Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

victoria concordia crescit
Applied yesterday evening as Lune Solitaire in case my post was missed in the last topic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

A lot of us don't play EVE either, but it's still one big circlejerk all the same. Once you get accepted into the corp just group up with some other goons (never ever play solo) and get acclimated to how the game plays.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Servers are back online now.

The reward for playing 100 matches last month (which I somehow managed to hit) are 100 copies of the HEP Metabolic Enhancer, a low-power biotic giving a 5% boost to sprint speed and a 15% bonus to melee damage.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

MrLonghair posted:

Don't bother.

Mind elaborating? I have around 2000 AUR left over which isn't enough for anything great, but I'll still use it to try out the scrambler rifle and plasma cannon all the same.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Scrambler rifles have been very good to me so far. Definitely helps that most people love shield tanking and Caldari suits. I definitely prefer the assault scrambler rifles because they mimic the normal assault rifles and don't really have an issue with overheating. Perhaps once I get more used to the changes they made to mouse aiming I'll give the regular variants a shot because I hear a charged shot can take down most non-heavy infantry.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Will orbitals still come from NPC ships during PC battles or can we get Goonwaffe support from now on?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

PerrineClostermann posted:

Getting mad at space video games. With the poo poo that's been going on tonight, it's perhaps understandable but still not ok. Sorry about that, guys.

Just please don't drop orbitals on empty loving points...

After you left we dropped our next orbital on some blues in your honor. Unfortunately, none died.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

It's pretty pointless to go heavy right now unless you're really into the Amarr suits. At least they do have a use now with PC as sentinels, but still it's disappointing that they don't have a full complement of racial suits for heavy and light frames.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Xaerael posted:

PS3 compatible blootoof Mics can be picked up for small change now. I picked mine up for about £8 new, and Ebay is littered with them.

Alternatively, you can find even more on Amazon for less than US$10. If you're strapped for cash then that's the way to go. The quality won't be terrific, but you'll be able to communicate at the very least and that's the important thing.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Everyone needs to put points into swarm launchers. They are no longer useless even with the vehicle HP buff that just went into effect. I spend the last matches yesterday getting to my cap just spawning into skirmish, posting up on a high place, and blowing up every vehicle I saw. If I wasn't top place in my team for WP then I was never lower than 3rd place.

Here's what to do: get swarm launchers and weapon upgrades both to level 3, make a dropsuit with the CBR-7 SL (advanced), two enhanced light damage mods (use more if like), and a nanohive (a K-2 nanohive can last me all match) then go wreak havoc upon the unsuspecting enemy team. This set-up will give you a 4-round mag on your swarm launcher which is more than enough to take out the plethora of militia tanks you see around (thanks to the new merc packs) without needing to reload. Likewise, even with the HP buff LAVs will still fall to one salvo of swarms (very rarely will you need a second) and even tanks like Madrugars and Gunnlogis will run for the hills when they realize they're about to die.

Things being as they are there's almost no need for a forge gun anymore given the extremely high barrier to entry for it when swarms work just as well. I know Xaerael will back me up on this given his use of the Wyrkomi swarm launcher and how he can one-shot militia tanks with it. Seriously, just put a few points into swarm launchers and never have to worry about an enemy tank running rampant against your team again.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

In case anyone was ever wondering, it would take about 6 years to max out the currently available infantry skills with both active and passive boosters on non-stop. 9 years if you're an unboosted plebe. With the changes in the dropsuit multipliers you'll get a whopping 0.4 years knocked off your total time either way you go. This is barring any new skills added to the skill tree in the next 6-9 years.

For those of you who also want to join me in :spergin: and check my math, the current SP total required to max infantry skills is 167,274,960 which will drop to 156,081,840 once the dropsuit multipliers come into effect. My numbers are based on Eltra's calculations from the first page looking at 537k SP/wk boosted and 358k SP/wk unboosted.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

IronSaber posted:

This is assuming the skill tree remains unchanged and CCP doesn't add skill trees for stuff like fighters and more weapons. :v:

Well, I didn't include vehicle or corporation skills into those calculations, so if you want to be a vehicle master as well it'll probably take you close to double that amount of time.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Regarding weapon skills, don't put more than 3 levels into the primary operation skill until you're sure you really like the weapon. It only costs around 150,000 or so SP to get to level 3, but substantially more to go higher. You can easily make up that amount of SP in a week (or even weekend) so all is not lost. Regardless of how lovely you think your spending was, it's never worth it to make a new character after you've already spent time on your current one.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

IronSaber posted:

Not yet. Though they have been very prompt in the past with my other issues.

