Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gobblecoque
Sep 6, 2011

BillyandCloneasaur posted:

I thought Raven Software's Wolfenstein and Singularity were both really fun and satisfying shooters. IGN called them "gay".

I really enjoyed Wolfenstein too. Hell I think I might like it better than Return to Castle Wolfenstein.

Also, on the subject of Dragon Age 2, while I never played it, witnessing its trainwreck of a development process from the pre-release thread gave me more enjoyment than a great many games do. So there's that it DA2's favor, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kimmalah
Nov 14, 2005

Basically just a baby in a trenchcoat.

...of SCIENCE! posted:

Most people weren't complaining about jokes, they were complaining that the devs thought that internet memes, "random" humor, and a literal catchphrase machine were an acceptable substitute for actual jokes.

Yeah I've heard the meme complaints, which I still think are a little silly but to each their own. However I've run into a few people who were seriously just upset that the game wasn't a serious/gritty shooter and had silly moments of any kind in it.

I thought Raven Software's Wolfenstein and Singularity were both really fun and satisfying shooters. IGN called them "gay".

I forgot about Singularity, but I agree that one was a good title that didn't quite get its due. I always though the time-altering mechanics of the game were really cool, especially when they were used to solve puzzles.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

HenessyHero posted:

I liked Dragon Age 2 for entirely silly reasons then. I just liked the more challenging gameplay, better balancing, new mechanics, more interesting (though seriously hosed up) companions and sarcastic rear end in a top hat Hawke. It's a shame they didn't give it another year or two's development time so it didn't have to reuse every area over and over or have its story cut into nonsensical ribbons.

I did like, however, how the Seeker thought Hawke was a genius and at the heart of a massive-scale, exquisitely planned conspiracy involving decades-long intrigues, deep cover agents and involved co-conspirators from all of the world's major groups (and it seems reasonable from the Seeker's perspective!) but really Hawke was just a giant doofus who collected thousands of mouldy scarves and couldn't walk ten feet without a catastrophe happening.

Sarcastic rear end in a top hat Hawke alone was worth the price of admission, I was laughing my rear end off the whole time when I was playing that character. Two years later and I still laugh every time I think of the sarcastic option when you report to the guard captain that you found the bones of one of the missing women he had you searching for.

"Then there is no chance of finding Mharen alive—or any of the others."
"Well, if they're not dead, watch out for a bunch of boneless women flopping through the streets. :smug:"

I also liked the new Wolfenstein, since we're talking about it. I felt it was a solid shooter with a cool B-movie plot and the powers were neat to mess around with. The fact that you could use the power that supercharges your bullets and greatly increases penetration to shoot a flamethrower enemy in the front so the bullet rips right through him and hits the fuel tank on his back was amazing.

ASIC v Danny Bro
May 1, 2012

D&D: HASBARA SQUAD
CAPTAIN KILL

Just HEAPS of dead Palestinnos for brekkie, mate!
This one goes way back to the start of the PSones lifecycle - Spider.

As far as I could tell, the game received some fairly poor reviews. And I can see why - it was terribly unforgiving, two hits and you would be dead. The controls were a pain, too. And yet I had a poo poo ton of fun with it. Becoming a fully decked out mecha spider was incredibly fun, as well as some of the levels. They had some pretty freaky bosses, too - the tapeworm in the museum, the final boss which was a brain in a jar with some eyes...

And the game over cinematic. God drat. :stare:

Kaboom Dragoon
May 7, 2010

The greatest of feasts

LoudLoudNoise posted:

I'll throw PN03 into this list. I remember when the game was still in development, it received a bunch of comparisons to the also-in-development Starcraft Ghost. They were both third person shooters set in a futuristic environment starring an attractive female lead character. At least that's what it looked like. In reality, PN03 has much more in common with Rez and shmups than it does with the third-person action genre of early/mid 2000s console gaming. The gameplay is more about standing still and figuring out how to evade your opponents' attacks (with dancing!) than it was about being stealthy, clever, or outgunning your enemies. Unfortunately that was lost on a lot of reviewers and gamers alike since they expected a full-on action game.

I won't deny that it's a pretty weird game due to its initially off-putting gameplay mechanics, but it is definitely an underappreciated gem of the GameCube library.

http://youtu.be/PLrGj-KrL_0

I remember when it came out, it was praised for its character animation, but derided for its clean/bland look. I wonder how it would've fair if it was rereleased now, what with iProduct idolatry being what it is. In that respect, it was hugely ahead of its time.

