Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

I didn't really enjoy Dark Waters. It remained buggy as hell throughout, to the point where I literally have no idea what happened at the end, whether it was intended to be so confusing or who was supposed to be there. Halfway through the second module, you have to defend a character (or something) who can be killed... and if she gets killed, you're hosed and have to reload. Didn't realise that and saved after you finished the tough battle, only to realise she was missing and go looking for her? Time to restart the module! :psyduck:

Also it had a few really fun diversions but was also the peak of Adam Miller's progression into gimmicky tacked-on stuff instead of good, coherent gameplay, but that's a matter of taste, I guess. Can't knock him for pushing the scripting to its limits and creating pretty unique experiences. There was definitely a good game in there, it was just way, way too disjointed and incoherent - combined with the bugginess, it was just surreal and confusing to play most of the time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GlowingFauxPas
Jul 24, 2002

TraditiOWNED
Does the Cleric Fire/Air whatever domain resistance stack with warlock/heritage resistance?

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Nope.

GlowingFauxPas
Jul 24, 2002

TraditiOWNED
Aw, thanks. Another question: is crafting wands prohibitively expensive? I'm considering taking the craft domain (Kaedrin), which gives craft wand, but I don't know how much gold you get in the OC/MotB

GlowingFauxPas fucked around with this message at 17:00 on Apr 20, 2014

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

GlowingFauxPas posted:

Aw, thanks. Another question: is crafting wands prohibitively expensive? I'm considering taking the craft domain (Kaedrin), which gives craft wand, but I don't know how much gold you get in the OC/MotB

You get tons and tons and tons of gold, particularly in MotB.

That said, Wands aren't really worth it for the most part, and Crafting is kind of a waste of a feat for the PC. It's a good choice for Sand, Elanee, and Zhjave in the OC, and Safiya has all the crafting feats you'll need in MotB.

JustJeff88
Jan 15, 2008

I AM
CONSISTENTLY
ANNOYING
JUST TERRIBLE

THIS BADGE OF SHAME IS WORTH 0.45 DOUBLE DRAGON ADVANCES

:dogout:
of SA-Mart forever
One thing I will always thank 3rd edition and its various games for is introducing some more variety in magic. I got fed up kind of quickly with having nothing but fireball and magic missile in older games, to be quite honest, and I was happy to see something fresh like the Missile Swarm spells and Scintillating Sphere (basically an electric fireball, but still).

Extreme example, but I just played through most of Warriors of the Eternal Sun from the Genesis in 1992. I played a caster heavy party with a Magic-User, Cleric, and two elves (warrior/M-U hybrids). There are a few spells that can be bought in the one town, but some literally have one copy in the whole drat game... like Lightening (that is how it's spelled in-game) Bolt. Seriously... there is one scroll for that spell quite late in the game, but that's it - my M-U has it but my elves don't. Fireball, though, can be bought. You can also eventually buy wands of Ice Storm, Fireball, and Fear, but there is only one Wand of Lightening. Granted, it can be had 10 seconds into a new game and has potentially infinite charges (wands have a % chance to disappear on use in this game, but no charges per se), but that and the one spell scroll are it. Lightening must be a precious commodity in this world or something.

GlowingFauxPas
Jul 24, 2002

TraditiOWNED

CaptainPsyko posted:

You get tons and tons and tons of gold, particularly in MotB.

That said, Wands aren't really worth it for the most part, and Crafting is kind of a waste of a feat for the PC. It's a good choice for Sand, Elanee, and Zhjave in the OC, and Safiya has all the crafting feats you'll need in MotB.

Well the reason I was considering it was because this is a cleric splash on a warlock build, and with UMD you can make a wand of any spell you can get a scroll of 4th level or below, right?

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
It's not going to be great, but it isn't completely terrible, either. Death Ward and Mirror Image are both good to have ready access to, if you can't get death immunity from gear. Shield wands are short-lived, but if you don't have a mithril shield (why wouldn't you, though?) they can be a lifesaver. Displacement is a decent "oh poo poo" if you get mobbed in melee. Offensive wands won't be any use. If you're getting the feat for free, it ain't terrible, but I'd never take it myself in the campaigns.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

I just got NWN1 working on my Macbook Pro using a Wineskin wrapper and the GOG installer. After starting up a game as a quarterstaff monk and playing through the intro Academy bit of the main module, I'm noticing that I'm getting a LOT of drops: a +2 monk's robe right off the bat (which I may have gen'd with), a +2 cloak of protection against chaotic damage off of the corpse of a weak goblin, a ring of endurance, and some special named boots off of some other NPC. I feel like either I'm stupidly lucky, or the game is giving me way more loot than it actually should. Could it be that the game is scripted to do that when you pick a class as terrifically underpowered as the monk, or did I unintentionally gently caress with a setting somewhere? Or am I just lucky?

