Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Thanks for the support guys. Some days are easier than others, and I've had some hard days lately. I had a birthday a few days ago, my 35th, and it's starting to hit me that I might have less years in front of me than I do behind me. Every year thats getting statistically more likely.

Fo3 posted:

I'd probably stop drinking if I have any hope or future, or could smoke pot without any repercussions instead.

I realized I had a problem and started taking steps to deal with it before I ruined my life.

Delivery McGee posted:

I always wondered about rubberband tracks. So it works more or less like the serpentine belt on a car? Pull back the tension pulley, slip it over and crank it back out?

Do they make metal tracks for those? I would think just breaking the track, driving off/back on, and snapping it back together would be easier. Though I know metal track has plenty of downsides, too.

Edit: also I randomly thought of this thread at like 4:00 this morning, and suddenly got the joke of your username.

The tracks have steel cross bars, that's what the drive lugs engage on, and there's a good size steel cable inside each side too. The cables link the lugs and it's all rubber covered. They make steel tracks for bobcat brand machines, I haven't operated one, but I understand that it's a niche thing on a skid steer. If you need a big rear end skid steer on steel tracks, the job can usually be done better by a dozer. There's also some serious wear issues at higher speeds.

My machine will run just under 8 mph, Bobcats run 11 on wheels, 8-9 on rubber tracks and 6 on steel tracks, so there's also a speed advantage. I bet they sell a lot of steel tracks on forestry only machines up north where they use big skids with mulch heads, but I haven't seen one in the wild here.

You've got the basic concept of how to roll it back on, but it's a little harder to do in reality.

You're the first person since I registered to get it. :)

edit: 11:10pm, I have a Compost stealing Racoon in one live trap, and a second trap still baited. A second coon has been sighted in the area, and he's tried to rescue his buddy/lover.
total catch so far:
1 Racoon (he was tried and convicted of compost theft. awaiting his date with his maker in the morning.)
2 cats, both released back into the wild.

edit2:
Total trap count:
2 coons, neither will be a problem ever again.

Kicked rear end sawing this morning and got some good footage. I have some errands to run, hopefully I can finish the editing later and upload it. I've got a bunch of pics too, just need to sort them all and tell some sort of a story instead of a random pic blast with just captions.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 7, 2013

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I bet plenty got it haven't said anything. At least it's meaningful, and congrats.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Used Sunlight sales posted:

edit: 11:10pm, I have a Compost stealing Racoon in one live trap, and a second trap still baited. A second coon has been sighted in the area, and he's tried to rescue his buddy/lover.
total catch so far:
1 Racoon (he was tried and convicted of compost theft. awaiting his date with his maker in the morning.)

edit2:
Total trap count:
2 coons, neither will be a problem ever again.
Where do you stand with these things? Are they considered vermin, and it's illegal to release them if caught, or is it up to you what you do with them?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Cakefool, I never really planned on making a thread like this when I bought my account. (the how, why and the day I bought my account will make for a good story I think. )
the name is clever and witty and I love it for this setting. I don't think many people get it, but I bet there's a lot that do.

InitialDave posted:

Where do you stand with these things? Are they considered vermin, and it's illegal to release them if caught, or is it up to you what you do with them?

Racoons are vermin and a disease vector. They are very clever and master thieves.

They can teach others by demonstration and have an excellent memory.

Once they start getting in to your trash/compost/catfood/etc, they will go to the easiest source of food. In my case, for now that's my compost bin. There's still more of them on the loose that know about my compost bin, so the traps are getting reset tonight.

I guess the answer to your question is no one cares about them, and mostly, there isn't any loving bleeding heart tree hugging clueless morons to tell me that it's cruel to shoot the coons, so I do what I want.

I use live traps because kill traps can catch a lot of stuff that you would rather be left alive.