Crawshayi
May 1, 2009
No mention of one of my favourite PC games: I-War

Still remember picking this one up randomly in a store; back when PC games came in massive boxes full of stuff. I picked it up based on the front cover alone:

There are loads of reasons why I love this drat game. It had Newtonian physics which were an awesome mechanic when learning how to fight in space; still remember when I realised I could speed away from enemy ships and then turn to blow them to hell with space lasers!

It also had a pretty cool and in depth campaign which had a nice coherent, original and (well until aliens decided to show up) pretty realistic story. The bad guys weren't just some cardboard cut out bastards but rather some legitimate freedom fighters, fighting against the man, with a cool rebellious edge to them (they stole ships off the commonwealth navy and spray painted them with graffiti).

But what really made this game stand out was the intro cinematic:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BCmVsRjpTss

...Yep that's right 15 mins of space opera goodness! Seriously, the effort for a 1997 game to have that is phenomenal. I remember being so stoked after watching that movie to jump into the first mission.

But yet all that effort and...pretty much no one bought it, such a shame:

quote:

wikipedia: the American version was successful and won 'Space-Sim of the year' awards from many magazines and websites. Encouraged by this, an expanded edition was designed. I-War / Independence War sold around 250,000 copies worldwide. Including the special editions the total sales were about 300,000.[2][3][4] Despite the relative success, I-War stayed merely a cult classic and was an underdog in comparison to such space simulation games as FreeSpace or Wing Commander series

Any ways it's available on GoG (though I can't get it to display correctly) with all the old manuals and stuff (which are also awesome).

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
Another one of mine is Silent Hill: Shattered Memories. It actually got some good reception from critics but fans just love to hate it. Its got it fair share of flaws, it had some poor writing here and there, i.e. anything out of Kaufman's mouth is usually ridiculous; Liquid Snake had a better understanding of genetics than Kaufman does to psychology and he's supposed to be a professional. Also the chase scenes are pretty lacking and could have been given more depth. Overall though when it did good it did it well. It had a strong atmosphere and despite its pitfalls its story had a really nice ending. It was more of a psychological thriller than horror but it still captured the series' spirit at its best and its the closet the series has come to the emotional resonance of SH2. In retrospect it kind of feels like a spiritual predecessor to Walking Dead, not as well written and more rough, but the whole goal to immersing the player into the story is there. Shattered Memories may have failed to really pull off all its ambitions but it still succeeded enough to not deserve the hate it gets.

Accordion Man has a new favorite as of 19:12 on May 14, 2013

SpazmasterX
Jul 13, 2006

Wrong about everything XIV related
~fartz~

I thought Singularity had an excellent ending.

Inco
Apr 3, 2009

I have been working out! My modem is broken and my phone eats half the posts I try to make, including all the posts I've tried to make here. I'll try this one more time.
I really liked Singularity as well. After seeing YET's LP of Wolfenstein, I wanted to play that as well, but it's been pulled from Steam. It's a real shame, what happened to Raven Software.

Another game I liked was Red Faction: Armageddon. It was more of a "return to form", being a straight-up shooter closer to the original Red Faction than Red Faction: Guerrilla's open world gameplay, but I thought the game played really well, and the Magnet Gun was a lot of fun to use. It's a shame it sold so abysmally that it killed the series.

swamp waste
Nov 4, 2009

There is some very sensual touching going on in the cutscene there. i don't actually think it means anything sexual but it's cool how it contrasts with modern ideas of what bad ass stuff should be like. It even seems authentic to some kind of chivalric masculine touching from a tyme longe gone

Captain Drumline posted:

I also liked the whole "hunting" feel of the game: the whole purpose of the game is to eradicate the planet of all Metroids, and each time you kill one the counter goes down by one. It gives off a real sense of progress.

Oh my god that rules. I really like when a game is framed as your character setting out to do a specific thing, and doing that thing is the core of the gameplay. As opposed to like, "Niko has come to chase the American dream" and your job is to shoot 1 million dudes and Niko takes care of the American dream part in cutscenes, or the "keep doing missions until we're out of plot twists" narrative driven format you see in most action games.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

Inco posted:

I really liked Singularity as well. After seeing YET's LP of Wolfenstein, I wanted to play that as well, but it's been pulled from Steam. It's a real shame, what happened to Raven Software.

