Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Place both .2da files in your override (give them both a unique name for the moment). Boot the toolset, open both .2da files (View - 2DA file) and save them in order to give them both the same formatting.
Then use a program like Winmerge to compare the two. Check what's different and implement one file's changes into the other. You may also want to grab the original file from NWN2's Data folder and compare both mods individually to that first so you know what each mod changes exactly.

That's helpful, thanks!

Which ones of the original .2da files is best to use for comparisons? There seems to be one for the main game and one for each expansion.

I've been fiddling around with WinMerge for a bit and it seems that the Distance Tweaks mod only alters a few variables on each line (speficially CREPERSPACE, HITDIST, and PREFATCKDIST) but doesn't seem to be conflicting with either Kaedrin or Plot Fixes, so as far as I can tell it should be safe to just merge those new variables into the older modded files.

Can I use WinMerge for this as well, or do I have to manually copy/paste every variable?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I got called out on twitter for not ever finishing the walkthrough so I loaded up my last game last night and, wouldn't you know it, I'd stopped playing right before the Ilfarn ruins again. I made it through both the part with Gellhu and the Ghost lights before losing my will to play last night. Tonight, Temple of Seasons, and it's all downhill from there.

Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Jastiger posted:

Ah...well if it was the last level then I'm not going to go back into it. I replayed through BG and BG 2, but I don't know if I could stand to go through NWN 2 all over again. Thats too bad.

Yeah, if you slog through the whole thing again, you'll dislike the ending even more than everyone else. This is a really great LP of it, it can scratch the itch pretty well (and it really highlights the good things about the story):

http://lparchive.org/Neverwinter-Nights-2/

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Krowley posted:

Which ones of the original .2da files is best to use for comparisons? There seems to be one for the main game and one for each expansion.
The one from the last expansion is the latest version of the file, so check 2DA_X2.zip.

Krowley posted:

Can I use WinMerge for this as well, or do I have to manually copy/paste every variable?
You can. Winmerge can copy over each individual difference from one file to the other.
Just be carefull that you're copying the correct differences from mod A into mod B and don't accidentily delete mod B's edits. That's why I adviced to have the original file at hand so you can check what is and isn't an edit.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Welp, it ended up being more work than I thought, mostly because I've never done this stuff before and I had to do some of it manually, but I eventually managed to merge both baseitems.2da files, hopefully without error. Also it turned out that the Plot Fixes appearance.2da file alters the same variables anyway, so I just removed it.

Here's the file in case anyone else wants to use Distance Tweaks with Kaedrin's PRC: http://www.filesnack.com/files/cdxmqnj1

And here's where you get Distance Tweaks: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=217

I tested it for the Okku battle and it seemed to work as advertised. It was far less cluttered than before.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Gonna add a link to that in the OP.

Would you mind if I mirrored the file on my hosting, as well?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nah, go right ahead. I put a little readme with it as well

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I've got the GOG Deluxe NWN2 installed, and the two mod packs from the OP plus Kaedrin's, and in the very first "open the chest and get the furs" tutorial scene, the controls seem pretty screwed up. Turning shuffles me sideways, and then going forward might re-orient the camera or might not. Sometimes I can click on the ground to move, but usually not.

I'm on Win7 64, and I'm hoping I don't have to do a binary search of the mods to see what could be screwing it up. Anyone seen this before? The dad character also stuttered and jerked in his walking animation at the beginning, but that's less of a concern.

EDIT: OK, the keybindings weren't what they were said to be (Q/E and A/D were swapped), and now that I've got LMB mouse-look on, it's just the stuttery/jumpy graphics that are displeasing. I have a pretty beefy machine, and nothing looks to be pegged, so I'm not sure quite what's going on there.

EDIT 2: aaaaand, the Client Extension patch made everything smooth. Excellent, now to wander in bright sunlight with my Drow for a bit.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 07:08 on Oct 8, 2013

Stroth
Mar 31, 2007

All Problems Solved

Interociter posted:

and now that I've got LMB mouse-look on, it's just the stuttery/jumpy graphics that are displeasing. I have a pretty beefy machine, and nothing looks to be pegged, so I'm not sure quite what's going on there.

Yeah, this game is horribly optimized.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I crashed quicksaving in Fort Locke, and apparently that deleted my quicksave as well. Excellent work, Obsidian! Back to the Willow Inn.

(loving really?)

EDIT: malloc() failed, so I guess it's leaky? Really sucks that it can blow away quicksaves, though...

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

I'm running with persistent con/dex damage on Neeshka and my dex-needing PC, and I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of it. Just suck it up until Neverwinter and pay off a priest there?

EDIT: travel to West Harbor, let Brother Merring fix it all up.