Ferremit
Sep 14, 2007
if I haven't posted about MY LANDCRUISER yet, check my bullbars for kangaroo prints

I worked out the name cos I'm in the same business part time, except I sell woolly used sunlight instead.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
My woman and I have a pretty fair size garden, (I can post pics if someone wants) and general household trash has it's own set of problems when you live where we live. So we have a compost barrel. It's pretty cool until the frickin Raccoons figure out how to open it, pull out all the rotting things that are composting while looking for food treasures.

So traps,

Caught this one last night

And the second sometime after we went to bed.

Happy red dog is happy.

Found a giant rear end beetle cruising around the other day.

That's 5.5 kVDC BTW, showing a small current drop. How the arrow points towards it faults is some sort of electronic devilry that I will never understand. How the frick does it make ONE point of contact on the wire and grounding through a metal plate on the back, through my hand, body, boots and ground and know which way I need to look on the fence?

Maybe the wrong thread, but it's the right subforum. 27hp, 54 inch deck JD 830A. It's a badass lawn mower, still takes 3 hours to mow everything that we mow here. And I loving HATE mowing.

SOme more AI content? sure, I can do that.
Here's tensioning the tracks...

You have to lift the front off the ground. The book says to use jacks. I say jacks are for suckers. I say the machine has built in hydraulic jacks. I operate this machine daily and I am well aware of how fast the cylinders and valves leak and which way. Not 100% engineering approved, but I'm way out in the brush and you gotta make do.

Front up, tracks loose like your mom after a frat party.

All tightened up again.

Well that doesn't look TOO bad...

Ever seen a machine with tracks at full power in reverse still sliding downhill? No? I have seen it from the drivers seat.

That was hairy as hell by the way. The fun part? There's a pond at the bottom of the hill.

I didn't get that on video because I had the camera set up to catch both pop and I working today since I knew that we were going to be in the same area. One of the times in the video that I leave frame is when I go cut that muddy wet hillside.

Video you say? Oh, a link. Here ya go. http://youtu.be/D2odzR-tHw4

Enjoy.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

there isn't any loving bleeding heart tree hugging morons to tell me that it's cruel to shoot the coons,

Well if you keep taking the trees down there won't be any :v:

The Locator
Sep 12, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Video you say? Oh, a link. Here ya go. http://youtu.be/D2odzR-tHw4

Enjoy.

Those are some pretty good size trees.

Do you do anything with them after they are cut?

Do you selectively cut just the cedar, or everything? In the early part, it looked like at least one of the trees that went down was a different type of tree from most.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

Ever seen a machine with tracks at full power in reverse still sliding downhill? No? I have seen it from the drivers seat.

Where I am we sometimes take out rhododendrons by sliding a big forestry tractor down a hill. It's all steep clay here, and those big machines can get going FAST in the wet. One rolled a few years ago, thankfully the one forester who wears his seatbelt, and I think we had to build a road to get in all the kit to winch it back upright.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

At least you kept the mud on the hill and not in your pants.

In all seriousness, it's a lovely (no pun intended) situation to be in. As far as I've seen it, though, the only thing worse than sliding down it in reverse is sliding down sideways when you know you're topheavy.

shy boy from chess club
Jun 11, 2008

It wasnt that bad, after you left I got to help put out the fire!

This thread turned out way awesome and its a much bigger dump truck than I thought, mine are just little baby one-tons. I drive ZTRs for a living and losing traction on a hill is the scariest thing since there is not much you can do except ride it out. Last time it happened to me I almost went over a 3-4 foot drop onto a road but I managed to save it in time, it was a wicked pucker moment. I own a landscaping company and your job is very similar to mine but on a much larger scale, I'm always either working or fixing a piece of my equipment or trucks. Going out right now to fix one of my tractors, its running lean and backfiring huge flameballs out the muffler that are louder than a rifle shot.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved

Cakefool posted:

Well if you keep taking the trees down there won't be any :v:

I'll leave some, I'll need more firewood eventually. Speaking of that, it's about time to start that loving adventure for the year too. ugh. Who wants a time lapse of me processing firewood by myself with suboptimal splitting device?

