Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Golden_Zucchini
May 16, 2007

Would you love if I was big as a whale, had a-
Oh wait. I still am.

Schubalts posted:

Amazon still has some, but they're from a third-party seller, and therefore more expensive than it should be.

http://www.amazon.com/Folklore-Playstation-3/dp/B000UW1YBW

Yeah, way overpriced. My local GameStop had it for $12.

I'd never heard of this before, but I'll be playing along.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
I think that nearly everyone has a second round of discussion if you talk to them again, like Fir Darrig and his buddy did. Well, the half-lifes in the bar, at least.

It's interesting what bits from the game I've completely forgotten about, though.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

I fought the lava, and the lava won.
I randomly cued up the video and this was what I saw. It's too perfect not to use as the screenshot.

It's time to join Keats as he follows in Ellen's footsteps, all the way to the altar beneath the South Henge. Of course, as we know, humans can't survive in the Netherworld on their own, but there's only one Cloak of Sidhe. Will Keats find the Boots of Hidhe? I'm afraid not. His will be a very different power...

Youtube

While you watch this video, I'll be updating the character list in the second post. I'll try to do that whenever we learn enough about a character to be worth noting, which will probably be mostly in Chapter 1.

Kgummy posted:

I think that nearly everyone has a second round of discussion if you talk to them again, like Fir Darrig and his buddy did. Well, the half-lifes in the bar, at least.

I covered a couple of those in this video, at least. I might go back later and see whether there's anything particularly interesting that I missed, but I felt the first video was long enough already.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

I forgot how well the dialogue helps maintain the dreamy, surreal atmosphere. It works really well here, though it would be unbearable anywhere else.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

drat. I was not expecting that kind of transformation. And somehow Keats maintains his disbelief?

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

Holy crap. I saw this game when it first came out, but I've never had a PS3. I'm looking forward to more Keats, now. His guide is dapper as gently caress.

JamieTheD
Nov 4, 2011

LPer, Reviewer, Mad Welshman

(Yes, that's a self portrait)
You'd be amazed what people rationalise, and you'd be shocked at what people accept without thinking, to be honest. It's certainly a very interesting representation of magic, and two very interesting characters: The trusting soul who may unwittingly bring disaster, and the cynical old soul (yet incredibly dapper, as others have said) who may save it.

...Of course, since this is a story of the fae, the truth could be the opposite, or both, or neither. I'm liking this, especially the relatively subtle (and thus more realistic) irish accents... not perfect ones, but still moderately good!

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Is it bad that the first thing I thought was: "He can't win a pultizer; he doesn't work for an American magazine."

Kgummy
Aug 14, 2009
Well, it doesn't say that it isn't an American magazine, though considering how fast he (presumably) got there, it's probably somewhere in the UK/Ireland. But it's more likely the translators made it a recognizable award. I'm kind of curious what the pal version has him say, if it's anything different. I forgot he was the editorial department, though.

Rewatching also made me notice some other details. Such as the little blind animation, and that they put in the sound when they go back into place.

They really put in detail into this game, I forgot how good it looked, even outside of cutscenes. And of course I forgot quite a bit of the plot, but like Bobbin, I do remember the ending bits.

Ben Kasack
Dec 27, 2010
So far, I'm actually liking EVERYONE in the game for different reasons. I hope we can see more in the following chapters and get some more characterization for everyone. In particular all the half-lives in the bar. They are an interesting bunch.

Sosogomi
Jun 1, 2011
I was not disappointed. And yes, you can actually experience pain in a dream, depending on what kind it is. From what I understand, what the sleeping mind really screws up are numbers. Though if Keats realizes he can look at a clock and tell what time it is, I will be amazed if that makes him suddenly understand the weird poo poo is actually real.

Sosogomi fucked around with this message at 08:28 on May 15, 2013

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
My roommate had a PS3, and this was one of the first games he bought, neither one of us finished it though, and there's a used copy at the gamestop near here, maybe I'll play along.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Looking at this game I am sure I have seen the general "summon creature to attack by pressing a button" gameplay before. Since I don't remember what game it might just be that I played the demo years ago and am remembering that.
The story is definitely odder than the demo hinted at. So, this should be an interesting ride.

Lokimu
Nov 1, 2010
One of my favorite games that I never even knew existed until a couple years ago. Also probably the only time I've ever legitimately enjoyed motion controls, it just feels right. It's not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, but it oozes charm, has great mechanics, and a wonderful story. Game Republic unfortunately went under after Majin and Knights Contract, which is a shame as both were charming/fun games, but equally flawed.

