Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
I really liked how both of them played. Just make sure you're playing the Enhanced Edition. First one is still an awesome game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

I really didn't like The Witcher and I'm almost always wrong about video games so yea go for it.

I didn't like the first one (the story) nor the second one (the combat), so you're not alone, but everyone else seems to like them.

I even read the The Last Wish to figure out if there was just something wrong with me, but I ended up really enjoying that so I dunno.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Basically, what I'm saying here is that MotB redeems any failures of the NWN2 OC, and, by extension, elevates NWN2 to be among the greatest RPG's ever made for the PC. You're free to disagree with me and all, but this whole 'acting like I'm from another planet where taste doesn't exist' thing is kind of rude and not particularly interesting.

I think it's more the implication that the modding/online scene is entirely irrelevant in your post, man, not that people are just making GBS threads on you for the sake of doing it. I like MotB too, but if the game hadn't had the toolset and server support, I'd never have touched it. I'm probably not alone, either. NWN would never have been what it was without all that, people naturally expected the same from a sequel.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SodomyGoat101 posted:

I think it's more the implication that the modding/online scene is entirely irrelevant in your post, man, not that people are just making GBS threads on you for the sake of doing it. I like MotB too, but if the game hadn't had the toolset and server support, I'd never have touched it. I'm probably not alone, either. NWN would never have been what it was without all that, people naturally expected the same from a sequel.

Right. I don't disagree with this at all! I disagree with the implication that the reverse is somehow patently untrue, which is what I'm arguing against.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
I personally enjoy the (admittedly overly-complex) storyline in the NWN2 OC. It has some major flaws, like the fact that at least half of the errand quests when you get to Neverwinter should have been cut, and Old Owl Well being a slog, and of course the rocks fall, everyone dies ending. But I thought the story held together well once you sorted out who the three or four different factions coming at you were.

I also love most of the companions and many of the NPCs, which is probably the main reason I keep replaying the game. For a game from 2006, they were written and voiced well, and there's a lot of funny and a few heartwarming moments with them.

Plus, I really do just enjoy D&D3.0/3.5 based games and there just aren't that many of them out there.

Delerion
Sep 8, 2008

unf unf unf
I didn't really think much of any of the official campaigns for nwn but what made the game for me was all the custom content modules, i think some of them are the best single player(and coop) rpg experiences i've had beating any of these 'triple-a' games on the market.

I also like D&D, nwn combat and the myriad of classes to choose from and multiclassing, i often play with prc pack which adds up to 100+ classes to the game.

Never could get into nwn2 though, it just feels much more clunky. I have more hours in NWN 1 than most MMOs i have played.

Delerion fucked around with this message at 12:15 on Jun 29, 2014

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010

Annakie posted:

I personally enjoy the (admittedly overly-complex) storyline in the NWN2 OC. It has some major flaws, like the fact that at least half of the errand quests when you get to Neverwinter should have been cut, and Old Owl Well being a slog, and of course the rocks fall, everyone dies ending. But I thought the story held together well once you sorted out who the three or four different factions coming at you were.

I also love most of the companions and many of the NPCs, which is probably the main reason I keep replaying the game. For a game from 2006, they were written and voiced well, and there's a lot of funny and a few heartwarming moments with them.

Plus, I really do just enjoy D&D3.0/3.5 based games and there just aren't that many of them out there.

I viewed Neverwinter Nights 2 as 60% great brilliant game, 40% utter poo poo.

I agree that the characters were genuinely good to. I think that a lot of the criticism the characters get is because people weren't paying attention. Khelgar, in particular, is not at all a stereotpyical fantasy dwarf, but has a patina of being just that. He's interesting because of the dichotomy between the patina and what he really is.

Other characters had problems that I think were caused by Obsidian trying to check a box. Elanee, for instance, was a perfectly fine character who was less sterotypical than she initially appeared-until the completely botched attempt to make her a love interest.

And Sand is one of my favorite RPG characters, ever.

Grobnar was absolutely awful and unfunny though.

folgore
Jun 30, 2006

nice tut
I'm a bit astounded at people saying they liked any of the OC party members besides Sand, but I also haven't played it in 7 years so I will reserve judgement.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

Delerion posted:

I didn't really think much of any of the official campaigns for nwn but what made the game for me was all the custom content modules, i think some of them are the best single player(and coop) rpg experiences i've had beating any of these 'triple-a' games on the market.