Another game I liked was Red Faction: Armageddon. It was more of a "return to form", being a straight-up shooter closer to the original Red Faction than Red Faction: Guerrilla's open world gameplay, but I thought the game played really well, and the Magnet Gun was a lot of fun to use. It's a shame it sold so abysmally that it killed the series.

I honestly feel like RF:A was way superior to the much better-received RF:G. Mainly because they made the destructible environments feel like a fluid, natural part of the gameplay, and didn't force you to do it constantly until the novelty wears off after a couple hours like in Guerrilla.

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
I just started playing it about a week ago, but I'm another person who just loving LOVES Dragon Age 2. Never played any of the other ones, but a friend said "hey you might like this" and she was RIGHT. I love how everyone is so imperfect and they're all gently caress ups and it's just GREAT.

I'm also a huge fan of Mass Effect 3. Like ridiculously huge. Do not even talk to me about the ending, because I loved it. All of it. It's a fantastic game. Yeah, it was rushed and there's stuff that I wish had been done better, but I still love it. I'm kind of resigned now to playing every game Bioware makes from now on and loving it.

God the more I think about it, the more I realize that I really love "bad" games. Super Mario Sunshine is my favorite Mario game. Final Fantasy X and X-2 are my favorite Final Fantasies (and the only ones I'll ever bother to replay). Yeah, I like X-2! I loving love it! I love all the Fable games. All of em, I just eat that poo poo right up, I think they're great.

texting my ex
Nov 15, 2008

I am no one
I cannot squat
It's in my blood

Inco posted:

I just don't get why Armageddon got so much hate. I'm not usually a fan of "streamlining" games, but Armageddon got rid of all the boring Guerrilla stuff. Action packed ride from start to finish, I loved it :sigh:

its all nice on rice
Nov 12, 2006

Sweet, Salty Goodness.

Buglord
Armageddon was a fairly large departure from Guerilla, so I think that might be why so many people dislike it. Guerilla was open world and Armageddon wasn't. Pretty sure 1 & 2 were closer to Armageddon in the gameplay style, though.
I enjoyed the game and am glad it was part of the THQ bundle.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

E.G.G. aka Elemental Gimmick Gear was a terrible Dreacast Zelda knockoff. The plot is a mess, overworld combat functions on 100% different rules than boss combat which has 100% different rules than two other bosses for no reason. Additionally, should you fall behind on upgrades enemies will unceremoniously 1-2 shot kill you where if you were at the correct upgrade it would take 10 or more hits to kill you.

The reason I love it? The game has an excellent and stupid opening featuring the gem of the line "The place was filled with fog, so naturally the people called it... Fogna." More importantly they decide to have a huge twist that ends up being meaningless 3/4ths of the way through the game but don't bother to foreshadow or hint at it at all. You go to meet a friend of yours and the very first thing he says to you is "You see we're both from the Moon." No context, no warning. Just dropping a little moon heritage on you.

That sentence made all the poo poo gameplay worth it.

Carbohydrates
Nov 22, 2006

Listen, Mr. Kansas Law Dog.
Law don't go around here.
Savvy?

What? Got a link?

I enjoy Bioshock 2 more than the original. No, its story isn't as good. No, it's not as suspenseful. Yeah, it's not radically different from BS1. That said, the gameplay is greatly improved by wielding plasmids and weapons together, research is handled better, and the flow of the game is great, with the final few levels being just fantastic. Plus, it had really good DLC.

cis_eraser_420
Mar 1, 2013

True Crime: New York City is universally regarded as a terrible game - and honestly, I'm not surprised. The driving is poo poo, it looks ugly even for 2004, the storyline is a badly written B movie, audio mixing is really weird (the pedestrian dialogue's really loud for some reason) and the whole Good/Bad cop system is really abusable. Oh, and there's some really in-your-face product placement.

And yet, somehow, it's one of the most fun games I ever played. It's a Cowboy Cop movie, just in game form. There's a pretty well working cover system, and you can dive through the air like Max Payne, dual wielding pistols (complete with slow-mo after you buy some upgrades). Christopher Walken voices one of the characters. You can play as a sarcastic black undercover detective in an old-school trenchcoat with a Thompson. You can use a Minigun or a Flamethrower and still be considered a Good Cop. If someone happens to be exploded, you can pick up one of their limbs and whack their buddies over the head with it. The hand to hand fighting isn't exactly Sleeping Dogs, but it has a lot of flexibility and available fighting styles. The music is pretty good, and it's stored in the game's directory as plain Jane .wma (or .wav?) files, letting you replace it with your own (especially funny if you do it at random and end up with Village People's YMCA blaring at high volume during a high-speed chase with tons of jumps and explosions).