The Locator posted:

Those are some pretty good size trees.

Do you do anything with them after they are cut?

Do you selectively cut just the cedar, or everything? In the early part, it looked like at least one of the trees that went down was a different type of tree from most.

I'd love to break in to the cedar biomass business. There's a lot of trees that need to be cut, it's a shame to let them go to waste. I want to find a way to process them in one or two steps and have a saleable products. I have a few ideas.

Billy Tully posted:

This thread turned out way awesome and its a much bigger dump truck than I thought, mine are just little baby one-tons. I drive ZTRs for a living and losing traction on a hill is the scariest thing since there is not much you can do except ride it out. Last time it happened to me I almost went over a 3-4 foot drop onto a road but I managed to save it in time, it was a wicked pucker moment. I own a landscaping company and your job is very similar to mine but on a much larger scale, I'm always either working or fixing a piece of my equipment or trucks. Going out right now to fix one of my tractors, its running lean and backfiring huge flameballs out the muffler that are louder than a rifle shot.

I enjoy playing in the dirt and making stuff. I'm pretty good at it and I think that eventually I'll be able to make a pile of money doing it. The amount of calls I have had from neighbors about hauling for them has been pretty unexpected. At least three times a week I get a call. I really need to get my rear end in gear with that truck and get tags on it. There's money to be made and favors to earn. Having (Ted) Turner ranches in your debt is never a bad thing. Yeah, that guy with the steak buffalo restaurants.

There's something to be said about working outside in the fresh air all day. I love it.

I didn't mention it, but I got 31 more Guineas last friday to replace the ones that ran away. Well, five died today, I think I figured out why and I will know in the morning.

My woman and I went out to check things on the ranch this afternoon and then go cruise around in the Rzr all day and goof off.

1pm, everything is cool.
3pm, fences are blown out, voltage on the wire is 600 volts and the cows are spread out between five different paddocks.
6pm, fences fixed, ground fault found and fixed, 7,000 volts on the wire and the cows are where they are supposed be.

poo poo like that only happens on a sunday. Only on a sunday.

All we wanted to do was goof off for a bit and go fishing. Oh well.

I have to get my spray rig back out and ready, it's time to spray some brush. I'll show you and explain in a future post about all that crap.
It's been a long frickin day and I'm going to bed.

Squeeze
Jul 23, 2012
Checking in from Finland. This thread is awesome.

I was wondering if you could plant some other trees there, but then I sort of realised that the trees that I know of (birch, spruce etc..) wouldn't really work in your environment.

Having that much land to maintain is hard for me to fathom, how do you keep track of what you've done and what needs to be attended next? How do you make a schedule for yourself so you still have time to do other stuff?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
It's been an interesting week. Not much dump truckin or tree killin, just lots and lots of cowtastrophes. Including writing this post twice, because I can't remember how to properly switch tabs. :suicide:

Squeeze, I've been working at this most of my life I just kind of know what needs to be done. I have a room that I'm converting to an office at a basically glacial pace, I have things written on the walls and a couple of white boards around to remind me too. I work until I can't work anymore or everything that needs to be done that day is done. I've had some long days this week putting cows back where they belong.

I trapped some more Raccoons in my yard.

That makes a total of four. I've kept the traps out for a week now and there hasn't been anything else so I think I'm good and our compost pile is safe again.

I picked up blades for my pop's mower and helped him change them last week.

His is a 48 inch 17hp I think, still takes him 2 1/2 hours to cut his grass. We have a 54 inch, 27hp beast and it takes 3 hours to get around it all. Weed eating? yeah, that's a three hour project to do it properly. The hotter it gets, the less fucks I give about keeping my yard looking decent. Who wants to spend three hours in the blazing rear end 115 degree heat and dust mowing when you've already been out in the heat most of the day.

I would happily trade room/board for a yard and garden worker. I also have a greenhouse kit that I bought and we're going to put it up soon.

I saw this guy the other day, anyone got details?

