Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gaggins
Nov 20, 2007

Annakie posted:

That's actually not the same spider.

Oh goddamnit. Guess I'm going to have to play this again like Scorchy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
I've finally gotten around to playing NN2, mainly because I want to see what the big deal is with Mask of the Betrayer that I hear about every once in a while and I'm currently in act III. One thing that I've noticed is just how drat buggy this game is. Sometimes dialogue triggers will break and I'll be forced to load, other times the game will warp me back 20 feet (:psyduck:). Not all the bugs are bad though, I guess. When (end of act II spoilers) Shandra died, all the items in her inventory were duplicated when they were given to Ammon Jerro, so cool, free money for my castle. Also, not a bug issue but is there any reliable way to keep enemies from dog-piling my wizard main character at the beginning of every fight?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, not a bug issue but is there any reliable way to keep enemies from dog-piling my wizard main character at the beginning of every fight?

If you click on other members of your party, you can control them. The best way to handle most battles for squishies, I found, is to send them into battle first, hang back for a few seconds, then start opening up with spells. ST spells first to tink at them, followed up by AoE to finish them off.

Unfortunately, half the time the party interprets your commands as helpful suggestions and often will decide rather to, say, run into a wall right next to the door and stop there or run around in circles.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
I never ever used the warlock character in the campaign or made one as a PC, so I know nothing about them. I've tried one setting up here: http://nwn2db.com/build/?145147

- Does Sneak Attack work with Eldritch Blasts when you've got Arcane Throw?
- Does Improved Crit (Ranged Touch) work with Eldritch Blast?
- Can you just stack all those 24 hour invocation buffs or are they only one at a time?
- Is there any reason to use any blast type other than Vitriolic Blast, since it's suppose to ignore spell resistance?

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

I only know that no buffs stack, ever.

Gobblecoque posted:

Also, not a bug issue but is there any reliable way to keep enemies from dog-piling my wizard main character at the beginning of every fight?
Don't go crazy throwing around area spells. Throw out a summon and sit back for a while letting the enemies disperse around the room a little and buff up with a few protection spells. Stoneskin is pretty good for soaking damage. I think the monster AI normally goes straight at the first enemy to come near unless they take damage from someone else. So send in a meatshield first.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scorchy posted:

I never ever used the warlock character in the campaign or made one as a PC, so I know nothing about them. I've tried one setting up here: http://nwn2db.com/build/?145147

- Does Sneak Attack work with Eldritch Blasts when you've got Arcane Throw?
- Does Improved Crit (Ranged Touch) work with Eldritch Blast?
- Can you just stack all those 24 hour invocation buffs or are they only one at a time?
- Is there any reason to use any blast type other than Vitriolic Blast, since it's suppose to ignore spell resistance?

I saw that build and wondered if it was you. I can go over it in more detail, but in short:

1) eldritch blast doesn't work with daggerspell goodies. It's stupid and a shame, and as I understand it an engine limitation. That said, with Ks, sneak dice do work with Eldritch Blast.

2) Yes, and it's amazing. Probably the second best fear for a Blast damage warlock.

3) yup, you can use them all at once. It's awesome.

4) At low levels (read, the OC), the various debuff blasts are quite handy, and still situationally useful late **if** you stack charisma. Saves are a bigger issue for those than resistance. Once you hit 30D6, I believe unmodified blasts also ignore SR, which is handy for acid resistant foes. But for the most part, no, there's no reason not to spam Vitriolic all the time.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
For the life of me I can't get Neverwinter Nights 2 to load. I've got the Steam version, and when I start it up, all I get is a black screen. If I didn't have a second monitor, I'd probably have to hard reset my computer to get out of it, but even if I go to task manager, I can't kill it. I've tried drat near everything - I've reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 runtimes, reinstalled .NET, DirectX, the game, tried setting its' affinity to single-core with a shortcut as well as from the task manager, tried fixing the .ini file to point at the right physical drive for a disc, everything. I just wanted to play this miserable game and absolutely nothing is making a difference, except when I set it to windowed mode, it loads windowed mode, but still does the same thing. The only way I can get out is to restart my computer, which is a pain in my rear end.

