Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: Thanks to Unruly Amoeba we have this awesome guide for newbies! :siren:
I've removed pretty much everything from the OP because it's all handled better and in more depth there.

What is Dust 514?
Dust 514 is a train wreck terrible average fun free-to-play PlayStation 3 first person shooter directly connected to the EVE Universe. The game is the next step in CCP's vision of a universe of corporations and empires at war; where mercenary armies of cloned space marines and armadas of immortal spaceship pilots fight for economic and territorial control on one single shard server. Developed by CCP over the better part of five years, Dust has had an interesting history. Designed terribly and implemented even worse, the game was in such a bad state that CCP threw a Hail-Mary and hired a few high-positioned people to get the game in a playable state. The result? In little over a year the development team has managed to turn the abomination of a game into a relatively deep and fun experience worthy of praise.

If you're looking for something easy with instant gratification you should probably go back to Call of Duty. Dust is not an easy game. Fundamentally designed like EVE, the two games share many common traits and complexities; Both games use a similar skill-point system that allows for personal specialization, and an extremely deep fitting system which allows customization in ways no other genre has before. Every battle in Dust takes place on a real planet in EVE, and EVE ships can bombard your enemies from orbit. When you die, the equipment you were carrying is lost forever. You feel the loss, and more importantly, so will your enemy.

Free to Play
Dust is free to play with micro-transactions available; None of the equipment gives you an unfair advantage, but it does make it that much sweeter knowing the pubbie you just facesomped was bankrolled by his mom's credit card. There are also items that increase the amount of active SP & passive SP you receive, they are nice but not required. Did we mention that you don’t have to pay for using voice comms anymore?

Don’t have a PS3? First, ask yourself what’s wrong with you. Secondly, there’s a thriving secondary-market for PS3s. If you don’t mind having one without a working laser you could probably get one fairly cheaply. Since you don’t need the lasers to play DUST this works out well for you. Also, don’t worry about it being outdated when the next generation consoles are released. DUST is confirmed for the PS4.

What is Goonfeet?

Beren Hurin posted:

No but really...why do this?

Deep down inside you have to answer why it gives you pleasure to not only kill a person, see their deaths rise, then revive and kill them again....

You are not getting pleasure from 'the contest'; the procedural correction of weaknesses toward a more precise mastery of a tool.

Don't get me wrong, it isn't even a productive tool. The game is only a tool insofar as it exists to entertain. It is a banal tool in that respect... If you think that you have mastered this tool in its ability to entertain by your 'original' behavior, future forms of addiction have another thing to teach you about mastery.

The reality that you must face is that at best you and your ilk are a Troll. Not the workaday cynic, bored, forum wh*re kind of troll. But the truly warped psyche that charges people an arbitrary and hope-killing tax on enjoying life. You are like the online version of why milk needs an expiration date. You are Rot -- digitally incarnated.

If this warms you on the inside...if this strikes you as quaint and incites feelings of personal satisfaction, connection, and existential enthusiasm, you very well just might be the pathological anti-hero that the video-game critics want so very badly to exist. You very well just might be some kind of twisted sadist. However, it is a tragically supressed sadism. It is one for which you truly need help.

You are very likely neurochemically trapped by the need to exploit, to reduce, and to destroy. Be warned...the dopamine receptors that are feeding this high will deaden. What you get from this habit, lust, and addiction that you may think is creative, or authentic will taper and be found wanting.

Goonfeet is a collection of EVE goons, non-EVE players from SomethingAwful, and blues from the CFC. We range from hardcore FPS gamers to casual EVE players looking to do something in their free time. We have competitive gamers, guys who do nothing but grief teammates (we're notorious for this) while discovering cool bugs like the infinite orbital bombardment exploit that we unleashed on the universe. Unlike the former corporation 'Immobile Infantry', Goonfeet is officially backed as a GoonSwarm Federation entity. We are currently working to make the integration as painless as possible. If you're still in II you're bad and you need to get in Goonfeet yesterday.

