Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

GIANT OUIJA BOARD posted:

I'd say it was more like the Nemesis from RE3. And it was awesome and one of my favorite sequences of any Castlevania that I've ever played.

Oh agreed, 100%.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

C-Euro posted:

Finally, another person that enjoyed Quest 64! They were really primitive but I remember really liking the "branching" skill trees and the weird mix of turn-based/real-time combat.

I thoroughly enjoyed Quest 64, and still revisit it every few months. It's a terrible game, but I love it anyway :allears:

A Spider Covets
May 4, 2009

Sorry if it's been mentioned before, but Drakkan would have to be mine. Something about flying around on a dragon setting stuff on fire was pretty baller.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

GOTTA STAY FAI posted:

I thoroughly enjoyed Quest 64, and still revisit it every few months. It's a terrible game, but I love it anyway :allears:

I nearly bought that and Pokemon Snap from a friend in middle school. How awesome is that mashup?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

C-Euro posted:

I nearly bought that and Pokemon Snap from a friend in middle school. How awesome is that mashup?

I'd like to see another game like Pokemon Snap. More levels, more Pokemon, more tools at your disposal. Seriously, I played that game more than was reasonable, aiming to get the highest scores possible. I never got a perfect 10,000 point picture of Mew, though, I was always 20 points shy.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neurion posted:

I'd like to see another game like Pokemon Snap. More levels, more Pokemon, more tools at your disposal. Seriously, I played that game more than was reasonable, aiming to get the highest scores possible. I never got a perfect 10,000 point picture of Mew, though, I was always 20 points shy.

It's legitimately shocking they haven't done a Pokemon Snap 3D and have it be AR based. It just seems like a natural extension of things they've already done with the 3DS, they could make it fairly light and toss it up as a download-only title for ten bucks and still make crazy cash.

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

It's legitimately shocking they haven't done a Pokemon Snap 3D and have it be AR based. It just seems like a natural extension of things they've already done with the 3DS, they could make it fairly light and toss it up as a download-only title for ten bucks and still make crazy cash.

I don't know if the 3DS has the ability to determine its geographic location, but that could make for a great mechanic to determine what Pokemon you could photograph in the area.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

RyuujinBlueZ posted:

I've sort of thought a modern handheld console Monster Rancher could maybe do something similar. Not so much AR, maybe, but perhaps you take photos and the monster creation is based on compilation of several factors like color, brightness, character name, system serial number, time/date, etc. to make really personalized and unique monsters for playing/trading.

RyuujinBlueZ
Oct 9, 2007

WHAT DID YOU DO?!

Neurion posted:

I don't know if the 3DS has the ability to determine its geographic location, but that could make for a great mechanic to determine what Pokemon you could photograph in the area.

I don't think it would be that hard to make one of those old school special carts with a GPS or something, if the 3DS can't do it natively. It could also just use a quick internet connection to set where you're at, with the ability to change if you move and a default for if you don't pop online.

JediTalentAgent posted:

I've sort of thought a modern handheld console Monster Rancher could maybe do something similar. Not so much AR, maybe, but perhaps you take photos and the monster creation is based on compilation of several factors like color, brightness, character name, system serial number, time/date, etc. to make really personalized and unique monsters for playing/trading.

I'm pretty sure there was a game (I think using the Playstation Eye) that did something similar. But yeah, it would also be pretty neat to be able to turn random things around the house into monsters in the way Monster Rancher used to work.

Wait, this is the "cool ideas that will never happen" thread, right?

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Neurion posted:

They already have a pokemon that changes it's coloring depending on where you live in the world. I guess that would be taking that mechanic up to 11.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Pokemon/Nintendo/Game Freak is the Microsoft of video games. Wildly successful for poo poo they made decades ago, and every "innovation" they make is usually something retarded and weird.

And then when they hit a winner like Pokemon Snap they just ignore that and pop out 2 sequels to Pokemon Ranger.

Skipopatomus
Aug 30, 2007

Ozzy Osbourne simply duplicated the event.

I don't even own a 3DS but am still upset there isn't a sequel to pokemon snap for it.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Are there any good recent photography games out there that aren't Beyond Good and Evil? GTA5 almost counts.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

Beartaco posted:

Are there any good recent photography games out there that aren't Beyond Good and Evil? GTA5 almost counts.