Check the ticket via https://dust514.com/user/help-tickets/

I submitted my ticket right after they made the forum post about requesting the respec and even though I didn't receive an email there's still a follow-up response to my ticket saying I'm in queue. I'd wager you're in the same situation.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Edit: This is probably better discussed in IRC so I'll bring it up there.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 13:59 on May 22, 2013

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

In other news, after the respec, I'm considering moving from minmatar logi to gallente logi. PG/CPU seems more useful more of the time than hacking speed and armor tanking seems alright with 5HP/s passive repair without any modules.

I know Moronic runs gallente logi. Anyone have any thoughts about the relative merits of the two?

I run Gallente logi, too and it's the way to go if you want to make the most of your PG/CPU. The bonus reduction in equipment is huge considering how equipment is the whole draw to running logi in the first place. The class will get even better with the introduction of more armor modules. Just be aware that you will feel like heavy-level slow so don't expect to get places quickly. Also, you're armor tanked meaning stay away from mass drivers mostly and you should be fine on the battlefield; you can almost shrug off scrambler rifles.

That said, I do think the hacking speed for the Minmatar is very valuable. Xaerael was talking about how he was running complex codebreakers last build and had probably a 2 second hack which would get even better with the Minmatar racial bonus. But if you're focusing on supporting the team directly I'd say you'd be better off with one of the other racial suits.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

A squad of us ran into one the other night in a Domination match. It was pretty annoying, since the driver could just tank the usual LAV-busting techniques and speed off into the redline to heal. In pubbie matches it seems to have the potential for zero-death jeepsquad action.

So I found myself with around 1 million refunded SP due to the dropsuit multiplier change and decided it would be a good idea to hit level 5 on swarms and weapon upgrades. Thus I made a proto dropsuit with Wyrkomi swarms, 2 complex damage mods and an enhanced damage mod, giving me about 2500 damage per salvo (assuming all 6 missiles hit and there's no funny business with damage efficacy).

And wouldn't you know it, first skirmish I play is on Ashland with a couple enemies in Limbus LAVs going around blowing people up. Fortunately we were on the west side so I just jumped out of the MCC onto the roof right below it and began firing away. It took me two salvos to cripple those LAVs, and a third would have finished them off. I was definitely expecting a big boom on the first hit so it looks like the standard LAVs will be a pretty big nuisance in the enemy's hands.

All the same, they stood no chance and I still blew them all up including their dumb pubbie friends who thought they could do the same in the militia LAVs. Also, with this set up I can 3-shot a Gunnlogi which is pretty good considering that swarms are only 70% effective against shields.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Omnikin posted:

I'm an idiot- what's the fifth step on the newbie skill list? Racial medium/Light of choice? I'm trying to match up the SP cost with something available for me to unlock but I can't find anything

The racial dropsuit skills just went through an SP decrease yesterday so that's probably where your dilemma is. All frame skills are now 4x instead of 6x, and all specialized skills are 8x instead of 10x. So just choose one of the Amarr/Caldari/Gallente/Minmatar medium/light skills that you like.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

Free-To-Play + Console = Kids thinking this will be like CoD/Battlefield that they will never have to pay for. It's also the culture shock, this is something most of them aren't used to whatsoever and it is a completely foreign concept. They also have this crazed sense of "honor" that has been ingrained into them by most western FPS games, its the main underlying theme in most of the shooters you see made in the USA.

A lot of it lies in that every other FPS out there has clans and such in it, but when clan battles are organized all they can play for is their e-honor and kdr. There's nothing tangible to be had from those fights unlike in Dust where there something more to be had from winning these battles. To that extent is how Dust is so vastly different from any other FPS out there because historically you're just the grunt sent into some one-off battle without any reason. Most people can't change their mindset to put themselves in the shoes of their merc where you're not just a soldier of the US or Russia, you have no allegiance except to your corporation and every time you go into battle you're fighting over resources and money. Those battles have consequences and just like in real life you want to do everything in your power to make sure you succeed whether that's spying on the enemy or bringing in your own hired guns to fight for you. So many players transitioning into Dust are stuck in the mindset that you're simply the hired gun, out there following orders in some war that will never end and has no clear objective when that simply isn't the case. You're the one (or more specifically your CEO is) making decisions to influence a war that, while it may never end, does have objectives along the way. There's more to it than just shooting space mans, and for all the poo poo we give people for taking things too seriously, you really have to role play a bit to get the most out of the game.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Sammus posted:

I'm slightly colorblind, and it's never been a problem for me.