Has anyone else run into this? What did you do to resolve it? I fix computers for a living and quite frankly it's getting absurd that I can't solve this.

EDIT: Hey system specs might help:
Core i5-3570, Geforce 660 Ti, 16gb of RAM, Windows 7 Pro x64. I previously had a system with Vista x64, a Core 2 Quad, and a Radeon 4850, and that could run the game just fine.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

As mentioned by others, the AI tends to go after the first thing they see. So instead of controlling your squishy wizard, take control of the meatshield in your party and send him in first.
This works most of the time, but sometimes fights start after a conversation and the game has the annoying habit of placing your main character at the front of your party during dialogue. Not much you can do against being immediatly targetted there.

Scorchy posted:

1. Does Sneak Attack work with Eldritch Blasts when you've got Arcane Throw?
2. Does Improved Crit (Ranged Touch) work with Eldritch Blast?
3. Can you just stack all those 24 hour invocation buffs or are they only one at a time?
4. Is there any reason to use any blast type other than Vitriolic Blast, since it's suppose to ignore spell resistance?

1. Not without a mod that adds sneak attacks to Eldritch Blasts.
2. Yep, Eldritch Blast is a ranged touch attack. Weapon Focus (ranged touch) will also work.
3. You can use any of them at the same time. But as mentioned, no buffs of the same type (except dodge AC) stack.
4. Against anyone with acid resistance you'll want to use something else. And not everything has spell resistance, so you can occasionally throw out another blast if only to avoid getting bored by watching the same greenish beam over and over again.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
I'll warn you that you'll probably bore yourself to death by playing a warlock. It's the most repetitive class in the game.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah I threw in a bunch of rogue levels so I could be the utility character and mix things up, just wasn't sure how well the rules would synergize. Thanks for the answers everyone.

The Muffinlord posted:

For the life of me I can't get Neverwinter Nights 2 to load. I've got the Steam version, and when I start it up, all I get is a black screen. If I didn't have a second monitor, I'd probably have to hard reset my computer to get out of it, but even if I go to task manager, I can't kill it. I've tried drat near everything - I've reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 runtimes, reinstalled .NET, DirectX, the game, tried setting its' affinity to single-core with a shortcut as well as from the task manager, tried fixing the .ini file to point at the right physical drive for a disc, everything. I just wanted to play this miserable game and absolutely nothing is making a difference, except when I set it to windowed mode, it loads windowed mode, but still does the same thing. The only way I can get out is to restart my computer, which is a pain in my rear end.

Has anyone else run into this? What did you do to resolve it? I fix computers for a living and quite frankly it's getting absurd that I can't solve this.

EDIT: Hey system specs might help:
Core i5-3570, Geforce 660 Ti, 16gb of RAM, Windows 7 Pro x64. I previously had a system with Vista x64, a Core 2 Quad, and a Radeon 4850, and that could run the game just fine.

Video card/driver or DRM issue? Check the Windows event log and see if there was anything funky in there.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Scorchy posted:

Video card/driver or DRM issue? Check the Windows event log and see if there was anything funky in there.

I have the latest drivers, and I've checked the event log thoroughly and found nothing. I've heard some people have had luck getting a copy of the actual game disks and installing from those, but I'd rather not :filez: it unless it's the only way.

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012
NWN2's DRM was removed with a patch. And besides, it wasn't anything fancy - just standard securom. And the Steam version just has steamworks.
So I doubt the issue is DRM.

With some googling I found this possible sollution:
Find NWN2.ini in your base NWN2 folder (\steam\\Neverwinter Nights 2\) and chance the following:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
Disable Intro Movies=1

[Graphics Options]
Bloom=0
EnableVsync=0
Shadows=0
EnvironmentShadows=0
CharacterDropShadows=0
SoftShadows=0
FarShadows=0
PointLightShadows=0
UseHardwareShadowMapsIfAvailable=1
NormalMappedTerrain=0
NumberOfTextureMipLevelsToSkip=0
UseHDRIfAvailable=0
MultiSampleType=0
WaterReflections=0
WaterRefraction=0
RenderGrass=0

If the game then does manage to start, you could try experimenting with those setting to see what does and doesn't work.