When to Squad Up
Fighting with goons is ALWAYS better than fighting alone. For that reason we have people who have promised to run squads at predictable times so you nerds will never need to be alone.

:siren:Monday - Friday:siren:
USTZ: 08:30 p.m. EST (01:30 p.m. GMT) - Paradoxical Nature (Our CEO)
EUTZ: 04:00 p.m. GMT (11:00 a.m. EST) - Jotuun

To join the squad speak up in Dust.CFC ingame. If you don't see anyone on you have my permission raise a stink on Jabber and in the IRC.

How to join

First off, the entry requirements have changed. We are only accepting SA members in good standing that have had an ACTIVE account for at least 3 months. So J4G shitlords can :frogout:

1. Connect your PSN account to Dust 514 using one of the handy recruiter links provided below. Signing up this way gets your fellow goons a couple of free items.
2. Download Dust 514 from the PlayStation network store to your PS3.
3. Apply to the in-game corporation "Goonfeet" in-game. :siren:FEET! No L you god drat sons of bitches!:siren: If you keep timing out, add "CEO Mark Zuckerberg" to your contacts list and apply that way. Please include your PSN_ID with the in game app to save our auth guys some time.
4. Post in this thread with your character name and one of the directors will hit accept on the application.
5. Once accepted into the corp, join the in-game channel dust.CFC

Recruiter Links
Paradoxical Nature AKA Unruly Amoeba (Head of the Education Department, Chief Newbee Wrangler)
Moronic Farce
Sammus
Present
If you click on one of these links feel free to track down the guy who's name is attached to it and badger him with all the annoying questions you want. If they aren't a good mentor tell me and I'll pull their link.

Don’t forget to get into our IRC channel at irc.synirc.net #ImmobileInfantry where we answer questions and coordinate squads and events.

---- FAQ ----
1: I am a member of the PC Gaming Master Race! I like the concept, but I hate D-Pads!
A: Not really a question, but, you are able to use your precious Keyboard and Mouse natively with DUST 514.

2: Does your starting Race and Bloodline Matter?
A: Nope. You can train whatever suit you desire, without consequence. The only thing it’ll set is what system your apartment is in at the start, your portrait, the appearance of your living quarters (each race has their own) and your starting NPC Corp.

3: My mouse sensitivity is made of tar and rear end, how do I fix it?
A:

Soarer posted:

Yeah, things to check are aim assist OFF, mouse smoothing OFF, dead zone on the move to ZERO, and also make sure the controller X/Y sensitivities are equal. I play at 80 on the mouse sensitivity setting. Not sure what I have my controller sensitivities to though.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Jul 21, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

CEO Update 1-1-2014

Paradoxical Nature posted:

CEO Update for Jan ‘14
It has been some year, hasn’t it? As a corporation, we have undertaken a mass exodus, bad patches, really bad patches, and our own burn-out with a game that seems to move forward at a snail’s pace.

Yet, we are still here and we aren’t going anywhere.

Today, Uprising 1.7 is live and has breathed new life into a stale game. DUST 514 is still not the game that we want it to be, but this patch has shown us the direction it is going. It was enough of a signal to make us sit up, wipe away the cheeto dust, and take notice.

This update is about where we came from, the road ahead, and how you can help build our future.

For our players who are on walk-about or those who are curious about DUST 514 and the experience with Goons, to steal a phrase from our sister game,

“There has never been a better time.”

The Road Ahead
The road ahead is strangely optimistic for our terrible game. Faction Warfare 2 has proven to be interesting and even fun. The second iteration to Planetary Conquest might follow in the footsteps blazed by Faction Warfare; breathing new life into that as well. There’s also a Fanfest on the horizon, which might hold more genuinely good surprises. But, we need you back, squading up, and helping us harvest the tears which are ours by birthright.

Now is the time to get on and playing and I’ll go over some of the reasons to do so.