So, yeah. If you ever find a copy of this game while rummaging through the bargain bin somewhere, buy it - who knows, you might actually have some fun with it.

I'm also a big fan of Scarface : The World Is Yours, which is basically one big alternate ending to the movie. In the game, unlike the movie, Tony turns around in time to shoot the guy with the shotgun, escapes from the mansion in a cocaine-powered rampage, swears off using coke forever after that, and gets ready to claw his way to the top again.

The clothing selection is a wonderful reflection of the movie Tony Montana's dress sense (read: loud suits and hawaiian shirts), the soundtrack is killer (almost as good as GTA: Vice City's), the voice acting really shines (everyone's voiced well, but especially Tony, whose VA does a really good Al Pacino impression), the combat is fun (you get points for shooting people in various areas of the body, and the groin has "left nut" and "right nut" areas, also you can fire from your car in every direction, something the GTA games only got in GTA IV), the driving is fun, and it's overall just a fun romp through 80's Miami. You take over business fronts, fight rival cartels, smuggle cocaine by boat, and handle deals. And yes, you can buy a tiger for your mansion.

The biggest problem of this game is that it apparently has some serious trouble with running on operation systems newer than XP, but if you've got an older machine kicking around/still haven't upgraded, you owe yourself to check this game out.

Moon Man
Mar 31, 2006

The Moon, for Christ's Sake
Are we talking about poorly received from gamers or critics? Because I loving LOVE the new DMC: Devil May Cry It has a handful of faults that have nothing to do with the redesigned characters. But, I think this game is genius and I really like what they did with the series. To hell with the Haters. The Critics all seemed to think this game was good and gave it good scores. But, boy howdy do the fans love to cling to their old version.

Crow Jane
Oct 18, 2012

nothin' wrong with a lady drinkin' alone in her room
This thread is making me want to play Dragon Age 2 for the fifth or so time.

Echoing what others have said, I just love how lovely everything is in the game. For some reason, that made it infinitely replayable for me... in other games, I actually feel a bit bad when taking the rear end in a top hat dialogue option, and generally try to keep things as diplomatic/do-gooder as possible. There's something really nice about throwing that out the window and not having to worry about the consequences. I had great fun with my gleefully retarded assassin and my horribly angry, self-loathing mage who ran around in her underwear. It's nice actually playing a role in a role playing game.

I also love all of the Fable games. I almost exclusively play as a do-gooder in those, so I play the same game every time, but I just really love the setting and the combat. I make a point of taking the long way for everything. It's actually incredibly relaxing... I'm just a roided-up, glowing blue lady in ridiculous clothes wandering around Albion with her dog, reading every single tombstone, farting at townsfolk, blowing up garden gnomes, buying every single piece of real estate, making 1000 gold pouring a pint of beer, and occasionally completing a quest. Good times.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Crow Jane posted:

This thread is making me want to play Dragon Age 2 for the fifth or so time.

Echoing what others have said, I just love how lovely everything is in the game. For some reason, that made it infinitely replayable for me... in other games, I actually feel a bit bad when taking the rear end in a top hat dialogue option, and generally try to keep things as diplomatic/do-gooder as possible. There's something really nice about throwing that out the window and not having to worry about the consequences. I had great fun with my gleefully retarded assassin and my horribly angry, self-loathing mage who ran around in her underwear. It's nice actually playing a role in a role playing game.

It makes it hard for me to enjoy other games, honestly. How many games always give you the "Shut up your life story is stupid" option when discussing issues with your friends? It's a feature I strongly believe every RPG should have and yet only DA2 so gleefully delivers.

I still always play a do-gooder though. It makes it so hilarious and tragic when it all goes to poo poo anyway. The road to hell, Hawke :allears:.

Paper Diamonds
Sep 2, 2011
Fallout Tactics was an amazing game. Huge maps with plenty of options, some genuinely funny moments, solid gameplay. I feel like it was over looked because it wasn't Fallout 3. Sure later on it got a little stupid hard near the end but overall I thought it was fantastic.