Edit: Also I don't know if the steam version installed this, but something else you can try is grabbing DirectX 9.0c and install that.

Raygereio fucked around with this message at 09:50 on May 19, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Smol posted:

I'll warn you that you'll probably bore yourself to death by playing a warlock. It's the most repetitive class in the game.

I totally don't find this to be true compared to any straight melee build. The only advantage those have is that you can let AI control them and run a caster companion all the time. But you can do that as a Warlock too by pausing at the start of combat and queuing a ton of blasts if you don't want to micromanage other invocations. (Which, by doing, you can accomplish a ton.)

Warlocks are awesome, especially at mid-high levels where you'll spend most of your OC/MOTB play time.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Raygereio posted:

NWN2's DRM was removed with a patch. And besides, it wasn't anything fancy - just standard securom. And the Steam version just has steamworks.
So I doubt the issue is DRM.

With some googling I found this possible sollution:
Find NWN2.ini in your base NWN2 folder (\steam\\Neverwinter Nights 2\) and chance the following:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
Disable Intro Movies=1

[Graphics Options]
Bloom=0
EnableVsync=0
Shadows=0
EnvironmentShadows=0
CharacterDropShadows=0
SoftShadows=0
FarShadows=0
PointLightShadows=0
UseHardwareShadowMapsIfAvailable=1
NormalMappedTerrain=0
NumberOfTextureMipLevelsToSkip=0
UseHDRIfAvailable=0
MultiSampleType=0
WaterReflections=0
WaterRefraction=0
RenderGrass=0

If the game then does manage to start, you could try experimenting with those setting to see what does and doesn't work.

Edit: Also I don't know if the steam version installed this, but something else you can try is grabbing DirectX 9.0c and install that.

This didn't work either. I can't believe I'm being beaten by this game.

Aratoeldar
Mar 21, 2005
A shot in the dark. Does anyone have the first HTML page saved for BenWH's Wyvern Crown of Cormyr quests walkthrough? When I use the web archive site page 1 is forbidden but pages 2 & 3 are ok.

WCoC spoilers

Dropbear
Jul 26, 2007
Bombs away!
So, is my game bugged somehow or is the AI in NWN2 really this gamebreakingly bad? I installed the AI mod recommended in the OP + Kaedrin's pack, but even with setting automatic weapon switching off, my companions are absolutely retarded. The druid won't use attack spells he has memorized and instead charges to melee - I tried forbidding melee from her altogether, which makes her run into melee range, decide not to, run away, and repeat. Still won't cast the attack spells. Summons tend to sit with their thumbs up their asses instead of helping in combat, and even in strategy mode my characters ignore my commands after a second or two, decide that skeleton sitting behind 25 floor traps seems way too tempting and run through said traps, killing themselves. This is practically unplayable - have the mods messed something up, or..?

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
You can try removing TonyK's AI and see if it works better for you. Also try the turning the AI on/off stand your ground/follow me trick from the OP. Some of what you're describing sounds like normal crappy AI behavior but some sounds like it might be worse than normal.

Wrestlepig
Feb 25, 2011

my mum says im cool

Toilet Rascal

CaptainPsyko posted:

I totally don't find this to be true compared to any straight melee build. The only advantage those have is that you can let AI control them and run a caster companion all the time. But you can do that as a Warlock too by pausing at the start of combat and queuing a ton of blasts if you don't want to micromanage other invocations. (Which, by doing, you can accomplish a ton.)

Warlocks are awesome, especially at mid-high levels where you'll spend most of your OC/MOTB play time.

It was kind of a pain to not have any viable multiclasses aside from the Hellfire Warlock. There were some mods that let you get the arcane PRCs though.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So I've beaten the OC and am currently on Act II of MotB. I can definitely say I'm enjoying this much more and this feels much more like an Obsidian kind of game whereas the OC felt like your run of the mill Bioware game.