How about some ranchy poo poo?
The oil companies are supposed to maintain their fences to keep cattle out of their pumping units and tank batteries.

How's that going. :argh:

Just another minor cowtastrophe.

Moving mineral tubs, I use a different rig most of the time, it just happened to be the easiest way to do it that day.

That big black shiny plastic tub still had about 90lbs of product. FML.

I had to go deal with a broken pipe on my last remaining windmill.
What's a windmill?

That's a windmill. Wind turns blades, motor box at the top turns the rotation into reciprocation and jacks the pump at the end of the rod up and down.
The white tank is filled from the 10,000 gallon tank (silver) in the background. When the foreground tank is full it feeds the lower tank that the cows have actually been drinking on.
I can also fill the giant storage tank off of the ranch's south water system.

Someday I am going to be forced to drain that tank and clean it out. Maybe next time I have have an intern. :evil: That's evil nasty shovel work.

The brakes on the windmill motor didn't work over the winter and it let water freeze in the standpipe.

Look for the most vertical pipe, that's it.

Here's the damage:

I closed up the gap a bit

And then I fixed it, with silicone and fiberglass. And I will be damned if I can find those pics.

So that brings to me to today's disasters. First thing the cows come north through the water trap, root cause?

This fence charger somehow came open while still attached to the post, the battery got knocked out and somehow it reclosed and latched itself. :wtf:
It took me a few minutes to figure out what was going on. It stormed last night, so that explains it. It also explains this.

Which I have to explain to you is the fence between the 267 pairs that I have and my neighbors 40 pair. Notice the missing gate? During the storm they broke it down.

I patched it up real quick with scavenged wire. I know where bits and stashes of wire are around. You finish your repairs generally at a corner or other brace and usually whatever extra supplies I have already cut out, I'll loop around the center brace post. Not all of them, but enough that it saves me a few trips to HQ for supplies a year.

A patch job will hold the cows for a few minutes. I ran to HQ to get some supplies to fix it right.

Then I called the neighbor and my cowboy crew and spent all day pasture cutting and sorting out the neighbors. It was a long long day, but hey, it was only 87. :dance:

A little more fence repair.

It's been a really really long day.

let me know if the images are all working, I'm having cache issues.

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006
Images are all working for me.

Sinestro
Oct 31, 2010

The perfect day needs the perfect set of wheels.

This one is weirdly redacted.

InterceptorV8
Mar 9, 2004

Loaded up and trucking.We gonna do what they say cant be done.

I saw this guy the other day, anyone got details?

I see those guys all the time. Fucker must have got lost and ended up down there. Not every day you get Royalty down there is it? Strange thing is they aren't an Idaho Company.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
So there's more than one Potato King. I'll remember that next time that guy tries to use 'royal privilege' to cut in front at Taco Bell.

He was on US HWY 54/400, I was out of my territory, not him most likely.

edit so I don't double post...

How's your day going?
Here's mine.

I might have gotten a little rowdy, couldn't see what was going on though.

Made it back to the landing and shutdown. Parts from John Deere are on order, so I guess I don't get to cut trees today. I was in the groove and kicking rear end though.

Used Sunlight sales fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Jun 19, 2013

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
All my parts finally showed up at JD yesterday, so I'm heading up there in a little bit to get them.
Yeah, it's sunday, but it's also wheat harvest. Everyone has extended hours around here, especially tractor stealerships during harvest.

I haven't got much done between waiting on parts and putting cows back in almost every day. A week ago I got tired of the poo poo and just started building new fence when they broke down the old instead of patching the wire. These cows have a wonderful ability to find every single weak spot in all of my fences. It's getting annoying.

My face is fried, I've got blisters on my nose. Only about 2 weeks early this year. I'm also getting another 253 cows tomorrow (monday.)

Sup with you guys?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

A week ago I got tired of the poo poo and just started building new fence when they broke down the old instead of patching the wire. These cows have a wonderful ability to find every single weak spot in all of my fences. It's getting annoying.
This is the facial expression I imagine you carrying:

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
It's been fairly busy the last couple weeks, I'll hit some of the high spots.