Subjunctive fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Oct 9, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Interociter posted:

I'm running with persistent con/dex damage on Neeshka and my dex-needing PC, and I'm not sure how to go about getting rid of it. Just suck it up until Neverwinter and pay off a priest there?
EDIT: travel to West Harbor, let Brother Merring fix it all up.
If you keep a paladin/cleric/druid in your party, they have some usefull spells for that sort of thing. Restoration, remove disease, etc.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

KittyEmpress posted:

Is that PW still kicking? I would be up for making a warlock who thinks she will be lynched constantly or something. Love me some warlocks.

Which, Legacy? The goon run one? Nah, it imploded a few months ago and I heard even the creator, Troy, quit.

From what I heard, basically one angry selfish dude wormed his way into an important DM position, he already had a pretty prominent PC that ran fief, he formed a tiny clique of cutthroat players and then systematically started murdering off literally everyone in sight in mostly poor sportsmanship ways, with lots of miscommunication and DM entrapment. Caused a bunch of people to just up and quit because frankly that's just not fun from a community perspective, and like half the team quit too. I'm sure there was more to it behind the scenes, but I had already quit by then because both of the guys I played with most had sort of burnt out and quit too, and we all started playing other stuff on Steam.

Real shame, too. For the year I played on it it was a really drat good server with some of the craziest plotlines I've seen on a PW. I keep hoping some of the better DMs (Blackout, cbear, Kiroy, PsiOmega, Troy) take the systems that were coded for it and make a new server, but at this stage in NWN2's life, that'd probably be a losing battle. :smith:

Fuzz fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Oct 10, 2013

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut

Fuzz posted:

Which, Legacy? The goon run one? Nah, it imploded a few months ago and I heard even the creator, Troy, quit.

From what I heard, basically one angry selfish dude wormed his way into an important DM position, he already had a pretty prominent PC that ran fief, he formed a tiny clique of cutthroat players and then systematically started murdering off literally everyone in sight in mostly poor sportsmanship ways, with lots of miscommunication and DM entrapment. Caused a bunch of people to just up and quit because frankly that's just not fun from a community perspective, and like half the team quit too. I'm sure there was more to it behind the scenes, but I had already quit by then because both of the guys I played with most had sort of burnt out and quit too, and we all started playing other stuff on Steam.

Real shame, too. For the year I played on it it was a really drat good server with some of the craziest plotlines I've seen on a PW. I keep hoping some of the better DMs (Blackout, cbear, Kiroy, PsiOmega, Troy) take the systems that were coded for it and make a new server, but at this stage in NWN2's life, that'd probably be a losing battle. :smith:

Goddamn was there ever a serious RP server that wasn't torn apart by drama?

SheepNameKiller
Jun 19, 2004

folgore posted:

Nope, never and I'm surprised you even feel the need to ask this question.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)

folgore posted:

Not that I've played on either. I played on a server called AnchorDeep for years. I was a DM for awhile and opted to forgo the politics and only run quests and build. I wasn't the head DM but I was one of the first, and over the years I watched DM/Player politics tear the server apart. By the time I decided to break off and start something of my own, the game had already lost much of its player base.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

folgore posted:

EFU is still running, and it's like 8 years old. I'm not sure if there has ever been a popular rp server that just ended, rather than exploding from drama, so it could still happen.

I don't understand why so many rpers are such drama queens.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

Abysswalker posted:

EFU is still running, and it's like 8 years old. I'm not sure if there has ever been a popular rp server that just ended, rather than exploding from drama, so it could still happen.

This world is for, and centered around, me and my precious snowflake character!

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Abysswalker posted:

There's about three common things leading up to this.

1: The first (and biggest) problem is that RP tends to bring out the "special snowflake" syndrome so much, because not a whole lot else gives this much degree of creative control and freedom to people. People get really invested in their characters, what they do, how they do it, and it's stupidly easy for even perfectly rational and reasonable people to get upset because they feel their stuff isn't getting enough respect or something.
2: The second is that when you get onto RP servers, there tends to be "celebrities". People whose characters have done such and such feats, or people who are supposedly the awesomest players, or excellent in PvP, etc--and then swelled heads are involved. People who want to be with the celebrities, people cruising by on their newfound fame and becoming jackasses because of it, people who hate them for perceived slights, etc. MMOs are especially notorious for this.
3: The third is that it's also stupidly easy to forget that RP is a multiplayer thing--it's not just one person, it's people hanging out together and shooting the poo poo, basically typing away in an over-the-internet notepad. The goal is to have fun, to do stuff both you and your partner likes rather than just focus on you, but a lot of people want to focus on winning and/or doing what only they want.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

4.Having DMs often be selected from players means they are a lot more likely to play favorites, and this can greatly upset balance.