Smol
Jun 1, 2011

Stat rosa pristina nomine, nomina nuda tenemus.
Just wait until you meet Myrkul. That conversation is probably the greatest video game moment I've ever experienced.

Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011
So this Vault of the Death God, is it safe to just come back to this place later? Because I got to the second level of it and there's all sorts of bad stuff like ancient vampires and lich kings that push my poo poo in. Also, apparently quicksaves randomly become corrupted I guess, because now I crash when I try to load my latest one. It's not a huge deal since my previous autosave was just 20 minutes earlier, but still.

Edit: I just loaded a save and one of my party members was randomly covered in bees. :psyduck:

Gobblecoque fucked around with this message at 11:23 on May 23, 2013

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

Gobblecoque posted:

So this Vault of the Death God, is it safe to just come back to this place later?
Yep. Eventually you'll have to come back there, but that's near the endgame.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.
I still have both of these games and go back to them semi regularly.

I've been wanting to play the original nwn2 campaign with others. Roleplaying or otherwise, since I can't seem to make a good build in anything. (I got with what looks cool rather than what makes any goddamn sense)

Does anyone still do that?

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Yeah. The NWN2 OC is really best with other people, because it's really so goddamned asinine in so many ways. Just have someone determine who the beat up abused foster child every NPC is a giant rear end in a top hat to main character is, and follow their lead.

Mendrian
Jan 6, 2013

I got a pretty simple NwN2 question:

If a friend of mine starts the official campaign in multiplayer, but plays largely by himself, can I join him much later, or am I locked out because I wasn't there at the start? Is there any trick to handling that kind of thing?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

The glow is a guide, my friend. Though it falls to you to avert catastrophe, you will never fight alone.

Mendrian posted:

I got a pretty simple NwN2 question:

If a friend of mine starts the official campaign in multiplayer, but plays largely by himself, can I join him much later, or am I locked out because I wasn't there at the start? Is there any trick to handling that kind of thing?

Yes, you can. How it works is the server plays like normal, and you can save your game while in it. When you want to resume, just have the server load the game and it'll return to that point, you can join in at any time. (You may have to cheat in some levels if you want to stay at the same pace as the main character)

If we can get a goon game of that going, I'd be thrilled.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

How do mods work in MP OC campaign? Does everyone have to have the same set?

Wahad
May 19, 2011

There is no escape.

Drakenel posted:

Yes, you can. How it works is the server plays like normal, and you can save your game while in it. When you want to resume, just have the server load the game and it'll return to that point, you can join in at any time. (You may have to cheat in some levels if you want to stay at the same pace as the main character)

If we can get a goon game of that going, I'd be thrilled.

I'd be up for this, too.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Wahad posted:

I'd be up for this, too.

Cool, if anyone else wants to join in, just PM either of us with skype details and we'll see about getting it set up.

edit: Scorchy, It probably wouldn't hurt, although it's probaby not too necessary unless you added a ton of content.

Double edit: Unless, of course, the host who makes the server has all the mods, then wouldn't the auto-downloader give it to everyone that joins?

Drakenel fucked around with this message at 19:37 on May 23, 2013

Zarfol
Aug 13, 2009

Drakenel posted:

Cool, if anyone else wants to join in, just PM either of us with skype details and we'll see about getting it set up.

edit: Scorchy, It probably wouldn't hurt, although it's probaby not too necessary unless you added a ton of content.

Double edit: Unless, of course, the host who makes the server has all the mods, then wouldn't the auto-downloader give it to everyone that joins?

I'd totally be in for some gooning through the OC and even MOTB/SOZ, maybe I'll join in halfway through since I won't be able to hop on until mid next week.

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

Zarfol posted:

I'd totally be in for some gooning through the OC and even MOTB/SOZ, maybe I'll join in halfway through since I won't be able to hop on until mid next week.