What about Wind Waker HD?

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
Dead Rising?

Now I really want a stealth-action game where you have to take pics rather than kill stuff. Make the character a secret agent or a photojournalist or something.

by which I mean I want another BGaE.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Elfface posted:

Now I really want a stealth-action game where you have to take pics rather than kill stuff. Make the character a secret agent or a photojournalist or something.

IIRC there was going to be a Cloverfield fangame that would be like this, but the studio C&D'd them because they were planning a Cloverfield game of their own, but neither ever came to fruition.

Croccers
Jun 15, 2012

Beartaco posted:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Afrika_(video_game)
:shrug:

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Beartaco posted:

Dead Rising and Dead Rising 2: Off The Record?

Neurion
Jun 3, 2013

The musical fruit
The more you eat
The more you hoot

Beartaco posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 and Peace Walker let you take photos of soldiers and allow you to recreate your favorite Guantanamo moments.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

Elfface posted:

This was the original concept for The Bureau. A shame they couldn't make it work.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
What about Michigan? :frog:

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Neurion posted:

Metal Gear Solid 2 and Peace Walker let you take photos of soldiers and allow you to recreate your favorite Guantanamo moments.

Surely you mean 'Guantanamoments.'

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop
Siren for the PS2. It did fairly well in the rest of the world, but not so much in America. Here, it did poorly enough that we never got the sequel. It was incredibly difficult, and sometimes required insane amounts of patience, but goddamn if it wasn't one of the most disturbing horror games I've ever played. There was one level in particular that stands out to me as maybe the creepiest part of any game I've ever played: it's a level where you play as a young girl, and you have to sneak into her home to do something, but her family (who has now been turned into monsters) is all in the house, but they're not actively looking for you or anything like that, they're going through the motions of this grotesque parody of family life. Like I recall the father sits down to watch television but it's only static on the screen, but still after a few moments he starts laughing at it.

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy
Siren is one of those games whose premise is killer but whose actual gameplay is so bad that I'll never actually suffer through it.

Unkillable enemies, levels full of insta-kill snipers, walking into a wall making you slip into a pointless unskippable stumbling animation that renders you helpless to enemies, tons of pointless red herrings that make the inventory puzzles reach Roberta Williams-level frustration...the embarrassingly bad dub is just the cheery on top of the poo poo sundae.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Siren is one of those games whose premise is killer but whose actual gameplay is so bad that I'll never actually suffer through it.

Absolutely agreed. I was sad when Egomaniac wasn't able to finish his update of the original LP. It really is best enjoyed in LP format, and the sequel does a better job of weaving the weird temporal shenanigans together into a sensible timeline.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

...of SCIENCE! posted:

...snipers...the embarrassingly bad dub is just the cheery on top of the poo poo sundae.

The first little mini-level of Siren is probably one of the coolest, most tense things ever and always gets me psyched for the game...then the second level hits you over the head with zombie-snipers and the terrible dub. You're supposed to be able to handle the snipers by sightjacking them and watching for when they patrol the other side of their tower or look down at their shoes or whatever, but there's no way to tell how many shibito there are in any given area so the second you walk out from cover you inevitably get your skull perforated by the one sniper that you didn't manage to see off in some corner of the map.

I agree with Lotish here - I've never seen it LPed but what got me interested in the game in the first place was an in-depth walkthrough in some magazine when it came out.

GIANT OUIJA BOARD
Aug 22, 2011

177 Years of Your Dick
All
Night
Non
Stop

Ryoshi posted:

but there's no way to tell how many shibito there are in any given area

It's been a few years since I played it, but this isn't really true. You can tune around with your sightjacking to see how many of them you can sightjack to figure out how many there are, or use their sight to see if you can spot any additional enemies.

I really wish that the second one had come out in America, because holy poo poo do I love Siren. I have yet to try Blood Curse past the demo though, because I much prefer having physical copies of my games.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

I 100%ed all 3 Siren games, I 100%ed the PS2 ones twice when I went back to play them in Japanese.

The first one is a difficult game for sure but I'd gladly go back and play them through again if I had a PS2 and a free weekend.

Caufman
May 7, 2007

DStecks posted:

IIRC there was going to be a Cloverfield fangame that would be like this, but the studio C&D'd them because they were planning a Cloverfield game of their own, but neither ever came to fruition.

drat, they should have switched to a generic monster. It's not like Cloverfield's monster was that original.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Caufman posted:

drat, they should have switched to a generic monster. It's not like Cloverfield's monster was that original.