Back in Black: SPERG Alliance & the Red-Headed Stepchildren Coalition
After we wiped the cheeto-dust from our chests we realized we wanted to take a more active role in leading ourselves. To that end, we’ve left TopMen alliance and rejoined our first home, Special Planetary Emergency Response Group <SPERG>.

This allows us greater autonomy and flexibility in these fluid times. Joining us in <SPERG> is Enlightened Infantries [ENL-D], a corp spun off from Enlightened Industries [ENL-I] a corp in Goonswarm Federation <CONDI>. They are a new corp, so everyone is encouraged to show them the ropes offer them a hand, and help them shoot the pubbie menace.

We still enjoy a strong relationship with our friends in TopMen and have formed an informal (well as informal as an informal arrangement is) coalition with them, that I’ve nicknamed the Red-Headed Stepchildren Coalition. TopMen invites us to assist them in Planetary Conquest matches and general bike riding. In addition, we still retain our services at dust-gents.com. In exchange, they are still welcomed in our squads and any shenanigans we might get into in the future.

Faction Warfare
Some of you who are playing have noticed that we’ve been working with our CFC FW friends, I Whip My Slaves Back and Forth <J4LP> and running Amarr FW with them in the skies. We will be continuing to do that and I want more of you jerks showing up to help. It’s a lot of fun seeing the enemy team slump when they realize you have OB support and they don’t.

Yes, that means officially the SPERG Alliance is Amarr FW.

This does not mean that you are not allowed to go do Gallente, Caldari, or Minmatar. If you want to grind out the LP for your shinies, you will do so knowing that you will not receive air support and it will not be our initial focus when forming up.

J4LP and SPERG will be setting more standard times for Pilots to hook up with Mercs on the field, potentially around our US prime.

Introducing the Black Ops SIG
Those of you familiar with Goonfleet’s structure will know about Special Interest Groups. For those who aren’t a quick word about them. These are coteries of individuals focused on a specific mission that you can come and go as you please. The Black Ops SIG will be responsible for figuring out the best methods and practices for griefing, awoxing, and general all around tear-production that puts bugs in the pants of e-honorable console pubbies.

I’ve tapped Breakin’ Stuff and Sammus 420 to head it up and they’ll be heading squads and doing their thing. Get in touch with them if you want to join their holy mission.

Education Ministry
The Education Ministry is still recruiting writers, editors, and designers for the Newbie Guide. In the future, I’d like to see the publications released to expand to a quarterly Bitter Vet guide. We’re also looking to recruit and train new Squad Leaders and get the general goon used to ordering their fellow goons around.

8:30 PM EST/EDT Squad
I run a squad every night starting at around 8:30 PM EST. Show up, get in, and let’s go ride bikes. Consider it a standing operation where we do whatever strikes our fancy that mostly ends in people getting their faces smashed in.

World of Tanks 514
Get your asses in a Tank. In 1.7, in an attempt to give vehicles more of a defined role, vehicles got buffed. In true :ccp: fashion, they went too far in doing it while at the same time nerfing Anti-Vehicle equipment and weapons into the ground. It is up to us Goons to abuse this until CCP fixes it.

You can have a tank with 0 SP. Here’s how you should fit it:

Anti-Tank Sniper (0 SP)

Sica (MLT) (77K ISK)

MLT Rail Gun Mod
MLT Rail Gun Mod

MLT Light Repair

MLT 120mm armor railgun

Soma (MLT)
Railgun Damage Mod
Railgun Damage Mod

CPU Extender
CPU Extender

Railgun

One More Thing
I’d like to take this moment to thanks Dex for his work as CEO for our little corporation that could. His extraordinary insight and his general knowledge of both games have gone far in our growth. He has stepped down as CEO to pursue other interests, agreeing to remain active as the Alliance and Corporation Executor. He has our thanks and everyone should follow his twitter @HVACRepairman

I’m taking his place as CEO while Samahiel handles Corporation Management from his EvE Character since DUST characters do not have the tools necessary. So, if we screw up, it’s my fault -- for real this time.