I also like D&D, nwn combat and the myriad of classes to choose from and multiclassing, i often play with prc pack which adds up to 100+ classes to the game.

Never could get into nwn2 though, it just feels much more clunky. I have more hours in NWN 1 than most MMOs i have played.

I have fond memories of getting into the Kingmaker premium module in the first NWN, I'm curious if it holds up to scrutiny now that I'm older and less tolerant of bullshit. I thought it was neat that your companions were all effectively monsters given classes and I always like sentient weapons that aren't annoying.

Tumblr of scotch
Mar 13, 2006

Please, don't be my neighbor.
I gave up checking for any further patches or updates for Baldur's Gate Reloaded about a month ago since it had been over half a year. Today I got the whim to check, and they updated a week after I stopped. :v:

Patch notes don't mention anything about some containers in Durlag's Tower (including some with quest items) being unreachable, though, nor anything about Khalid's :gowron: eyes upon first meeting him.

Drunk in Space
Dec 1, 2009

folgore posted:

I'm a bit astounded at people saying they liked any of the OC party members besides Sand, but I also haven't played it in 7 years so I will reserve judgement.

Honestly, I found nearly all of them to be intensely unlikable, even Sand to a certain extent (although he was definitely the best of a bad bunch). The constant bickering and snarkiness everytime I went back to the tavern became tedious really loving quickly. I don't know what Obsidian were thinking with all that poo poo - perhaps they felt it made them seem like colourful characters or whatever, but really they were just unbearable little brats, especially Neeshka and that Sorcerer girl. In fact, I've yet to get past I think act 2 in the OC because I just could not stand the character interactions anymore (admittedly general disatisfaction and boredom with the campaign was also to blame).

Drunk in Space fucked around with this message at 10:55 on Jun 30, 2014

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.
At least NWN 2's OC for the most part gets better over time rather than the other way around.

Also having disabled bloom for the first time, I never realized it's not supposed to be bright as hell during Harvest Fair.

prometheusbound2
Jul 5, 2010
I wonder how commercially the Neverwinter Nights games were, particularly given the transformation of the series into an MMO.

NWN1's campaign was garbage, NWN2OC was seriously flawed(and I say that as someone who still liked it) but man I don't think I've gotten more bang for my buck than with any other game, ever.

I'm hoping Divinity: Original Sin will fill the void created by its community's death.

Conduit for Sale!
Apr 17, 2007

People know that the entire point of the NWN games WAS the toolset & modding capability right? I mean, that's no excuse for a lousy OC but a lousy OC is no reason to write the games off either. I don't think anyone's doing that here but still.

I haven't played the NWN OC since it came out but I remember liking it. I kind of like plain, generic stories. The Tales series of JRPGs is my favorite video game series and they have the most generic stories possible heh. Although they're really good at making likeable, interesting characters. Better than almost any other RPG developer imo.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Conduit for Sale! posted:

People know that the entire point of the NWN games WAS the toolset & modding capability right? I mean, that's no excuse for a lousy OC but a lousy OC is no reason to write the games off either. I don't think anyone's doing that here but still.

I haven't played the NWN OC since it came out but I remember liking it. I kind of like plain, generic stories. The Tales series of JRPGs is my favorite video game series and they have the most generic stories possible heh. Although they're really good at making likeable, interesting characters. Better than almost any other RPG developer imo.

It was definitely the point of NWN1, but NWN2 was definitely much more ambitious as a single-player game as well.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
NWN1 OC was bland because it was meant to be played online; a lot of the design makes a lot more sense if you view it as a down-scaled MMO. Unfortunately for Bioware, most people played the campaign offline and judged it from that perspective. The expansions were designed for single-player and received much more favorably as a result.

NWN2 builds on that trend and focuses even more heavily on single-player gameplay, but crippled online play in exchange. I never played NWN2 online and my memory is hazy on the details, but things like having to download terrain maps just to hop on a server and conversations pausing the entire server were significant issues as I recall.

Setting aside the single- vs. multi-player differences, the biggest problem I have with playing NWN2 is the UI changes. NWN1 had its flaws but its UI was extremely consistent and functional, whereas the NWN2 tries to be fancy and started breaking conventions as a result. Worst of all is that they broke how the camera controls work relative to NWN1, which is drat near a dealbreaker when I spent several thousand odd hours playing NWN1 online.