Initialdave, that's probably not far off, it did make me laugh the first time I saw it. :)

After I got my cutter back in action my buddy Coop called and needed a little help cutting wheat.

Not his combine or operation, but you get the idea.

This is Wheat, specifically, hard red winter wheat. Its one of the few crops that you can grab some right out of the harvester and eat. Make sure you grind it up with your molars really good though.

I got to spend a little time with this beast. It's an old rear end Ford 9000, ten speed with a 6-71 Detroit that's been turned up just a bit.

Step one get it started and get the air building and a/c working.
Step two, get out, and get back in and slam your hand in the door.
step three cuss truck.
Step four if you've got air and you're pissed at the truck you're in the right frame of mind to drive 650 bushels to the elevator.

Each bushel weighs about 60lbs, I can't recall what it weighs empty, but I think I have seen gross weights well north of the 56,000 pounds it's supposed to be weigh. maybe 60 and a little bit. Not my deal, I'm just the bus driver.

Last year test weights were a bunch higher, like in the 64 lb/bu range. I know a guy that broke his semi trailer in loving half one his first load of the year because of the heavy wheat.

I can get it into 10th gear at the end of the first mile, just keep that old detroit screaming about 2,000 and bounce the rev limiter on every shift. Not how I drive my truck, but thats how he told me to drive this one. Coop is a genius mechanic, former Navy man and Detroit expert. If he says run the piss out of it and use the rev limiter to shift off of, by god, i'll do it.

What's an elevator you say?

This is what the elevator I am heading to looks like from a short mile away. Maybe more like 3/4 of a mile.

To get in there you have to go all the way to the north end of town, east two blocks and then back south down main street. Main street in this little burg is left hand traffic whenever the elevator is open. Two years ago the line to get to the scales was three hours long, trucks were stacked 2 wide on Main street, four blocks long. That sucked dick.

In the pic the elevator is to my extreme right, the truck in front of me has to go where the Yellow T600 is pulling out of. The scales are bi-directional, and they have a robot sampling arm so they don't have to come out and scoop some wheat by hand out of your truck.

There's a pretty good routine and everyone knows it. Most guys are really good at alternating weigh ins and outs, every once in awhile you get a cock that line jumps. Name and shame on channel 14 and he's basically hosed over for the rest of harvest because NO one will cut him a break.

Everyone is in a rush to get done, but they can only unload trucks so fast. Last year when the lines got bad they would open a second pit to dump in.

My turn next to weigh in and get my gross weight.

[picture redacted, it's got a town name in it.]

Off the scales and a HARD left turn, then cut back to the right and curl around the new silos to line up for the pit.

That's a semi trailer in front of me, they just have doors at the bottom and the grain flows out. In Coop's old Ford, it's a dump bed. You can't feature that I know how to operate one of those, right?
Things are a little busy at the pit, pay attention to what they are telling you to do, do it as crisply as possible. Get in, get dumped, get the gently caress out, get paid.

On the way out:

Waiting my turn to weigh out. You can see how tight the corners are, the red Kenworth has to make that hard left hand turn as he is coming off the scales. I have to come out of that door totally straight, there's about 6 inches clearance on either side to my mirrors, and the back of the truck is a long ways away. Hard to see in the picture, but the sides are very scarred up from noob drivers that can't handle their poo poo.

I weigh out and haul rear end back to the field for another load.

Rinse lather repeat, there's fairly little drama during wheat harvest, at least that's how you want things to go. I had a small medical thing come up and I had to go get sliced on so spent most of Harvest time at home recuperating.

This is pretty cool, my neighbor and business partner had his first son last week, one of our mutual friends made these for him.

Little baby spurs with his brand on them. Badass gift and keepsake for a long time. Those spurs are 100% hand made, the letters are free hand cut, tooled and soldered on.

Here's some of the poo poo I deal with.

