Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

The Crotch posted:

Man, I feel like such an rear end in a top hat for stealing the glowstone from the goblins. There's no way to explain the situation to them, is there?

Listen, that Glowstone was Grobnar's and those rear end in a top hat Goblins stole it from him, so killing them is totally justified.

:colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Aratoeldar posted:

Are you talking about the Swamp Cave with the Bone Phoenix in it? It is first accessible after picking up Khelgar at the Weeping Willow Inn.

Yes.

Realistically, the 'ideal' way to do things if you really don't want to miss *anything* and you aren't playing a rogue, (with everything meaning even a stupid little Khelgar convo worth an influence point and a few bad random chests and the chance to recover instead of disarming or triggering some low level traps for a little extra gold) is to hit the Swamp Cave right after leaving the Weeping Willow - get the Galen encounter, then go to Fort Locke, pick up Neeshka, and then go back and finish clearing out the cave with her in the party.

But that's kind of over-micro-managey for such a broad strokes walkthrough. So long as you go there before the crypts/bandits, it's all good.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Lord Lambeth posted:

Attempting to make my way through this game again after hearing again about how great MOTB is.

Is the AI supposed to just stand there when you aren't occupying that particular person? Because it's sort of irritating to tell bevil to keep attacking this one guy only to see him attack once and then stand they, soaking up damage.

Do you have TonyK's AI installed? If so, the solutions in the OP. If not, read on:

1st, check to see if puppet mode is on, and the AI is enabled. (Former is in the character AI menu. The latter is a toggle button on the corner of your screen. Red =off, blue = on

2nd: before entering combat, right click on the ground and hold - from the drop down, issue an Attack Nearest or Guard Me command. You may have to do this again after cutscenes or changing zones sometimes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Scorchy posted:

I never ever used the warlock character in the campaign or made one as a PC, so I know nothing about them. I've tried one setting up here: http://nwn2db.com/build/?145147

- Does Sneak Attack work with Eldritch Blasts when you've got Arcane Throw?
- Does Improved Crit (Ranged Touch) work with Eldritch Blast?
- Can you just stack all those 24 hour invocation buffs or are they only one at a time?
- Is there any reason to use any blast type other than Vitriolic Blast, since it's suppose to ignore spell resistance?

I saw that build and wondered if it was you. I can go over it in more detail, but in short:

1) eldritch blast doesn't work with daggerspell goodies. It's stupid and a shame, and as I understand it an engine limitation. That said, with Ks, sneak dice do work with Eldritch Blast.

2) Yes, and it's amazing. Probably the second best fear for a Blast damage warlock.

3) yup, you can use them all at once. It's awesome.

4) At low levels (read, the OC), the various debuff blasts are quite handy, and still situationally useful late **if** you stack charisma. Saves are a bigger issue for those than resistance. Once you hit 30D6, I believe unmodified blasts also ignore SR, which is handy for acid resistant foes. But for the most part, no, there's no reason not to spam Vitriolic all the time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Smol posted:

I'll warn you that you'll probably bore yourself to death by playing a warlock. It's the most repetitive class in the game.

I totally don't find this to be true compared to any straight melee build. The only advantage those have is that you can let AI control them and run a caster companion all the time. But you can do that as a Warlock too by pausing at the start of combat and queuing a ton of blasts if you don't want to micromanage other invocations. (Which, by doing, you can accomplish a ton.)

Warlocks are awesome, especially at mid-high levels where you'll spend most of your OC/MOTB play time.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
So, I'm running NWN2 under OS X, using the Mac App Store version of the game. I have the expansions installed as well, having installed them (GOG Version) under windows and moved the relevant files. I decided to see about trying to log in to a PW today and got an error saying my CD Key was invalid.

Anyone have any experience with this to know where I should even look to fix it? I'm willing to try out most solutions that don't involve reinstalling the game, because that was enough of a pain in the rear end that I'm not looking forward to doing it again any time soon.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Raygereio posted:

Check if there's a file called nwncdkey.ini in your base NWN2 instal folder that contains your keys. If there isn't, make one. It should look like this:

[CDKEY]
Key1=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Key2=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
key3=XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX

1 is your OC key, 2 is MotB, 3 is SoZ.