Your penchant for teamkilling suddenly makes sense now.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Uba Stij posted:

Those damned Grief University guys put out a video showing off their AWOXing of BetaMax. How'd we not get to be the first group to do this? :argh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ubei7vYh-Yw

I'm not sure which is worse, the fact that Betamax let themselves get awoxed twice, or the fact that Red Star still couldn't pull off a victory despite Betamax getting awoxed during battle.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I run Gallente logi so here are my thoughts on getting set up:

I don't run uplinks at all, I think they're a waste of an equipment slot unless you have access to a supply depot where you can switch to a suit with a nanohive/injector/repair tool combo. Don't get me wrong, uplinks are useful, but they're highly situational and in my opinion better left with scouts who can get to objectives quickly and without being noticed.

The most important thing to do with your skill points is get nanocircuitry and repairing to level 3 asap so you can used advanced equipment. Fortunately nanocircuitry covers both injectors and hives so you don't have to level them separately.

If you're not too keen on assault rifles I would suggest the assault scrambler rifles (although regular scrambler rifles can work just fine since you should try to keep back from the action anyway) as they provide automatic fire but with the added effect of being more useful against the shield-tanked suits you tend to find around.

Active scanners are good, however I think they're more useful for corp battles than elsewhere as you don't get any points for spotting enemies with them who are subsequently killed. For the time being if you don't care too much about your WP you could swap them in place of your nanite injectors since injectors are mostly broken and most stupid pubbies tend to respawn before you can get close enough to pick them up.

If you run Gallente at all then don't put any points into shield skills. Put it all into armor skills. Picking the Gallente variant of logi was a no-brainer for me since the logistics bonus is to your armor repair and the Gallente bonus is in reduced PG/CPU usage from equipment modules. If you're going to be in the thick of things and likely hacking a lot of stuff then it's probably better to run Minmatar.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

PhilippAchtel posted:

I agree with most of what Lune is saying here.

I don't think uplinks are something you want to run with all the time. And in fact, if my squad is throwing lots of uplinks down, I might not bring out my uplink suit again after the initial push. But the fact is that scouts are rare, and in any case most players with one equipment slot run with injectors or nanohives.

Uplinks don't require you to keep them in your inventory to get their effect. Throw down your uplinks, and switch out the first chance you get. If they are the good ones with 20 or more spawns, and they are hidden well enough, they may last you all match. If not, switch back, throw down some more, and switch back. It doesn't hurt that I'm a dropship pilot and can throw them on top of tall buildings.

And Lune has used my uplinks many times. :colbert:

How else am I supposed to get up on all those tall buildings? Jump? :smugbert:

I just want to get away from the correlation that drop uplinks should be used primarily by logis when they're likely better off in the hands of a scout. That's kind of what I was getting to, but didn't finish the thought. When starting out on skirmish you can put together a scout dropsuit (like the Dragonfly so you don't have to worry so much about ISK if you die) with an uplink so you can get near one of the objectives, throw an uplink in case it gets hacked later and then go about your business. In that case if you're not primarily a scout then you can find the nearest supply depot to go back to your primary fit and hopefully by then your backup should have arrived.

And right now I'd go as far as to say that non-logi classes shouldn't even bother carrying around nanite injectors given how broken they are. You'd be more useful to the team by carrying nanohives (an especially ones that can rep armor) than try stabbing someone who died in midair only to end up dying yourself because you were occupied. That doesn't mean you can't do whatever I've advised against, but I feel there are better ways to be effective as the game currently stands.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

If heavies are an issue in PC right now then we'll need people to spec into mass drivers and flux grenades. A single flux grenade followed by a couple MD rounds will take care of them quick.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Feenix posted:

Do I have any options of I wanted to respec or reskill my dude?

Optional skill point respec:
Due to upcoming changes to the Skill Tree progression system we will be offering players an one time option to send a petition to our customer support staff via http://dust514.com/community/support/ and request a character skill point respec. This offer will be available once changes to the Skill Tree progression system is deployed to the Tranquility server and we will keep you posted on the date of that deployment. To obtain a skill respec, you will need to send a ticket to our customer support staff via the official DUST 514 website at http://dust514.com/community/support/ or send an e-mail to support@dust514.com, specifically requesting a skill reset. When doing so please title your request "Skill Respec".