The pond got so low that the cows walked around the end of the fence panel and went to the next pasture. fuckin cows.

A rusted through post was part of the problem.

Half hour and poo poo load of ticks later:

No kidding, I picked seven ticks off me that day. Including one out of my beard. :stonk:

There was also this, I think it's an abandoned Beaver lodge, at least the entrance anyway. Next time I have some explosives I might have to check.

Speaking of beavers here's a drat dam dammit. It's a couple miles away from the abandoned lodge.

It's easily holding three feet of water back.

I've been having problems keeping my machine cool enough while cutting in the brush. I just got up and started earlier and got done when I couldn't keep it cool anymore.
Well the a/c started working like poo poo, down on power and overheating.

With a solid 1/3 of the engine radiator looking like this I don't possibly understand why it's running hot.

So I rigged up a mobile soap dispensing pressure washer, hauled all the poo poo out to the landing to work on the machine. It's not bad to drive a pickup or ute back in there, but it huffs cock to haul anything out on a trailer.
Here's my set up.

I was cleaning the front side of the coolers and saw this cute little guy.

Not sure what happened to him, but he either got out, got hot or drowned.

Three of the four U joints were out on the rear of our Kubota 1100. It's a pretty important rig, mostly because my pops can tool around in it all day and not waste 30 gallons of diesel. It keeps him occupied so it's worth the price.

On jack stands for :safety:

Wheels off, Sam is supervising and reading the procedure out of the book for me.

Rear axle out and half shaft out, it goes where the blue towel is.

Look very closely at the joints. Yeah, they were pretty bad, it sounded pretty gross, but I haven't had time to get to it for awhile.

On the left is the inner half. The three sided plate is the sealing surface against the trans and the splined shaft gets it's torque from the main differential.
In the vise is the outer half, I only had to do one of these. The hub end has splines and threads. The end with the boot slides into the yoke on the other half shaft.

I tried beating, cussing pounding and then finally I said gently caress it and get the cutting torch. I really need to build/buy a bearing press. :sigh:

after I gas axed the spiders out, the loving caps were stuck in.

Torched that poo poo right out.

I cleaned up the bores with a fine grit stone and started putting U joints in.

Ready to go back in.

Assemble in reverse order. Man, I hate it when a manual tells me that. And it never fails that there is some sort of trick to get it done right. I've done this job more than once so it's not that hard, just some of the poo poo is fairly bulky. That was this morning. I've been starting around 5:30 because it's not hot as gently caress until about noon. I can usually kick enough rear end in six hours I can come home and sit in the a/c for most of the rest of the day.

Two of my favorite tools are my gas axe. :black101:

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
2 things!

What is up with this lovely little yellow piece of machinery in the back ground?

Also from what all the old school guys say is that Detroit's really need to be revved to make decent power. Looks like the local CO-OP is served by rail... what RR serves it?

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Kuncks, just because it's you....http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kansas_and_Oklahoma_Railroad

I had to look it up real fast.

I think that yellow thing is called a Corvette if I'm not mistaken. That one is of the 03 vintage. Nothing special, removable hardtop, six speed.
It's my pop's car. Currently parked in the ranch shop because of Chevy's fantastic ability to gently caress up the smallest things, like how to properly build a six way adjustable seat on the passenger side. I don't have a better picture of it because I haven't been working on it. Pop's not a guy to really modify much of anything. He's got good taste.
I do however have a fantastic picture of his other car.

A 1963 Stingray split window. :flashfap:

In red.

With mag wheels.

He had it restored in the mid 90's out in Colorado at the Corvette center. Mostly just gone through, wear items replaced or repaired, added a/c, a decent radio, new rear leaf springs and an amazeballs paint job. I got to drive it most of the way home, 7 hours when I was 17. That was a fun trip. :)

340hp 327cid. All original.

I think the only other mods are a closer ratio trans and a short shifter.

He has been offered truly obscene amounts of money for it and refuses to sell. I wouldn't either, he's had it since 1964, as the second owner. He bought it with less than five thousand miles on it. How about that?