To note, one server I played on you could grind to 20, but to get epic levels you had to either have Event XP or RP XP (Event XP being given by DMs, RP XP being given by having people right click and write a blurb about how they enjoyed RPing with you today). Well one of the factions became the darlings of a DM with literally no life, and despite the fact that each player could only receive 500 Event XP per day, three people from a single faction were level 24 before anyone else had epic levels because the DM ran events every day for the first two months of the server, and all three of them were at every event.

This was a server with PVP. And this certain faction happened to be the 'we take slaves and kill anyone who fucks with us and strength is all that matters' one who were allowed to attack on sight. So everyone outside of it began either leaving or joining that faction. So other DMs quit because no one came to their events for their factions. So eventually the server imploded on itself.

Basically, it was loving dumb. I managed to get to be the only person to reach epic level not of that faction and the next day an event was run where I got killed for being a warlock, by those three. And even though the event was being run under the assumption of all parties being permanently dead if they hit dead PVP wise, when I killed one of them the DM said as long as the other two survived they could save him. :downs:

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

I can think of only one RP thing I HAVEN'T seen implode or haven't seen in so long it might have by now.

I say RP thing instead of server since it was just a tavern run by one guy, only RP area on it. Just a bunch of guys shootin the poo poo, trying to play up whatever they'd done while still being in character. It was actually pretty funny watching some of them try and out bullshit the others or complain about some random NPC being a price gouger or whatever the hell was going on at the time.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)
So I've been working on prototyping a game as part of a project for class, and I decided to use NWN1 to prototype it.

The basic gameplay is set up for 6 players right now. The game takes place in a medieval Northern town, where a Werewolf is killing off the local townsfolk. It's up to the players to figure out who the Werewolf is, and stop him.

The game is set up to be played in about 20-30 mins. One player is randomly selected to be the Werewolf. Two other players are randomly selected to be a Hunter and a Doctor, respectively. The rest of the players are just townsfolk, and have to assist the other players in finding and killing the Werewolf. The Hunter and Doctor both have shops in town, with equipment to assist in killing the Werewolf and helping the townies survive. However, the location of each shop changes each time the game starts.

Since each selection is random and secret, there's no way to know which player was chosen to be the Werewolf, or any other occupation, until the Werewolf player decides to strike. In one on one combat, the Werewolf can easily take out a townie, so the they'll have to work together to survive. Also, the clock is against them. With each game hour (1min real time) the players (including the Werewolf) all take damage from the cold, slowly freezing. The doctor can help, if he can make it to his shop alive.

The townies win by killing the Werewolf, or by signaling the nearest military outpost for help. The Werewolf wins by killing all of the townies.

If you'd like to play, there are no Haks required.

The server IP is: 65.33.194.196

6 players are required to start a game.

Characters may ONLY have FIGHTER levels. Any other class will be booted (just reconnect and make a fighter). This is to eliminate spell casting, as I'd like it to be as gritty as possible.

I check this thread pretty regularly, so post here if there are any problems. I'll be making updates to the game as often as possible. Feedback will speed this up!

Suggestions are welcome and ENCOURAGED! Help me develop this into something...awesome.

Enjoy! Thanks!

SorcerousHam
Apr 8, 2011

Abysswalker posted:

I think half the reason why EFU's lasted so long is because people can make a special snowflake all they want, but there's a good chance they're going to die. Even the biggest and most powerful heroes and villains get their asses kicked and permed eventually.

So I guess the solution to PW drama is dick punching, but dick punching in a relatively fair manner? You are going to get punched in the dick eventually, but you'll have quite the ride before it happens.

Equal opportunity dick punching, no matter who you might be.

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

Adjusted the Werewolf module so that only 3+ players are required to start a match.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Wearing +int gear doesn't affect skill points at level-up, right? Because that would be too hard for my min-maxy brain to resist, but lame bookkeeping as well.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Interociter posted:

Wearing +int gear doesn't affect skill points at level-up, right? Because that would be too hard for my min-maxy brain to resist, but lame bookkeeping as well.

No, it doesn't.

Sartana
Jun 8, 2013
So does the Shadowlands/Dreamcatcher etc. campaign set for NWN1 get significantly better? I'm interested in the scope of it and the OP makes it sound amazing, but so far the first chapter seems kinda, eh... bland.

Brave New World
Mar 10, 2010

Sartana posted:

So does the Shadowlands/Dreamcatcher etc. campaign set for NWN1 get significantly better? I'm interested in the scope of it and the OP makes it sound amazing, but so far the first chapter seems kinda, eh... bland.

I had the same reaction when I played it back in...Holy poo poo, 2003?! It really wasn't THAT good, but everyone acted like it was undisputedly the best module of all time.

Be careful if you play the Stephan Gagne modules too. They have extremely well written storylines, but they're not standard mods in the usual sense where you run around killing stuff, collecting loot, etc. Although they tend to have level requirements(for no real reason), they totally disregard D&D mechanics like level, class, equipment, etc. He made mods that were like Planescape: Torment with zero emphasis on combat.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Anyone have any experience with the Cormyr PW for NWN2?

