Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«7 »
SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

http://openxcom.org

What's X-COM?

X-COM is a series of strategy videogames originally started by Microprose in 1994, where the player takes control of an organization to fight off an alien menace invading Earth. You have to handle both micromanagement as you take care of your bases, soldiers, crafts, research and manufacture while keeping an eye on alien activity around the globe; as well as tactical turn-based, where you take control of your soldiers on ground assaults against the aliens, controlling their every action to ensure victory.

It's arguably one of the best strategy games ever made, and while I could wax nostalgia about it forever, this thread is about OpenXcom, so I must move on and hope that if you're checking this thread you are at least familiar with it. If not, maybe you should go check it out? Maybe try out the new game too? I hear it's pretty cool.

So what is OpenXcom then?

Much like other Open* games, OpenXcom is all about taking the original game and making it better. It's for the hardcore fans that don't mind dusty graphics and a baffling interface, as long as they still get the gameplay they've always loved. It takes away the need for DOSBox and fan patches, gets rid of all the nasty bugs and limits, ports it to various platforms, and tops it all off with various improvements to make sure you can keep on playing the original as long as you want.

You can only really get a feel for these when playing it, but here's a bunch of screenshots to keep you interested, as well as a non-exhaustive list of changes and improvements.

Didn't this already have a thread? What's changed since?

You are correct, I posted a thread about OpenXcom long ago when I first started working on it, but it fell into the archives as I got too busy to keep posting development updates.

But that's long gone now, everything's changed! More developers! New website! And with the release of 0.9, OpenXcom is fully playable! Every original feature is here, and more! Beat the game from start to end! Kick your old copy of X-COM to the curve! Well don't actually, you're still gonna need it to play this.

I'm sold, where can I get it?

You can download it right here. The game is available for Windows, Mac, and various Linux distributions I've never even heard of.

You need a copy of the original game to run it. If you're a Windows user with an X-COM Steam copy, installation should be quick and painless, but just in case make sure to read all the instructions.

If you need more details just check out the website, it's got plenty more information that would just clutter this OP. But if something's not covered, feel free to ask, or even use this as a general "Original X-COM" thread since those always tend to die.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at Sep 21, 2013 around 16:15

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

So, there are absolutely no disadvantages to OpenXcom anymore? I've been holding back on giving it a shot until it was more or less in a "complete" state, so this is pretty exciting.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

So if this is complete, why is it 0.9 and not 1.0?

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

Yup, that's a skjold all right.

I was gonna say, what remains to be done to bring it up to 1.0?

This is cool beans though, I've been supportive of your project for a while now! Have you tweeted Jake Solomon about it?

enigma74
Aug 5, 2005
a lean lobster who probably doesn't even taste good.

Wow, this finally came out! I don't have time to try it now, but downloading now. I actually thought that this project had died, it's been so long.

Danith
May 19, 2006
I've lurked here for years

Does it work with TFTD (my favorite)

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

At the Heart of the city is an Alien horror, so vile and so powerful that not even death can claim it.

raditts posted:

So if this is complete, why is it 0.9 and not 1.0?
Just a safety margin. It's "feature-complete", but everytime we put out a new version we get a whole bunch of new bug reports from people that only decided to test it now, so this way we actually have a chance to fix and polish everything before the actual 1.0.

Danith posted:

Does it work with TFTD (my favorite)
Not yet.

Rexides
Jul 25, 2011

Are there any mods that let you assign equipment directly to soldiers instead fo aircraft? Because that's the only feature that's keeping me from going back (Apocalypse spoilt me)

edit:vvvvvv

SupSuper posted:

Any equipment you assign to soldiers pre-battle is saved so you don't need to keep doing it, but we haven't made it accessible from the Geoscape yet.
Good enough

Rexides fucked around with this message at May 14, 2013 around 14:12

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Rexides posted:

Are there any mods that let you assign equipment directly to soldiers instead fo aircraft? Because that's the only feature that's keeping me from going back (Apocalypse spoilt me)
Any equipment you assign to soldiers pre-battle is saved so you don't need to keep doing it, but we haven't made it accessible from the Geoscape yet.