To be fair, I'm not going to be around for this weekend either so probably grab everyone interested like Tuesday or Wednesday perhaps.

magicalmako
Feb 13, 2005
I think my game bugged out a little. I'm in Act 3 in the OC and heading to Highcliffe. After killing all the lizard men in the encounter with Gera and Zachan, they just stand there and I'm not able to talk to them nor leave the area. One of the named miners in Cross Road Keep disappeared too along with the weapon merchant in the courtyard. (Jacoby I think?) Any idea's how to fix this? Googling around hasn't turned up anything :(

edit: Making the skill checks seems to have fixed the Gera and Zachan sequence.

magicalmako fucked around with this message at 10:28 on May 24, 2013

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"
I'm playing the NWN1 expansion campaign Shadows of Undrentide right now, and I'm frustrated to no end by the AI of my rogue companion, who used to automatically clear traps and unlock chests/doors for me when I tried opening them, but now just stands there and does nothing. I've tried turning off and on the thief skills in the conversation tree and changing her orders from the radial menu, but she still won't do anything. Is there any fix for this? Thanks in advance...

EDIT: Using the GOG NWN Diamond edition with no mods.

isndl
May 2, 2012
I WON A CONTEST IN TG AND ALL I GOT WAS THIS CUSTOM TITLE
Companions in NWN1 won't even attempt to work a trap or lock if the DC is too high, but that shouldn't be the problem considering how campaign DCs are fairly low in general. There are some traps that can't be disarmed by skill checks and you have to bash something instead, but I don't recall any of those in SoU.

Some quick googling turns up buggy behavior if you leave her on mixed Cleric/Rogue leveling, so try setting her to Rogue-only to see if that helps.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Once you hit 30D6, I believe unmodified blasts also ignore SR, which is handy for acid resistant foes. But for the most part, no, there's no reason not to spam Vitriolic all the time.

10d6 bypasses SR, since the engine treats the amount of blast dice as spell level, and 10th level spells make it poo poo itself. It's also the best way to peel off Mantles for a warlock, since otherwise blasts are treated as, at most, 4th level I think.

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

Drakenel posted:

Assuming I don't have the PM feature nor :10bux: for it, how would I go about getting info to you? Just post it here?

Drakenel
Dec 2, 2008

TerminusEst13 posted:

Assuming I don't have the PM feature nor :10bux: for it, how would I go about getting info to you? Just post it here?

Before I disappear for the weekend, anyone without these means can add me on Skype (same as here, Drakenel) and preferably with an accompanying note that it's for this.

MaterialConceptual
Jan 18, 2011

"It is rather that precisely in that which is newest the face of the world never alters, that this newest remains, in every aspect, the same. - This constitutes the eternity of hell."

-Walter Benjamin, "The Arcades Project"

isndl posted:

Companions in NWN1 won't even attempt to work a trap or lock if the DC is too high, but that shouldn't be the problem considering how campaign DCs are fairly low in general. There are some traps that can't be disarmed by skill checks and you have to bash something instead, but I don't recall any of those in SoU.

Some quick googling turns up buggy behavior if you leave her on mixed Cleric/Rogue leveling, so try setting her to Rogue-only to see if that helps.

Thanks that's probably the issue!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, I'm running NWN2 under OS X, using the Mac App Store version of the game. I have the expansions installed as well, having installed them (GOG Version) under windows and moved the relevant files. I decided to see about trying to log in to a PW today and got an error saying my CD Key was invalid.

Anyone have any experience with this to know where I should even look to fix it? I'm willing to try out most solutions that don't involve reinstalling the game, because that was enough of a pain in the rear end that I'm not looking forward to doing it again any time soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

So, I'm running NWN2 under OS X, using the Mac App Store version of the game. I have the expansions installed as well, having installed them (GOG Version) under windows and moved the relevant files. I decided to see about trying to log in to a PW today and got an error saying my CD Key was invalid.

Anyone have any experience with this to know where I should even look to fix it? I'm willing to try out most solutions that don't involve reinstalling the game, because that was enough of a pain in the rear end that I'm not looking forward to doing it again any time soon.
Check if there's a file called nwncdkey.ini in your base NWN2 instal folder that contains your keys. If there isn't, make one. It should look like this:

[CDKEY]
Key1=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Key2=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
key3=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

1 is your OC key, 2 is MotB, 3 is SoZ.

• Locked thread