The Chad Jihad
Feb 24, 2007

Sartana posted:

It improves steadily with each chapter, if I remember right chapter 3-4 for Shadowlords is where things start to pick up. I wouldn't say they ever get TRULY excellent (the writing never pulls itself out of its sub-whedonesque humor) but the journey feels appropriately epic and the author loves adding weird minigames and puzzles like a magic the gathering clone or a simple arcade shooter, and fortunately you can skip all of them

CuddlyZombie
Nov 6, 2005

I wuv your brains.

How annoying ingame is it as a result of disabling TonyK's auto weapon switching to have compatibility with Kaedrin's prc pack? The old version isn't available anymore, y'see.

Abysswalker
Apr 25, 2013

For some reason I can't play Revenant, it crashes on loading. I didn't have anything in my overrides folder when I tried, is there something special I have to do for that module?

Sartana posted:

Yes, shadowlord improves every chapter, 1 and 2 are pretty meh, 3 is ok, 4 and 5 are pretty good. Chapter 2 and 3 have unwinnable fights that I just had to run past. The way you get past the skeleton chieftain in 2 is locking him behind that gate you can only open with levers. (I doubt that is intended, I think the module was just literally never playtested.)

If you want a campaign that's good all the way through, my favorite nwn campaign is "The Aielund Saga". Also; don't play tortured hearts, just don't. It has a high rating so you might want to try it, but...no.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Myself and three of my friends are planning on running through SoZ together, looking forward to an old school dungeon crawl type thing. Are there any must-have mods or fixes or anything we should know before starting? Myself and one other of my friends have experience with NwN2, the other two are completely new.

Or is SoZ so terrible that we should just find something else?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Quantumfate posted:

Myself and three of my friends are planning on running through SoZ together, looking forward to an old school dungeon crawl type thing. Are there any must-have mods or fixes or anything we should know before starting? Myself and one other of my friends have experience with NwN2, the other two are completely new.

Or is SoZ so terrible that we should just find something else?

SoZ is probably the ideal official module to run multiplayer.

No mandatory mods, but Kaedrins is nice if you're so inclined. It adds a lot of complexity though if folks are new to 3E in general.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

What's a good build for a Stormlord? This is for an RP PW, so I don't care about weirdo races and crazy 1 level multiclassing... they require at least 3 contiguous levels in a class before you multi, and I'm leaning towards Cleric as the divine caster for it (unless someone gives a solid argument otherwise) and mainly want to pretend to be Thor (as in, the comic book guy) with a spear. Not claiming to be son of Talos (though that could be fun) but mostly just being a brash and arrogant prick.

Alternative is either an Eldritch Knight or Arcane Trickster or something like that... the server (Cormyr) has Dimension Door and teleport spells, and some sort of Wizard or something that incorporates that would be neat, but yeah... I like to hit things and not be made of paper or at least make up for it with awesome skills. Thoughts/ideas? They aren't using Kaedrin's.

Also any of you play on there?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?117100

You can ditch Able Learner and the Assassin dip for whatever to meet the level reqs.

Edit: That said, don't roll a cleric/stormlord if you want to play a skillmonkey. You'll be getting 2/level and dumping Int for the most part.

Edit 2: Here are some other choices that don't suck:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?37132 - this one gets HiPS (the best feat in the game), a 5d6 Sneak Attack, and EDM/DS, but it's kind of a late bloomer.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?18951 - this version is a cleave monster with nutso Strength.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?82137 - this is a fun Warlock/FS/SL hybrid that gives you a ~10d6 persistent damage aura. If your server isn't using K's, this (using Death Ward to prevent Con Damage from hellfire, quicken on Eldritch Blast, etc.) may or may not be fixed - it is in K's, but I know nothing about Cormyrs custom stuff. Here's a version that is also an Orc: http://nwn2db.com/build/?234
http://nwn2db.com/build/?10093 - Crit Machine Weapon Master variant. For when you just want to stab things in the face.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 17, 2013

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

If you don't care for min maxing builds, going Druid until you can grab Elephant's Hide is powerful and does not rely on taking a bunch of classes. Played a druid/stormlord myself way back when, and it is pretty easy to get to high tier but not min maxed levels.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

Fuzz posted:

Also any of you play on there?

I might as well hop on and join the inevitable goon squad. Unless there's another PW people are ganging onto.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

I've still got NWN2 installed so I could try it if the game is fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gentwise
Sep 12, 2003
Gentwise Bankfourthe, Esquire.
I'm trying to play NWN2 with the mod compilation from the OP. The gameplay is fun enough, but holy crap, it feels like I'm fighting the camera as much as the wolves and lizardmen. The A.I. also behaves very strangely, but that's probably because I haven't really delved into all that mod's AI options.

• Locked thread