Apoplexy
Mar 9, 2003

It's been far too long since I last played X-COM. Thanks a bunch for making this!

GazChap
Dec 4, 2004

I'm hungry. Feed me.

This is awesome.

I've not really tried it for any length of time, but even just the radar detection overlay when placing the base is a massive improvement.

Cheers, SupSuper (and all concerned!)

0lives
Nov 1, 2012

I've just tried this out for a bit, so far it's really cool. Some feedback;

All the different shader options are very neat, I was pretty tempted to play with scanlines on.
The radar overlay is indeed a great help when placing bases.
The little UI touches, like being able to right-click things to move whole stacks of items is very well done.

Many little things that are all very much appreciated. Makes the age of the game less apparent. Thanks for making this! Some problems I had though, the auto-scrolling on the combat map was just really broken, sometimes I couldn't scroll up, or it would scroll in a different direction than what I was pushing towards. Click-and-drag scrolling works fine though, so I can just use that. Also, how do you quit the game from within the combat map? Maybe I'm just blind but I could not find a way to quit out, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to close the game from within the combat map. Anyway, good job, and I hope to play more later!

SALT CURES HAM
Jan 3, 2011

SupSuper posted:

Just a safety margin. It's "feature-complete", but everytime we put out a new version we get a whole bunch of new bug reports from people that only decided to test it now, so this way we actually have a chance to fix and polish everything before the actual 1.0.

Unless you're planning on not working on it at all after 1.0, you could just release patches.

JerksNeedLoveToo
Nov 12, 2006

WickedIcon posted:

Unless you're planning on not working on it at all after 1.0, you could just release patches.

Come on now, he's trying to be a professional and release a well-tested, feature complete piece of software. This is a real effort, not some half-assed EA-esque release.

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

Happiness is the legal tender of the soul. -Robert Green Ingersoll

I tried this out a day or two ago, and it was pretty sweet. One question though, what are the differences between the different rendering modes? Is there some sort of screen shot comparison page I can view? I've encountered a couple of these with MAME and other emulators, but there's tons to choose from.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

Pvt.Scott posted:

I tried this out a day or two ago, and it was pretty sweet. One question though, what are the differences between the different rendering modes? Is there some sort of screen shot comparison page I can view? I've encountered a couple of these with MAME and other emulators, but there's tons to choose from.
There are some descriptions here, though I have no idea how they actually work either, I'm pretty sure everyone just keeps copying them off the next emulator in a never-ending cycle.

I took some screenshots for your convenience though, in 4x resolution (1280x800):

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 16, 2004

I like pixels in my old school 2D games so I just went with the openXcom filter. It's smoother, fairly crisp, doesn't do too much.

Also, for some reason the game crashes whenever I try to change the resolution in windowed mode. It doesn't crash when I apply the resolution change, but when I click the arrow. I have to switch to full screen, select the resolution I want, then go back to windowed. I have a Phenom II X4, Radeon 6870, on Windows 8.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Yo dawg
I herd you like tea

It crashed the first time I did that but not the second.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Wonderful! Absolutely wonderful!

But does building your base in Russia still make it undetectable for the aliens?

h_double
Jul 27, 2001

"Mac OS X 10.7.x required. "

Any chance you could get it to run on 10.6.8? Lots of people are still running Snow Leopard.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

SupSuper posted:

There are some descriptions here, though I have no idea how they actually work either, I'm pretty sure everyone just keeps copying them off the next emulator in a never-ending cycle.

