatum Girlparts posted:

So I only just decided to start listening to this podcast, does the DND game stuff start anywhere specific or is it one of those 'go back to the start and listen' kinda things?

There some character creation stuff in like episode 6 and 7. Then the game actually starts from episode 8 onwards

NieR Occomata
Jan 18, 2009

Glory to Mankind.

Tatum Girlparts posted:

Spencers brought up for the first time in five, and from then on it's weekly.

Apple Mummy
Oct 11, 2012

Someone edited the D&D parts out into separate files, if you'd rather catch up that way.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/18252097/harmontown.html

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Insanity Prawn posted:

Jesus, Dan with the whole face eating thing in DnD.

Dan railing against bad/lazy writing is always amazing.

See also: episode 59.

Insanity Prawn
Jul 17, 2007
Hooray for moon jesus!
I dunno I liked his rant in that one, this was just more frustrating, with him not getting the point.

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
Whether he got it or not, it was funnier for him to keep going with it, especially when Spencer had the NPC turn it around so Dan could "catch" him.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

Insanity Prawn posted:

I dunno I liked his rant in that one, this was just more frustrating, with him not getting the point.

"I was blackout drunk last week, I wasn't listening."

*Ignores entire audience and cast shouting at him to let it go*

"I'M MAKING A LARGER POINT HERE"

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax

Golden Bee posted:

*Ignores entire audience and cast shouting at him to let it go*

Entire audience =/= Adam Goldberg

Insanity Prawn posted:

He got the point. Its just that when you're trying to get someone to trust you, casually bringing up how you haven't murdered/robbed/raped them yet is stupid. Like if you talking to your stockbroker and asked him if he was looking after your best interests and he replied "if I wanted to steal your money I would have done it already," you would close your account immediately. Making threats to build trust isn't rational behavior; not even in the made-up worlds of D&D. To pretend otherwise is metagaming.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Berzerker
Feb 24, 2006

treat me like a dog

I usually like when Dan grabs onto something and refuses to let it go but this was just annoying. Maybe it's because he usually does that during the non-D&D parts of the show? The D&D lately has been horrible because they're always hammered and don't remember what's happening and don't even want to do it (or some do and some don't - Jeff really wanted to play this week, and Dan clearly didn't). I think it was annoying to me because I saw the file length, saw that there were ~30 minutes left when they said "time for D&D", and thought they might actually DO something this episode. Instead I got 30 minutes of "OHHH EXCUUUUUUSE MEEEEE"-stuff.