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Drone posted:

I just got NWN1 working on my Macbook Pro using a Wineskin wrapper and the GOG installer. After starting up a game as a quarterstaff monk and playing through the intro Academy bit of the main module, I'm noticing that I'm getting a LOT of drops: a +2 monk's robe right off the bat (which I may have gen'd with), a +2 cloak of protection against chaotic damage off of the corpse of a weak goblin, a ring of endurance, and some special named boots off of some other NPC. I feel like either I'm stupidly lucky, or the game is giving me way more loot than it actually should. Could it be that the game is scripted to do that when you pick a class as terrifically underpowered as the monk, or did I unintentionally gently caress with a setting somewhere? Or am I just lucky?

It's mostly random, IIRC there's a fair bit of monk-only random drops and the "+2 vs. alignment" cloaks are fairly common as well.

Also if my memory doesn't fail me, don't monks basically need to go unarmed?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Kanfy posted:

Also if my memory doesn't fail me, don't monks basically need to go unarmed?

Reading through their feats just now and yeah, it would seem so. Unless weapon focus: quarterstaff turns all of your monk feats that require unarmed/kama into feats that require quarterstaff (I believe Pathfinder does this, but I don't know if it was that way in 3.0/3.5).

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Not sure about NWN1, but quarterstaff definitely works with flurry in NWN 2.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine

Just tried it on my level 3 monk with Weapon Specialization: Quarterstaff and nope. When I try flurry, I get the message that it won't work with the equipped weapon type.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Drone posted:

Just tried it on my level 3 monk with Weapon Specialization: Quarterstaff and nope. When I try flurry, I get the message that it won't work with the equipped weapon type.

It only works with fists and kamas in NWN1.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

Even if flurry did work with quarterstaves in NWN1, a monk's unarmed damage outscales them in just a few levels, so there's not much point.

In P&P, I think quarterstaves are supposed to have the option of welding them as double-weapons, so you should have been able to get an absurd amount of strikes per turn with them like you can with a dual kama build, but neither NWN1 or 2 got that option working.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
So, is it recommended for a totally new player to go read all these resources and such, or can I have fun in the default NWN2 campaign just making a character I like and playing?

I know in like Baldur's Gate you were proper hosed if you didn't have a decent cleric and rogue for healing and trap detection, for example.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Annath posted:

So, is it recommended for a totally new player to go read all these resources and such, or can I have fun in the default NWN2 campaign just making a character I like and playing?

I know in like Baldur's Gate you were proper hosed if you didn't have a decent cleric and rogue for healing and trap detection, for example.

If you already have a rudimentary understanding of D&D 3.5, you can just jump in.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Annath posted:

Having a rogue in your party to deal with locks & traps and a divine spellcaster for healing can be a good idea. But followers can fill those roles in your party. You can make your own character anything you like.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Are mods useable in multiplayer?

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
If you mean on a persistent world, generally no. The server's own custom haks will take precedence. Some overrides will work, but if you're playing on a server you should check their rules, since some will just ban you for using them.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

SodomyGoat101 posted:

If you mean on a persistent world, generally no. The server's own custom haks will take precedence. Some overrides will work, but if you're playing on a server you should check their rules, since some will just ban you for using them.

Oh no, I mean on a privately hosted mp game.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
I'm not 100% sure, but I think any mods will need to be incorporated into the module in question's haks. Someone else might be able to better answer your question, sorry!

N0data
Dec 6, 2006

"Vi Veri Veniversum Vivus Vici."- Faust (By the power of truth, I, while living, have conquered the universe.)

goodness posted:

Oh no, I mean on a privately hosted mp game.

In a privately hosted game, you can run any mods you have, and as long as every other player has the exact same ones installed, you should have no problems. Except for the module file itself, only the host needs that. This is for NWN1. I'm not 100% sure about NWN2, but I believe it works the same way.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

Are there any NWN2 modules made specifically for evil characters that are any good?

