Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Just gonna let you know, the Slime Isle is a real thing. You may have encountered Slime Queen before, and that's the Slime Island. I'm going off of memory here so I'm not 100% of all the encounters, but I'm sure there's a Slime Queen there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
There are two stories I've heard. I'm not sure which one is correct:

1) The Iwa Kiri Maru is supposed to be weakened after cutting the rocks.

2) The weakened Iwa Kiri Maru was a previous version of the sword, and the coding at that point wasn't updated.

Both don't explain why you can pick up multiples of the Iwa Kiri Maru before cutting the rocks (I forget if you can do that afterward).

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I do want to point out that there was a previous game to this. Romancing Walker is a sequel to this game, though I've forgotten the title. Flare is the main character in this game, and does not have the Dragon Gene until later on. I'm not sure how much of this game you want spoiled, but there ya go. There's actually a game on Rm2k maker for this, though not translated in English and NOT on any PC variants.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Apparently the previous game was called Sacred Dragoon, but there's not a lot of info out there that I can find with a simple Googling.

I did a really big search for it back when I first found out, and I found some interesting things about it, though I don't know if that information has expanded any further since I did that way back.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Haha, holy poo poo, seriously? Now I'm kinda curious what it contains but also frightened because of possible :japan: overdose.

Again, I'm really baffled by how much :eng101: you guys bring into this thread about an old and silly Anime game made with the RPG maker. Never would have expected that!

I would've said more, but there's spoilers and I can't PM. One thing I will say, after playing through some of it (via proxy) and watching another person play the rest I didn't play, there's WAY less anime tropism in that game than this one.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Ben Kasack posted:

This just made me think: Do Clare and Latyss also don game faces if they are in this party? Just wondering. I suspect the answer is yes, but it would be odd if they didn't.

They do, but I'm sure you'll see them later on in the LP so I won't post them yet.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Polsy posted:

Yeah, I can't find anything at all (at least, on Google) about the previous game, beyond a single page which names that as the previous game. Even then I would've assumed that was just someone misinterpreting the backstory as the premise of a previous game if nobody had posted to the contrary.

So far, what I remember that isn't spoilers is this:

The game was made on the PS1 RPG Maker, and was recreated in part on PC before being completely scrapped. Flare is the main character, but wasn't playable at the beginning.

The farther we go along, the more I'll have information as spoilers become despoiled.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

The tides of the writing are really weird if you examine them. The serious parts of this game are honestly okay, and would fly in any other more serious JRPG. I have mentioned Latyss' sidestory a couple of times now, and I honestly like it. It isn't too far away, and I'll be glad when we reach it. But I just can't shake the feeling that Flare started with a serious story idea and then rubbed Anime all over it. Or the other way around. :)

I'm actually going to go into this in more detail later one once a few more characters and story are revealed. But while I may not have talked with Flare, I have a pretty good idea about why RW was made the way it was, based on what I played and saw from SD.

Tin Tim posted:

One thing that's kinda weird about this weapon, is that I'm fairly sure that it also affects Ryle's skills. Like, you'd expect it to only work with his default attack, but I had an uncanny amount of misses when using skills while wielding the sword. Could be my personal perception, but nothing is impossible with this game.

In RPG Maker, IIRC, some skills use the weapon accuracy, some use a set accuracy. I don't have the game on my main computer anymore so I can't check.

Tin Tim posted:

I appreciate that! Just drop the :science: on us when you believe that it's safe to do so.

You betcha.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Ah, yes, :science: time. Well, very limited amounts anyways. I typed up a big part of it and had to delete it because it contained spoilers I didn't realize were spoilers at the time.

Anyways, Rune Disaster's name is less of a name and more of a title. The word pun of Rune is indeed Ruin, because it was thought that this sword contained a demonic power and would destroy the world. The title-giver, and more backstory on this sword requires quite a bit more story, as we won't encounter the persons involved for over fifteen updates or so.

Something like "ぢざーすた Rune," IIRC.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
You're probably right, Polsy. I was trying to remember and though the word Ruin was in English for some reason. Also, failure to use Katakana when attempting to spell out Disaster.

Hence the IIRC.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Ah yes, the upcoming chapter. It's going to be awesome, as it's one of my favorite parts about the game.