I can see what Obsidian wanted to do with NWN2, but to my mind the execution is too flawed for me to say they achieved it. Every so often I feel like I should finish NWN2 (it's often recommended, after all), but I find myself fighting the interface too much to enjoy it.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

isndl posted:

I never played NWN2 online and my memory is hazy on the details, but things like having to download terrain maps just to hop on a server and conversations pausing the entire server were significant issues as I recall.
I never encountered this playing persistent worlds; it must have been fixed very early on.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Jackard posted:

I never encountered this playing persistent worlds; it must have been fixed very early on.

NWN2 PWs were an absolute poo poo show in the early days.

Not even really functional, to be honest, but people tried out of stubborness.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.
Speaking of NWN1.

Some friends and I plan on playing through the first game (And probably second) cooperatively. I understand that the campaigns were somewhat made for this sort of thing, so anything I have to worry about?

I seem to recall that the HotU wasn't, but there were a few work arounds, which is what I'm primarily concerned about.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

Gamerofthegame posted:

Speaking of NWN1.

Some friends and I plan on playing through the first game (And probably second) cooperatively. I understand that the campaigns were somewhat made for this sort of thing, so anything I have to worry about?

I seem to recall that the HotU wasn't, but there were a few work arounds, which is what I'm primarily concerned about.

Eh, nothing more than you might have to worry about with HOTU. With HOTU I think my brother and I had to use some console commands to teleport one of us when things got funky, one or more times. I vaguely remember console command bullshittery being necessary one way or the other.

There are some pretty drat good campaigns out there in terms of user made stuff, for the record, for cooperative purposes. The Aielund Saga in particular I'd heavily recommend for two player. Probably wouldn't go higher than two for Aielund though.

Head Hit Keyboard
Oct 9, 2012

It must be fate that has brought us together after all these years.
On the same note, are the NWN2 OCs co-op friendly? I've been wanting/trying to play it for a while now but several factors, most notably the fact that I am somewhat intimidated by D&D mechanics, have prevented me from playing past the swamp dungeon. I'm thinking having someone else playing would alleviate most of that.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Yeah, NW vault is now well and truly dead. The URL is pointing towards a terrible, half-baked wiki.

NW Nexus doesn't seem to have a lot of mods up there yet, most of what's there are creatures and such. At some point after a month from now I'll try to salvage what I can of the OP. The links to the packs I put together and am will keep working, at least. :v:

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Annakie posted:

Yeah, NW vault is now well and truly dead. The URL is pointing towards a terrible, half-baked wiki.
NW Nexus doesn't seem to have a lot of mods up there yet, most of what's there are creatures and such. At some point after a month from now I'll try to salvage what I can of the OP. The links to the packs I put together and am will keep working, at least.
You may want to keep an eye on http://neverwintervault.org/. They have a backup of all the files that were on the NWVault and are working on getting them all uploaded. The site is still a work in progress though.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Oh awesome, then hopefully I'll just have about 100 links to repoint in the OP. That's way less work. Thanks!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

https://archive.org/web/ works for some of those links, I have been able to get a bunch of the mods that way.

Speaking of mods, I got TonyK's ai but companions still run all over the map agroing enemies who aren't even attacking me, any way to disable that behavior without having to use puppet mode or constant shout commands? Setting guard distance to near doesn't seem to make a difference.

Avalerion fucked around with this message at 06:50 on Jul 24, 2014

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
A quick question I wanted to ask before this thread falls into the archives: If you're playing NWN2 for the first time, what's would be a good class/character to use?

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

If you are referring to the original NWN2 campaign I would guess Cleric.

I've heard you shouldn't go for Rogue in the OC because enemies that are immune to sneak attack can be common.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

Don't go rogue for either campaign. The OC has a ton of undead which are crit/sneak attack immune, and MotB is full of spirits and fae and stuff which are also.

Kanfy
Jan 9, 2012

Just gotta keep walking down that road.

Max Wilco posted:

A quick question I wanted to ask before this thread falls into the archives: If you're playing NWN2 for the first time, what's would be a good class/character to use?

Clerics are very powerful and it takes quite a while before you get a cleric to join you in the OC. And she's not particularly interesting either.

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

Also if you find the Cleric's spell memorization to be tedious/obnoxious you can always go Favored Soul.