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
Has anyone ever tried an ironman(no reloading for any reason, death = restart from beginning) playthrough of the Neverwinter Nights games?

I did an ironman run of Baldur's gate recently and was thinking about trying it in NWN but I'm not sure how feasible it is. I've just made it through Chapter 1 in a normal playthrough and have already ran into something I'm not sure how I'd beat without savescumming. The 3-4 Bodaks at the end of Chapter 1 who do nothing but spam Death Gaze at a time where I don't think it's possible to have deathward potions, items, or scrolls.

bottles and cans
Oct 21, 2010

Spek posted:

The 3-4 Bodaks at the end of Chapter 1 who do nothing but spam Death Gaze at a time where I don't think it's possible to have deathward potions, items, or scrolls.

Bodaks are going to death-gaze at about a DC 15 that randomly switches between Fortitude and Will. If you can stack those stats, and then make sure you've got a summon or a companion to tank the shots somehow, you'd probably be fine.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Annakie's site is down :(

Anyone have a copy of the Visuals Overhaul they can upload?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Uh, yeah seems like I somehow managed to exceed my bandwidth. Working on getting it back up. Thanks for letting me know. :)

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah a 131 meg .rar I had hosted suddenly exploded in popularity overnight and sucked up over 250 gigs of downloads. My provider increased my bandwidth and I removed the newly-popular file and all should be good to go now. :)

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Thanks for getting it back up!

Can anyone recommend a cool caster to play (I have KRC and MoB/SoZ)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

goodness posted:

Thanks for getting it back up!

Can anyone recommend a cool caster to play (I have KRC and MoB/SoZ)

If you have Kaedrin's, I'm super fond of Eldritch Disciple builds; full cleric casting and most of a warlock for all your blasting needs.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I finally beat MotB, which was really good. I tried going through it last year but I think I got interrupted by real life halfway through the game. Is Storm of Zehir good/worth playing? It doesn't seem to have the reputation that MotB has, but I've finally kind of gotten used to NWN2's super clunky everything. If it's not terribly good then I'll probably finally get around to playing Icewind Dale.

Spek
Jun 15, 2012

Bagel!
I like Storm of Zehir. It's much more free form then the NWN2 or MotB. It plays a lot like Baldur's Gate in that you create your character and then after a short introduction you can kind of just wander around doing whatever you feel like rather than having to follow the main plot. I'm not sure why no one ever really talks about it it's probably my favorite of the three official NWN2 campaigns.

One of my favorite aspects of it is you can play through it entirely solo if you so choose. And it makes much better use of almost all the skills you can get, especially in the beginning of the game. It also does this cool thing where it gives you history feats when you do good in the game that give small bonuses. Like in an early fight that has some allied NPCs if you win without any of the NPCs dying you get a bonus feat that grants a tiny bonus to a skill. Not enough to matter in any way but it's a nice pat on the back. That sort of thing pops up throughout the game.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

Will there ever be a NWN3?

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

goodness posted:

Unlikely! But hey, if you decide you hate NWN and want to see it destroyed, you can always play Neverwinter.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

goodness posted:

Well, there's Project Eternity.

Mecheon
Nov 27, 2007

And that was when Ecco realised the world just fucking hates dolphins.
And the Vault's well and truly dead

They're working on uploading stuff to the new Vault but uh, yeah, there's about 40,000 files to upload

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Mecheon posted:

They're working on uploading stuff to the new Vault but uh, yeah, there's about 40,000 files to upload

And about 35,000 of those are nude and/or sex mods.

HALL OF FAME.

Lunchmeat Larry
Nov 3, 2012

Mecheon posted:

well this has made me weirdly sad. I've been visiting that site for like twelve fuckin years

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
It looks like the Vault hasn't gone away (yet), just the DNS entry.
You can still access it by going to %SystemRoot%\system32\drivers\etc\
Make a backup of the "hosts" file and then add this entry:
69.10.25.55 nwvault.ign.com

If for some reason this doesn't work you and you want a file of the vault, just ask for it and I'll see if I can reupload it.

Has there been any word from IGN about this? Because the same thing happened about a year ago and IGN did fix whatever the problem was then when they were made aware of it. Also when asked if the vault was going down, IGN replied they had no intention of doing so anytime soon, but that the vault and other services they no longer supported would be kept alive as archives.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Jun 27, 2014

• Locked thread