Just thinking about it is making me want to reinstall and load up the Humvee with 6 heavy weapons guys and roll around hosing down super mutants. I really wish more small group tactics games with RPG elements existed. Between Jagged Alliance, Xcom, and Fallout Tactics its just enough to see the true potential of that type of game.

Homestar Runner
Oct 9, 2012

This is the best videogame
I have ever played!
Donkey Kong Country III: Dixie's Double Trouble, while maybe not an entirely "poorly-received" game, is my favourite of the DKC series and it seems like the consensus is that it was the weakest entry. It wasn't exactly helped out by the coinciding release of the Nintendo 64.

Personally, I really enjoyed the level variety, the overworld with the different cruise boats you unlock through Funky Kong, and completing extra challenges in order to gain / swap items with the Brothers Bears. Also the hidden banana birds!

Yeah, that game ruled.

Homestar Runner has a new favorite as of 02:23 on May 15, 2013

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I really liked Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerebus for some reason. I know it isn't the greatest and people hate it but I liked playing it. And it's not like I'm some Final Fantasy VII fanboy who'll eat up anything with Cloud-kun in it, I didn't really like the movie and Crisis Core is so hard to get through.

People say the shooting is terrible and it's bad all over but I don't see it :shobon:

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"
Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete for the PlayStation are probably my two favorite games. I haven't been into anime since I was a junior in high school and I haven't gamed since 2004, but every couple of years I'll dust off my PS2 just to play through these two gems. I even have the original versions for my Sega CD. Bummed out that Working Designs went under, they did some fine ports.

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert

B.H. Facials posted:

Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete and Lunar 2: Eternal Blue Complete for the PlayStation are probably my two favorite games. I haven't been into anime since I was a junior in high school and I haven't gamed since 2004, but every couple of years I'll dust off my PS2 just to play through these two gems. I even have the original versions for my Sega CD. Bummed out that Working Designs went under, they did some fine ports.

They went crazy on the bonus items but I could do without the Austin Powers and Fabio references in my fantasy RPG.

LoudLoudNoise
Dec 29, 2008

Overbite posted:

I really liked Final Fantasy VII Dirge of Cerebus for some reason. I know it isn't the greatest and people hate it but I liked playing it. And it's not like I'm some Final Fantasy VII fanboy who'll eat up anything with Cloud-kun in it, I didn't really like the movie and Crisis Core is so hard to get through.

People say the shooting is terrible and it's bad all over but I don't see it :shobon:

Crisis Core is kind of a slog, but the ending makes the game so worth it. It tells the inevitable end of Zack's story as a mixture of CG cutscenes and gameplay and it ended up being beautifully done. If you have any kind of childhood/teenage connection to playing FFVII, you oughta complete Crisis Core.

B.H. Facials
May 9, 2011

"Getting teased is part of growing up. It's no big deal. Just tell yourself, 'Sticks and stones may break my bones, but a .44 Magnum will tear that bully a new asshole!'"

Overbite posted:

They went crazy on the bonus items but I could do without the Austin Powers and Fabio references in my fantasy RPG.

Fabio is timeless, Austin Powers not so much.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Slave Zero a third person shooter/ brawler where you play as a giant gently caress off mech in an even bigger megalopolis generally loving poo poo up royally. Now here's the weird part I was in an area that blockbuster was doing a test market for renting PC games where you would take the game home and you would own the disc but the install would only work for a few days... until I set the clok on my pc back a year played the everliving poo poo out of the game.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDwSmZa13xE

Der Luftwaffle
Dec 29, 2008

Pick posted:

I still always play a do-gooder though. It makes it so hilarious and tragic when it all goes to poo poo anyway. The road to hell, Hawke :allears:.

I loved the combat but I remember being on the fence about whether I liked the story and characters until that elf girl's quest. Her life's work has been fixing this ancient artifact of unspeakable evil which you can encourage or discourage her from doing, while everyone tells you repeatedly that fixing it is a really bad idea. Eventually she fixes it and surprise, it kills her mentor and her people try to kill her, so you have to slaughter your way through her entire tribe, some of whom you'd previously done quests for.

...and then you have the option of telling her how retarded she was and then sleeping with her.

I was so taken aback by that sequence of events that I realized DA2 was one of the greatest rear end in a top hat simulators in history.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Der Luftwaffle posted:

I was so taken aback by that sequence of events that I realized DA2 was one of the greatest rear end in a top hat simulators in history.