JamTheAdo
Jan 8, 2013

Major_JF posted:

Looking at this game I am sure I have seen the general "summon creature to attack by pressing a button" gameplay before. Since I don't remember what game it might just be that I played the demo years ago and am remembering that.
The story is definitely odder than the demo hinted at. So, this should be an interesting ride.

Could it possibly be Lost Kingdoms? It was a bit more RPG-like and it was a card based game, but it's got that feel during battle.

Buried alive
Jun 8, 2009

JamTheAdo posted:

Could it possibly be Lost Kingdoms? It was a bit more RPG-like and it was a card based game, but it's got that feel during battle.

Could also be Chaos Legion. Different setting entirely, but it has a similar sort of summoning mechanic.

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
This game is so drat great, I love it. I honestly think this is one of the best PS3 games to ever come out of the console, and am continually flabbergasted at how under-the-radar it seems to fly. Every time I get a roommate who has a PS3, I buy them a copy of this game, just because it's that good. I've probably played through to completion about half a dozen times at this point, despite never having owned a PS3 myself.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Lokimu posted:

One of my favorite games that I never even knew existed until a couple years ago. Also probably the only time I've ever legitimately enjoyed motion controls, it just feels right. It's not a perfect game by any stretch of the imagination, but it oozes charm, has great mechanics, and a wonderful story. Game Republic unfortunately went under after Majin and Knights Contract, which is a shame as both were charming/fun games, but equally flawed.

They did Majin too? No wonder it felt so familiar. That's one I want to LP if this one goes as successfully as I'm hoping it will. I think the pace may be even slower, but at least full video with edits to cover backtracking is the guaranteed right way to go with that one. Still, it would be nice if they'd finished publishing the DLC for this. The missing content leaves sad-looking holes in my menus. So, to add a bit of content now that the thread is feeling rather populated, I see no point in delaying any longer, or in keeping a classic Keats line in reserve any longer than I have to!

Youtube

Sadly, despite the Transcension we saw in the last video, Keats' fighting style is almost exactly the same as Ellen's. There are a few differences, one of which I talk about at length in the video since there's nothing else to say about the combat yet, and Transcension is one that you have to save up for by snagging as many Ids as possible. I don't think I bothered to use it until the final chapter, either because I forgot I had it, or more likely, I was always saving it for a situation that never came up. Needless to say, I'll use it as often as I can during the LP, which could be as soon as the next chapter. Or it might not be for a long time! I have no idea, because from this moment...

IT'S YOUR TURN TO VOTE FOR WHOSE CHAPTER 1 WE PLAY FIRST!

I think Keats has a much better idea of what he needs to do than Ellen does at this point, but Ellen's a bit more focused on her goal - she's really just got one question - where her mother is - while Keats has many. Fortunately, they'll be crossing paths and comparing notes as they go, so both characters end up in the same place eventually. We'll see the chapter from both perspectives sooner or later, but for now, whose is sooner is up to you. I'll probably close the voting sometime on Saturday, unless one character takes a commanding lead before then or the voting's really close and we need a tiebreaker.

Aquasnake
Jan 30, 2013

"I... I did well, didn't I?"
I played a little of the demo of this once in a store around when it came out, I thought it was super cool, but never got a PS3. I keep pestering my friend who do has one to get it, but he keeps putting it off, at least I can watch it from this thread. I'm so happy to see this.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
I vote for Ellen because it seems like her's has all the set up and Keats follows up on it in his story.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

mateo360 posted:

I vote for Ellen because it seems like her's has all the set up and Keats follows up on it in his story.

That's definitely the case for the prologues, which is why I did them in this order (aside from it being difficult to start voting with no actual content), but I think from this point, there's a lot more interdependence between the two and considerably less of an impression that either should be experienced first.

Nidoking fucked around with this message at 11:26 on May 16, 2013

Captain Bravo
Feb 16, 2011

An Emergency Shitpost
has been deployed...

...but experts warn it is
just a drop in the ocean.
Nidoking, I can't believe you missed the most important difference between Keats' fighting style, and Ellens'. Keats Channels folk, and Ellen summons them. It's honestly kind of awesome how fully they integrate this into game, both plot-wise and gameplay-wise. Watch Ellen and Keats fighting again. Keats simply extends folk out from himself, augmenting his own attacks with their abilities. Ellen actually summons the folk to do the fighting for her. It's a nice touch, and I was disappointed you didn't point it out.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Nidoking posted:

That's definitely the case for the prologues, which is why I did them in this order (aside from it being difficult to start voting with no actual content), but I think from this point, there's a lot more interdependence between the two and considerably less of an impression that either should be experienced first.