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
Man I really like the way those wheels look on that car. God drat perfect.

Yeah... GM really had some piss rear end quality, and you would even think the "halo" car would have some decent quality control.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I was just thinking this morning... "what's dumptruck dude been up to?" and figured you were busy as hell with harvest or murdering trees.

Little U-joint trick for you here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9PpR-DcRV08

Been using this method for years to keep my fleet of janky trucks and other 4x4s on the road and it hasn't failed me once.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I too use the thor method, always have. There are just those times that three years of daily exposure to dust, dirt, a little moisture rust welds poo poo together.

Or I just like using my cutting torch too much. I simply didn't have enough power to beat them out this time. It happens.

I've had two calls today about dump trucking, :dance: so I am getting things scheduled for later in the season when it cools off. I get up early and do ranch work so I can goof off all day while it's hot.

Back to killing trees soon, the weather is bad for doing much of anything this time of year, it's 80 at dawn and gets worse from there. I still might have to haul the pressure washer set up back over to the landing to wash my a/c evaporator.

I'm basically dealing with visitors for the next two days, so yay me.

Knucks, every thing that goes wrong with that yellow car he always says "well there's a bunch of guys on the internet with the same problem, and this is how to fix it..." every single time.

:commisar:

I have some things I spend money on that not everyone appreciates, so to each his own I guess. The red one will stay in the family no matter what though.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

I too use the thor method, always have. There are just those times that three years of daily exposure to dust, dirt, a little moisture rust welds poo poo together.

Or I just like using my cutting torch too much. I simply didn't have enough power to beat them out this time. It happens.

I've had two calls today about dump trucking, :dance: so I am getting things scheduled for later in the season when it cools off. I get up early and do ranch work so I can goof off all day while it's hot.

Back to killing trees soon, the weather is bad for doing much of anything this time of year, it's 80 at dawn and gets worse from there. I still might have to haul the pressure washer set up back over to the landing to wash my a/c evaporator.

I'm basically dealing with visitors for the next two days, so yay me.

Knucks, every thing that goes wrong with that yellow car he always says "well there's a bunch of guys on the internet with the same problem, and this is how to fix it..." every single time.

:commisar:

I have some things I spend money on that not everyone appreciates, so to each his own I guess. The red one will stay in the family no matter what though.

We had a trick for A/C evaporators that involved an insecticide sprayer pressure bottle and a long hose with a mounted nozzle aimed towards the evap. When things got a bit warm, pump the handle a few times, and bask in double efficient A/C until you need to pump it again. Mounting simply involved duct tape. You have many more fancy things than we did.

Ponies ate my Bagel
Nov 25, 2006

by T. Finninho
Awesome thread, it brings back a lot of good (and bad) memories. My grandpa owned a construction business for several years digging ponds, rebuilding dams and all that. Another vote here for Redwing boots. I've had the same pair for about 7 years now. My grandpa has 2 pairs that are 30+ years old, when they wear out he switches to the other pair and sends them in to be reworked. I really miss having lots of land and equipment to play on, but I don't miss hauling feed and the harvest. I did a lot of cotton, tobacco and peanuts when I was back home in GA. Now I'm in kommieofrnia and although the weather is nice I miss everything about home except the heat and humidity.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
So far I'm pretty impressed with the Carolina boots I got at the start of June. They're getting a bit dinged up but that's mostly because they are steel toes and I'm clumsy. Given the fact they cost 30% less than the Timpros I got in a brick and mortar store last time and seem more durable, I'd buy them again.

I should have figured you knew the hammer/vise method for U-joints already!

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot
What did I say about Carolina's? They are the cats rear end.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
I didn't take anyone's advice, I bought a pair of Rocky's. Steel toe, square toed cowboy boots. I got tired of untying and retying my loving boots ten times a day.

Pretty good so far, I got them on clearance so they are extra good for the money.