As was mentioned in the update, Flare refused the title because she lost a few of her loved ones. That's not entirely accurate, but it is representative. Specifically, Flare didn't want to be recognized as a Savior of the World if she couldn't protect the ones close to her.

I hope that's being vague enough without spoiling anything yet.

---

As for El Metal...I wish there was a bit more liberty given to it. Elven Metal, for instance, would have been quite a bit better.

---

The overall lower quality of English used in the translation, IIRC, is due to rm2kfanboy not being a native English speaker? Like I mentioned, it's been a long while since I even played this series and participated in what little fanbase there was for it at that time.

Also, my vote is for Caris Burnfist. Hayami stops Physical Traps, Orubia stops Magical Traps, but nothing beats a good Hidden Crash.

Edit: <spoiler>
Now that I think about it, there's actually a reason that the game doesn't explicitly say (but implies) regarding Brad's dislike of the girls helping him. He's JEALOUS.

thenightsshadow fucked around with this message at 07:55 on Jul 1, 2013

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
There's a section where it feels like the translation just "got better", but you never know when you cross that line, which is one of the frustrating things about liking this game.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Small :science: here: That Mimic is killable by Caris' Hidden Crash, IIRC.. Hayami blocks the Physical Traps, Orubia...sorta didn't block the Magical Traps, and Caris takes care of that Mimic without a fight.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
It was the Warp Spell that made me go, "I don't really care how dumb the game is, I'm finishing this game." I like that brand of humor.

:science: time. While I can't divulge yet who Latyss' human father is, he had connections to Flare, though not in an obvious way. This will be more apparent as time goes on, so I'll come back to this point later.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Picayune posted:

I love it when games misattribute a line like this. :allears:

Actually, notice who's talking and who the line says is talking. That was my first notice of mispellings/grammar mistakes in the entire game, so I decided to start a new game and actually look for them. Kinda soured me for my first few runs.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
:science: time!

Alright, so now Fina's dad's name is revealed. Rain Delstar. He was the fourth party member you got in the game, and quite plainly, one of the insanely adaptive ones. He tended to learn new spells during battles. He would always take a spell that he knew and change some attributes about it to better fit the situation, and the popularity of that feature is what got that spread around to a lot more characters than just two in the sequel.

Rain was a "mere soldier" and got the opportunity to work with Flare on a mission early on. While Flare was definitely the main character, the game had a nice touch and put you in charge of the veterans instead. Who are those veterans? I'll cover them later.

But needless to say, over time, Rain and Flare fell in love, and got married. Well, sort of. They didn't really have a complete wedding ceremony, ever. Mahzoks attacked the only time they attempted to, and a short time later, various events occurred that kept them separate. Rain died before they could reunite, and it's partly why she suggested that she not partake in this mission.

I'll go into more details later when we get to a different part of the story, but suffice it to say this is part 1 of 4.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

Her status actually keeps her from participating in any sea battles. :barf:

I swear she got off one attack out of several hundred tries, but this could be just memory recollection failure, as the supposed success came during my first run.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
You also have to add onto the fact that rm2kfanboy touched up some areas that needed touching up and some areas that didn't. Both he and Flare are to blame.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
This castle. I completely missed it on my first run, unlocked it but couldn't find it on my second and third run, and just wandered aimlessly until I found it by accident without it unlocked on my fourth run. Of course, I was at the end game when I did unlock it, so...yeah.

The Shoko no Sho skill (T********) is invaluable for handling a later boss if you don't get a hold of the boss' gimmick.

Barrier Field is amazing and nearly game breaking later on. Resisting Ancient is ridiculous.

---

A bit more story time. Tim Tan mentioned it, but yes, Flare will be playable. Those who have played the older game will notice a few nostalgic references when you look at her equipment and spells. I'll point them out in more detail when that happens.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Oh boy, :science: time galore!

Tin Tim posted:

"Dad's older brother was the emperor of "Gaiares Empire"..Emperor Zeskar Excellize. And my aunt is his wife...Empress Catyss Delstar."

This is the best part, in my opinion, of the first game's reveals. Zeskar and Catyss are your main party members, and Flare is actually a third-string character. Rain would sometimes be the fourth wheel (actually third wheel, as Zeskar or Catyss would go on a different mission on most of the parties), but otherwise Flare was not the main character. Zeskar was in the first position, and would always be referred to as the hero of the story. As you now know, this ended up not being the case.