Ah, I though maybe they were going to do the KH BBS thing where you can play the game in any order but you see a different part of the cut scene depending on who you are play at the time.

Major_JF
Oct 17, 2008
Let's say Keats.

Buried alive posted:

Could also be Chaos Legion. Different setting entirely, but it has a similar sort of summoning mechanic.

I think this might have been it. I never owned it so I don't fully remember. Thank you for trying.

judgementbringer
Oct 9, 2012
Oh man, I love this game. I think it was either the third or fourth game I bought for the PS3. I was actually debating doing an LP of this myself, but now I don't need to.

You should probably play as Ellen first. The story tends to work better that way in my opinion. Mostly because Keats is the one who tends to figure everything out. Personally I like Keats a lot better than Ellen. He's a lot more active in his investigation, where she tends to be really passive, despite having a stronger connection to the plot.

Nidoking
Jan 27, 2009

Captain Bravo posted:

Nidoking, I can't believe you missed the most important difference between Keats' fighting style, and Ellens'. Keats Channels folk, and Ellen summons them. It's honestly kind of awesome how fully they integrate this into game, both plot-wise and gameplay-wise. Watch Ellen and Keats fighting again. Keats simply extends folk out from himself, augmenting his own attacks with their abilities. Ellen actually summons the folk to do the fighting for her. It's a nice touch, and I was disappointed you didn't point it out.

I don't think I ever really noticed, or if I did, I forgot in the time since I played the majority of the game. It is a nice touch, though.

Sinner Sandwich
Oct 13, 2012
Going to vote for Keats. Can't just leave the purple trenchcoat hanging.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Ellen needs to find her mom, then Keats can explain why this is a bad thing.

Green Intern
Dec 29, 2008

Loon, Crazy and Laughable

Keats. I like the cut of his jib.

The Unlife Aquatic
Jun 17, 2009

Here in my car
I feel safest of all
I can lock all my doors
It's the only way to live
In cars
I'd rather see more from Keats simply because Belgae is much more likable then Scarecrow.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Nidoking posted:

I don't think I ever really noticed, or if I did, I forgot in the time since I played the majority of the game. It is a nice touch, though.

It's not just a nice touch, it makes them play completely different. All of Ellen's folk have to come out and then start doing something. Keats' folk start attacking the moment he does and in general he is much more mobile in combat.

dis astranagant fucked around with this message at 04:00 on May 16, 2013

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

I need more of the dapper, dapper Keats

Color me really intrigued by the whole thing, but I really like Keats.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

And here's the reason why Keats is fantastic. While his attacks aren't as whooshy as Ellen's (can be a downside. This game makes you commit to attacks once you start them) nor do they have her range, they are fast, and you can use them constantly due to his fuckawesome MT recovery. And while Ellen gets equips that have questionably useful effects, Keats gets a loving limit break. And when his meter is full, he gets glowing purple eyes and has purple energy drip out of his glasses and onto the floor.

Ellen, I think she does a good job of setting up the story while Keats fills in the blanks.

Panic! at Nabisco
Jun 6, 2007

it seemed like a good idea at the time
I think any more Ellen doing her Solid Snake impression (netherworld?! faerys?! folks?!) might drive me insane, so let's put it off for as long as possible and do more Keats.

Vyxzuw
Oct 16, 2012

Please stop shitposting in the Let's Play Dangan Ronpa thread!
I say Keats, that way you'll be able to show off his Transcension ability. Besides, he's awake while Ellen is still unconscious from fainting.

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms
Otacon Keats will solve the mystery!

December Octopodes
Dec 25, 2008

Christmas is coming
the squid is getting fat!
This is a punching mission and Keats is the man to do it.

Obscil
Feb 28, 2012

PLEASE LIKE ME!
Show me your teats keats.

Mzbundifund
Nov 5, 2011

I'm afraid so.
Let's go with Keats.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Umbilical Lotus
Nov 13, 2005

OH NO!!!! AXE CUT YOU!!!!
I cannot help myself but mention that one of my top favorite things about this LP is the enormous fuchsia :420: taking up half of every cutscene frame.

Oh, and let's see more Keats.

• Locked thread