Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
For the life of me I can't get Neverwinter Nights 2 to load. I've got the Steam version, and when I start it up, all I get is a black screen. If I didn't have a second monitor, I'd probably have to hard reset my computer to get out of it, but even if I go to task manager, I can't kill it. I've tried drat near everything - I've reinstalled the Visual C++ 2005 and 2008 runtimes, reinstalled .NET, DirectX, the game, tried setting its' affinity to single-core with a shortcut as well as from the task manager, tried fixing the .ini file to point at the right physical drive for a disc, everything. I just wanted to play this miserable game and absolutely nothing is making a difference, except when I set it to windowed mode, it loads windowed mode, but still does the same thing. The only way I can get out is to restart my computer, which is a pain in my rear end.

Has anyone else run into this? What did you do to resolve it? I fix computers for a living and quite frankly it's getting absurd that I can't solve this.

EDIT: Hey system specs might help:
Core i5-3570, Geforce 660 Ti, 16gb of RAM, Windows 7 Pro x64. I previously had a system with Vista x64, a Core 2 Quad, and a Radeon 4850, and that could run the game just fine.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Scorchy posted:

Video card/driver or DRM issue? Check the Windows event log and see if there was anything funky in there.

I have the latest drivers, and I've checked the event log thoroughly and found nothing. I've heard some people have had luck getting a copy of the actual game disks and installing from those, but I'd rather not :filez: it unless it's the only way.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Raygereio posted:

NWN2's DRM was removed with a patch. And besides, it wasn't anything fancy - just standard securom. And the Steam version just has steamworks.
So I doubt the issue is DRM.

With some googling I found this possible sollution:
Find NWN2.ini in your base NWN2 folder (\steam\\Neverwinter Nights 2\) and chance the following:

[Display Options]
FullScreen=0
Disable Intro Movies=1

[Graphics Options]
Bloom=0
EnableVsync=0
Shadows=0
EnvironmentShadows=0
CharacterDropShadows=0
SoftShadows=0
FarShadows=0
PointLightShadows=0
UseHardwareShadowMapsIfAvailable=1
NormalMappedTerrain=0
NumberOfTextureMipLevelsToSkip=0
UseHDRIfAvailable=0
MultiSampleType=0
WaterReflections=0
WaterRefraction=0
RenderGrass=0

If the game then does manage to start, you could try experimenting with those setting to see what does and doesn't work.

Edit: Also I don't know if the steam version installed this, but something else you can try is grabbing DirectX 9.0c and install that.

This didn't work either. I can't believe I'm being beaten by this game.

• Locked thread