Tin Tim posted:

"Dad had many sickness since he was little. But the direct cause of his death was Leukemia, and he had another problem."

"Dad had "Silence Disease"."

"You mean the disease which your body get in shock or even paralyzed when you force yourself to speak?"

Worse. Rain had a bunch of issues. Among other things, Rain was born premature, his mom died giving birth to him. (Oh look, cliche!) He was sort of the outcast, and had to work to his position instead of just being granted it. However, he was an amazing fighter. He's a Magic Swordsman, which meant he not only could use some sword skills but also had spells. Every time that Flare would learn a new move, it took the influence of Rain to do so. Rain's moves, as I mentioned before, were amazingly versatile. One in particular I've always committed to memory whenever I do anything RPG-related is the moment that he and Flare were locked in a battle against a being that nullified their magic. Flare could still attack, but Rain was under the DEPRESS status condition, which not only meant he couldn't Heal but in that battle the boss started to seal all of his magic. As someone who like casting spells, Rain became DEPRESSED partway through the battle. However, he noticed that his newly learned Freeze Lancer spell wasn't being sealed, and he quickly deduced that because he had learned it so recently his opponent, who seemed to know everything about them, didn't know he had it. But he still had the anti-magic barrier on, so he quickly altered the statistics of his spell (that's how Rain describes it, seriously) and cast it to target the barrier. He then used a sword skill to destroy the barrier, allowing Flare to use her Valkyrie powers again.

And if you're wondering how he can still cast despite having Silence Disease...well, I don't know the exact answer to this question, but I presume that it's due to his sword. If that's true, then that truly explains why after it's broken, he no longer joins the party.

Tin Tim posted:

"Mom challenged CHAOS and failed miserably after she just became the Sacred Dragoon. She lost her total confidence and fell into very deep depression. She almost gave it up. And dad forced himself to talk, in order to comfort her and get her out of the slump...Even when his throat started bleeding, dad never stopped encouraging mom to fight."

The Mahzoks interrupted her wedding. She transforms into the Sacred Dragoon short after. Who else would she go after but CHAOS? Reckless girl.

Tin Tim posted:

As a word of warning, the following sequence is very :japan:

"You mean right after she became the Sacred Dragoon?"

"Because releasing her full power was too dangerous. It could destroy the entire world. So mom had to go to other dimension where she could fight CHAOS with everything she got."

"That STRONG!? You gotta be kiddin me..."

"The final battle between mom and CHAOS took place in the Astral Realm...The place where Mahzoks originally came from."

:ohdear:

"Hm! DRACONIC BUSTER-! Let's GO!....OMEGAAA WAVE-!!"

Lag prevented me from turning this into a gif, sorry!

She basically shoots a big energy ball at CHAOS.

"!? Huh!?"

"HA! Your power as Saint Dragoon is pathetic! You are no match for me with the immature Dragon Gene which you just got from Sentinel!!"

It's pretty weird that CHAOS does not have a face icon, with being the main evil in this game and all. Also, take note of the name "Sentinel". It's another figure from Flare's past, and apparently gave her the Dragoon powers, or something. I'm not actually sure if the game ever touches upon that again, but thenightsshadow can probably educate us if it doesn't come up again.

"It can't be! My OMEGA WAVE is the ultimate magic and the full blast can even destroy a planet!!"

"It's no use!! No matter how powerful the attack, my DIMENSIONAL BARRIER simply warp the energy into other time and space! Nothing in this world can touch me or even harm me!! HooWaHahaha!!"

"I can't! As long as that barrier is around, my attacks will be bounced off to somewhere else..."

"!?"

"Why...are...you......So.... *cough! cough!* weak...hearted....."

"The voice!? Rain!? Is that you speaking? But you can't talk!! Not only that, I am in another dimension. There's no way Rain's voice can reach here..."

"Never...give up!! Flare I know..wouldn't give up hope! She's...that kind of...girl!"

"That's..who you are....and...what you really are! FLARE DELSTAR!!"

"But...I can't think of any ways to defeat CHAOS."

"But you're still alive!! You can continue on fighting as long as you live, and you shall win!!"