It doesn't have to go exactly that way (I mean, some parts do), but you tell no lies. I mean, you can gently caress Fenris and then sell him back into slavery. But that's a very cruel thing to do to a hobo.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I loved FFXIII, right up until the end of the game (which is stupid as hell and just directly contradicts all of your character's motivations for the sake of wrapping it up and having a boss fight). Everything about it was frantically paced, from the story to the battle system. Then there's a brief period where you can explore a large deserted planet area and take on sidequests, and everyone complained that the game took too long to open up or get past the tutorial.

It wasn't a tutorial, I mean it lasts for a good solid half of the playtime of the game for a reason. The part where it 'opens up' is really the only respite from the pace of the game and it ends with a lead-up to the conclusion in the third act.

Sure, the characters were all boring or annoying but none of them were downright unbearable except Hope, and frankly I'd rather have a whiny backstabby kid for a side character than whatever the hell Vaan was supposed to be.

Automatonic Water
Jul 8, 2012

dig thru the ditches
and burn thru the witches
and slam in the back of my.........
.........DRAGULA

Yams Fan
Is this the Dragon Age 2 thread? Because I also love Dragon Age 2 more than a sensible person should. Be the most important gently caress-up rear end in a top hat in town. Swagger around town with your crew of other gently caress-up assholes who usually only stick around because their hatred of you (and themselves) is the only thing that makes them feel complete. Seriously, I do like the friend/rivalry change from the approval slider of Origins. You can't just do and say lovely things to your companions in Origins or they'll grow a loving backbone and leave and/or kill you. Dragon Age II companions can rethink their loyalty to you if they only hate you a little bit, but if they hate you a LOT they'll never leave your side.

Also I liked the combat.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012
It's been mentioned, but I legitimately think that Singularity is one of the most enjoyable FPS experiences to be released this console generation. It's Bioshock-lite for the first quarter, but once you start getting the TMD powers it just sort of opens up into something really special.

For example, there's this power called "Deadlock." You charge it up and launch it at a surface, and it forms a dome around the impact point. Now, anything outside of the dome moves normally, but anything inside is like, 1/10th's the speed. So you can throw deadlock at the ground and sidestep rockets and bullets. Or you can throw it on a wall and catch a grenade in mid air. Or you can throw it over an enemy, step into the bubble, and unload and entire clip into their skull. What's really great is that you can expand and compress the dome at will. So after emptying said clip, you can drop the bubble and watch your enemy explode into strawberry jelly.

It's not a groundbreaking game, but everything it does what it does reasonably well with a few unique elements that really put it over the top. It's a shame it didn't get more praise.

StrangersInTheNight
Dec 31, 2007
ABSOLUTE FUCKING GUDGEON

Captain Drumline posted:

I think Metroid II (GameBoy) was a really drat good game, one of my favorite games of all time even. I'm not sure that it's poorly received per se, but it's definitely overlooked a lot by Metroid fans. It's easily my favorite Metroid though. All of the environments look similar, which makes you get lost easily. This is actually good because it makes you feel like you really are alone on an alien planet. The music is eerie, the environments are huge, and the enemy designs are creepy too. Sometimes the atmosphere in the game is so intense that I actually felt scared, which is pretty impressive for a GB game.

I also liked the whole "hunting" feel of the game: the whole purpose of the game is to eradicate the planet of all Metroids, and each time you kill one the counter goes down by one. It gives off a real sense of progress. I liked how the focus of the game was really on killing all Metroids, unlike the weirdness of the newer games in the series.

Hey me too! It's also really vital to the later Metroid storylines, as this is the game THE BABY comes from. You spend the whole game hunting Metroids, and they keep evolving and becoming bigger until you reach the Metroid Queen. At the end you find one single egg, which hatches and quickly becomes imprinted on you. You can't bring yourself to kill it, so as the planet collapse you save it and escort the last living Metroid off the planet. The whole time it's peeping and cooing at you as its 'mother', and it's sooooo cute :3:

Also there was a very definite musical cue when you'd enter battle with a Metroid, and they were a few times you'd just be running down a tunnel thinking nothing of it and DUH-DUH-DUUUUUH! BAM! METROID. I sincerely jumped at this game a few times as a kid...replayed it as an adult recently and it still got me.