Goonfeet Structure:
Alliance Executor: CEO Mark Zuckerberg / Dexter Peabody / Lovefromabove (SA: Spazzhole)

Leadership
CEO: Paradoxical Nature (SA: Unruly Amoeba)
Consigliere: Samahiel Noban (SA: Samahiel)
Auth Director: Soarer (SA: Soarer)
Director: Fuzzy Jello (SA: Fuzzy Jello)

SIG Leaders
Black Ops: Sammus 420 (SA: Sammus 420)
Black Ops: Breakin’ Stuff (SA: Lost in the Sauce)

Hangers On
Mascot: Eltra Ardell (SA: PerrineClostermann)

Chat Channels:
dust.cfc: semi-public channel and general water cooler for all of the CFC. This includes: Goonswarm Federation, TopMen., and J4LP. Not uncommon for a squad to run their voice chat through here and requests to OB or for more bodies for a PC match go here also.

dirtnglitter: public channel for Dirt N’ Glitter, a member corp in J4LP (Amarr FW)

ENL-D: public channel for alliance mates Enlightened Infantries, the DUST arm of ENL-I in Goonswarm Federation.

iWhip: public channel for the J4LP Alliance (Amarr FW) and member of the CFC.

TopMen.Pub: public channel for the TopMen. alliance. and member alliance in the Red Headed Stepchildren Coalition.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Jan 10, 2014

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

PerrineClostermann posted:

Just a note, it's more important to have a decent fit than a decent weapon. I've been doing very well in my Proto Medium Frame with only AR Operation 1. You honestly only "need" to go to Advanced level, which isn't much of an SP investment...unless you're new.

I typically run with the EXO-5 mass driver myself, It's only when I'm up against stiff resistance or a really persistent opponent that I pull out the proto "Freedom" mass driver. The difference is noticeable, and can tip the scales in your favor. But, you definitely care more when you lose a couple to being dumb.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Oh, I'm not trying to discount better weapons. They're better for a reason. It's just that with my Exile (which, admittedly, is basically a less-damaging GEK), I often fight and kill Protosuits without much of an issue.

Also, the T1 Swarm Launcher is pretty good now. If you need AV, drop 12k SP into Swarms and pick up Hacked EX-0 AV Grenades, which require no skills.

T1 Swarms are awesome, I was using one the other day to absolutely ruin the hopes and dreams of the enemy. We had them bottle necked and they kept calling in milita LAVs to try to break out. My swarm launcher didn't even let those trucks reach ground.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

I do believe, and I am almost certain I'm wrong so why I'm responding I don't know, that Orbital Bombardments are from NPC ships, while EVE players take a certain point and can attack with a different type of "bombardment".

Again, could be completely wrong and probably am.

If you are in a battle in lowsec and you get approval for an orbital strike you can call in either a precision strike from the NPC warbarge, or request an orbital bombardment from an affiliated EVE player in orbit. The Orbital bombardment is much larger, but requires the eve person to lock on, load the right ammo, and press butan.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

KandaKo posted:

I've applied as Avery Shepard.

Samahiel posted:

How to join
First off, the entry requirements have changed. We are only accepting SA members in good standing that have had an ACTIVE account for at least 3 months. So J4G shitlords can :frogout:

Get some more posts under your belt.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Daft chunK posted:

We don't have a spreadsheet of good / overpowered load outs yet do we? Currently running around with starter poo poo generally having a swell time :v:

I've got two teams of "Top Men" working on it. If they don't stop arguing and have something for me in a few days I'm going to throw a knife and a gun with a single shot in the room and lock the door.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Some of you might be interested in my second article!

I swear, advertising here won't become a habit.

http://themittani.com/news/dust-514-eve-culture-shock-and-grief-university

Excellent article, keep them coming, would read again, A++.

Also, now that I finally the Education Ministry churning out a revised skill plan and fittings They're changing skills. :argh:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Polo-Rican posted:

Is there a good wiki online somewhere? I want to increase my PG and can't figure out how. Spent 10 minutes digging through skill trees and 10 minutes digging through the market and couldn't find anything.