"I have faith in Flare!! I believe you can...defeat CHAOS!! I just know it for sure!!!"

"Rain..."

"You must win and come back to...ME!"

"Yes I will Rain!! I'll use all I got to destroy CHAOS!!"

The power of love..it's so moving :qq:

"You little girl just never give up!! DIE! Saint Dragoon!!"

"CHAOS' power is rising rapidly!!!"

"DIE! FLARE!! OMEGAAA CLUSTER-!!!"

CHAOS just nukes the poo poo out of everything :supaburn:

"........!? What!?"

".....TELEPORT! I did it! The blast of OMEGA CLUSTER has been warped off!!"

Yay for plot devices! :woop:

"You were able to warp the massive energy of my OMEGA CLUSTER into thin AIR!!!?"

"Even I can do DIMENSIONAL BARRIER you know!"

"(However, is there any way I can penetrate CHAOS' barrier?)"

"(!!Penetrating different time and space?..There IS! I know only 1 way!! Atom particles!! They are even smaller than the magical energy! Spell barriers can't deflect them! If I can use these atom particles as projectiles with enough power to damage CHAOS thru the barrier!)"

And here we have it, the ultimate Macguffin in the game - atom particles powered by magic or something. Weird but canon :psyduck:

"I'll give everything I got on...this ONE shot! Listen to my prayer. The source of all the energy in this universe, grant me the power!!"

Bam! Super Saiyajin out of nowhere...

"What is THIS!? A harmonic wave!? I feel the whole space around Flare is being pulled into her!!"

"C...O...S...M...OS...ETERNAL-!!"

The animation is the same as before, except that is has four balls of energy.

"Impossible!! HOW can she penetrate my barrier!!?"

"No more DIMENSIONAL BARRIER."

"WHAT!?"

"My COSMOS ETERNAL is made of atom particles, the smallest unit of all things. It even penetrates your warp magic so you can't block with barrier."

"Atoms...! How can a weakling human like you can come up with such a power!?"

"Because I am a human."

"Just because you being a human!?"

"One human is weak indeed. That's why we humans help and support each other to live. I wasn't fighting alone. My loved ones, friends, any many other people...Because I got someone who gives me love and courage, I was able to sum up all their powers into one."

:wrongful:

"That's impossible! You are now standing at the other dimension! Nobody can possibly lend you any power!!"

"People's heart...can reach any place, even to the different world..."

No idea why she stopped glowing all of a sudden? But...

...CHAOS is hosed :sotw:

Probably?

"Rain...I finally did it! I...defeated CHAOS!!!"

"Flare..."

Flare wanted to do this scene justice. She messed up this scene so badly that this was the most buggy part of the entire game. It kinda sucked, and I never got to check the actual files to find out why. (Then again, this was not only the PS RPGMaker but I didn't know anything about programming RPG Maker. Most of what I know I learned from looking at RW's code and Three the Hard Way's code. Oh, and The Way. Can't forget that one, Lun Calsari.) All I know is, this scene bugged twice before working, and some of the graphics were glitchy. This was definitely the low point of the previous game and as such Flare wanted to do it justice here.

Tin Tim posted:

"She would be happy during the wedding, but the reality constantly reminds her about dad's illness...I think it was too much for mom to bear with...so she couldn't have a formal marriage at the end..."

thenightsshadow told us why Rain and Flare never got married, jfyi.

Actually, what Fina just told us is exactly what she knows. She doesn't know the full truth and is never given the full truth.

Tin Tim posted:

Well, that's all the backstory stuff for now. If you can weigh in on any of this, thenightsshadow, please go ahead!

All done. One more tidbit before I go. You know that Sentinel character? We actually see "it" later.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

I honestly shook my head at that Leukemia part, it's just so wierdly out of place. Like, if you already have some magic silence disease, why not go the full mile and make up another magic disease that fucks with your immune system? :downs:

Tin Tim posted:

Thanks! The way you tell these things makes it seem like the first game had much better story/writing. I guess it could just be because you tell it that way, but some things about the first game sound legit interesting.