Taken from: https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&t=77103

After this, however, you'll likely be stuck with what skills you put SP into because CCP will probably be more careful with how they implement new skills in the future.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Static Rook posted:

^^^The public instant battles are a horrible way to gauge the game. If one team has even 3 or 4 competent people that work together they can win easily. That said, those fights are mainly for building up your own guy and not so much winning. ^^^

Is there a way to join other GF people in the same battle? I see dudes in the Corp chat but don't know how to join in a game with them. I don't have a headset, but I'm pretty sure I've got voice enabled on all my channels except Local (oh god, it's horrible).

Right now I'm basically jumping into the Instant Battles and running around the edges of the maps in some free "Skinweave" light suit I got somehow. I'll randomly snipe or hack for some WP, but I don't actually fight that much. I'm just trying to learn the maps and watch how people play them. If it's a close match, or near the end, then I'll use a couple of my Heavy fittings to mix it up and work on my Forge Gun skills, but being a non-HMG Heavy in a public match isn't that worthwhile. I still end up with 3-4000 SP and 120K or so after each match. That's without doing much and ending up in the bottom-middle of the pack. No boosters, either.

So if my thinking is right, if I play 10 matches in a day I'll get the 40,000 SP or so from those, plus the 24K passive? So 64,000 SP per day until I hit the weekly cap? That's not too horrible, I guess. I'll probably pick up a couple Boosters just to make it go a little quicker since those Forge skills are expensive. So, if I wanted to throw away $20 REAL MONEY on Dust, what would be my best option? Just buy AUR, or get the Merc Pack since it comes with Boosters and AUR and a bunch of stuff I'll probably never use?

Since you have access to corp chat just hit square and type in "LFS" (looking for squad) and if a squad is open then you'll get an invite. You may have to wait a few minutes because most squads won't see chat until after they finish a battle and you can end up in a cycle of missing the other if you get impatient. That being said, don't wait forever because if a squad is full they typically won't say so meaning you should just hop into battle.

And as Sammus said, if you're going to spend any money on the game, get the merc pack (the elite pack is also good, but not for you if you only want to spend :20bux:). The great thing about the merc pack is that you'll get two BPOs that you'll get a lot of mileage out of: the Toxin Assault Rifle and the Dragonfly Assault dropsuit. The Skinweave dropsuit is militia grade and therefore a piece of poo poo, however the Dragonfly dropsuit is standard quality (correct me if I'm wrong) and as such does not suffer the slot/PG/CPU/EHP deficiencies militia gear has. Also, the Toxin AR is also standard quality (the equivalent of the Exile ARs you'll see often). Having those will save you a ton of ISK starting out until you get your bearings and can comfortably run better gear without dying 10+ times a battle.

Also, if you just want to get SP without putting effort into actually playing, you can join skirmish and spawn into the MCC then sit idle for the entirety of the match. As it stands you gain SP based on the time spent in battle and how many war points (WP) you earned. By that logic you can run up to the frontlines, throw down a drop uplink or hack some stuff then run back to your spawn area and go do something else around the house til the battle ends and get close to the same amount of SP and ISK as someone who spent the match trying to fight yet died over and over. This may not be the best course of action if you're still uncomfortable with the controls.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

rodbeard posted:

Are we keeping tabs on who are going heavy vs logi with their respecs? I don't want to dogpile on what everyone else is going.

I would also like to know if we're doing this because it would be extremely useful when organizing more serious PC fights and to encourage other players to pick other roles. Is there interest in making a roster now or are we waiting til we have a website? I would like to volunteer for creating and maintaining a roster if such a thing does not exist yet.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Exioce posted:

Ok, so yesterday I respecced my vehicle alt and this evening I respec my main. I've been thinking about our need for Heavy's and our over-reliance on Assaults. Someone convince me that a loner, run-around type such as myself would actually prefer a slowpoke with a short-range HMG. At the end of the day all I truly care about is killing lots of mans and seeing my name up topside at the end of the match. Will Heavy get me there more often than an Assault with an AR? I guess my greatest fear is being continuously outmatched/ranged/flanked by Duvolle toting Assaults.

You won't get outmatched by tryhards with proto assault rifles if you 1) don't try to run across an open field in your fatsuit and 2) stick with a logi or two. Seriously, if you run into enemies in close quarters now you'll almost always come out on top (unless you're horribly outnumbered).