Hmm... looks like the keys for my MOTB and SoZ are blank. Where would I find those if I'm running the GOG versions of the expansions?

Edit: Nevermind, found them on GOG's website!

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 02:57 on May 26, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
In the same vein as the IWD remake, some very very insane people went and remade Baldur's Gate in it's entirety as an NWN2 mod:

http://neverwinter.nexusmods.com/mods/794//

Edit: There's a trailer and Minsc looks great at the end of it.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 04:46 on Jun 5, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

blizzardvizard posted:

So this is my first time playing NWN2, and I was thinking of playing a warlock. Is it... as bad as I've seen people say? Like, unplayably bad? I've played almost exclusively as a Wizard/Sorcerer in this sort of games, and thought a different type of caster (Warlock) may be a nice change of pace. But if it's horribly underpowered and painful to play, then I might as well spare myself...

edit: Oh and what would be a good difficulty for a first-timer? I'm fine with Core Rules on BG games, if that helps. Though I know gently caress-all about D&D 3.5 ed rules, so. :v:

It is not as bad as people say. Warlocks are kind of junky (though by no means unplayable) at levels 1-5, because they basically have the damage output of a fighter using a short bow, without the survivability of said fighter. By level 10 or so, a Warlock is holding his own in damage output against single targets against just about anybody, and owning bones in AE situations as well. And at level 21 you become a loving demigod.

Most of the complaints about warlocks fall into two categories:

1) People in this thread like to complain that they are boring because you cast Eldritch Blast every round, and generally have a small spell selection. This is, quite frankly, bullshit. First of all, I am not sure why these people would complain about Warlocks and not, say, playing a melee character whom you literally set and forget on a target. Beyond that however, you can actually accomplish quite a bit of variety with a few blast shapes and essences that can change up how you play for a lot of fun if you want. Between Doom, Chain, and Spear, you have a wide AoE, a chain attack that hits multiple single targets, and the single longest ranged offensive ability in the game. And then you have a variety of Essences that can apply damage debuffs, slowing effects, stuns, and more - yes, against enemies with spell resistance at high levels you just use Vitriolic Blast because it ignores that, but that really isn't anywhere close to all foes, and, (for example), kiting mobs with Eldritch Spear/Chain and Beshadowed Blast (notably good because it is a Blind, on a Fort save, and not Mind Affecting; works on undead, etc.) is a lot of fun.

Beyond that, I'm not sure how playing a Sorcerer and spamming a Missile Storm spell every round and having to watch the clock on your buffs (as opposed to just hitting them when you rest and being good for basically forever) is more interesting.

2) The second complaint comes from the fact that a lot of people have no clue how to play Warlocks, and in particular how to build them. It's really easy for a Warlock to feel really weak without, for example, a decent Dex, and feats like Eldritch Master at high levels, or Imp. Critical: Ranged Touch Attack in the mid game. Blind Fight is also near-essential and often overlooked.

First of all, without Kaedrin's Pack, don't bother multiclassing, other than Hellfire Warlock, and maybe a single level dip (to pick up something like HiPS, Divine Shield, or Rogue skills). As a Warlock, your bread and butter is much more thoroughly tied into your number of Warlock levels than any other class, and Warlocks get much less out of multiclassing than anybody else. Secondly, stacking Charisma is generally not a great idea. You want 'enough' Charisma - 14 is generally fine - and then to pump everything else into Constitution and Dexterity. Especially Dexterity, which increases the AB of your ranged touch attack, which is what all of your damage output is based on.

I Highly, highly highly reccomend reading Crithead's Warlock Guides over at NWN2 DB. Here's his guide to a standard Eldritch Blast-centric Warlock. For a first time play through the OC, you can't go too far wrong with the specific build he proposes either. (Though I'd drop Spot and Listen to put more points in Disable Device and to grab a conversation skill.)

(For further reading, Here's his other guide, for playing a Charisma-based 'lock, and grabbing Divine Shield for insane AC and Saving Throw shenanigans.)