It's a remnant of the poor writing and storytelling done in the first game. It wasn't that great of a game, twists-aside, and honestly Romancing Walker is at least 200% better story-wise. Yeah, go fig, huh? It's actually "anime-ish" because the first game wasn't sure if it was trying to be anime or serious, and it flip flopped between the two a lot. Like, three times in the opening cutscene, including the whole "don't propose to me yet, I'll die" cliche.

Tin Tim posted:

Also, it's funny that you mention Three the Hard Way, as that game ranks pretty high among my personal top ten of maker games. It's good! I actually thought about LPing it instead of this one, but ultimately decided for :japan:

With that said though, TTHW is a game that I would like to do at some point. Especially since it has a bunch of optional content and a very impactful fork in the story. Would be interesting to see what path people choose when that comes up, as each decision blocks its own part of content.

I'll be honest, I was kinda disappointed when I saw you doing Romancing Walker, because I wanted to LP it. When I first made my account (for Dangan Ronpa), I decided to check out if Romancing Walker or any other Rm2k games had been made. Ah well, my contributions to this thread are good enough.

Tin Tim posted:

I really have no idea how the timeline should work. I'll refer that question to thenightsshadow, who is now the official keeper of Flare's lore. :)

I'll have to check on my end. Piecing together the bits and pieces, and finding out about holes between the first game and the second game (which is probably due to translation), etc. The first game implies it was after, I'll say that much.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
If I had to keep the general text the same, it'd be more like:

Ryle:
"But aren't you an elemental [spirit]?"

Sylph:
"Are you kidding, of course I am! Don't put me on the same level as a ghost, though!"

Or something like that.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Latyss, Mariel, and Caris. Somehow, having those first two not at 30 Attraction bugs me.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

And the scroll teaches her a skill of questionable value.

That is blasphemy. It's a 3-MP skill that damages about 100 to everyone, and Blind happens fairly often in mook battles. It's amazing, and I used it a LOT. Still nothing big of value to talk about yet, :science:-wise

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I'm really excited. It's almost time for some :science:!

On relation to the update, I rather didn't enjoy Caris, like the OP, personally, and started to like her more as a character after this scene. Granted, I took Latyss with me on that first run, and after that I began to like each of the characters. Well, except Hayami. Hayami never really left my team whenever I could have her after she got On Maku. IIRC, I think On Maku has a level limit that I once failed to reach in a playthrough.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Just wanted to give you a friendly reminder to not raise the girls' affections too high; you'll want to showcase the "bad ending" if nobody gets a high enough attraction. If you need the numbers, I can provide them, and I'm sure a few others can provide those numbers as well.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Partial :science: time.

Divine Victory Buster - Ancient Element. (Well, technically, it's Holy and Ancient.)

Unlike Divine Impact and Victory Buster, Divine Victory Buster is Ancient. Why? I'll get into it more as it goes on, but suffice to say, Raymah is scared of this move. Rain taught this move to Flare in a battle against Raymah. And yes, I mean taught. All of Rain's "new moves" are self-taught, and all he does is amplify certain characteristics of the spell on the fly. Here's a sample of what he's done:

Fire: Increase intensity, prevent escape.
Ice: Lower damage, target barrier.

All Rain did was show Flare how to combine her valkyrie Divine Impact and Victory Buster together. But what about the Ancient Element? That's still another 5 or so updates away. All you need to know for now is that Omega Wave, the spell mentioned by Fina before, is also Ancient Element.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I got Orubia on my first playthrough and Caris with my second.

There isn't much in Flare's backstory in that little section; actually, it's meant to set up a part of how the world works. So unfortunately, no :science: yet. I will hint that that realm that Ryle was in will be touched on in a later :science: post, though.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Small :science: time.

Welcome to the first ever foreshadowed party member of Romancing Walker. The game did have a sequel hook but was vague at best. However, Princess Mina (Merudia) was featured, and was stated to be a party member at some point in the game (if you read between the lines; it's never actually stated).

This is just speculation now, but the way the story of RW turned out, it seems like Mina was going to be the main character but it didn't feel right not having a male lead after the bait-and-switch mechanic of the first game.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
:science:

Welcome the (former) protagonist, Zestrum! Well, I don't have his actual name from the game before, but it's the same guy. He and his wife Meldyss (first traveling together as "adventurers", then engaged) were the game's first two characters, and that horndog attitude of Zestrum never really left him in the sequel.