I would've liked to have gone heavy this build I just wasn't crazy about the Amarr variant being the only one they made available. I hope they make an exception to their "this is our last respec*" policy when they finally release the last of the racial variants because it was really dumb to only give you one option for heavy and two for scout when they made a big deal of showing off all the art and such for each at fanfest.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

I'd like to play heavy again, I just don't want to be an Amarr heavy. I hope they do something like offer a respec when they finally release the other racial variants, but in order to keep people from abusing it transfer any SP put into light/medium frames over to heavy frames so you can't just completely redo your character because tac ARs end up nerfed and you want something different. Anyway, we still need more heavies out there because we have too many logis acting as assault and not having a strong need to be a logi.

edit: watching Aurra's video it looks like HMGs are way more powerful than they used to be. Either that or the hit detection isn't as buggy as it used to be on the enemies there. Now I really want to be a heavy again.

Shoren fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 31, 2013

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

S-Alpha posted:

I hope you guys weren't looking forward to the Templar Manhunt, because CCP buggered it up in their trademark fashion.

Kind of a shame, I was looking forward to getting some of those pretty little heavies. :smith:

I thought trademark CCP fashion would be them running the script late and then when it finally goes everyone becomes a Templar.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Dr. Glasscock posted:

Would be reasonable to be able to choose which of the 3 gets the passive upgrades. Ah well.

Rejoice because this is a thing. If you have multiple characters just choose one that doesn't have the passive SP active and select "Activate Passive SP" instead of actually choosing to use it.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Omnikin posted:

Is the Logi plan getting released soon? I'm on the last two skills of the newbie guide and have a ton of free time this weekend. At the very least what are the first couple of skills I should be shooting for?

You'll want to get nanocircuitry and repair tool to at least level 3 as those will be your bread and butter as a logi. After that, just go with what Lutha said and upgrade your core skills more (if you're Gallente put more SP in armor skills, and if you're Caldari go with shield skills, etc).

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

How'd the corp battles go?

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

CCP screwed something up last night. I was playing this morning right around when the corp matches were going on and after trying to join my 2nd battle since logging on I ended up on an infinite loading screen. Then just now after my first match ended my merc quarters were loading up when I notice "DISCONNECTED" under the loading circle and then I get booted back to the server screen. Back at the beginning now and it's telling me that the server is full (at 4495 people logged on no less) and that I need to wait. When I finally am able to choose my character I end up at another loading screen.

I would gladly take stable servers over their silly events that require them to screw around with things during downtime with only hopes and prayers that they'll work when turned back on.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

https://forums.dust514.com/default.aspx?g=posts&m=900971

What a loving joke. Not only could I not play more than a handful of matches during this entire event thanks to the endless server and client issues going on, but there were no Templars to be found in the first place. I'm starting to truly understand what people mean when they just sort of sigh at the mention of CCP.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Fuzzyjello posted:

We'll get there but it has been too much fun destroying the KDRs of try hard players. I think Caeros got 268 kills last nite just on one guy. Needle fuckery at its finest. Hopefully we can score more than 16 OBs in one battle.

We're also now being accused of stat padding because of this :lol:

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Present posted:

So the new TAR is essentially a scrambler pistol with a larger clip, longer range and a scope attachment now. It still has a place on Manus Peak and that bridge map, but I really wouldn't load it up anywhere else.

Not having played with the GEK since Uprising came out, I finally tried a fit with it last night and was very pleasantly surprised at how quickly it murders the poo poo out of people. Something else I forgot is just how quickly it chews through ammo.

They finally nerfed the tac AR? Hallelujah! Now they just need to get their poo poo together with their servers and I'll be playing more often.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

DeathSandwich posted:

I'm in game as DeathSandwich Lowfat, I'll apply to GoonFeet before too long.

I do have some questions though. Are the purchasable mercenary/veteran/elite packs at all worthwhile? If I buy the Veteran pack, is the Covenant dropsuit/sniper and hk4m shotgun blueprinted so I can always have them, or are they time/death limited? When is a good point to ease up on spending ISK on skill books and starting to buy stuff to make my own kits?

Use this to figure out which items are permanent and not: http://dust514.com/game/add-ons/

For your average player the Mercenary pack is more useful than the Veteran if you're just looking at the blueprints you get. The Merc pack has an assault dropsuit and an assault rifle which will probably be the most used items you can get. Although if you have the cash you'll definitely get the most out of the Elite pack.

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

You know, it's not our fault CCP decided to make English the official language instead of Icelandic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shoren
Apr 6, 2011

Lutha Mahtin posted:

I enjoyed the Blue Dots match. Props to all the guys I was with in the fatty wannabe-TF2 squad.

Although we had fuckall to do until the last 30 seconds of the match.

• Locked thread