As a final Warlock build note: If you don't have Kaedrin's, there are two mechanical quirks that will go a long way to happy warlocking: 1) Combat Expertise/Improved Combat Expertise mode does not reduce your ranged touch attack bonus. That means the feats are worth 6 free AC, which is awesome. 2) If you take the Hellfire Warlock class and then have Death Ward cast on yourself (or equip an item that grants Immunity to Ability Drain, like an easily crafted Amulet of Greater Health), you can use the Hellfire abilities without taking any constitution damage. Which basically means that in return for wasting some skill points on Lore and Intimidate, you get +6D6 to Eldritch Blast damage, and a pretty nice damage shield if anything tries to hit you to boot. Also, awesome glowing eyes.

As for a difficulty: I suggest just starting on D&D Hardcore, and turning it down if you find Friendly Fire to be annoying or holding you back. You probably won't.

Lakbay posted:

Since the other thread died for the BG remake, what classes are really strong in the low levels using NWN2's ruleset? If they stayed true to the original I'm guessing your character won't get past level 7.

Dev has said you can expect on getting to around 10.

Given that, standard low level D&D advice applies: Fighter, Paladin, Ranger, are all very strong. Rogue, Cleric, and Bard will come into their own in time to be useful. Warlock, Sorcerer, and Wizard are only going to just start hitting the accelerator when you cap out.

You can do fun things with some Prestige classes, but you'll want to plan those out pretty tightly to do well with them.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Jun 7, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Sorry to double post, but one other good tip:

If you go to the NWN2DB and search for builds with a max level of 10, and then sort by votes, you'll get a lot of quality builds. Capping at 10 is remarkably good at filtering out a lot of the crap level 30 builds that got votes for no good reason.

The guys in the forum over there did a Quick Start Challenge about a year ago to create builds that pack a lot of power in by level 6, and most of them can be easily expanded out to 10 levels, and there are also some great level 10 builds. There are also some nice new ones showing up on the DB inspired by BGR. This is a pretty nifty SwashBard that grabs Leadership, for example.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

blizzardvizard posted:

Thanks a lot! Half of the post is still indecipherable jargon for me right now, but I'm sure I'll get them as I play. :shobon:

Just a few more things, since you mentioned 'wasting skill points in Intimidate', does that mean I should use Bluff as my conversation skill instead? (Or Diplomacy, in which case it seems I need to take that Able Learner feat?) Also, are those Spell Penetration/Combat Casting feats worth taking? Some guides I saw say they're essential, but Crithead's guides don't have them.

A Short Guide to Conversation Skills:

Diplomacy: Most widely useful. Tends to result in Lawful or Good alignment shifts.
Bluff: Second most widely used. Tends to result in Chaotic alignment shifts. Best for getting lots of money. Also often hilarious.
Intimidate: Least useful, though still used. Tends to result in Evil alignment shifts. Good for getting into fights.

Pick the one that reflects the alignment you're going to be playing. In general, on my Warlocks, I like to pump Bluff and put spare/unneeded points into Intimidate from time to time. Between naturally decent Charisma, a Nymph Cloak, the Beguiling Influence invocation (+4 to all three Convo skills, awesome for the OC), and the huge bonuses you can get for having Grobnar in the party using Inspire Skill and casting Greater Heroism on you, you'll be able to pass most talk checks you come across.

Really, it's Lore that's the wasted skill. gently caress Lore.

Spell Penetration is really bad on Warlocks because you only get half the benefit (I did mention Warlocks have lots of dumb bugs, right?), and because once you get Vitriolic Blast, you can just use that to overcome spell resistance and you never need to worry about penetration checks again.

Combat Casting is a skill that nobody should ever take unless it's required to qualify for something. It provides a +3 to Concentration checks when in defensive casting mode. Skill Focus: Concentration provides a +4 to concentration checks, all the time, including when you use Combat Expertise mode instead of Combat Casting Mode because after a certain point, it doesn't matter if you provoke Attacks of Opportunity, they're incapable of interrupting your spell, so you're better off trying not to get hit. (Don't bother with Skill Focus: Concentration either, just maxing Conc every level is enough. I merely point it out to make clear how bad Combat Casting is. You can read more about that here: http://nwn2.wikia.com/wiki/Defensive_casting)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Yeah, KPack fixes a lot of the fun warlock bugs sadly. (It also fixes the Death Ward/Hellfire bug, which is a shame.)

Keep in kind however, that Touch attacks ignore AC from Armor and Shields, so at high levels, the penalty from Combat Expertise is still probably worth it for the AC. 6 AC from ICE is a lot.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Crafting feats for the PC generally aren't needed.