You can increase your PG/CPU by raising Dropsuit Core Upgrades; it gives a +1% per skill level to both. Getting Dropsuit Core Upgrades to level 1 unlocks Dropsuit Electronics and Dropsuit Engineering which give a +5% increase to CPU and Power Grid respectively. The higher tier suits also have more base PG/CPU and receive more of a boost from these skills. Also The standard version of any weapon/module has much lower fitting requirements than, the militia variant.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Exioce posted:

If it's that then I have less issue with it, except that in EVE you can set different access permissions for different alliance members and the same should be the case with Dust. Corps don't have access to each others hangars or even stations unless someone consciously flicks a switch. My impression that anyone at all could just hop in was mistaken then, but the system still needs work.

You have to be a member of the corporation involved in the battle. The trick comes from that a squad leader pulls in his entire squad who could be from where ever. So if you're willing to burn an intelligence asset over the battle you can change a fight from 16v16 to 10v6v16. The intelligent solution is to do basic vetting of your membership, and have a holding corp. The holding corp attacks the district, or holds the district that is attacked. Alts in the holding corp then form squads and pull people into battle from the main corp. This means that unless the spy gets into the holding corp's membership, or there are multiple trusted spies, damage is limited.

This is a perfectly acceptable solution and all CCP needs to do is point and laugh at people who don't take a few basic precautions.

edit: grammar

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 16:42 on May 20, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Updated the OP.

Samahiel posted:

How to join

1. Connect your PSN account to Dust 514 Here. Signing up this way gets you a couple of free items.
2. Download Dust 514 from the PlayStation network store to your PS3.
3. Apply to the in-game corporation "Goonfeet" in-game. :siren:FEET! No L you god drat sons of bitches!:siren: If you keep timing out, add "CEO Mark Zuckerberg" to your contacts list and apply that way.
4. Post in this thread with your character name and one of the directors will hit accept on the application.
5. Once accepted into the corp, join the in-game channel dust.CFC

Don’t forget to get into our IRC channel at irc.synirc.net #ImmobileInfantry where we answer questions and coordinate squads and events.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Reminalt posted:

Too bad nobody is allowed to participate in the fight.

vvvvvvvvv Space politics prevent us from fighting. Someone who knows more than I do would have to tell you why.

Okay, Here is the deal. EoN is a friend of our friends. They jumped the gun in attacking us. Our mutual friends were worried that fighting too much in system and weakening defenders clone counts would leave districts vulnerable to invasion by people none of us like. So no one is going to join the battle Thursday, and they're going to take a loss on the clones they committed. We are in talks about them attacking on the next window when we're not worried about clone counts dipping to low so we can have a friendly sparring match. We've also discussed arranging friendly matches with them in the future. I'm sorry our politics got in the way of your William Travis cosplay, but we'll find you a real enemy to fight I swear.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 14:51 on May 22, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

SpookyLizard posted:

You can still do old fashioned Corp battles, no? Wouldn't a Corp battle with minimal purse be an ideal way for that sparring?

EDDIE__DINGLE posted:

The previous corp battle mechanic is now essentially the merc tab/faction warfare now. The bonus to this change is that it doesn't require a director to start it anymore. If your able to coordinate 15 other goons / or 31 if you wanted to scrimmage one another you can qsync into the same match.

It's just a pain, because those battles are intermittent and fill up fast. Really this was a case of both sides gearing up for a fight, and then having to ratchet it back and save face when we found out we were on the same side.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 16:57 on May 22, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Lassitude posted:

Considering we don't recruit based on performance it's probably a good thing we make friends with people who do.

Considering that I intend to never have a fair fight that doesn't involve eye gouging, groin kicks, and knives in kidneys when the fight matters it's probably best that we don't fight friends.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Moronic Farce posted:

Hey guys New Eden's logi sweetheart Farce here to add to the growing list of Feet members who are singing the praises of swarm launchers.