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

Max Wilco posted:

Hey this thread's been getting like 3 posts a month for *years* and has never fallen into the archives. :v:

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010
I find making characters that can function as the core of the party is the best way to choose what companions you get. Fighters/Clerics end up being poorly written/unlikeable? Who cares, you rolled Fighter/Cleric yourself and can fill that role just fine.

For Neverwinter, you've got an alright/likeable enough Dwarf Fighter for most of the game, a giant customizable golem, and a pretty decent if boring Paladin for frontline. However you've only got a creepy stalker elf for a healer/clerical role until near endgame. As such I'd say go Cleric/Druid depending on whether you want to be more offensive or defensive.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Avalerion posted:

Speaking of mods, I got TonyK's ai but companions still run all over the map agroing enemies who aren't even attacking me, any way to disable that behavior without having to use puppet mode or constant shout commands? Setting guard distance to near doesn't seem to make a difference.
Bring up the Quick Chat menu with "V" and drag the following commands to your quickbar:
Attack & Hold under Combat
Follow under Exploration
There are more commands here that issue orders to the AI, but these three are the important ones. Make sure "Peaceful Follow" is enabled in TonyK's AI behaviour.

Attack will have your party attack normally.
Hold tell everyone to stand still.
Follow with the "Peaceful Follow" option enabled will have your party follow your controlled character withour rushing off to attack enemies.
If you gave a Follow or Hold command and you switch characters, you'll need to re-issue the order.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Max Wilco posted:

Bard. You have more than enough skill points to get anything you could ever want, a diverse and useful spell list, the best debuff in the game, some powerful special abilities, and team auras that contribute significantly to your party's effective. They're seriously one of the best classes in the game, and they also require significantly less buffing than Clerics/Wizard do to be effective.

My personal recommendation: pick either Human or Dwarf. Dwarf gets a bunch of really solid racial bonuses, but fewer skill points and one less feat. Focus on Strength (16), Dexterity (14, which, with a +4 item or Cat's Grace, will max your AC with a chain shirt), and Constitution (14-16, depending on your race), with enough Intelligence for the skills you're going for. You can set Charisma as low as 12 and still get a +4 item to let you cast all of your spells, and raising it higher than that is mostly a matter of if you want bonus spell casts or not. Pump Strength every level. Feat-wise, you want Curse Song and Lingering Song as quickly as possible, with Extend Spell coming later. The rest is up to taste, but I like Power Attack/Improved Power Attack (because your debuffs will annihilate enemy AC and thus make PA/IPA a net gain in damage).

Focus your spell picks on defensive stuff like Heroism, Displacement, and the Mass Cure X spell line. A longsword can be both one and two-handed, so you can carry a shield to pull out if you start getting focused without having to also switch weapons. If you choose Dwarf, you can also pick up a dwarven waraxe for an extra damage boost instead.

Combat-wise, use Displacement on yourself or other melee allies to avoid a huge amount of damage. Mirror Image is incredibly useful, as it will soak up hits that somehow get past your massive AC. Don't worry about spells with saves on them, as your DCs will simply be too low to affect most things. Use Curse Song on large groups and bosses, as it's an incredibly potent debuff with enough ranks in Perform. You should mainly be focused on just pumping single-target damage out and keeping things debuffed with Curse Song and Taunt. Keep your Inspiration either on the +AC song or the +AB song, depending on what your team needs the most at the time. They're a seriously versatile class and are only really outperformed by Clerics once they start getting level 7+ spells.

Vermain fucked around with this message at 03:02 on Aug 4, 2014

Mq
Jul 7, 2005
Lazy fat bastard
And while you can find NPC bard, he is loving insufferable.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Mq posted:

And while you can find NPC bard, he is loving insufferable.

He's also built like poo poo. Dexterity Bard is such a bizarre idea when you gain almost nothing from it beyond a higher Reflex save (which isn't a concern when you have some of the highest saves in the game with Superior Resistance and Greater Heroism).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Grobnar is a cool dude.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

CaptainPsyko posted:

Grobnar is a cool dude.

Yeah Grobnar is amazing. He's an A++ NPC that never left my party.

Max Wilco
Jan 23, 2012

I'm just trying to go through life without looking stupid.

It's not working out too well...
Out of curiosity, do characters in the game react to you differently depending on what race you choose?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

There's a few minor dialog variations here and there but nothing major.

• Locked thread