Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Elanee - Marginally less creepy than Jaheira.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Once you hit 30D6, I believe unmodified blasts also ignore SR, which is handy for acid resistant foes. But for the most part, no, there's no reason not to spam Vitriolic all the time.

10d6 bypasses SR, since the engine treats the amount of blast dice as spell level, and 10th level spells make it poo poo itself. It's also the best way to peel off Mantles for a warlock, since otherwise blasts are treated as, at most, 4th level I think.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Download the Client Extension http://nwvault.ign.com/View.php?view=nwn2other.Detail&id=231 Run the game off that executable.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Captain Scandinaiva posted:

I'm nearing the end of SoU (skipped main campaign) and I'm liking it. But, even with the Gog version, the unofficial patch and some graphical stuff turned off (like environmental mapping), I still get CTDs at least once in every play session. Any idea what is causing this? I once got a popup saying my graphics driver had crashed, so I'm assuming it something tied to that and not sound. I can also hear, but not see, the cutscenes introducing every chapter, though that's not quite as annoying.

Also, I'm playing as a monk, which I've never done before, and I'm wondering how I should level him when I eventually go on to HotU? People on other forums often suggest dual classing as a fighter before lvl 20, to get weapon focus (specialization?) in kamas and dual-wielding. But I've also read that dual-wielding kamas leads to an OP monk with insane number of attacks at the higher levels. I'd still like some challenge and I like the idea of fighting unarmed, but is that even doable in HotU? Any other fun ways to dual class a monk? How about monk/rogue/shadow dancer?

Try running it in compatibility mode (XP SP 2 or 3), run as an admin, make sure that CPU affinity is set to 1. Disable grass, since some tiles have fubared grass. Disable shiny water. I also recall there being something that got hosed with ATI cards that required you to replace a DLL, but I'm pretty sure that if you were having that problem it'd crash on startup.

Regarding the monk, going dual kama is only marginally more grossly OP than any dual wielder with maximally pimped weapons in HoTU. If you really want absurdly broken you can take Monk 6 and dump the rest into Cleric for I think 11 attacks dual wielding with Divine Power and Haste.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

Fuzz posted:

I was all reared up to jump into this, then I saw it was NWN1, which I don't have installed. Care to elaborate more on why it wouldn't be for everyone? I'd like to have a better idea of what it's like before I go through the hassle of finding my old CDs and installing this poo poo, and their forum is mostly total garbage and horribly organized.

Also anyone have any good suggestions on a good Rogue-y melee build for NWN1? Been so long since I played it, I forgot all the ins and outs. Is the server relatively high magic, gear wise?

I haven't played there in ages, but as I recall it's "not for everyone" in that it's a fairly strict RP server with a bunch of rules about what is/isn't considered good RP. XP gain is slow as hell, grinding is discouraged. Setting is Ravenloft, which carries a fair amount of baggage. Low-medium magic, and what's there is hideously expensive and rare. When I gave it a whirl, I got repeatedly gibbed by HiPSing gerbils in low level areas, and got lectured on setting minutia by what turned out to be a 17th level barmaid. Also they were using HCR last I checked, so expect to spend time hunting deer early on to prevent dying mid-rest.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
Nope.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
It's not going to be great, but it isn't completely terrible, either. Death Ward and Mirror Image are both good to have ready access to, if you can't get death immunity from gear. Shield wands are short-lived, but if you don't have a mithril shield (why wouldn't you, though?) they can be a lifesaver. Displacement is a decent "oh poo poo" if you get mobbed in melee. Offensive wands won't be any use. If you're getting the feat for free, it ain't terrible, but I'd never take it myself in the campaigns.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
If you mean on a persistent world, generally no. The server's own custom haks will take precedence. Some overrides will work, but if you're playing on a server you should check their rules, since some will just ban you for using them.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
I'm not 100% sure, but I think any mods will need to be incorporated into the module in question's haks. Someone else might be able to better answer your question, sorry!

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012

CaptainPsyko posted:

Basically, what I'm saying here is that MotB redeems any failures of the NWN2 OC, and, by extension, elevates NWN2 to be among the greatest RPG's ever made for the PC. You're free to disagree with me and all, but this whole 'acting like I'm from another planet where taste doesn't exist' thing is kind of rude and not particularly interesting.

I think it's more the implication that the modding/online scene is entirely irrelevant in your post, man, not that people are just making GBS threads on you for the sake of doing it. I like MotB too, but if the game hadn't had the toolset and server support, I'd never have touched it. I'm probably not alone, either. NWN would never have been what it was without all that, people naturally expected the same from a sequel.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
I think there's actually a setting in the toolset that allows you to do that yourself? It's been forever, so I could be wrong, but I think there's an XP slider that dynamically adjusts the XP/CR formula.

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
For starters, I wouldn't suggest trying to solo SoZ on your first playthrough. You get to make a whole party for this one. With that said, crafting is fairly important, and so is enchanting. Dialogue skills get some use, as well, and it doesn't really matter who has them, since your whole party can interject in conversations.

Vanilla is fine, I think the only real mod for SoZ is the holiday pack or whatever it's called that adds more quests.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SodomyGoat101
Nov 20, 2012
I think it's hardcoded. At the least, no server I ever played on fixed it. It's gotten me killed more often than it's helped, so I just never take it.

• Locked thread