I thought AV wasn't my thing and never bothered to make a non free starter fit with a launcher, well that all changed today friends when I got refunded some SP from my logi suits and gave them a go. These things are great when you have the high ground, raining destruction on buildings and vehicles alike. So remember the next time your team's blues are unable to take a turret or some red plays bully with his tank, Swarm Launchers for you me and for America!

This ad was paid for by the swarm launcher council.

I love swarm launchers so much I'm thinking of respecing into Forge Guns too. Nothing but death to tanks :black101:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Is there a guide or visual guide or anything that describes how the district screen works? The colors are the corporations, the dots are clones but I don't really get the ring that pops up which I think represents a clock? I swear I saw a number that was like 27:38 which isn't an actual time, so I don't really get it. Plus seeing how corporations stock up clones and such would help me understand how that whole thing works. I know you schedule a time for the actual fight and there's also a block of time set to allocate clones or something?
The original Dev Blog http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/03/planetary-conquest/
An Update with revised numbers http://dust514.com/news/blog/2013/04/an-update-dev-blog-for-planetary-conquest/
The Official WIKI http://wiki.eveonline.com/en/wiki/Planetary_Conquest

Uba Stij posted:

I know this sounds silly, but do we really have reason to believe Ill Omens will actually honor that agreement?
The deal was hashed out over skype with their leadership and me at the request of Kane. If they break it we go back to figuring out how to knife fight them over land we don't care about and bitch at the imps over it.

anglachel posted:

So I'm sitting on 6 million SP cause I STILL haven't spent any of it.

What should I be speccing in? Did we ever get the new guide up?
We just need to put it into readable form. I was kind of stalling till I had a time frame of when the wiki was going up. But since the dropsuit skill change is behind us I'll try to get something done before the weekend.

e: Multiquote

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 22:09 on May 23, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

God drat Quote is not Edit.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

IronSaber posted:

So does Goonfleet even care about Planetary Conquest? I haven't really seen a reaction to its bonuses/rewards EVE-side.

No. It's POS bonuses are poo poo, and even if they weren't it would only matter if they were in a region that wasn't at the rear end end of nowhere. Even from a fight generating standpoint it's to far from any fleet staging point to be worth leaving the glorious thunderdome that is post HBC delve.

as an isk generation source Districts produce an average of 8m per day. Even if you could move that from dust to eve owning a small planet would only produce 1.2trillion per month if it were never attacked.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 22:16 on May 23, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

IronSaber posted:

Would the POS bonuses need to be increased in order for Goonfleet to give a care?

I ask only because I dunno how it all goes in EVE.

The easiest way to make them care is to have it be in a region closer to one of our major staging points. Ideally close to Deklein or the Jump Bridge network itself.

Even so, aside from a few POSes for peoples private alt corps it would be a curiousity and source of good fights only. It will hold no strategic importance to us until it effects Null Sec space.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: New Newbie Skill Plan :siren:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

All I got from the last 30 posts I didn't read was that I need to add this to the OP. so Done.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Totally didn't get to play at all this weekend, hoping I can get in on some action this week.

Also, I think posted about this earlier in the thread but I can't find my post now, what effect do the Faction battles on Dust and Eve?

Faction warfare battles take place in Faction warfare systems that have been contested recently. The outcome of the ground battle determines which faction has district control which gives a +/-% to how hard it is for them to flip the systems ownership. If you want specific numbers I'll have to get back to you.

Districts captured in planetary conquest that have the Surface Research Lab or Cargo Hub upgrades give a cumulative system wide buff to pos fuel consumption or manufacturing time respectively.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Present posted:

I have two very solid ideas on how to improve our PC game after watching https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs1IJov0Jqw but I think I'll hold on to them until we get our own forums. They're still coming right?

SOON™

Uba Stij posted:

He has no trademark! Burn the heretic.

But in all seriousness do we have any sort of timeline or is it still "whenever solo isn't waist deep in breaking GoonFleet.com"?

