Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Scorchy posted:

Yeah they designed Storm of Zehir to be in that sweet spot of levels (4-15ish?) where you're already past the boring lowbie stage but before the crazy train of epic levels. Sometimes in MotB I feel like I have more framerate melting abilities than I know what to do with. Also aggravated by all the party NPCs other than Okku being casters.

The abundance of high-level casters is partially the reason why I never got very far in MOTB. I just got tired of micro-managing all the spells and buffs. Didn't help that I chose to be a Rogue/Assassin type of character either ...

I've been feeling like giving it another go, but I'm not looking forward to running through that first dungeon yet again. Is there a Dungeon-Be-Gone equivalent or something like that?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

How viable is an enchanter sorcerer in MOTB? I found out the hard way that playing a rogue was gonna suck because of all the undeads and spirits you fight are immune to sneak attacks, so I'm just wondering if they're immune to charms and mind-controlling spells that as well.

Also, found this pure sorcerer build from the link posted earlier with the basic builds http://nwn2db.com/build/?93

It's some wacky kinda shield-using sorcerer, but as I recall from my D&D days you get a spell failure percentage from using shields. Does this not apply in NWN2?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

moot the hopple posted:

I'm just playing it for the story at this point, the actual gameplay is an utter wash for me :(

Yeah I think I'm coming around to this conclusion as well. I really want to like the combat, and if the stars align it can be fun sometimes, but it's just so broken in so many ways.

My current big issue is not being able to easily tell which spells are currently active without stopping the game and sorting through the cluster of tiny icons by the portrait, trying to remember which effect belongs to which spell. I suppose there isn't a mod for this either, because I'm sure it'd be a must-have for everyone.

Also, isn't puppet mode supposed to make your character 100% passive? I've had my sorcerer start bashing away at adjacent enemies even though I never ever want her to do that, especially not if I just cast Etheral Jaunt on her because she was near death ...

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

What's the easiest way to resolve conflicting .2da files?

I wanted to use Distance Tweaks from the OP, but the baseitems.2da and appearance.2da files were already included in Annakie's mod compilation.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Raygereio posted:

Place both .2da files in your override (give them both a unique name for the moment). Boot the toolset, open both .2da files (View - 2DA file) and save them in order to give them both the same formatting.
Then use a program like Winmerge to compare the two. Check what's different and implement one file's changes into the other. You may also want to grab the original file from NWN2's Data folder and compare both mods individually to that first so you know what each mod changes exactly.

That's helpful, thanks!

Which ones of the original .2da files is best to use for comparisons? There seems to be one for the main game and one for each expansion.

I've been fiddling around with WinMerge for a bit and it seems that the Distance Tweaks mod only alters a few variables on each line (speficially CREPERSPACE, HITDIST, and PREFATCKDIST) but doesn't seem to be conflicting with either Kaedrin or Plot Fixes, so as far as I can tell it should be safe to just merge those new variables into the older modded files.

Can I use WinMerge for this as well, or do I have to manually copy/paste every variable?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Welp, it ended up being more work than I thought, mostly because I've never done this stuff before and I had to do some of it manually, but I eventually managed to merge both baseitems.2da files, hopefully without error. Also it turned out that the Plot Fixes appearance.2da file alters the same variables anyway, so I just removed it.

Here's the file in case anyone else wants to use Distance Tweaks with Kaedrin's PRC: http://www.filesnack.com/files/cdxmqnj1

And here's where you get Distance Tweaks: http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=NWN2Other.Detail&id=217

I tested it for the Okku battle and it seemed to work as advertised. It was far less cluttered than before.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Nah, go right ahead. I put a little readme with it as well

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Gentwise posted:

I'm trying to play NWN2 with the mod compilation from the OP. The gameplay is fun enough, but holy crap, it feels like I'm fighting the camera as much as the wolves and lizardmen. The A.I. also behaves very strangely, but that's probably because I haven't really delved into all that mod's AI options.

You get used to it after a while. Just pick a camera mode and stick to it after dicking around with the settings to your likings. I mostly stayed in strategy mode, using WASD and left-click dragging to move the camera around.