Zestrum (a Magic Swordsman) had Rain Delstar as his personal soldier back in Gaiares, but he decided not to let anybody else know (according to the player) so when you first encounter Rain there was no explanation of his familiarity with Zestrum. Zestrum's relationship with Rain and Zeskar are both...shall we say, plothole-laden in that game.

Speaking of plotholes, notice that little tidbit about the history of the Gaiares empire? 22nd Emperor "Lodyss Fon Gaiares"? Didn't Zestrum mention that he's an ex-prince and that Zeskar succeeded him to the throne? What happened there? In the first game, Zestrum gives up his Prince role a few moments before Flare's wedding, so it would seem to mean that Zeskar's the guy in charge. Interestingly enough, Lodyss and Zeskar were referred to as separate entities throughout that game, but Romancing Walker describes the two in such a way that makes you think they're one and the same. I don't really have an answer for you here.

Anyways, the first tick that you might realize regarding Zestrum and Meldyss not actually being the main characters is that Meldyss doesn't learn a single spell via Level Up. Zestrum (Magic Swordsman), Meldyss (Shieldmaiden), Flare (Valkyrie), Rain (Magic Swordsman, though losing access to his spells when plot deemed it necessary), Sentinel (Dragon Magic/Axe Warrior), and ??? (Pure Mage/<spoiler>) were all part of the main group at differing times, and only Meldys was incapable of learning via Level Up. It was certainly interesting, I'll say.

Also, speaking of loss, think about how courageous Flare was. She loses Zestrum and Meldyss as party members to try to stop Gaiares' corruption (the backstory wasn't being exactly truthful about the Gaiares' intentions; they actually wanted to try to destroy Meldia due to what they thought was demonic influence, when they themselves were influenced by Mahzoks), hears that the castle they raid collapses with them still trapped in it, and then while transforming at her interrupted wedding, realizes that Sentinel is now paralyzed for good and that Rain's disease is back and worse than ever and both can no longer fight with her, leaving just ??? left. And when ??? can't reach CHAOS and Flare has to fight alone, all of those doubts and losses catch up with her, and without Rain's intervention (and thus his death), Flare would've never beaten CHAOS.

I've hinted as to who ??? is before, but I'm stating this person now because this person is central to the entire core.

I'm sure "Secret Agent" was less clunky in the original.

Also, Polsy, I need to ask you if this line was translated accurately from the original:

- "Its gravity field cancels out most magic, so tracing its magical energy is almost impossible."

Because if not, there's a problem.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

ultrafilter posted:

Fina and Mariel.

I agree with this one, and not just because I know what's coming.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I've had that font issue before. IIRC, it's a reading of the RTP system of the wrong font, and you need to download the correct font to fix it?

:science:

Mimi Festa. "Hero of the Dragonic War". If by hero you mean sing and dance and raise people's morale. Oh, and I guess fight stuff. She was so utterly forgettable that I nearly forgot she was there, even in passing.

Think one of the Macross F singer girls, but could fight...sorta. She didn't fight much because the people treated her like an idol despite her protests and didn't want her to get hurt.

Edit:

quote:

So really, I can understand that Flare didn't feel like doing all that on top of what he already did. It's just weird that he didn't space out their appearance a bit, or made an actual dungeon for each of them or something. I mean, the animations and designs are there, but they don't get used a whole lot.

Honest-to-goodness, I swear I thought Flare was female.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
This is how I had to explain the whole Warp thing.

Force Barrier and Dispell Traps are more or less two spells with a similar effect. Force Barrier is more battle-oriented while Dispell Traps is more passive, but both are energy barriers. When Ryle uses Warp, he has to displace a bunch of energy (aka the party) and transfer it elsewhere. Since Graphost's "Tempest" is an atmospheric change, using Warp makes a lot of energy move at a very fast speed, and energy vs. energy (Tempest) causes the explosion.

I went in-depth before but that's the major gist of my explanation and the only way it makes sense to me right now.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Small :science:

Hey, you know that place with all the dead bones and stuff? That was the city that Gaiares vaporized to start the war. "Old Gaiares" is just a name they give it to forget about what they had done.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
My vote is Mariel, Latyss, and Hayami. This should be a real good case of interesting.

