Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

I attempted to create a mint account today, I was really drawn to the automatic entries (current YNAB user). The deal breaker for me is that it expects you to have a savings account for each goal you set. I have several savings goals and only 2 savings accounts. I could create a budget account and have it carry over, but I would not be able to enter a starting amount.

I suppose I will just stick to YNAB, which is a great program and can do a lot more than Mint. It just is not quite a slick and straight forward as Mint.

Do most of you guys use some software/app for your budgets? Or do you have spreadsheets that you journal everything in?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

PhantomOfTheCopier posted:

Allocation techniques

Thanks for the write-up, it was pretty informative. I now know that I use a Pareto method for my estimated monthly income then apply any amount I earn in excess (overtime/spiffs) using a percentage system.

The percentages are generally pretty irresponsible (mostly discretionary stuff and goodies for myself), but since I view it as "extra" income. I can justify the indulgence.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

Only have data from Nov 1st to now.

Fuel: 2.46%
Groceries: 3.61%
Eating Out: 6.56%

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

https://financier.io/ is a free YNAB type budgeting software, you could use it to track expenses only if you wanted to. To get the most out of it though it costs $12 a year to get sync between devices. The only weakness based on what you said is the charts/reports function. Currently it only has a month net worth chart.

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

It really is a shame, budget creation part of it doesn't seem to warrant very much activity. Perhaps we should include budget critiques/discussion as part of the thread (not sure if there is already a place for it).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Diplomat
Dec 14, 2009

TraderStav posted:

Here's February. No time for commentary now but tee up questions.

I really dig the presentation, going to have to steal these for my budget.

• Locked thread