Skype Leak:
[08:42:06] Samahiel Sotken: Why is it easier to find linear B symbols on the drat ubuntu character map than the tiny TM symbol.
[08:42:36] Samahiel Sotken: ୭ I refuse to believe that's a useful character
[08:43:29] Samahiel Sotken: ൌ that's apparently a Malayalam vowel sign that is an archaic form of the /au/ dependent vowel.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 15:06 on May 29, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Arcaeris posted:

When do you get out of "Academy" matches? I don't feel like I'm good enough to play with goons and I have no voice chat yet, but I don't want to play Ambush anymore.

Play with goons. We're all terrible and being alone sucks.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Updated Scout plan, added to OP

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

BrainBot posted:

I applied as Miclea Vherson

Samahiel posted:

How to join

Post More: To clarify, your post history looks alright, you don't seem to be a J4G, but Jesus you post less than I do and I'm a terrible lurker. Time wise you're good; go be a more productive member of the forums.

Gramatik posted:

Normally I have pretty decent aim in shooters, however, I've tried with both DS3 and Mouse/Keyboard and I am absolutely abysmal at this drat game. I've been experimenting with different roles the past couple of days and ended up deleting the first character I made. I've since applied with my new character, Grambags. So if someone could accept me into the corp it'd be much appreciated.

Also, I was wondering what the rule is with alts, because I've been thinking about making a scout and would like to be able to put him in the corp as well.

Butan Pushed on your application. Rules for alts are just tell us who they are so we can note them on the spreadsheet.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 1, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

God DAMNIT :ccp: I want to shoot mans, or blow poo poo up in space. Fix your servers.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

I'd prefer jabber since I'm uptight about OPsec poo poo on IRC etc. but if you PM me on IRC we can chat. Jabber is also easy to use at my work computer as it looks like i'm IM'ng the other guys on my team.

Edit - actually you can just PM me and we could make our own IRC channel if we need to I guess, I'm pretty dumb with IRC stuff to be quite honest.

Use the god drat IRC. That's what it's for. We're not running that many OPsec risks that we need to worry about spies finding our super secret goon only server.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

The one from a while ago? It's up but its associated with the AAR and I haven't been told to make it either public yet by anyone higher up the foodchain.

Post it. Post everything. NEVER. STOP. POSTING.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

imperialparadox posted:

Personally I wonder how it will affect things if they integrate the markets. I'm assuming earning ISK in Eve is quicker than earning ISK in Dust, but I only play Dust casually so I could be mistaken. My main thought is that it wouldn't affect Eve that must, but if an Eve player transferred ISK straight up to a DUST player, couldn't that keep them in the best dropsuits and gear for ages?

Seems a bit tricky since it would be an artificial integration of economies.

There is a lot more EVE isk and it's easier to accumulate, but there is much more to spend it on. Dust has a much higher volume of turnover but only has two uses. It's really hard to peg an exchange rate for the two right now, and as the dust items are all NPC seeded at fixed costs there's not a lot of flexibility to the Dust economy.

For comparison an average eve player usually floats between half a billion to a few billion in liquid assets at a time. With a lot of value stored up in modules, ships, random crap; a well to do eve player can have a net worth in the tens to hundreds of billions; and an rich industrialist can have liquid isk in the trillions as well as BPOs, Ships, and mineral reserves.

Edit: I am currently very poor from lack of playing. I have 300m liquid Isk, but I still have about a half dozen battlecruisers/battleships fully fit, a bunch of random crap like stealth bombers, cov ops, frigates/assault frigates/daredevils, PI P2s, BPOs/BPCs, and minerals just laying around.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 20:21 on Jun 3, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

spazzhole posted:

Maybe in the channel you're in :colbert:

Yeah, the others are about gay porn & Blue Donuts.