They were going to, renaming the project Grayshot, but again, nothing ever came of it. Just did some googling, apparently the project died when the guy behind it became a scientologist. :shrug:

IShallRiseAgain
Sep 12, 2008

Well ain't that precious?

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Unkillable enemies
I actually think that is one of the interesting things about siren. It makes the enemies a lot creepier, and forces you to play the game smartly.

Owl Inspector
Sep 14, 2011

This might not count as poorly received since it was mostly just not very popular instead of a ridiculed failure or anything, but I loved Battlefield 2142 and it's a drat shame it didn't last longer (it slowly died out over the last few years and then the gamespy shutdown finally killed it).

A lot of people thought it was worse than battlefield 2 for some reason but I saw it as better in almost every way. You could play for more than 15 seconds at a time without being instantly vaporized by some sperg in a plane/helicopter, health and damage felt very balanced outside of a few overpowered weapons, the items for each kit were fun to use, and the larger maps had a good balance between emptiness and chaos, while every battlefield game that followed was desperate to make sure you never went more than three seconds without getting shot at.

Aesthetically it had great sound design and a pretty cool setting (fighting over the last stretches of habitable earth left on the approach of an early ice age). Most of the technology was presented pretty plausibly too. While there were a few more obvious sci-fi elements like a cloaking device item, it still felt grounded with conventional weapons using bullets, ordinary rocket launchers, etc.

There was also the Titan mode which was fabulous and the only time the series has ever outdone Conquest in my opinion. I've been waiting for another future Battlefield ever since 2142 but it seems generic modern day settings still aren't going anywhere for awhile.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

Gestalt Intellect posted:

This might not count as poorly received since it was mostly just not very popular instead of a ridiculed failure or anything, but I loved Battlefield 2142 and it's a drat shame it didn't last longer (it slowly died out over the last few years and then the gamespy shutdown finally killed it).

A lot of people thought it was worse than battlefield 2 for some reason but I saw it as better in almost every way. You could play for more than 15 seconds at a time without being instantly vaporized by some sperg in a plane/helicopter, health and damage felt very balanced outside of a few overpowered weapons, the items for each kit were fun to use, and the larger maps had a good balance between emptiness and chaos, while every battlefield game that followed was desperate to make sure you never went more than three seconds without getting shot at.

Aesthetically it had great sound design and a pretty cool setting (fighting over the last stretches of habitable earth left on the approach of an early ice age). Most of the technology was presented pretty plausibly too. While there were a few more obvious sci-fi elements like a cloaking device item, it still felt grounded with conventional weapons using bullets, ordinary rocket launchers, etc.

There was also the Titan mode which was fabulous and the only time the series has ever outdone Conquest in my opinion. I've been waiting for another future Battlefield ever since 2142 but it seems generic modern day settings still aren't going anywhere for awhile.

Aren't Dice doing the new Star Wars: Battlefront? That might end up close to a sci-fi Battlefield.

Blarghalt
May 19, 2010

Loki_XLII posted:

Aren't Dice doing the new Star Wars: Battlefront? That might end up close to a sci-fi Battlefield.

I thought Battlefront 3 got canned.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Blarghalt posted:

I thought Battlefront 3 got canned.

The first version by the guys who made Timesplitters did, but once Star Wars was bought out by Disney they handed it to DICE. I'm pretty excited, Battlefront was always a pretty thinly-veiled Battlefield clone, so giving it to the guys actually in charge of Battlefield seems like a good move.

Coffee And Pie
Nov 4, 2010

"Blah-sum"?
More like "Blawesome"
I just remembered I have Wet, and I need something light to play while on the treadmill. It's far, far from perfect, but it's entertaining enough in half-hour chunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Esroc
May 31, 2010

Goku would be ashamed of you.
I got Dragon Age II long after its release, so had heard how poorly received it was and decided to go into my first playthrough modded in hopes I could avoid what everyone hated about it. I ended up having a blast by replacing the main guy with the Arishok model and only choosing the sarcastic dialogue choices throughout the game.

It was a lot of fun to play a giant hulking monster who speaks in a European accent and trolls the poo poo out of everybody he meets.

• Locked thread