User Error
Aug 31, 2006
I've yet to find a pair of boots that last me longer than a year, Rockies included. The Timberlands on my feet are about 9 months old and I'm going to replace them before long.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
Welp.

Down another couple days waiting for parts.

Totally my fault, focused on the blade and put a tree branch right through the front glass. :derp:

I got a couple pieces in my right eye, had to go to the optometrist to get them out. Just minor fragments, and some superficial scratches. I'm ok. :) Just a little red eye.

e: The PRK that I got in the Navy is still good 12 years later :woop: 20/20 in both eyes.

solarNativity
Nov 11, 2012

Ouch. At least you weren't hurt too bad. How much does a new windscreen run you?

thebigcow
Jan 3, 2001

Bully!
An unnecessarily high amount of money going by my experience.

rscott
Dec 10, 2009
Just order some lexan from Grainger and some screws, it'll be fine

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
Yeah, I have to wonder why the windows aren't polycarbonate in the first place? I know it scratches easily, but bomb-blast or anti-vandal film fixes that.

Vindolanda
Feb 13, 2012

It's just like him too, y'know?

InitialDave posted:

Yeah, I have to wonder why the windows aren't polycarbonate in the first place? I know it scratches easily, but bomb-blast or anti-vandal film fixes that.

I asked one of the foresters around us about having lexan windows, and he said he'd prefer ones he could kick out, since where we are the terrain can cause rollovers easily. Not sure if that's the reason the manufacturers have.

Used Sunlight sales
Jun 5, 2006

Warfighter Approved
New glass and seal from JD was 240.

A new polycarb door is 750. and they last about as long in the brush as glass, but they scratch really easy and when you stop cutting trees and need to do dirt work, it's too scratched.

The Deere and bobcat sales people tell people to not get the poly carb if they are going to be sawing trees. A lot of guys have tried them and everyone has gone back to glass doors.

In other news, I dropped a 125lb tub of crystallized cow mineral and protein on my left leg. I didn't break it, but that was 5 full days ago and it still hurts like a bastard. It's still swollen up, and all sorts of interesting colors. I'll post pics later, I promise, it's too gruesome to not share.

Today was my first full day back at work and all hell broke loose last night weather wise. Ridiculous wind, insane hail and rain like I have never seen before in my life. I would rather go through a cat 4 hurricane again than have another storm like last night. I've got about a thousand acres, coincidentally where the fuckin cows are standing that is stripped bare. 80% loss of forage. Never seen anything like it.

I've got some pics, but mostly I am tired, sore and covered in mud. I'll share, I promise, just not right now. It's been a very very long day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Not Wolverine
Jul 1, 2007

New glass and seal from JD was 240.

A new polycarb door is 750. and they last about as long in the brush as glass, but they scratch really easy and when you stop cutting trees and need to do dirt work, it's too scratched.

The Deere and bobcat sales people tell people to not get the poly carb if they are going to be sawing trees. A lot of guys have tried them and everyone has gone back to glass doors.

In other news, I dropped a 125lb tub of crystallized cow mineral and protein on my left leg. I didn't break it, but that was 5 full days ago and it still hurts like a bastard. It's still swollen up, and all sorts of interesting colors. I'll post pics later, I promise, it's too gruesome to not share.

Today was my first full day back at work and all hell broke loose last night weather wise. Ridiculous wind, insane hail and rain like I have never seen before in my life. I would rather go through a cat 4 hurricane again than have another storm like last night. I've got about a thousand acres, coincidentally where the fuckin cows are standing that is stripped bare. 80% loss of forage. Never seen anything like it.

I've got some pics, but mostly I am tired, sore and covered in mud. I'll share, I promise, just not right now. It's been a very very long day.

That just seems odd that the glass doesn't have the same safety film as like the front windshield of a car. You can take a car's windshield and roll it into a tube, fold it into a box or whatever and the glass will all remain in one crushed up piece. For that matter, I would guess you might be able to get some window tint film and put on a few layers and that might stop or reduce the shower of glass effect.

• Locked thread