:siren:Director Skype Leak:siren:
[14:42:15] Soarer: "drat it, why isn't our corp themed after the Goa'uld or something?"
God drat it why ISN'T it?
[14:42:22] Sammus 420: hahahahahahaha
[14:42:30] Sammus 420: i saw that post
[14:43:08] Dexter Peabody: i have no idea what that poo poo is
[14:43:16] Dexter Peabody: gently caress science fiction
[14:43:18] Sammus 420: if we ever RP, there is no reason why we can't RP Goa'uld slavers or something
[14:43:41] Samahiel Sotken: why what?
[14:43:46] Samahiel Sotken: no
[14:43:54] Sammus 420: im not saying we're ever going to RP
[14:43:55] Samahiel Sotken: no Gay erotic stargate slashfiction RP.
[14:43:59] Sammus 420: awww
[14:44:16] Soarer: what about straight erotic stargate slashfiction RP?
[14:44:22] Sammus 420: I know some members of the corp who would be very dissapointed to hear that
[14:44:30] Samahiel Sotken: Stargate was poo poo too, and Sci-Fi should never have cancelled Farscape.

Samahiel fucked around with this message at 20:45 on Jun 3, 2013

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

Didn't you know Stargate just became Farscape at the end?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8ivnFZiGNM

If the Jim Henson Company didn't do the alien's I don't want to hear about it.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Uba Stij posted:

I wouldn't know anything about that since I don't watch bad shows that get cancelled*.

Hey, Firefly is not on trial here.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

There is no market, to have a market we'd have to be able to exchange goods. Right now the best you can do is transfer isk through escrow corps for services, and there's really no services worth the effort.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Lutha Mahtin posted:

Not even "Awox for hire"? :v:

It exists it's just rather informal or uses a character donating to a escrow corp.

orphean posted:

Thanks for letting me join. What's the best way to play with goons, just ask in Corp chat for a squad invite?

Yes, if there aren't a lot of people about you can also ask around on the IRC if anyone's about to log in or will be logging in at a later time.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

:siren: New Heavy Skill Plan Added to OP :siren:

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Pirate of Penzance posted:

Hmm.... interesting thought. The question would then become how prevalent would WP farming for votes become. In the end any system that uses in games metrics will try to gamed to a certain extent.

I can't think of many actions that generate WP outside of Drop Uplinks in the MCC that don't qualify as playing the game. And it's not like you get more votes on an account for having more WP. Someone creating multiple PSNs and playing them all enough to garner enough points to get multiple votes isn't much different from someone plexing multiple accounts for a couple months to get multiple EVE votes. Either way they're generating content/revenue.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

Kabuki Shipoopi posted:

I found out that flaylocks can be equipped as a main weapon as well as a secondary (on scout suits at least) and that its not as fun as I thought as it would be.

Sure you get six shots, but you spend the same amount of time reloading two guns.

Also there needs to be a hybrid of :downs: + :science: because sometimes ideas are stupid.

I had this exact same arc of realizations the other day, I went from giddy to disappointed very quickly. I want to dual wield core flaylocks like enforcers from Unreal Tournament.

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

spazzhole posted:

PC doesn't do anything except act as something to fight over, and it provides no member-line incentive. If you could send your dudes down to the planet and shoot wild alien deers or something, or even just hang out at the base, that would be a thing. It exists solely to passively generate ISK. The amount of timers on it is just dumb, and the fact you're forced into PC just to have the old corp battles. The bigger entities are all ringed by the same 16-20 guys so you're almost always fighting the same people. To top that off, most groups are cowards and the second they start losing poo poo they throw in the towel. They need to figure out a way to get more ISK at the line level, have a way to mildly tax that ISK.

And for the love of god CCP, add an actual corp battle system.

edit: And this is exactly what the game needs, the ability to do stuff and explore. Shooting nerds is fun, but there's an entire planet worth of cool poo poo you could be doing.

This. Do this.

Also Paradox seems to think some of you nerds want to play logi bros.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samahiel
Mar 17, 2009

spazzhole posted:

Once we're finally out of the PC bullshit we can have fun loving around in squads again. Would you guys please stop defending our districts? :smith:

Blasphemy, Fortress Hrober should stand a thousand years. If only to piss off the try hards and subdreddit with their inability to remove us.

• Locked thread