Erlkonig posted:

This. Not having a healbot sucks, but if you have 90 potions it can't be that bad. Or are healing items just really lovely in this game?

I dunno, healing % HP with a 50 Gold Item seems pretty good.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
Slight spoiler here.

It's actually because he's just testing the waters. He'll be back before long; you'll see.

Tin Tim, as a small :science: moment to come, pay attention to Flare's words during that entire dialog. There may be something hidden in plain sight.

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013
I'm going to be spoiling in this small :science: because now's a good a time as any, and by the time the update where said spoiler is would go live, I have something more pressing to talk about in regards to the characters.

Okay, so Lady Flare is going to be manning the first party along with three other characters. (I always recommend putting Fina in the other party since Flare will take care of the Holy and Ancient Elements.) Remember that Divine V-Buster she used before? You'll soon be in command of that powerful attack. As I mentioned before, Rain was the only one that learned combinatory or otherwise altered spells, and mostly during battle. Flare's Divine Victory Buster is no exception. She learns it at Level 25, and IIRC the Playstation version of RPG Maker had a Level cap of 30. If I'm wrong about that part, someone please correct me.

It's nothing really special in theory, but later on we'll see why it's more special than it appears at first glance.

Finally, a question to Polsy. What Level does Flare learn Divine V-Buster in the Japanese Romancing Walker?

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

"Compared to your previous host in the past, my older sister Catyss Delstar...and Centinel de Riser, whom I got the Dragon Gene from. Both were already top-class fighters by themselves, so you were very powerful based on their bodies. But now, with the body of someone whose combat experience is almost none...what were YOU thinking?"

And this is the :science: I wanted to talk about. THIS FIGHT. THIS FIGHT.

So Funei has the ability to split her Mahzok body into two and make a double contact Mahzok with "half the power". Problem is, Flare had to take out her Valkyrie sister Catyss and Dragon Summoner Sentinel de Riser, both very skilled fighters; one being her sister and one being her teacher. And yes, that's Sentinel with an S.

Your party? Flare, Rain. Why? Because this wasn't Funei's first foray. Remember how Zestryss was mentioned to be a playable character? His leaving the party is due to Funei. Because Raymah wanted the glory he and Funei bickered and ultimately their division allowed Zestryss to break free from Funei's control through sheer will. So the Mahzoks collapsed the castle he and his wife-to-be were in. And that's how that happened.

Anyways, this is a 2-on-2 fight that's made even worse by the fact that Sentinel still has his Dragon Gene at this point and due to that would summon Green Dragons to fight and defend him. Catyss had more or less the same skills as Flare, but acting in the vein of a non-playable character that happens to be the same class as a party member (surprise surprise, game trope), she has better skills and a much worse Heal.

Catyss possessed by Funei would also have Holy Break, a skill that was supposed to lower your Holy resistance, but as far as I know the version that made it off of the Playstation RPG Maker had a slight bug that didn't make this work. Divine Impact still hurt, though, and could one-shot Rain if you hadn't been raising him.

You won this fight by bringing Flare to low HP for a flag to trigger, where Rain would learn Freeze Nightmare which would affect the opponent's MP instead of the HP. From there it was a matter of defeating Catyss first so Sentinel would summon a Red Dragon in her place, and then he could be targeted without the Green Dragons interfering because "oh no, Green Dragons/Red Dragons hate each other". Yeah, you can imagine the errors the game would cause if you tried doing multi-target skills.

That fight is probably the dumbest fight in the entire game because of how stupid it got. It wasn't the buggiest fight but it sure had a lot of problems, the least of which was dialogue in it.

Fun fact: Gladius is the spear Flare got from defeating Catyss.
Fun fact #2: This was Rain's second-to-last boss fight.

thenightsshadow fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Mar 31, 2014

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Brony Hunter posted:

An interesting read, as usual. I'm guessing that Flare's first game never got an English release? Is it still available on the internet, even in it's original Japanese?

No, it's not available, as far as I know. There was a Playstation RPG Maker "game" before and the first game was "released" on that console.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thenightsshadow
May 12, 2013

Tin Tim posted:

"That's only the case for regular Mahzoks. Funei is different. She can take over even dead corpses."

Addendum to the :science: above. Who's the dead one? Catyss or Sentinel?

• Locked thread