StrangersInTheNight has a new favorite as of 06:44 on May 15, 2013

Quatrefoil
Feb 13, 2010

Homestar Runner posted:

Donkey Kong Country III: Dixie's Double Trouble, while maybe not an entirely "poorly-received" game, is my favourite of the DKC series and it seems like the consensus is that it was the weakest entry. It wasn't exactly helped out by the coinciding release of the Nintendo 64.

Personally, I really enjoyed the level variety, the overworld with the different cruise boats you unlock through Funky Kong, and completing extra challenges in order to gain / swap items with the Brothers Bears. Also the hidden banana birds!

Yeah, that game ruled.
I think it just wasn't as good as the second one, Kiddy just can't hold a candle to Diddy. I also didn't like the overall style as much. Still way better levels, graphics etc. than the first DKC though in my opinion. And especially better secrets/collectibles.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Mr. Gibbycrumbles posted:

Doom 3 got a lot of hate, but I thought it was the best thing id software had made since the original Quake in 1996.

I think people just wanted another knife-through-butter shooting gallery, and when they got monster closets, fumbling with flashlights, suffocating gloom and claustrophia, there was a lot of backlash. I personally loved it because of those things.

Most people's issues with the game were that they were trying to make an atmospheric shooter but it was constrained by the fact that the game wasn't very scary and the shooting segments were hamstrung by the fact that the game operated on movement and shooting mechanics very similar to the Quake series, but it was so consigned to corridors and cramped levels that you could never get the mobility you wanted to. This is pretty much because the engine prevented them from making larger levels so they essentially trapped the player in small arenas where you couldn't fully enjoy the firefights because you were cribbed into little to no mobility on an engine and gameplay concept that relied on that functionality.

Naganted
Jul 22, 2007

Indistinct Gibberish.
Toilet Rascal

shock.wav posted:

Freedom Fighters

I don't know exactly how this game fared. All I know is that I'd never heard of it, and no one I've recommended it to has either.

You control a group of mercenaries with different specialties (a game mechanic I've been in love with since The Lost Vikings) in a series of missions to take back control of America from an army of invading Soviet communist pigs.

I think they may blur the Russian-ness of the bad guys, but it's pretty clear who you're fighting against.

The combat is great, the squad control is great, the stealth sections are...stealthy. It's just great. If you ever spot it in a bargain bin, grab it.

You forget the multiplayer aspect. I played the snot out of this game, thought I was done with it, and then discovered that getting slightly buzzed and taking on a friend in splitscreen made for some excellent hilarity and chicanery. The tactics sort of got nearly deep when playing with people in a tournament style rotation, especially when drunken grudges were formed.

I really wish this game did better, I was hoping for a few sequels to see the game/engine evolve and possibly go on to next gen systems. It sort of had the Mercenaries syndrome.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
An old Playstation Japanese-style RPG, Beyond the Beyond.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beyond_the_Beyond

When we spent weekends at our cabin on the lake during junior high, I'd be allowed to rent a game from the local video store to play once my homework was done. After going through Genesis stuff like Shining in the Darkness and Phantasy Star II, upgrading to a Playstation and getting to check out THAT section of the store was awesome. I had a choice between this game and Wild ARMS.

I chose...poorly.

Long dungeons, way too many random overland encounters, the boss fights suck, and at one point, the most powerful party character gets cursed and becomes weak, but you still have to drag him along to get him cured across a LONNNNNNNNNNNG rear end desert where you get jumped every single step of the way. I think I finished the game over the course of a week during the summer simply out of inertia and hatred. Mornings were spent doing chores/yardwork, and the afternoons/evenings/late nights were spent throwing myself at this game. After beating it, I walked 45 minutes to the video store to return it and rent Wild ARMS because I needed to get a new game in my PS as soon as possible to remove the "taste" from the system.

Considering Phantasy Star II is one of my favorite games, you'd think I'd loathe this game, but I somehow find it charming and would love a chance to play it again.

Orange Fluffy Sheep
Jul 26, 2008

Bad EXP received
Star Ocean 3 has a terrible story, a poorly explained and mostly incomprehensible item creation system, and a battle system whose quirks you'll have to figure out for yourself, if you want to play at a reasonable level.

I've started like my 7000th new file this last week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow
The 2010 version of Aliens vs. Predator is not a well-designed masterful experience. The plot is an excuse, the voice acting is wretched, and everything is very simplistic.

So simplistic that it is incredibly easy for me to just pick up the game when I'm bored, play until I have something else to do, and then abandon it for months. It's just such a completely undemanding game. It's the fast food of games.

• Locked thread