I took some screenshots for your convenience though, in 4x resolution (1280x800):

I don't know if it's a bug on my end only or not, but I figure I'll post it here first. I was playing around with the filters and stuff, and noticed if I put my resolution to my maximum (1680x1050) and chose to have no filter and make it fullscreen, I got the "rainbow color" bug that older games tend to have. (see Fallout) Turning on a filter fixes it, but I'm not sure if it's my machine or something else causing this.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

h_double posted:

"Mac OS X 10.7.x required. "

Any chance you could get it to run on 10.6.8? Lots of people are still running Snow Leopard.
It's not that OpenXcom doesn't run on older versions, just that app bundle. I don't do the Mac ports, but I think you have to explicitly set up Xcode to make backwards-compatible apps and it's kind of a pain? If anyone wants to try compiling it themselves, be my guest, there's a bunch of info in the forums and wiki.

Mordaedil posted:

I don't know if it's a bug on my end only or not, but I figure I'll post it here first. I was playing around with the filters and stuff, and noticed if I put my resolution to my maximum (1680x1050) and chose to have no filter and make it fullscreen, I got the "rainbow color" bug that older games tend to have. (see Fallout) Turning on a filter fixes it, but I'm not sure if it's my machine or something else causing this.
That's because SDL actually runs the game in 256-colors. Normally this is emulated because who the hell supports it anymore, but a bunch of systems go "yeah sure, I'll run it in 256-colors" and SDL goes "ok I'll leave it up to you!" and turns out they do a piss-poor job. The only workarounds are running windowed or using OpenGL rendering.

Mordaedil
Oct 25, 2007

openxcom filter seems to do a decent job, so why not. Some of these filter make me game drop into the 10's with these filters, which is impressive consider its age.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

0lives posted:

I've just tried this out for a bit, so far it's really cool. Some feedback;

All the different shader options are very neat, I was pretty tempted to play with scanlines on.
The radar overlay is indeed a great help when placing bases.
The little UI touches, like being able to right-click things to move whole stacks of items is very well done.

Many little things that are all very much appreciated. Makes the age of the game less apparent. Thanks for making this! Some problems I had though, the auto-scrolling on the combat map was just really broken, sometimes I couldn't scroll up, or it would scroll in a different direction than what I was pushing towards. Click-and-drag scrolling works fine though, so I can just use that. Also, how do you quit the game from within the combat map? Maybe I'm just blind but I could not find a way to quit out, I have to use ctrl-alt-delete to close the game from within the combat map. Anyway, good job, and I hope to play more later!
I forgot to mention this, but if you're getting fed up with the scroll issues, you can grab the latest nightly build which should take care of the problem.

As for quitting from the Battlescape, the only way out is by aborting the mission. Maybe we'll add in a Quit button later.

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

I like pixels in my old school 2D games so I just went with the openXcom filter. It's smoother, fairly crisp, doesn't do too much.

Also, for some reason the game crashes whenever I try to change the resolution in windowed mode. It doesn't crash when I apply the resolution change, but when I click the arrow. I have to switch to full screen, select the resolution I want, then go back to windowed. I have a Phenom II X4, Radeon 6870, on Windows 8.
A lot of people seem to be having this problem, but it seems impossible to reproduce on our end.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

The game crashed on my second mission. It was a terror, one enemy floater was left, on his turn he.. Threw a grenade, I guess, since he exploded. The game crashed the second this happened. It might just have been a one-time event, but I couldn't see if it would happen again, since I didn't save during that battle.

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Also, I can't seem to prime my grenades anymore. I turned on the option that grenades primed to 0 would explode the same round they were thrown, not after it, but that didn't say anything about being unable to prime your grenades at all.

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Also, I can't seem to prime my grenades anymore. I turned on the option that grenades primed to 0 would explode the same round they were thrown, not after it, but that didn't say anything about being unable to prime your grenades at all.
The option replaces the "prime" option with "explode instantly", though I can see the confusion. Maybe we should change it to work like that.

Edit: It's been changed now.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 16:03

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

SupSuper posted:

The option replaces the "prime" option with "explode instantly", though I can see the confusion. Maybe we should change it to work like that.

Edit: It's been changed now.

Awesome! I wish I had any technical knowhow to help you with this, it's really an amiable job you're all doing.