Give both feats to Sand and Elanee and between them, you can craft 99% of things in the game. The only things you can't craft will be +Acid damage on weapons and a Robe of the Archmagi. Should you really want either of those, just give the respective feats (Arms/Armor for acid damage, wondrous items for the robes), to either Qara or Zjhave. (And make sure Qara knows the appropriate spells, Mage Armor and Melf's Acid Arrow. Zjhave will have them.)

But really, Sand and Elanee make the best crafters. Sand because he has more feats available to him than there are useful feats, and because as a Wizard, you can get all the spells you need for the most part for him, and Elanee because she's just so generally useless and annoying that giving her Crafting Feats is a good way to keep her sitting in the Inn/Keep and not dragging your party down while still not being a total waste of space.

(As for crafting skills, Grobnar can basically handle them solo with buffs.)

Edit: In the expansion, Safiya can do everything and there is no need to bring along anyone else. The really good enchants come from a special feat that you're granted for free thanks to a plot macguffin.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Jun 8, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
BG:R does include Kaedrins (and a bunch of other mods listed in the readme) but it's not the latest version, so no Hexblades (for example).

But whatever, Hexblades are dumb.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

OSheaman posted:

I definitely remember the NWN2 OC being really poo poo and I never liked MotB as much as everyone else. I'm playing NWN1 to get to the expansions but I figure I don't have to skip the OC to eventually get to and enjoy the expansions.

The NWN expansions don't follow on from the OC. SoU is designed for a new character, and HotU imports from SoU. The OC stands alone and is terrible and you should skip it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lolasaurusrex posted:

How playable is this game vanilla? The recommended mod list is fairly expansive, but I like to play through games like the developer intended, at least for the first playthrough.

The mods are not in any way required. They mainly add replay value.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Brave New World posted:

Ditto. I absolutely love the first chapter of NWN1, even though I'll agree that the rest of the OC is pretty terrible and repetitive.

:psyduck: did you play the same OC as us? The Orc Caves aren't terrible and repetitive, but the Trial, Crossroads Keep, Jerro's Haven, etc. are?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Zarfol posted:

I'm kind of curious as well. I actually enjoyed the nwn2 oc. Sure, act one was a little repetitive with the orc caves, but the trial more than made up for it and MOTB owns. Is it worth picking up nwn1 from gog for a play through?

It is, but not for it's OC. The NWN1 expansions are where it's at.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

lolasaurusrex posted:

Started playing the NWN2 OC today. Played through the crypts where you meet Commander Tann and saved his two men. Forgot to save before exiting the dungeon though. Ended up being slaughtered by Captain Vallis as I returned to Forte Locke. Replayed the dungeon and saved, but Vallis killed us all again.

I took out his two men easily enough, but he hits for about 25HP per swing. Is it feasible to win this fight, or are you meant to try and talk your way out of it?

It's winnable. You can talk your way out of fighting his two goons though, and instead get them to help you fight the commander if you're having trouble.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Plot fixes, even with fixes is a waste of time. The plot wasn't that broken to begin with.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Red Mundus posted:

I've never played NWN2 or expansions before and I'm curious if the PC's race changes any of the dialog or content.

I'm thinking of rolling an Orc or Tiefling. If race changes nothing I might just roll a crazy human wizard then.

There are like... 3 dialogs that acknowledge Tieflings. No actual gameplay impact though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Dumb Mod Search: Is there a mod out there that allows Zen Archery (Or the Kaedrin's added Intuitive Attack) to work with Ranged (/Melee) Touch attacks?

Seems like such an oversight, but it's a frustrating one that I am too dumb to fix, and can't find a fix for on the Vault/Nexus. :(

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Radio Talmudist posted:

I played the base NVN game ages ago, but haven't touched the expansion. Should I skip to HoTU or play SoU first?

Play SoU. It feeds directly into HotU, and the two form a complete story, for which you can use one character.

Also, playing SoU first means more Deekin, which is awesome because Deekin is awesome.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Radio Talmudist posted:

Oh well...I do wish there was some neat monkish prestige classes though.

EDIT: If I try using non-kama weapons with my monk, will I get my rear end handed to me?

At that point, there's no reason to be a monk.