Wrapped up MOTB a couple of days ago! :toot:

Ending was a bit anti-climatic. I figured we'd at least get a chance to tear down the wall but that issue was dropped without much fanfare. Overall I'd say it easily lived up to the hype.

Fav moment http://i.imgur.com/1FU43zo.jpg

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Diogines posted:

Wizards of the Coast, I poo poo you not told the developers they could not have you fight Kelemvor, or tear down the Wall. Not that you can't win. You can't even have the fight. They did not want to mess up "realmslore continuity" in a video game.... yeap. Not making this up.

That's hilarious. Thank gently caress they're doing stuff for their own IP now and won't have to consult some greybeard lorekeeper about the proper fashion accessories for Elminster's jaunty hat.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Me and my friends used it during our P&P days and we quickly found out that most of the "realmslore" should just be ignored. For me it's become symbolic for all the theorycrafting/"system mastery" bullshit which 3rd edition D&D was steeped in.

I remember the very first page of the campaign setting book featured detailed stats for Elminster (Fighter1/Rogue2/Cleric3/Wizard24/Archmage5 :lol: ), because demystifying your Gandalf equivalent is a great idea.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Kaiser Schlacht posted:

How important is strength for a dexterity based character? Currently running a Rogue / Monk / Shadowdancer and my friends say I did a horrible mistake increasing my strength by 1 when I had the chance... After that I have put all of my points into dex. In any case, is using a gear with +x strength useful or a waste? Right now I have a +3 strength belt but I have a feeling I should use something else.

Also, undeads are a pain since I am sneak based. How do I deal with them without being completely useless? I tried using a sling (my character has very low Will so I get frightened all the time if I'm melee) with some bludgeoning bullets but even that is pretty lame.

Your biggest mistake is probably making a multiclass character without meticulously planning out your build ahead of time, consulting optimization forums and various min/maxing wikis to get the best Dee-Pee-Ess possible.

Or just don't worry about it, I guess. You can just fix whatever leveling mistakes you make via the console, and give yourself the Epic Precision feat while you're at it to solve the issue with Sneak Attack being useless.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Hannibal Rex posted:

Is there an a) easy or b) well documented way to respec/change your character in the middle of the single player campaign?

You gotta use the console to reset your character back to level 1. Hit whichever button is the ~ symbol on your keyboard. You can't change the original class, and I'm not sure but I think you'll reset your whole party.

When you're level 1 again, just give yourself however much XP you had before and relevel.

The commands are resetlevels and givexp followed by the amount of XP you want.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

CaptainPsyko posted:

"STAY AWAY AT ALL COSTS for the various so called "plot fixes" or "fixes to plot fixes".

What? Why? :confused:

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Ah, I see. Played through MOTB with the plot fixes (and goon-made fix fixes) and I never ran into any obvious issues.

I just figured it'd be all good since it's featured in the mod pack in the OP.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

You should definitely play MOTB, but it's not like it and the OC have anything like the travel mechanics in SOZ so you'll mostly be going in blind anyway.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Motherfucker posted:

My character is an irredeemably minmaxed combat monster.

This whole expansion is a pile of hot garbage and If some DM was actually running a campaign like this was I'd fuckin' laugh in their face. Just as I am laughing at you for being so bad at posting!!

So you're that guy in your gaming group.

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

At least the lore does a pretty good job of emulating the real world equivalents where all these writings and theories were scribbled down by some nerd in a cave, then dug up hundreds of years later to be interpreted and codified according to the current political agenda, context and coherence be damned.

And that's kinda neat, even though it's probably not intentional.

Btw, couldn't someone make an alternate ending mod for MOTB? Since there's official mod tools and all, it should be easier than fan-patching the entirety of KOTOR2 or V:TM Bloodlines, right?

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

Beginners tip for playing Forgotten Realms: Use house-rules liberally.

Or preferably just house-rule the books out the window and play Eberron instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Krowley
Feb 15, 2008

The best setting (besides Eberron, obviously) is the one where you take a blank piece of paper and draw a city (named after first elven name from a random page in LOTR), scratch up some mountains around it and a forest and coastline too. Pick a random spot and write 'Here Be Dragons' and boom you're done.

Tried and true.

If you're gonna play a generic setting with messed up lore and patchwork themes you might as well just have fun creating your own as you go along.

• Locked thread