Oh, how many foreign letters does the game support? I know you've added Umlauts, but what about letters proper?

EDIT: And I just noticed how the Chinese first names are purely English names like Eddie, Franklin and Jenny, that can't be right.

THE BAR fucked around with this message at May 18, 2013 around 16:28

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

THE BAR posted:

Awesome! I wish I had any technical knowhow to help you with this, it's really an amiable job you're all doing.

Oh, how many foreign letters does the game support? I know you've added Umlauts, but what about letters proper?
The game supports as many letters as you want, it's just a matter of drawing them. Usually translators will add in new foreign letters as necessary. You can find a current listing of all font characters in Font.dat.

THE BAR posted:

EDIT: And I just noticed how the Chinese first names are purely English names like Eddie, Franklin and Jenny, that can't be right.
http://openxcom.org/forum/index.php...9.html#msg11239

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

Neat! I'll throw in some suggestions at the site proper.

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

fantastic

Nice. I just gifted my brother a Steam copy of XCom that this will go nicely with.

JerikTelorian
Jan 18, 2007

That's right. I'm DOCTOR Light. P-H-D

Has anyone found a mod for this that replicates the use of XComUtil or UFOExtender? I rather liked some of the changes in the former (like HE destroying UFO walls) and UI changes in the latter.

Jack Trades
Nov 30, 2010

I also really love the "random UFO layouts" feature in xcomUtil, it would be nice to have the same thing in OpenXcom.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Some missions, you just can't get rid of a bomb

Good lord, this has a random battle feature! You just took the replay value of XCom and tripled it.

EDIT: Turn 1, Emmanuelle De Luca steps off the Skyranger and is immediately shot in the back. So I select Dion Figueroa, have him step off the opposite side of the ramp and spot a Snakeman. I order Dion to kneel, it triggers another reaction shot from the Snakeman, and Dion gets shot dead too. So it hurts.

Random feedback:
It'd be nice if we could access Options->Controls from inside the Battlescape, to check keybinds
Could "Disable Psionics" be added to the Advanced rules?
I love the TU reserves are preserved across turns and soldiers now
It'd help if, in the pre-game equipment screen, some kind of mark or note or number could be added to the soldiers name to tell me his position on the Skyranger

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at Jun 22, 2013 around 01:45

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

JerikTelorian posted:

Has anyone found a mod for this that replicates the use of XComUtil or UFOExtender? I rather liked some of the changes in the former (like HE destroying UFO walls) and UI changes in the latter.
Could you be more specific to what features you're missing? We support most bugfixes / UI changes like reorder soldiers, queuing facilities, saving equipment, etc. Other stuff like HE destroying UFO walls can probably be easily achieved by modifying the ruleset.

Jack Trades posted:

I also really love the "random UFO layouts" feature in xcomUtil, it would be nice to have the same thing in OpenXcom.

gradenko_2000 posted:

Good lord, this has a random battle feature! You just took the replay value of XCom and tripled it.

EDIT: Turn 1, Emmanuelle De Luca steps off the Skyranger and is immediately shot in the back. So I select Dion Figueroa, have him step off the opposite side of the ramp and spot a Snakeman. I order Dion to kneel, it triggers another reaction shot from the Snakeman, and Dion gets shot dead too. So it hurts.

Random feedback:
It'd be nice if we could access Options->Controls from inside the Battlescape, to check keybinds
Could "Disable Psionics" be added to the Advanced rules?
I love the TU reserves are preserved across turns and soldiers now
It'd help if, in the pre-game equipment screen, some kind of mark or note or number could be added to the soldiers name to tell me his position on the Skyranger
Thanks for the feedback, we will look into these.
For reference, I believe soldiers in the inventory screen are automatically ordered by their position on the Skyranger (so first one selected is first one to go), but I'm not 100% sure.

memy
Oct 15, 2011

Is this compatible with XComUtil?

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

Having played about a dozen random battles so far, I think the inventory needs to have more than 11 of each item, since you can bring more than a dozen soldiers to a mission and since you effectively have infinite amounts of armor to pass around anyway.