You may want to look at the PRC for NWN, which adds a ton of base and prestige classes.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
A Link That Should Probably Go in the OP:

NWN2 Stock Character Builds

The more hardcore folks at the nwn2db made a listing of baseline builds for the most common class combos/build concepts, as well as some solid level 30 single class yardstick builds for anything you might want to do.

If you want a build for NWN2 and are afraid of loving anything up, this is about as good as it gets; none of them use kpack stuff or weird exploits, and all of them are solidly 1-30 playable.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

xanthan posted:

So does the PRC class pack for NWN1 still require that external character creator to use it's races and base classes?

Pretty sure it does.

Alternately, most of the PRC races for NWN1 have absurd ECL's and aren't worth using, and you can always start at level 1 with a different class and then multi-in, if your build can work with that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cirosan posted:

Any recommendations for Sorcerer spell picks in NWN2? I'm starting a new playthrough of the OC+MotB using Kaedrin's PRC Pack and the mod compilation in the OP.

All of the Isaacs Missile Storm spells, along with a full stack of metamagic feats.

Premonition, or at lower levels, Stoneskin.

Firebrand.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I know that there are a few NWN2 PW's that have a level 40 cap. No clue how they do it though.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Interociter posted:

Wearing +int gear doesn't affect skill points at level-up, right? Because that would be too hard for my min-maxy brain to resist, but lame bookkeeping as well.

No, it doesn't.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Quantumfate posted:

Myself and three of my friends are planning on running through SoZ together, looking forward to an old school dungeon crawl type thing. Are there any must-have mods or fixes or anything we should know before starting? Myself and one other of my friends have experience with NwN2, the other two are completely new.

Or is SoZ so terrible that we should just find something else?

SoZ is probably the ideal official module to run multiplayer.

No mandatory mods, but Kaedrins is nice if you're so inclined. It adds a lot of complexity though if folks are new to 3E in general.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?117100

You can ditch Able Learner and the Assassin dip for whatever to meet the level reqs.

Edit: That said, don't roll a cleric/stormlord if you want to play a skillmonkey. You'll be getting 2/level and dumping Int for the most part.

Edit 2: Here are some other choices that don't suck:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?37132 - this one gets HiPS (the best feat in the game), a 5d6 Sneak Attack, and EDM/DS, but it's kind of a late bloomer.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?18951 - this version is a cleave monster with nutso Strength.
http://nwn2db.com/build/?82137 - this is a fun Warlock/FS/SL hybrid that gives you a ~10d6 persistent damage aura. If your server isn't using K's, this (using Death Ward to prevent Con Damage from hellfire, quicken on Eldritch Blast, etc.) may or may not be fixed - it is in K's, but I know nothing about Cormyrs custom stuff. Here's a version that is also an Orc: http://nwn2db.com/build/?234
http://nwn2db.com/build/?10093 - Crit Machine Weapon Master variant. For when you just want to stab things in the face.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 13:30 on Oct 17, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The monk class is fine, but Khelgar makes a really lovely monk, especially because the Belt/Hammer of Ironfist combo is so damned good and perfect for him. Also, have you seen his Wis/Dex scores? Monks need those. Especially Wisdom.

Keep him as a fighter.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Hmmm. Cormyr isn't running KPack.

I wonder if the Alertness bug works...?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Futzed around on Cormyr for an hour of two today. After realizing that it was going to take like 9 hours of grinding the same two hallways to get to level 3, and that going anyplace else gets me killed immediately, I gave up.

I understand slow progression but this is pathetic/insane.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Welp, back to ignoring the existence of PW's for NWN2.

I've been meaning to try futzing around with Path of Evil...

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
We really ought to change the thread title to "Let's Get A Bit Romantic In Here".

It's even appropriate to the campaign content!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

KittyEmpress posted:

Also it's an MMO which is dumb.

It's an MMO. It's dumb. But the two aren't intrinsically linked, especially given that the real original NWN (not the one that was made by bioware) was basically the first graphical MMO ever. It was also my introduction to role playing online and it was awesome.

(I also vaguely recall Neverwinter being the official RPGA setting back in the late 2E days - the granddaddy of structured play/con-centric global tabletop stuff - so saying that it got a random and unprecedented push in the 4E era seems a little off in that respect. It's always been one of the default adventuring hubs for the Realms.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

BadAstronaut posted:

I'm thinking of building an Arcane Archer to take through the original campaign. Half-elf, start with ranger. Is there a recommended stats build that will give me the best edge later in the game?
Is there a similar class that is also balanced for melee? Straight ranger?
From what I remember of when I played the OC back in... oh... 2007, the dwarf is a really good fighter, I had some girl(s) who were great/passable mages, and there was also a thief girl? So I don't need to be any of those classes?
I want a nice balanced party, but I don't want to play as a mage, monk or straight fighter. Something not too micro-managey, preferably.

Any tips? Go go go...

For an AA build:

http://nwn2db.com/build/?11771 - Ranger 21, gets Bane of Enemies, which is baller.

http://nwn2db.com/build/?125010 - Assassin 8, gets Hide in Plain Sight (The Best Feat In The Game), and 4d6 Sneak dice. Sadly, those sneak dice aren't as useful in late OC/MotB because of tons of crit immune undead and elementals, but if you want something stealthier, it's a good choice.

Both campaigns are good at giving you companions that can handle anything you'll need. In the OC, you end up with one of every class by the end (though the Warlock and Cleric come quite late, you'll already have a Druid, Bard, Sorcerer, and Wizard around, so whatever.) In Mask, you get a Wizard (with a Rogue familiar), a Fighter-Cleric, a Spirit Shaman (sort of a Druid with Sorc style casting), and either a Barbarian/Rogue or a straight Fighter.

One alternative if you want something a bit more interactive than meleeing and a bit less micromanage than a typical Arcane caster is a blaster-warlock. Queueing up Eldritch Blasts is fairly similar to queueing up bowshots; the class basically plays as an archer, but you get about a dozen spells to play around with for some extra options, including some nice buffs. The downside is that your build options are very limited, as, really, the only thing that benefits a Warlock is more levels of Warlock. (And maybe a single level of Cleric for Divine Shield or Shadowdancer for HIPS.)

Also, while trying to look up some crafting stuff just now I found out that thieves-guild.net is gone. :( They let the domain expire and everything. RIP to one of the most useful NWN2 sites out there.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:31 on Nov 11, 2013

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

BadAstronaut posted:

OK, so I can do it with Fighter and Sorcerer combo... I don't need to be a ranger at all?
And is a Fighter's weapon specialisation: longbow better than anything I can get as a Ranger? If so, what actual advantages does a Ranger have over a pure Fighter?

EDIT: Do you get tomes etc in this game to increase base stats? Some of my stats are horribly weak, but I would like to have 18 DEX, 16 INT and get my STR up eventually, without having too low a CHA. It's also been about 6 or 7 years since I spent time on this game, and I've just played Baldur's Gate: Enhanced Edition, so I have forgotten a lot about character creation in NWN2.

Double postin' to reply to this:

No, you don't need Ranger, but if you don't need the feats from Fighter, Ranger will give you better skill access and Favored Enemies, (and eventually, outdoor HiPS and access to Bane of Enemies), the latter of which is a pretty nice damage boost, since you can cherry pick basics like Undead and Elementals and Constructs.

(Also, Ranger gives you an Animal Companion which you can trade in for a badass Dinosaur.)

There are no tomes, but you'll get +1 to a stat of your choice every 4 levels. In general, it's better to use this point on your best stat, rather than to shore up a dump. If you need to, pump that stat a bit less at creation in order to dump less. It's 'cheaper'.

Also, it's fairly easy to get your hands on +8 items for all stats by the end of the OC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
You should hit 20 by the end of the OC unless you eat multi class penalties or play an ECL2 race like Drow and skip a bunch of side quests or something.

Arcane Archers (or really, bow users in general), are fine. That said, they mostly play the same as melee, where you pick a target and then switch to controlling your casters.

There are people here who will tell you that Warlocks are boring because Eldritch Blast is basically not all that different from using a super-powered bow, except that you need to hit the button for every shot. The flip side is that you can queue up 15 shots by smashing the button a lot, and your shots can do crazy poo poo like chain to nearby targets or acid damage or slowing, or whatever else, on demand.

Also, because Warlocks aren't very stat dependent, you can build a fairly even spread and do things like have high social skills for the campaign really easily, which I'm quite fond of.

• Locked thread