This is all really smooth though - the random battles just added "excellent 15 min tactical time-waster" to XCOM's long-list of bullet points of why its so great.

JerikTelorian
Jan 18, 2007

That's right. I'm DOCTOR Light. P-H-D

SupSuper posted:

Could you be more specific to what features you're missing? We support most bugfixes / UI changes like reorder soldiers, queuing facilities, saving equipment, etc. Other stuff like HE destroying UFO walls can probably be easily achieved by modifying the ruleset.

Part of this is that I'm just lazy and was hoping someone made the ruleset changes already so I didn't have to. I assume that I can change the base layout there too, right?

But, there is one neat UI thing that was featured in UFOExtender but didn't make it into OpenXCom -- stats on the loadout screen. This was a super-cool feature because it meant I could always find the right guns for people without getting a name wrong and accidentally giving a waifish nerd a rocket launcher and heavy rockets.

EDIT: I'm a stupid motherfucker. Most of this is in the advanced options. I'm sorry for ever doubting you SupSuper
EDIT2: I never actually doubted you I'm just really lazy.

JerikTelorian fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2013 around 15:13

SupSuper
Apr 8, 2009

edit: ^^^^ haha all is forgiven

JerikTelorian posted:

Part of this is that I'm just lazy and was hoping someone made the ruleset changes already so I didn't have to. I assume that I can change the base layout there too, right?

But, there is one neat UI thing that was featured in UFOExtender but didn't make it into OpenXCom -- stats on the loadout screen. This was a super-cool feature because it meant I could always find the right guns for people without getting a name wrong and accidentally giving a waifish nerd a rocket launcher and heavy rockets.

You can also just click the rank in the inventory screen.

memy posted:

Is this compatible with XComUtil?
Sorta. We can't support the original XComUtil, since it's a mod that relies on modifying the original EXE, so we just try to reproduce its features where we can. Try it out and see if there's anything in particular you miss.

SupSuper fucked around with this message at Jun 24, 2013 around 15:24

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

SupSuper posted:

Sorta. We can't support the original XComUtil, since it's a mod that relies on modifying the original EXE, so we just try to reproduce its features where we can. Try it out and see if there's anything in particular you miss.

I'm now up to Mar 1999 in my current game, with about 20 UFO crashes and 3 Terror Missions done, although I haven't intercepted any UFO bigger than a Large Scout.

Stuff from XComUtil that I miss are:
* Turning off psi-combat completely
* Fighting all battles in the daytime
* Stat strings on soldier names (actually not that big a deal since I've found that doing it manually lets me track how my soldiers are growing in stats). EDIT: I've found that there seems to be a limit on how long a name can be. Is it possible to change this?
* Not an XComUtil feature, but it'd be nice if you could view the available/maximum space on your Living Quarters/General Stores by mousing over them or by clicking on the facility in the base view (as if you were selling it)

A couple of other questions:
* All of my UFO missions have been crash-landings after shoot-downs, but sometimes the UFO interiors are still completely "whole" as if they were landed. No idea if the number of live aliens has changed though, but is this normal or a bug?

* The "bug" where a UFO site will stay active forever as long as you have a craft heading towards it has been fixed, right? In that case, how long do (crash and terror) sites stay active?

* The OpenXCom wiki says that the radar stacking bug has been fixed. If so, how do the detection chances stack? Would 2 Large Radar Systems give me a 40% or a 36% detection chance?

* What's the cap on stat growth? This is one of my star players:

I'm wondering how much better she can get. (She's going to be cannon fodder as soon as psi comes into play with 20 Bravery )

Also, hot tip for players: Holding down the CTRL-key when you issue a shoot command will force the soldier to shoot even if there's no line-of-sight. I've found this extremely useful once you have Laser weapons or better because the soldier will just blast through whatever walls are in the way of the shot.

gradenko_2000 fucked around with this message at Jun 30, 2013 around 03:43

«7 »